PDA

View Full Version : L3 Wizz Air Integrated ATPL - worth it or not? chances of securing UK base?

Wings2020
27th Feb 2020, 21:37
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has been considering the Wizz Air integrated ATPL at L3? I’m in my early 30s, considering a career change from Finance to do something more enjoyable!

Pros are that Wizz are a FTSE 250 company, seem to be expanding with more Airbuses on order, more Western European destinations, increased presence at LTN with new terminal etc. which make it more attractive if you want to try and secure a base in or near the UK

My hesitations are 1) L3 as a ATO has had known cadet backlog issues over past few years due to instructor shortages and can’t be sure training will stick to schedule 2) Cost - other ATOs with links to Wizz in Europe offer better value such as BAA training, what’s the benefit of paying nearly double to go with L3? 3) salary - is Wizz’s FO pay as competitive as likes of EasyJet? does it depend on base location? If I’m going to give up a relatively stable, alright paying office job and put up 122,800k EUR to train need some security that FO salary will help pay that back over time. 4) likelihood of being placed at a UK base (currently have presence at LTN, LGW, EDI amongst few others) are most newbies placed at Budapest/other Central European bases and it’s a case of trying to get on a transfer list to the UK with seniority? 5) current market conditions - UK outlook post Brexit, coronavirus, other airlines going bust etc slowing down cadet pilot demand in UK and Europe.

Appreciate any advice anyone may have, thanks

markygldn
5th Mar 2020, 10:24
I looked at L3 and BAA for the Wizz Cadetship. I found BAA to be a more personal school and not as such of a big machine like L3. I got into BAA and went for the interview at Wizz in Budapest but didnt get onto the scheme so I am now an independent cadet at BAA.
At the interview with Wizz they gave us an insight into the short term future:
- Pay varies depending on which country you are based in, it is factored so that pay is fair considering which country you are based in, taxes, cost of living etc. UK may be 1.6x salary compared to 1.1 in Ukraine for example.
- At my interview (in July 19) they said that the waiting list to get into Luton Base was 2 years, although there are potentially more bases now such as Leeds Bradford.
- The indication was that as a newbie you will be expected to start off in the less desirable bases before gaining seniority and choosing your base.

I have heard that there is a big backlog at L3 (heard one story of a 7 month delay), there is a delay at BAA in the flying section but nowhere near as long as that!
Feel free to ask anything else if you want

covec
7th Mar 2020, 23:03
Personally I'd go Modular now due Covid-19, Thomas Cook, Flybe & UK maybe - maybe leaving EASA. So if we leave EASA what exams do you sit?

Horrible time to start training!