PDA

View Full Version : The creation of Air UK. Why did it happen ?

Mooncrest
3rd Mar 2020, 10:24
It's just over forty years ago that Air UK was formed, through the merger of British Island Airways and Air Anglia, plus Air Wales and Air West. Something I have never learned in all these years is what the specific motivation(s) was for the merger in the first place. I know nothing of the two smaller players, but BIA and Air Anglia shared some parallels, e.g. medium-size propellor fleet mainstay (Herald and F27), recent introduction of jets (1-11 and F28) and also the recent introduction of the Embraer Bandeirante. Perhaps these were significant factors. I remember reading in the final Air Anglia timetable that both airlines were owned by the British and Commonwealth Shipping Group, yet I know this has been disputed on this site, with mention of the Cayzer family, Norwich Union and Reckitt and Colman being cited as at least part-owners of one or the other ! I honestly don't know but I hope somebody else does.

Thankyou.

Groundloop
3rd Mar 2020, 11:08
The Cayzer family were the main shareholders in the British and Commonwealth Shipping Group.

Mooncrest
3rd Mar 2020, 15:56
Thankyou, Groundloop. I kind of remembered there was some connection between Cayzer and B&C.

Herod
3rd Mar 2020, 17:01
Generally rationalisation, and to create a viable "third force" regional airline. Bear in mind the Dart Herald's days were numbered anyway, so concentrating on the F27 was a sensible move (apologies to any ex-Herald pilots)

It's pretty well covered here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirUK

Mooncrest
3rd Mar 2020, 20:48
Thankyou Herod. It's interesting that British Midland appears to be overlooked as a significant player in 1980 but perhaps that company wasn't ramping up its Heathrow schedules at the time.

Herod
4th Mar 2020, 07:57
I think we could probably say that there were effectively three airlines operating at that level. Dan Air, British Midland and AirUK. Each had their own operating strategy. Dan Air was doing a lot of IT work with the jets, Midland was concentrating on Heathrow, and AirUK was developing a network around UK, and of course increasing their contribution to KLM and Amsterdam.

Mooncrest
4th Mar 2020, 10:29
Curious as well that the newly-formed Air UK quickly ditched its jets at the same time as BMA was beginning to build up its DC9 fleet, as well as modernise its 707s to keep them in service for another four or five years. Also, 1980 was the year Dan Air finally pensioned off the Comet and began a slow acquisition of more modern jets in the form of 737s, more 727s and, a little later, the 146. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I always enjoyed seeing the BIA and Air UK Heralds, especially when their numbers were decreasing in favour of additional F27s. I wonder if it would be fair to say that BIA got the better deal with the Air Anglia merger ? Their man got the top job and was able to immediately begin withdrawing his old bangers and later have the opportunity to reincarnate BIA and thus more or less carry on where he left off.

bean
6th Mar 2020, 13:32
In 1980 when the merger took place the f27s were the old bangers
The f27s in the fleet were built between 1959 and 1963.The Heralds between 1962 and 1964.
All of the f27s at that time were series 200 barring 1 100 so unsuitable for freight
All Heralds had large double doors at the back which made them perfect for freight. Air Uk
K inherited a lot of freight contracts from BIA including the Channel Islands neespaper runs.
The Herlds had very good utilisation

Herod
6th Mar 2020, 16:20
However, the Heralds were phased out, and the F27 fleet increased to, I believe, 16 frames at its peak. BTW, the F27 was quite capable of newspaper runs. Been there, done that.

Mooncrest
9th Mar 2020, 20:22
Fair point about the Heralds actually being a few years younger than the F27s. However, the fact that their withdrawal was earlier and rather faster than that of their Dutch cousins does suggest they were not the preferred or superior type in the combined fleet. I also wasn't aware that Air UK did freight runs with the Heralds. Channel Express, of course, did so with both Heralds and F27s.

Herod
9th Mar 2020, 21:59
Back in 1980, AirUK had an F27 sitting at East Midlands. During the day it did crew training. At night it was operated as a freighter, East Midlands-Amsterdam-Stansted. It would then sit at Stansted until some silly hour in the morning, waiting for the newspapers to arrive. Then it was back to Amsterdam, and finally East Midlands again.

OUAQUKGF Ops
10th Mar 2020, 10:03
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/450x300/g_bazj_g_beyk_g_apwj_sou_1984_450x300_426aba3077a0378e4bb7b6 4ca6f59fb319fe3b0f.jpg
Southampton 1984. Photo credit Barry Friend.

https://www.airukreunion.co.uk/g-apwj-final-commercial-herald-flight/

barry lloyd
10th Mar 2020, 12:13
Thankyou, Groundloop. I kind of remembered there was some connection between Cayzer and B&C.

As one who worked for a brief period at Concorde House in Air UK ops, I remember that shipping movements were received on the teleprinter, since we were the only part of the group which worked 24 hours. I well remember receiving a telex to the effect that one of the ships had got into difficulties in Hong Kong and having to ring a senior being in B&C at about 3am to inform him of this.
Prior to this, I worked at BLK before they closed the base there, where Herald maintenance was undertaken. There were a couple of 'hangar queens' in the fleet, one of which was known as 'The Olympic Flame', because it never went out. The F-27s proved much more reliable,

GAZIN
10th Mar 2020, 18:44
I well remember doing config. changes on the F27's at STN. All the seats out, into a Luton van, in the evening. Then all back in again, early morning, ready for the morning passenger schedules.

Herod
10th Mar 2020, 21:51
The F-27s proved much more reliable,

Being a very simple aeroplane, there wasn't much to go wrong, although the pneumatics could catch some people out. I always considered it to be a "Ronseal" aeroplane. It "did what it said on the tin".

Arthur Bellcrank
11th Mar 2020, 17:41
The Herald was better suited to the freight role, the large rear doors and robust interior were an advantage over the F27. Towards the end of the Herald's working life the shortage of spares and lack of manufacturers support made maintaining the type rather challenging. I was one of the BIA engineers at Blackpool that moved down to Norwich on the formation of Air Uk. I spent around 20 years as a type rated LAE on both aircraft types, the F27 was a doddle to maintain, but I have very fond memories of the Herald despite the problems.
In the main the Herald operation was reasonably accident free with Channel Express, but we did have several bad incidents with the F27.
Back to the original OP question, two factors that I recall that may have prompted the parent Company to buy Air Anglia may have been the east coast routes and definitely the hangars and support shops at Norwich were far better than the old sheds at Blackpool.

barry lloyd
11th Mar 2020, 17:46
The Herald was better suited to the freight role, the large rear doors and robust interior were an advantage over the F27. Towards the end of the Herald's working life the shortage of spares and lack of manufacturers support made maintaining the type rather challenging. I was one of the BIA engineers at Blackpool that moved down to Norwich on the formation of Air Uk. I spent around 20 years as a type rated LAE on both aircraft types, the F27 was a doddle to maintain, but I have very fond memories of the Herald despite the problems.
In the main the Herald operation was reasonably accident free with Channel Express, but we did have several bad incidents with the F27.
Back to the original OP question, two factors that I recall that may have prompted the parent Company to buy Air Anglia may have been the east coast routes and definitely the hangars and support shops at Norwich were far better than the old sheds at Blackpool.

