PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

Milsey
12th Aug 2002, 13:22
Hello All

Can you give me your thoughts on some advice I have been given:

I am 21 years old & want to be an airline pilot(!). I've applied to BA twice, each time getting to the final board only to be told I wasn't quite up to scratch. Since BA won't be doing the sponsership thing for a couple of years, I've been told the best thing to do is to go to the USA, get my PPL, train to be an instructor and work as an instructor for a couple of years to build up my hours and then do the exams for my ATPL.

What do you think?!

What is the likelyhood of getting a job as an instructor in the USA at the present time? Roughly how much would it cost to do the PPL and instructors examinations?

Thanks in advance....

Milsey

tacpot
12th Aug 2002, 14:27
1. There's alot of advice and information available in PPrune forums already on these subjects. It would be beneficial for you to learn the search features available in PPrune, so you can see what has gone on before.

2. Please don't be an instructor because you can't think of anything else to do while you wait to become an Airline Pilot.

Who wants to be taught be someone who isn't interested in the student's progress or in teaching generally?

You need to examine you motivation to teach. If it isn't there, please get a job doing something else, but which will allow you to save money to get the various licenses & rating you needs, keep current, and stay in touch with development in the industry etc.

3. The feedback on PPrune suggsts a lot of people are going to be looking for instructors jobs until the industry picks (as it will). If you do go down the instructional route, you'll need to be sure that you can differentiate yourself in the marketplace. Can you?

Remember that a Flight School's ideal instructior is someone who live and breaths flying instruction, has bags of hours/experience/rating and will work for nothing. How close to this are you?

4. Persistence pays off. Well done getting as far as you have with BA. It can't have been easy. Keep the faith, and stick with it.

Milsey
12th Aug 2002, 14:43
Fair enough- It's just that I have had enough of my present job and really want to get flying- I would get a loan and do the ATPL in one go, but I want to build up enough hours beforehand to make it worhwhile and instructing seems the most practical way.

Elvis21
12th Aug 2002, 15:16
Before taking out a huge loan, it may be a good idea to get your PPL and see if you enjoy flying

distaff_beancounter
12th Aug 2002, 17:57
Milsey I am not sure from your postings, whether you are aware of the JAR requirements prior to get an instructor's ticket. If you wish to be paid for instructing, then for most intents & purposes, you have to do the CPL, before the instructor's course.

You can get an instructor's rating with just a PPL, BUT you cannot then be paid in any way, for instructing.

Others, far more knowlegable than me, have recommended that there is little point in doing the CPL ground exams. You might as well do the ATPL's as they do not involve very much more & will save you having to do a lot of the papers twice. Also, most FTO's are now only offering courses for the ATPL ground exams, due to lack of demand for the CPLs.

If the above is not clear, please post another message, & I will leave the experts, on this forum, to reply. :)

tacpot
12th Aug 2002, 18:16
Milsey, I know what it's like to be in a frustrating job, believe me. So I can understand you wanting to get started on your career of choice.

But you really need to look before you leap. Make out a business plan that shows how you are going to pay for the training you need, and be realistic about your employment prospects. The plan should show (amongst other things) the rate at which you have money coming in and when you need to be spending money on training.

Making the plan and getting it validated is a vital first step and will feel like progress.

Other 'first' things to do are the GAPAN aptitude tests, and getting a Class 1 medical (at Gatwick).