PDA

View Full Version : Impact corona virus on air cargo.

SaulGoodman
24th Feb 2020, 08:25
What is the impact of the corona virus on the Air Cargo Business? General freight / express / charters etc?

Are there companies who are benefiting? Charters come to mind, but also backlog of cargo that is not flying with the PAX airlines.

Will certain companies go down due to the corona virus coming on top of the downward trend of load factors / yields?

SaulGoodman
12th Mar 2020, 04:02
Air cargo exempt from travel ban USA. Moneymaker for all cargo airlines?

deltahotel
12th Mar 2020, 07:47
Depends whether the cargo is ok but the pilots are not if they have been in Schengen within 14 days.

SaulGoodman
12th Mar 2020, 07:49
Does it also apply to pilots? I thought PAX only...

deltahotel
12th Mar 2020, 08:57
Because pilots don’t catch a virus? I’m guessing the first question to be asked on arrival will be ‘have you been in a Schengen country in the last 14 days? You have? Stay airside sir/ma’am’.

SaulGoodman
12th Mar 2020, 11:51
Because pilots don’t catch a virus? I’m guessing the first question to be asked on arrival will be ‘have you been in a Schengen country in the last 14 days? You have? Stay airside sir/ma’am’.

300 pax or 3 crewmembers is a big difference in acceptable risk assessment.

deltahotel
12th Mar 2020, 14:05
The full text of Trump’s announcement seems to exempt holders of a C1/D visa. Phew!

dusk2dawn
13th Mar 2020, 08:24
https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject-proclamation-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-1842280740

Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.
(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:
(vii) any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

Banana Joe
13th Mar 2020, 08:32
How did feight dogs pull through during the Gulf War, 9/11 and the 2008 financial crisis?
I'm new to the game, but it looks like they did ok. All these bans, at least for now, are not affecting our operation in the network. The restrictions apply to crew members that during the layover are locked in their hotel room for some "me-time" in one destination, and live accordingly to the restrictions in place in other countries.
​​​​​

deltahotel
13th Mar 2020, 08:49
The big boom in air freight has been in the last 20 years, so the biggest potential impact was really 2008 and the GFC. We just kept going. Volumes were down, but the network kept going and came out of it ok. Pay rises after that were non existent for a few years but then it got better. I can only speak for my own airline, but we lost no ac and no one lost their jobs.

dixi188
13th Mar 2020, 08:56
I imagine DHL's Bergamo hub is shut down.

deltahotel
13th Mar 2020, 09:21
Still running. No layovers.

EAM
13th Mar 2020, 11:25
Well, there is of course a huge impact on Air Cargo, Volumes are going down massively, specially in Asia, Cargologic and Air Cargo Global shut down already and I am sure others are struggling.
For those airlines which are already fighting to survive, this could be the killer.
The advantage for DHL is, its not just Air Cargo which makes only a part of their business, there is much more.
It will be interesting to see how it will continue, we have multi national crews and some Italiens have already been refused to enter on their destination, that might be an issue in the next few weeks
for even more nationalities.

dabssa
13th Mar 2020, 12:27
The loads in Asia have been fantastic. Every flight seems to be almost max payload.

EAM
13th Mar 2020, 16:35
Yes its taking up again in Asia, but DHL had quite a few cancelations in Dezember and January.

Strela
20th Mar 2020, 15:04
Dear Colleagues,

Cargo still continues to fly but until when ? What are your thoughts? More and more hotels keep closing and for contractors especially it will become difficult to operate without facilitating crews. I just wonder what would be an alternative an how we would survive this?

GKOC41
20th Mar 2020, 15:34
Cargo Airlines are being hit by corona restrictions if they get off and night stop. Latest is no walk rounds allowed at some ME destinations.

Banana Joe
20th Mar 2020, 15:41
Governments should make sure hotels are open at least for cargo aircraft crew. The other option is to reverse the roster have day stops in your base. Clearly the first option would be best.

Pistonprop
20th Mar 2020, 16:00
And the sad truth IMHO is that all these restrictions and so-called lock downs are basically a waste of time. Why? Because 100% lock down for a decent period of time is impossible, just like 100% security around an airport.

ZAZ
20th Mar 2020, 16:46
FR24 show many inbound to Victoria cant all be freighters. Domestic red eyes and international. 0300 local time?

Banana Joe
20th Mar 2020, 16:50
Most are DHL and their feeders.

NG1
20th Mar 2020, 22:51
And the sad truth IMHO is that all these restrictions and so-called lock downs are basically a waste of time. Why? Because 100% lock down for a decent period of time is impossible, just like 100% security around an airport.
It's about reduction. To keep the number of people in need of treatment below the number of available hospital capacity. 100 percent is impossible, but the more people staying at home the better. Sorry for off-topic.

Chris2303
21st Mar 2020, 03:47
Cargo Airlines are being hit by corona restrictions if they get off and night stop. Latest is no walk rounds allowed at some ME destinations.

Not in New Zealand

Mariner
21st Mar 2020, 10:43
For once, freighters are where the money is. For the time being.

Prices are skyrocketing, rising from 2$ per kg to 10 in a matter of days.
Full loads to and from the Far East, same story North Atlantic.

Crews moved from city hotels to near-deserted beach hotels. Emergency rations in their overnight bag, because food availability is not guaranteed.

Some airlines even 'intern' their crews in hotels at homebase, to avoid them from getting sick while home.

'May you live in interesting times' :hmm:

Chris2Fly
21st Mar 2020, 11:37
We have seen a huge increase in freight at FedEx in the UK. Additional two contracts added and bulking out on most flights.

Pistonprop
21st Mar 2020, 12:02
Yes I know NG1. My point remains nevertheless.

Officerzero
25th Mar 2020, 22:59
For once, freighters are where the money is. For the time being.

Prices are skyrocketing, rising from 2$ per kg to 10 in a matter of days.
Full loads to and from the Far East, same story North Atlantic.

Crews moved from city hotels to near-deserted beach hotels. Emergency rations in their overnight bag, because food availability is not guaranteed.

Some airlines even 'intern' their crews in hotels at homebase, to avoid them from getting sick while home.

'May you live in interesting times' :hmm:
Freight big players FEDeX, DHL, UPS etc.etc have always been in a different league. Corporate level driven, a mega multi billion pound industry. Often moving high end vital goods globally.
The pilots are on big money, have good hotels which they tend to choose and can have personalised rosters in many cases. Many of these guys use to fly passenger aircraft.
But it is in a very different league, but who knows, in the future if UVAs will probably be flying freight first.

mini
26th Mar 2020, 22:15
Pretty basic question but if I wanted to charter cargo a/c to lift from China to Europe what's the market like?

riceeater
27th Mar 2020, 06:08
very hard to get any EU a/c now at all.. CN-EU is like 7+usd p/kg now lol
still the US is in the highest demand.. huuuuuuuuuuuge backlog here for us bound cargo

rudestuff
27th Mar 2020, 06:40
For once, freighters are where the money is. For the time being. For once? 😂😂😂

deltahotel
27th Mar 2020, 13:02
First rule of Freight Club .........