Perfectly summed up, Arthur.

OUAQUKGF Ops
11th Mar 2020, 19:10
Arthur, do you recall a run of Hydraulic Pipe Failures on the BIA Heralds circa 1976-77? It got beyond a joke and usually happened in the late mornings and more often than not the aircraft originated from Blackpool and would end up AOG in Exeter. It happened so often that from the Ops point of view it soon became a sort of head in hands job. The situation only being saved by some good station engineering and the splendid Skippers and their Crews who would agree to 'Go into Discretion'.

Arthur Bellcrank
11th Mar 2020, 21:00
I didn't join BIA until June 79 so this was a little before my time, however chaffed hydraulic pipes were an ongoing challenge, the problem area as I remember were the hydraulic lines that ran forward of the wing front spar to the nacelle, these powered the retraction jacks, sequence valves, brakes and gear door jacks, these used to chafe through with wing vibration, due to the length of the individual pipes replacement was a challenge so inline repair inserts were fitted, this made the problem worse due to the congested areas.
For an aircraft of this size the hydraulics were very complex, as well as leaks "rapid cycling" was a common problem, this was caused by internal component leaks which prevented the system from maintaining full pressure without a constant pressure supply, the main culprits for internal leaks were thermal relief valves and door jack actuators.
The F27 pneumatic system was far simpler, however was prone to freezing if the water drains were not religiously drained.

Simplythebeast
11th Mar 2020, 21:32
I recall flying to Tunisia as a passenger with AirUK. The return flight was interesting as we left SFAX enroute to (I think) Gatwick the aircraft (BAC1-11) didnt climb as one would expect and the Captain advised us that there was an issue with cabin pressurisation so he was diverting to Tunis.
On landing at Tunis passengers were taken to the lounge to await the A/C being repaired. We could quite clearly see the aircraft on the apron and we watched as the Captain and FO got a set of ladders, climbed up, opened the engine cowling and pottered about with a spanner before closing it up, climbing down and shortly afterwards we reboarded. The Captain then told us that he thought he had fixed the issue and we were on our way.
He invited anyone interested to have a look in the cockpit so I went up and had a look. I joked that if he diverted again over the UK could he perhaps fly into Teesside airport to save us the train journey home. He pointed at the fuel gauges and said we will be lucky to divert anywhere as they wouldnt accept the credit card for fuel at Tunis. Im pretty sure he would have been joking but maybe not? Happy days around about 1980.

Mooncrest
11th Mar 2020, 22:04
Thankyou for your insights Arthur, they make much sense.

OUAQUKGF Ops
11th Mar 2020, 22:55
Thanks for your very interesting reply Arthur. Now forty something years on I know exactly what that hydraulic problem was. I don't think I ever probed an engineer too deeply into what a particular snag was and My Goodness when a sprog one soon learnt never to be so foolish as to ask an engineer how long he was going to take to fix the bally thing! Some the BIA Station Engineers at LGW had a wonderful way with words....and with their tools too.

Phileas Fogg
12th Mar 2020, 05:25
I'm not sure that BIA & AA ever became truly amalgamated what with a Head Office remaining in Redhill and an Operational HQ in Norwich, there was a 'them & us' friction between the two which I recall settled down somewhat following the relocation to Stansted.

Based myself in Norwich wef 1985 of course I heard the AA side of things, that the HPR7's days were numbered, that there was only so much profit to be had on island routes, the 1-11 IT operation was losing money and the story doing the rounds was that PV having married one of the directors daughter's was given the 1-11's and the BIA name to 'go and play with those' having, the group, tried unsuccessfully to sell that side of the operation … Amusing though because once any AUK F28's had gone they were dry-leasing back two of their previous 1-11's to operate the Scotland/AMS routes.

AUK also supposedly set-up Manx Airlines in partnership with BMA but that was more like AUK giving BIA's IOM operation away with the newly formed Manx becoming part of the Airlines of Britain group along with BMA, Loganair, London City Airways and any others that may have slipped my mind.

Previous posts mention F27 serviceability etc. but a lack of serviceability certainly set us enough challenges in Ops combined with operating a fleet of some five Sheds which were even worse, not to mention the two dry-leased BIA 'Geriatric Jets' I held the record for sub-chartering in some 7 or 8 aircraft during one 90 minutes lunch period, we were regularly chartering the likes of BAF VC8's, South-East Air HPR7's, TalAir Bandit/Shed, Kondair PA31, KLM anything up to a DC9 size, Paramount MD83, Air Holland (or something like that) Convair 580, Brown Air G1, Gill Air's first SD330 G-RNMO (Geronimo) and these are just some that spring to mind.

And didn't the F27's have two (to be sure to be sure) green lights for the nosewheel?

OUAQUKGF Ops
12th Mar 2020, 09:44
Well I worked for both Air Anglia and BIA in the days when BIA were primarily operating scheduled services with Heralds. Peter Villa was our Boss and you couldn't meet a nicer more approachable, well-grounded bloke with a bit of an aviation pedigree, (his dad being 'Pancho' in his day, a pilot of some repute). It was a brilliant little airline, superb air/cabin crew and pretty efficient too.

Here is Villa's view on Air Anglia quoted in an article about Air Anglia in 'The Aeroplane' a couple of years ago: "They put 85-seater aeroplanes on what had previously been operated by 44-seat F27s and they put F27s on routes that had been operated by Chieftains. The traffic didn't come up to the requirements. I don't think they had really worked out the market potential - it very rapidly became obvious they were loosing a fortune."

Wilbur Wright and Jim Crampton the founding directors of Air Anglia joined the board of Air UK but soon retired. Probably only too happy to realise their initial investment from all those years before. They both had other well established business interests to pursue.

My erstwhile colleague Phil Chapman Commercial Manager Air Anglia and later with Air UK remarks that the differences between Air Anglia and BIA were like 'Chalk and Cheese'. Air Anglia had a fully automated reservations system BIA did not. Indeed Phil Chapman reveals that Air Anglia once considered buying BIA but at the time it didn't suit Air Anglia to do so.

