PDA

View Full Version : CAT I approach depending on lights intensity

hellkitty
24th Feb 2020, 11:49
Hello,
I'm currently preparing for an interview. As I was studying Cat I minima depending on different ALS malfunctions Ive became a little bit confused about lights intensity. Is it possibile to conduct approach using 550 m or 750m RVR and having only light or medium intensity of lighting system? To make it more clear an example. Minimum RVR of 550, ALS lenght 900m (so even more than FALS minimum.lenght) however available only at low or medium intensity level. Can I perform landing under mentioned minima or do I need to degrade it to BALS for example 1000m rvr? (its only theoretically, I know that the answer will be on the approach chart, but this is very similar what my friends has been asked for during his screening).
PS: this applies to EASA land rules.

B737900er
25th Feb 2020, 10:18
Hello, I've had a look in the manuals and can't find any reference to Light intensity requirements, only if the lights are working or not.
The minima will be based on what TYPE of lights are available and if they are working or not. However, I stand to be corrected.

My answer in the interview would be that, but also, ask when am I being asked this question. For example, if it's in the crew room, I would refer to the companies manuals to look at the downgraded/ failed facilities table and also the RVR Vs Approach light table to see if there is any information and possibly also ask a management pilot or Captain for their insight.

On approach - I would continue and comply with the usual rules.

wiedehopf
25th Feb 2020, 21:09
The RVR depends on the light intensity of the runway edge and center line lights as far as i know.

The system measures visibility, background luminance, and runway light intensity to determine the distance a pilot should be able to see down the runway.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/lsg/rvr/

Not sure if it's the same for Eurocontrol?

Maybe the question is aimed at this fact?