PDA

View Full Version : Solari Boards

PAXboy
26th Feb 2020, 01:03
In other threads I have bemoaned the passing of these fabulous designs. The modern TV screens are too small and, even when made up into x16 units, cannot be read from a distance but they are cheap. I do understand why they are not being made but sad to see them go.

BBC: Solari boards: The disappearing sound of airports (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51470599)

What this headline reminds is that, you could read your book or newspaper and only had to look up when you heard the 'flick-flak'. Nowadays, you have to keep looking up to see if the screen has changed.

SpringHeeledJack
26th Feb 2020, 05:27
Yes, it's sad that these boards are now gone in most places, I was always a fan and be it airport or train station, they provided a pleasing experience. I wonder how much maintenance the average board needed to keep it functioning correctly. I don't find the TV screens in most airports so much of an improvement tbh, but no doubt cheaper to run. That said, on train platforms I find the orange LED boards better for visibility.

nitro rig driver
28th Feb 2020, 11:14
If you are ever in JFK airport then pop into the TWA hotel-they have an original flick-flack board there and working too..
very interesting few hours can be spent there reminising over the times gone past exhibits and its free !!!

Paul Lupp
29th Feb 2020, 14:55
Yes, it's sad that these boards are now gone in most places, I was always a fan and be it airport or train station, they provided a pleasing experience. I wonder how much maintenance the average board needed to keep it functioning correctly. I don't find the TV screens in most airports so much of an improvement tbh, but no doubt cheaper to run. That said, on train platforms I find the orange LED boards better for visibility.
Agreed. Sad times indeed

PAXboy
29th Feb 2020, 17:19
It is the size of the letters and numerals. If the TV screens could be set to display larger - that would be fine. But that would mean more screens = Money, so it won't happen. I'd also like the screens to give a simple 'tone signal' when they update. It was so easy to hear the Flik-Flak and then check.