PAXboy
12th Mar 2020, 23:20
I recall a trip with AUK in 1996, it was a simple STN-AMS for an onward train journey to a convention on a F50. The in flight magazine had the CEO shouting the odds about how profitable they were. I remember thinking, "He's asking to be taken over." Very soon KLM did just that.

Phileas Fogg
12th Mar 2020, 23:48
KLM had shares, and increasing shares, in Air UK long before the 1990's, even before the name change to 'KLM UK' KLM already owned Air UK 100%.

Sotonsean
13th Mar 2020, 01:01
KLM had shares, and increasing shares, in Air UK long before the 1990's, even before the name change to 'KLM UK' KLM already owned Air UK 100%.

Your absolutely correct with your assessment of KLM and it's association with Air UK. But just to add to what you have already quoted.

Follow from the beginning of the gradual liberalisation of the European Union (EU) internal air market in 1987, Dutch flag carrier KLM, a long standing business partner of Air UK and it's predecessor Air Anglia acquired a 14.9% minority stake in Air UK's holding company. In 1995 KLM increased it's minority stake in Air UK to 45%. In 1997 KLM became Air UK's sole shareholder when it acquired B&C's (British and Commonwealth) stake in British Air Transport (Holdings). The following year Air UK was renamed KLM uk.
​​​​
In 1997, KLM became the sole owner of Air UK. This resulted in the airline being rebranded KLM uk in January 1998 including the adoption of a new livery based on the KLM livery. The legal name changed from Air UK limited to KLM uk limited in April 1998.

in 2002 KLM decided to integate what was left of KLM uk into KLM Cityhopper, it's wholly owned Dutch based regional subsidiary. It also decided to sell BUZZ it's low cost airline that had taken over many of the former KLM uk routes to Ryanair the following year. This transaction constituted the final link in a long chain of events.

B&C (British and Commonwealth) had a long history in aviation being involved in many airlines up until 1998. Those included British United Airways, British United Air Ferries, British United Island Airways, which later became British Island Airways BIA in 1970 and Air UK after the merger of BIA with Air Anglia in 1980. B&C were also were also a major shareholder in Bristow Helicopters, acquiring full control in 1985.

For those of you who are interested in shipping which is my forte, British and Commonwealth shipping originally owned the iconic British shipping company the Union Castle Line. B&C withdrew completely from shipping in 1982. B&C was formed in 1955 and was liquidated in 1990 after running into financial problems.

Phileas Fogg
13th Mar 2020, 04:22
B&C (British and Commonwealth) had a long history in aviation being involved in many airlines up until 1998. Those included British United Airways, British United Air Ferries, British United Island Airways, which later became British Island Airways BIA in 1970 and Air UK after the merger of BIA with Air Anglia in 1980. B&C were also were also a major shareholder in Bristow Helicopters, acquiring full control in 1985.

Not forgetting Servisair aka Circusair and I seem to recall Airwork Services along with Aviation Traders also!

Sotonsean
13th Mar 2020, 12:02
In 1958 Freddie Laker sold Aviation Traders ATL and Air Charter to Airwork Services. The deal became affective in January 1959 when both companies joined the Airwork group.

In 1960 the Airwork group merged with Hunting-Clan to form BUA British United Airways.

By the time Airwork merged with Hunting-Clan "which was owned by the Cayzer family" in July 1960 the former air transport subsidiaries included Channel Air Bridge, Morton Air Services and Transair.

In 1962 British United Airways purchased Jersey Airlines after BEA sold its 25% minority holding. Jersey Airways became part of the British United Airways group of companies. In August 1963, Jersey Airlines changed it's name to British United (CI) Airways.

Following the BUA groups 1967/68 reorganisation, BUA (CI) was absorbed into British United Island Airways in November 1968. British United Island Airways was a regional sister airline of British United Airways. In 1970 after British and Commonwealth sold British United Airways to Caledonian Airways to form British Caledonian Airways B&C retained British United Island Airways and it was renamed in 1970 to British Island Airways BIA.

In 1980 British Island Airways merged with Air Anglia to form Air UK. The rest of which has already been discussed in detail.

Servisair which I purposely omitted because we were discussing the airline's of the B&C group.

Although I am very familiar with Servisair I'm not in a position to give a detailed account of the companies history but I'm aware of the fact that the B&C group were involved with the company at some point during it's existence.

All that I do know that it was formed in 1952 and it was at one time the United Kingdom's largest ground handler and was to be seen at the majority of the UK's airport's. Servisair was acquired and merged into Swissport along with Aviator Airport Alliance in 2014.

Phileas Fogg
14th Mar 2020, 03:09
In 1958 Freddie Laker sold Aviation Traders ATL and Air Charter to Airwork Services. The deal became affective in January 1959 when both companies joined the Airwork group.

In 1960 the Airwork group merged with Hunting-Clan to form BUA British United Airways.

By the time Airwork merged with Hunting-Clan "which was owned by the Cayzer family" in July 1960 the former air transport subsidiaries included Channel Air Bridge, Morton Air Services and Transair.

In 1962 British United Airways purchased Jersey Airlines after BEA sold its 25% minority holding. Jersey Airways became part of the British United Airways group of companies. In August 1963, Jersey Airlines changed it's name to British United (CI) Airways.

Following the BUA groups 1967/68 reorganisation, BUA (CI) was absorbed into British United Island Airways in November 1968. British United Island Airways was a regional sister airline of British United Airways. In 1970 after British and Commonwealth sold British United Airways to Caledonian Airways to form British Caledonian Airways B&C retained British United Island Airways and it was renamed in 1970 to British Island Airways BIA.

In 1980 British Island Airways merged with Air Anglia to form Air UK. The rest of which has already been discussed in detail.

Servisair which I purposely omitted because we were discussing the airline's of the B&C group.

Although I am very familiar with Servisair I'm not in a position to give a detailed account of the companies history but I'm aware of the fact that the B&C group were involved with the company at some point during it's existence.

All that I do know that it was formed in 1952 and it was at one time the United Kingdom's largest ground handler and was to be seen at the majority of the UK's airport's. Servisair was acquired and merged into Swissport along with Aviator Airport Alliance in 2014.

Well put it this way, wherever Air UK operated if there was a Servisair present then they had the handling contract, it did lead to the occasional problem whereas Servisair might have considered the aircraft to be there own and making unauthorised operation decisions, can't name names but one Servisair on top of a hill in Yorkshire could be a problem.

And at STN it was Aviation Traders doing Air UK's line maintenance, in the good old days of STN with just a few Air UK Sheds, Servisair and Aviation Traders the parties would be good fun, it was like we were all part of the same family.

Sotonsean
14th Mar 2020, 04:38
Phileas Fogg

I'm aware that Servisair generally handled Air UK if they had a presence at an airport in the UK that the airline served. But where Servisair didn't have a presence either Air UK self handled including line maintenance or another handling agent was used.

Although Servisair were never present at Southampton Airport during it's history considering that Air UK had a large presence there and before that BUA, BUIA and from 1970 BIA. They all self handled at Southampton Airport including line maintenance.

​​​​​After the merger of BCAL and British Airways in 1988 Servisair set up shop at LGW as the third ground handling agent, alongside British Airways and Gatwick Handling.
​​​​​
After the demise of BCAL in July 1988, Gatwick Handling took over ground handling and line maintenance for Air UK rather than Servisair.

I guess that it made sense for Aviation Traders to do line maintenance for Air UK at Stansted considering that they were on-site and it saved the airline having to have their own dedicated maintenance team at the airport. And Servisair was already an incumbent gound handler at Stansted with Stansted Handling a subsidiary of Gatwick Handling the second ground handling agent at Stansted just arriving at the airport.

For example British Caledonian Airways at LGW handled many airlines from ground handling to line maintenance including British Island Airways long after Caledonian's purchase of British United Airways from B&C in 1970 to form the independent British Caledonian Airways. BCAL continued to handle BIA and it's successor Air UK right up until BCAL merged with British Airways in July 1988. I guess that it made commercial sense to do so.

I take it that your a former employee of Servisair going from the content of your post.

​​​​​​One person on top of the hill in Yorkshire...... let me think..... Leeds Bradford Airport 😉

On a side note....I received an email regarding your post which was timed at 03.09, I'm pleased that I'm not the only person who keeps odd hours. Insomnia can be a real problem can't it 🤔

Phileas Fogg
14th Mar 2020, 09:28
Phileas Fogg

I'm aware that Servisair generally handled Air UK if they had a presence at an airport in the UK that the airline served. But where Servisair didn't have a presence either Air UK self handled including line maintenance or another handling agent was used.

Although Servisair were never present at Southampton Airport during it's history considering that Air UK had a large presence there and before that BUA, BUIA and from 1970 BIA. They all self handled at Southampton Airport including line maintenance.

​​​​​After the merger of BCAL and British Airways in 1988 Servisair set up shop at LGW as the third ground handling agent, alongside British Airways and Gatwick Handling.
​​​​​
After the demise of BCAL in July 1988, Gatwick Handling took over ground handling and line maintenance for Air UK rather than Servisair.

I guess that it made sense for Aviation Traders to do line maintenance for Air UK at Stansted considering that they were on-site and it saved the airline having to have their own dedicated maintenance team at the airport. And Servisair was already an incumbent gound handler at Stansted with Stansted Handling a subsidiary of Gatwick Handling the second ground handling agent at Stansted just arriving at the airport.

For example British Caledonian Airways at LGW handled many airlines from ground handling to line maintenance including British Island Airways long after Caledonian's purchase of British United Airways from B&C in 1970 to form the independent British Caledonian Airways. BCAL continued to handle BIA and it's successor Air UK right up until BCAL merged with British Airways in July 1988. I guess that it made commercial sense to do so.

I take it that your a former employee of Servisair going from the content of your post.

​​​​​​One person on top of the hill in Yorkshire...... let me think..... Leeds Bradford Airport 😉

On a side note....I received an email regarding your post which was timed at 03.09, I'm pleased that I'm not the only person who keeps odd hours. Insomnia can be a real problem can't it 🤔

Sotonsean,

You've reminded me that Servisair set up shop at LGW but there is something in my mind that suggests that Servisair LGW was of a somewhat different ownership to other Servisairs.

Nope, I've never worked for Servisair nor any handling agent, I'll give you a clue, until 1982 I worked for the largest DC10 operator outside of USA that 50% owned Gatwick Handling!

An email timed at 0309, well presuming that may be 0309 GMT and with my location being GMT+8 that would make my post at 1109 local time would it not?

rog747
14th Mar 2020, 10:14
Servisair that set up shop at LGW was a very different beast to the old S-Aair at say MAN from the 60's

At LGW they bought in to or took over Ogdens' handling (who in turn had taken over BA's 3rd party handling in 1988 after the BCAL takeover)

LGW handling back in the day (my day lol) was GHL (owned by Dan Air and Laker) BEA then BA, and BUA then BCAL - that was it until BA took over BCAL and Ogdens came in)

Sotonsean
14th Mar 2020, 11:23
Rog747

You are the expert when it comes to things like this and this site would be an absolute loss without you.

I knew there was another handling agent at LGW, I can remember the logo and the desks at LGW but for the life of me I could not remember the name of the company.

In actual fact I thought that Ogden Aviation Services were at LGW later than you have stated, I know that they didn't last at LGW for very long. When Ogden's first appeared at LGW I had never heard of them before and I can remember being rather surprised about that at the time.

In 1988 after the merger between BCAL and British Airways (although I always refer to it as more of a takeover than a merger, much to my sadness at the time) there was a lot of third party work for other ground handling agents such as Gatwick Handling Limited and Ogden Aviation Services after British Airways stopped handling them.

Servisair started at LGW after taking over Ogden Aviation Services or least taking over their handling. Ogden's presence at LGW was fairly short lived,.

Did Servisair buy Ogden's or did Ogden's just leave LGW and Servisair replace them?

​​​​​​Was Servisair at LGW replaced by Reed Aviation or did they operate at LGW at the same time?

After Dan Air's takeover by British Airways in 1992 Gatwick Handling Limited ownership was divided between Northwest and Delta. Gatwick Handling Limited merged with British Midland Handling Services, Midland Airport Services and Reed Aviation in 2000 to form Alliance UK (but I'm sure that you are totally aware of all that).

In what year did Swissport appear at LGW?

When Alliance UK was formed in 2000 there was themselves and I'm assuming Swissport as well as British Airways self handling making three handling agents at LGW at the time or was there a fourth?

Although we've slightly gone off thread from the topic of Air UK but it's an interesting story regarding the handling agents at LGW after the demise of BCAL in 1988 and the formation of Alliance UK from GHL in 2000 and the other companies concerned with that merger. Plus the inclusion of Ogden Aviation Services and Servisair.

ps I've yet to reply to your excellent post on the Stansted History and Nostalgia thread 😉
​​​​​​

old,not bold
14th Mar 2020, 19:15
Th.................s when a sprog one soon learnt never to be so foolish as to ask an engineer how long he was going to take to fix the bally thing! ............ too.

On the apron at a Gulf Airport, midday, air temp about 45 in the shade, VC10 in transit with a snag, 100 plus passengers in the lounge getting fractious, no news from station engineer, so eventually I walk over to the aircraft, find that engineer is right up in the nose cone, listen to muffled cursing and instructions to flight deck, and then tentatively and meekly call up to the almost invisible engineer, "any idea how long it'll be?".
Engineer slowly wriggles his way out of the nose, gets down to terra firma, looks at me, and walks to the edge of the apron, beckoning me to join him. When I get there he looks at me for a long moment, and says "I am not a magician. Maybe I can fix it, maybe I can't. I have no f*****g idea whatsoever how f*****g long it might take. But one thing I do know; it'll take a f*****g time longer if I have to stop what I'm doing and answer f*****g stupid questions while I'm trying to solve the problem." And with that he turned and walked back to the aircraft.

L66MBD
14th Mar 2020, 20:39
Where did Air UK Leisure (if at all) fit in to you Air UK later?

Mooncrest
14th Mar 2020, 21:57
Fascinating. So much, apparently incestuous, history to digest with Air UK and its numerous predecessors, not to mention all the Handling Agents at Gatwick.

The part from Phileas about Servisair at Leeds Bradford caught my attention. I remember in the late 80s an Air UK F27 landed and the Tower Controller instructed the flight crew to park at the far eastern end of the apron, far away from their usual contact stands in front of the terminal. When the crew queried this, the TWR Controller informed them in no uncertain terms that "the company" had requested a remote stand and to take it up with them. In other words, 'don't ask, nowt to do with me, not my problem.' I don't know if the company in question was Air UK Ops or good ol' Servisair at LBA but it makes me wonder now Phileas has raised the issue😜.

Helen49, the foregoing episode might interest you.

barry lloyd
14th Mar 2020, 22:55
Servisair, iirc, began as Manchester Airport Agencies. No relation to B&C, but Mike Bishop worked as a dispatcher for MAA and went on to greater things.

Phileas Fogg
15th Mar 2020, 00:16

Air UK (Leisure), in partnership with a tour operator came commencing operations during early 88 with a B737-200, it progressed on to operating more modern before being sold on during the 1990's.

Phileas Fogg
15th Mar 2020, 00:21
Fascinating. So much, apparently incestuous, history to digest with Air UK and its numerous predecessors, not to mention all the Handling Agents at Gatwick.

The part from Phileas about Servisair at Leeds Bradford caught my attention. I remember in the late 80s an Air UK F27 landed and the Tower Controller instructed the flight crew to park at the far eastern end of the apron, far away from their usual contact stands in front of the terminal. When the crew queried this, the TWR Controller informed them in no uncertain terms that "the company" had requested a remote stand and to take it up with them. In other words, 'don't ask, nowt to do with me, not my problem.' I don't know if the company in question was Air UK Ops or good ol' Servisair at LBA but it makes me wonder now Phileas has raised the issue😜.

Helen49, the foregoing episode might interest you.

Aircraft stand allocations etc., in my experience, always fall under the jurisdiction of the airport and/or handling agent, or a station manager if the operator has one, "company" does normally refer to the aircraft operator but presumably Servisair had a bigger fish coming in and wanted the little Fokker out of the way, that's their choice.

Sotonsean
15th Mar 2020, 04:27

In June 1987 Air UK announced that it would start a new charter airline to be based at London Stansted Airport which would start operating in 1988 with two leased Boeing 737-200 aircraft.

The company Air UK (Leisure) Limited was formed in 1987 with Air UK providing 30% of the £2.5 million capital, B&C Holding (the parent company of Air UK) 30% with the rest from the travel group Viking International.

Air UK Leisure started operations in 1988 with two leased Boeing 737-200's and the airline placed orders for four new Boeing 737-400's from a leasing company for delivery in October 1988.

The first flight was from London Stansted Airport to Faro in Portugal in April 1988. Air UK Leisure became the first operator of the Boeing 737-400 in Europe with the first delivery on the 14 October 1988.

Air UK Leisure went on to operate seven Boeing 737-400's on charter flights with base's at London Gatwick Airport, London Stansted Airport and Manchester Airport.

In 1993 Air UK Leisure introduced two leased Boeing 767-300's flying on behalf of the British tour operator Unijet.

In 1996 Air UK Leisure was sold to the tour operator Unijet and was renamed Leisure International Airways and moved it's main base from London Stansted Airport to London Gatwick Airport.

On the 29 March 1996 Leisure International Airways introduced the first of three Airbus A320's into service intended to replace the Boeing 737-400's.

In 1998 First Choice acquired the airline when it took over Unijet. The airline and operations were taken over by the First Choice in-house airline Air 2000.

rog747
15th Mar 2020, 08:10
Sotonsean -
Wow what a complement - thanks :)

I started my aviation career in 1971 with Air Spain (JA) and Vistajet Holidays who were JA's biggest UK charter client.
It all went on from there Court Line, Horizon, Gibair, Northeast, BCAL, BMA, Monarch, B/Airtours (KT) Ogden's, AE, Virgin plus few more unmentionables along the way LOL.

My best pal worked for Britannia 1981-1993 as No.1 CC at LTN then LGW.
Some of my friends from those times still fly as CC for BA on worldwide fleet or are still on the ground at LHR for various airlines.
I have many pals at Virgin.
Another great pal is at Air Canada LHR Concierge and is their oldest employee AFAIK Worldwide (He's 78 next week)
He joined BEA in 1959 then went to TWA during the LHR heyday years - He is in Concierge so he met all of the glamorous VIP's back in the day.
Not quite the same today lol.

I loved my job and met some super folk who I am still good friends with today. I enjoy Pprune since 2008.

Sotonsean
15th Mar 2020, 11:22
Sotonsean -
Wow what a complement - thanks :)

I started my aviation career in 1971 with Air Spain (JA) and Vistajet Holidays who were JA's biggest UK charter client.
It all went on from there Court Line, Horizon, Gibair, Northeast, BCAL, BMA, Monarch, B/Airtours (KT) Ogden's, AE, Virgin plus few more unmentionables along the way LOL.

My best pal worked for Britannia 1981-1993 as No.1 CC at LTN then LGW.
Some of my friends from those times still fly as CC for BA on worldwide fleet or are still on the ground at LHR for various airlines.
I have many pals at Virgin.
Another great pal is at Air Canada LHR Concierge and is their oldest employee AFAIK Worldwide (He's 78 next week)
He joined BEA in 1959 then went to TWA during the LHR heyday years - He is in Concierge so he met all of the glamorous VIP's back in the day.
Not quite the same today lol.

I loved my job and met some super folk who I am still good friends with today. I enjoy Pprune since 2008.

Hi Rog

Well the compliment is well deserved ☺️

Although I have only recently joined pprune I have been reading the forum's for many years now but I felt compelled to join after reading the Pan Am at London Gatwick thread and noticed that someone was obviously making some mistakes in his posts and know once was rectifying them 😉

You've certainly had a varied career with many airline's, all of them I'm familiar with some I've flown with?

I never saw any Air Spain aircraft but obviously I'm aware of them. The airline's colour scheme looked great on their DC 8's. Joining them in 1971 the airline were still operating the Britannia's, I think that the DC7's had gone by then.

On the other hand I remember Court Line very well but never got the opportunity to see either of their Tristars. I absolutely loved their livery, very modern for it's time and it was a bad day in aviation when Clarkson Holiday's went under and the inevitable collapse of Court Line.

Not long after the airline's collapse in 1974 my father took me on a sightseeing trip on a BIA Herald from Southampton Airport that took us over the Isle of Wight and a low level fly past over Bournemouth Airport with a collection of Court Line BAC 1-11's parked up outside the BAC Hanger's.

It's great to know that your friend is still involved in the airline industry and working as a concierge for Air Canada at 78yo. There used to be a great character in a similar position of a similar age that used to work for British Airways and before that BCAL at LGW that I used to speak to. Last time I saw him was eight years ago so he's long retired.

When you mentioned in one of your other posts about your flight on a Channel Airways Trident 1E, my second ever flight was on a Northeast Trident 1E from LHR to Palma in 1974. Operating as British Airways but still in the Northeast livery and the flight attendants still in Northeast uniform. As a family we were late boarding and the last on board I vividly remember everyone clapping much to my mother's embarrassment.

I never had the opportunity to fly with BCAL but they are without doubt my all time favourite airline and even though it's been 32 years since the takeover by British Airways I still miss them. London Gatwick Airport never seemed the same after their demise, it just didn't feel the same without seeing that beautiful livery along the piers.

I've just had a thought for two possible threads for the history and nostalgia forum.

The history of British Caledonian the second force airline.

And

Autair to Court Line to it's collapse.

What do you think?
​​​​
It's always good to read your posts and your contributions to pprune.

L66MBD
15th Mar 2020, 18:43
In June 1987 Air UK announced that it would start a new charter airline to be based at London Stansted Airport which would start operating in 1988 with two leased Boeing 737-200 aircraft.

The company Air UK (Leisure) Limited was formed in 1987 with Air UK providing 30% of the £2.5 million capital, B&C Holding (the parent company of Air UK) 30% with the rest from the travel group Viking International.

Air UK Leisure started operations in 1988 with two leased Boeing 737-200's and the airline placed orders for four new Boeing 737-400's from a leasing company for delivery in October 1988.

The first flight was from London Stansted Airport to Faro in Portugal in April 1988. Air UK Leisure became the first operator of the Boeing 737-400 in Europe with the first delivery on the 14 October 1988.

Air UK Leisure went on to operate seven Boeing 737-400's on charter flights with base's at London Gatwick Airport, London Stansted Airport and Manchester Airport.

In 1993 Air UK Leisure introduced two leased Boeing 767-300's flying on behalf of the British tour operator Unijet.

In 1996 Air UK Leisure was sold to the tour operator Unijet and was renamed Leisure International Airways and moved it's main base from London Stansted Airport to London Gatwick Airport.

On the 29 March 1996 Leisure International Airways introduced the first of three Airbus A320's into service intended to replace the Boeing 737-400's.

In 1998 First Choice acquired the airline when it took over Unijet. The airline and operations were taken over by the First Choice in-house airline Air 2000.

Thank you!

BACsuperVC10
17th Mar 2020, 14:27
It's just over forty years ago that Air UK was formed, through the merger of British Island Airways and Air Anglia, plus Air Wales and Air West. Something I have never learned in all these years is what the specific motivation(s) was for the merger in the first place. I know nothing of the two smaller players, but BIA and Air Anglia shared some parallels, e.g. medium-size propellor fleet mainstay (Herald and F27), recent introduction of jets (1-11 and F28) and also the recent introduction of the Embraer Bandeirante. Perhaps these were significant factors. I remember reading in the final Air Anglia timetable that both airlines were owned by the British and Commonwealth Shipping Group, yet I know this has been disputed on this site, with mention of the Cayzer family, Norwich Union and Reckitt and Colman being cited as at least part-owners of one or the other ! I honestly don't know but I hope somebody else does.

Thankyou.

As a kid in the 70s I remember see a TV advert of Air UK " Take the Blue Plane" it said.

BACsuperVC10
17th Mar 2020, 14:31
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/450x300/g_bazj_g_beyk_g_apwj_sou_1984_450x300_426aba3077a0378e4bb7b6 4ca6f59fb319fe3b0f.jpg
Southampton 1984. Photo credit Barry Friend.

https://www.airukreunion.co.uk/g-apwj-final-commercial-herald-flight/

nice photo...I only flew Air UK a very few times. STN-SOU-STN, STN-GCI-STN and MME-HUY .

Jhieminga
17th Mar 2020, 14:45
The history of British Caledonian the second force airline.
This would certainly be an interesting thread, but may I also recommend Dave Thaxter's website about everything BCal: BCal British Caledonian (http://www.british-caledonian.com/)
He also produced a lovely book about the airline, available from his site.

Groundloop
17th Mar 2020, 16:06
For the story behind BCAL you can't beat the man in the middle of it all:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Risk-Autobiography-Thomson-Politics/dp/0283995998

Sotonsean
18th Mar 2020, 08:35
This would certainly be an interesting thread, but may I also recommend Dave Thaxter's website about everything BCal: BCal British Caledonian (http://www.british-caledonian.com/)
He also produced a lovely book about the airline, available from his site.

That book is fantastic and it's proudly in my collection.

There is an excellent interview on YouTube with the late Sir Adam Thompson from Radio 4 explaining the history of BCAL right up to it's take over by British Airways in August 1988. I can't link to it right now but it's extremely interesting to listen to. He was a pure honest gentleman and in the interview you can clearly hear his sadness when he's explaining and recollecting the story.

Sotonsean
18th Mar 2020, 08:52
nice photo...I only flew Air UK a very few times. STN-SOU-STN, STN-GCI-STN and MME-HUY .

​​​​​This excellent excellent photo is on the Air UK reunion website at www.airukreunion.co.uk along with the excellent website www.british-caledonian (http://www.british-caledonian.com).com

Both site's have some excellent photos and hoards of information regarding both airlines for those who are interested.

Barry Field who took the above photo of the collection of Dart Herald's on the apron at Southampton Airport also has a huge collection of similar photos from that era posted on www.air-britain.com.

Many of his collection of photos are also posted on the two other websites I have listed.

I thoroughly recommend all three websites if anyone hasn't already seen them. But we are all aviation enthusiast's and we all share an interest in aviation nostalgia so I am hoping that ALL of you are already aware of the websites.

I would be honestly shocked if none of you weren't 😉

Many similar photos are to be seen in Flickr which is an absolute gold mine for avation photos especially from a bygone era. You could spend hours, days, months, years on Flickr viewing the excellent photos and you still see some that you have never come across before.

Obviously it goes without saying that I thoroughly recommend Flickr 🤗

When I get round to it I think that I will create that thread here on history and nostalgia regarding the history of British Caledonian Airways the second force airline.

I am sure that it will make for an extremely interesting thread 🤗

Sotonsean
18th Mar 2020, 09:00
As a kid in the 70s I remember see a TV advert of Air UK " Take the Blue Plane" it said.

Sorry to shatter your childhood memories but Air UK was not formed until early 1980 so that TV advert that your recollecting wasn't from the 1970's.

Phileas Fogg
18th Mar 2020, 13:49
Sorry to shatter your childhood memories but Air UK was not formed until early 1980 so that TV advert that your recollecting wasn't from the 1970's.

Buit I do recall an advert, from whatever era, of take the blue plane ... Maybe why all the ground servicing vehicles kept pranging into them, because they couldn't see them in the dark!

Herod
18th Mar 2020, 14:24
The advert certainly existed, just not in the seventies. Likewise the "You're closer to home" featuring a man sitting in an armchair with his cat on his lap. (fly from your local airport). Going further back, the Air Anglia "Britain's Right Hand Man", based on the fact that most Air Anglia routes served the eastern coast. (if you can call LBA "eastern coast")

OUAQUKGF Ops
18th Mar 2020, 15:02
​​​​​This excellent excellent photo is on the Air UK reunion website at www.airukreunion.co.uk along with the excellent website www.british-caledonian (http://www.british-caledonian.com).com

Both site's have some excellent photos and hoards of information regarding both airlines for those who are interested.

Barry Field who took the above photo of the collection of Dart Herald's on the apron at Southampton Airport also has a huge collection of similar photos from that era posted on www.air-britain.com.

Many of his collection of photos are also posted on the two other websites I have listed.

I thoroughly recommend all three websites if anyone hasn't already seen them. But we are all aviation enthusiast's and we all share an interest in aviation nostalgia so I am hoping that ALL of you are already aware of the websites.

I would be honestly shocked if none of you weren't 😉

Many similar photos are to be seen in Flickr which is an absolute gold mine for avation photos especially from a bygone era. You could spend hours, days, months, years on Flickr viewing the excellent photos and you still see some that you have never come across before.

Obviously it goes without saying that I thoroughly recommend Flickr 🤗

When I get round to it I think that I will create that thread here on history and nostalgia regarding the history of British Caledonian Airways the second force airline.

I am sure that it will make for an extremely interesting thread 🤗

The name is Barry Friend not Field and he worked in the Traffic Department at Southampton for BIA , Air UK and quite possibly for BUIA too. He was and probably still is a Top Man and had a wonderful way of reducing passenger back-logs to the Channel Islands after a weekend of CI Fog, thus saving a wasted rotation.

Phileas Fogg
18th Mar 2020, 23:47
The name is Barry Friend not Field and he worked in the Traffic Department at Southampton for BIA , Air UK and quite possibly for BUIA too. He was and probably still is a Top Man and had a wonderful way of reducing passenger back-logs to the Channel Islands after a weekend of CI Fog, thus saving a wasted rotation.

I remember Barry, not so long after I left AUK I had a call from my ex workmates in Ops, they subbed-in one of our B737-300's for a SOU/JER/SOU rotation.

Of a summer weekend it seemed like most of the AUK fleet would be heading towards the CI from all points north and south, then LATCC introduced flow control except from south coast airfields which included SOU and with all our flights routing via the SAM beacon, in those days we would apply for slots by phone, listening to a ringing tone for a maximum of 2 hours before the call would be disconnected and we try again etc.

It soon became ridiculous, hour after hour after hour went by with still no answer from the flow regulator, pretty much an entire fleet grounded and handling agents dealing with disgruntled pax, that was when I re-flight planned all flights destination SOU with JER/GCI as alternates briefing the crews to divert once overhead SOU and worst case scenario land at SOU, taxi around, and take-off again..

The LATCC civil supervisor accused us of cheating, we told him that we wouldn't need to cheat if his regulator would answer the phone, ah "but he's busy" he exclaimed, yes, "so are we" we replied, I think we shook flow control up a bit because things improved thereafter with phone calls getting answered.

Jerbourg
31st Aug 2021, 19:44
I've enjoyed reading through this forum - as I did the Air UK Herald forum yesterday, I added a few pics from a GCI Airport F/Book page to that & have borrowed a few to bring back some more memories here too.
Credit for the images to the photographers.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1716x1196/19800733_10158921501015133_7624403755059734881_o_cc582f9588d 01b65d078771a81709cd0a20807ab.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1708x1184/19983383_10158921501000133_8185886745455138333_o_cf197d9dd42 4398671a2083a96ceced21adc5331.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1659x1034/146_1__956d94d46846e2ac6e539071bc38a99ef35dd61a.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1362x840/g_baur_930b63fe995307071a131c7e8d070fc35c127f98.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1411x1133/g_bcdn_2_6dbd05191bac47e9786d75d1b1f0623730a5dd08.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1680x1172/g_bgyu_55a51b344dfa1b23b81a4ba72a3fd3ee0f82ee1d.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1570x937/g_bksu_d9b6a977481b3dc64b65cf12308eaa60618ab305.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1683x942/g_bniz_1__8e77916e6f4518b953ad2330cd6dff3f65a96963.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1658x893/g_dasi_fe6ffc8d431af7185ea317f162bf93678c678e0f.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1712x1180/g_ukfc_70c0dc264874ec4a0dedaa7fe5203d24c1996a1a.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1650x1028/g_ukhp_83c8d0f6ac57b21adb6d2f5529f2016fa8959215.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1638x1074/g_blgw_21e15ae283fb20516266b8462f8c3056a524e10c.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1676x997/g_uktg_0949ed77c324c42ae962229874af43a8cfa32834.jpg

Herod
31st Aug 2021, 20:40
Thanks Jerbourg. You've made an old man's evening. I've flown most of the F27s, 146s and the F100 you have there. First flight, F27 3rd Feb '79, last flight B737 29th Mar 2003 24 happy years

Jerbourg
13th Feb 2022, 14:52
Thanks Jerbourg. You've made an old man's evening. I've flown most of the F27s, 146s and the F100 you have there. First flight, F27 3rd Feb '79, last flight B737 29th Mar 2003 24 happy years
HEROD, I've come across these Air UK pics & thought you might appreciate them too.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/uk_1__d15baa936ee56f65118b58472be4cf7012598317.jpg
G-BCDN
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1005/uk_8__ac895a06714921bc47cd4bcb57d7316a93603be5.jpg
Framed by the wing of G-BDVS
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x980/uk_g_bdvs_30a8c28f98e60882404bae886c4aabb33eb4983c.jpg
G-BDVS
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1093/uk_g_blfj_6199d444736f958f6160aa5ae8f530f6aacbd4cc.jpg
G-BLFJ
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1932x1112/uk_g_bncy_a6d2b1dcfdee4d3624c822cbf349bda1bf5730e9.jpg
G-BNCY
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1015/uk_g_dasi_c8d0bf0b5141c53fbfb7426e411e8cead787a762.jpg
G-DASI
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1081/uk_g_ukhp_e379883c5651042c459e80662dbe001a85cf41da.jpg
G-UKHP
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1015/uk_g_ukth_53554d44d5ac589f56bdfd5e2419fa603d173614.jpg
G-UKTH

Herod
13th Feb 2022, 15:53
Thanks Jerbourg. As you are probably aware, G-BLFJ was our one and only -100 series. Originally, with Air Anglia it was registered G-SPUD, after "Spud" Murphy. It went to Manx at the start of their operation, and was registered, I think G-OMAN. On return to AirUK, it wasn't allowed to revert, so became BLFJ.

bean
13th Feb 2022, 18:12
FJ has both props featherd, it must have been sick at thst stage

Herod
13th Feb 2022, 21:53
Yep, the cowlings open, and an engineer's toolbox on the steps. Not sure of the stbd engine. If feathered, the de-ice mat should be facing forward.

Arthur Bellcrank
14th Feb 2022, 09:28
No 2 looks in GFP, the No 1 could be feathered in order to remove the spinner, maybe a de icing brush block snag, it isn't clear if oil bypass gear is fitted, (this returns engine oil used to function prop pitch back to the oil tank). It might simply be that prop functions used up the oil and it needs draining into a bucket and returning to the tank. Or perhaps the engine auto feathered in flight.
I like the photo taken in Guernsey with the JEA early colour scheme and the CEX Herald in the background, my guess taken around 1990-91 perhaps. I think G-BNCY came a cropper later on, if I remember CEX bought the hulk for spares around 1998. G-BNIZ later went on to be owned and operated by CEX before being sold on to a Turkish operator.

olympus
17th Feb 2022, 12:24
Ex Air Uk, KLM uk, Buzz pilot here. I seem to recall that one of the Ops guys was writing a book of the history of Air UK, its predecessors and successors. Does anyone know if this ever appeared?

Herod
17th Feb 2022, 14:53
Strange thought. In 24 years with the company, starting with Air Anglia, the one devolved nation I never flew to was Wales. Yes, I know Air Wales was part of the merger, and I presume the Bandits flew there in the early days. However, having flown five types with the company (F-27, Short 3-60, BAe-146, F-100 and B-737), never to Wales.

condor17
7th Mar 2022, 11:34
Herod , might have been just before your time ... '76 to '78ish AA advertising slogan was '' AA , Bigger Than You Think '' .
As an occaisional interline staff traveller LHR-NWI , I'd seen the 'foto of AA beauties wearing the following in Skyport .. '' AA , Bigger Than You Think '' tee shirts . I managed to get to the publicity department , run by a lovely Blonde , bought 2 [ still have 1 ] ..
The 2nd I was priviliged to personally fit to a very lovely BA lady friend .
Maybe too many outsiders were buying the Tee shirts , 'cos slogan changed to '' AA , Quicker Than You Think '' soon after .

rgds condor.

Herod
7th Mar 2022, 22:00
I regularly use the mug: "AirUK; you're closer to home". In fact, there was coffee in it this afternoon.

OUAQUKGF Ops
8th Mar 2022, 08:48
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/450x900/a477ee6b30f88f4ef26b26674983d468_f6d442ff3359831b6da3f6a0d4a 78c9a38d45563.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x800/m94649_37_nch_airport_1982_nora_batty_sept_30_1982_2683a45cf 96ccce3ce4c65768954a561354a0802.jpg
Nora Batty and Friends Norwich September 30th 1982. Photo Credit Archant.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x800/ic817_norwich_airport_feb_25_1985_787dfbc95b0bfe7e63fcc18f5e 654c218ec57b08.jpg
Norwich Tower February 25th 1985. Photo credit Archant.

Herod
8th Mar 2022, 09:26
Them was good days. I missed the timetable there, joining in Nov of '78. Finally reluctantly left what was remaining Apr '03.

It must have been a pretty good airline. We still have an annual reunion. This year at the DH Museum.

Nora Batty was at LBA to christen a runway sweeper back in about '82.

DH106
8th Mar 2022, 09:57
Nora Batty was at LBA to christen a runway sweeper back in about '82.

Is that definitely LBA?
I can't orientate the position & angle of that photo on the main apron of LBA at the time (pre-extension) - with the F27 parked facing left, the tower visible to the right - and what's that gantry structure on the very right?

Herod
8th Mar 2022, 10:45
Certainly LBA, although the date may be out. I was there from late '80 to late '90, so possibly mid eighties. Not sure which photo you are referring to? In fact, it may have been a snow-blower, since I recall one of the first days it was used. The ramp from the storage onto the apron was an UPslope!

Nora was a natural choice since "Last of the Summer Wine" was set in Yorkshire. "Eeeh Nora, tha's got smashin' wrinkled legs"

DH106
8th Mar 2022, 11:04
Not sure which photo you are referring to?

The second of the three photos posted by OUAQUKGF Ops (https://www.pprune.org/members/240330-ouaqukgf-ops), reply #67, featuring Nora Batty herself amongst other characters.

TCU
8th Mar 2022, 11:09
Air UK strap lines, triggered a memory.

Deep in my loft I still have my original spotters "bins" sporting an Air UK sticker issued when the Space Shuttle visited my "local" airport STN....I grew up in the village and spent far too many idle hours at the airport as a spotty teen.

"Air UK welcomes Stansted's other major carrier", with a backdrop of an Air UK SD330 buzzing the 747/Shuttle

Mooncrest
8th Mar 2022, 13:08
Both of the black and white photographs are at Norwich. I'd recognise the LBA control tower anywhere and that isn't it!

Nightstop
8th Mar 2022, 19:55
The last photo in #67 is Norwich. Air UK Admin and Spud Murphy’s office at the apron end of the black portacabin type structure. Air UK Ops below. Hellesdon (a Norwich suburb) in the distance, beyond the 04 Threshold.