PDA

View Full Version : Australia Low Hour Opportunities

caleb123
24th Feb 2020, 02:56
Hi all, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for low hour flying jobs in Australia. Running of close to minimums with only 250 TT holding a CPL with MEIR (working on ATPL exams now). Not concerned about where happy to move anywhere and not fussed about pay as I just want to be on the ground as less as possible. Thanks in advance

PoppaJo
24th Feb 2020, 03:12
What’s Total Time? CPL? ATPL? FIR? IFR? Airbus? Space Shuttle?

caleb123
24th Feb 2020, 03:34
Running of pretty much minimums with only 250TT holding a CPL and MEIR ( currently working on ATPL exams). I know the opportunities and pretty much zero but still have to ask and start somewhere

PoppaJo
24th Feb 2020, 03:39
IFR rating is good so perhaps go for FIR. Otherwise CPL charter will be a struggle on its own with low mins. Well, these operators get a whole pile of Resume’s from like pilots every season. Back in the day we used to separate the pile. Tropics trained pilots who were the 1%, top of the pile. IFR/NVFR next, bare CPL last. We also took vast PPL flying into account. However this was waaaay back in the day.

The ones who get the charter jobs up north with bare mins are usually the people who did all their training in that region. Ie-the operators already know of them before they have even finished their CPL. And not many train far north these days so these guys are fairly valuable to some in the form of a better understanding of the challenging met conditions.

If you instruct for a few years, Grade 1, IFR, ATPL, you are quite valuable. Although I would try and do a FIR rating with a mob who can potentially offer a job at the end. That’s the next roadblock

YendorB
24th Feb 2020, 22:17
Could probably get a job at Qantas. They will take anyone as long as you can please HR

Cessna 180
25th Feb 2020, 00:18
Hello Caleb.
I am not quite sure if the above replies are correct and I may have a little recent experience in this area.

Jonny on the spot is still usually in with the best chance. The best places are the regional and small centres/towns in the north west.
IFR or Instructor rating, ATPL's etc are all good but not necessary.
Companies mostly will hire on personality, work ethic and flying ability, not necessarily in that order. Flying will be single engine, day/night VFR.

Know your regs pertaining to the type of operation you are targeting.Turn up with clean shoes, a friendly can do attitude and a grammatically correct resume and you will go far. A good company will give you ICUS on a 210 or similar although a few hours on this or similar will not hurt your chances.

Your enquiry seems genuine so I wish you luck

prickly
25th Feb 2020, 00:22
Hi all, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for low hour flying jobs in Australia. Running of close to minimums with only 250 TT holding a CPL with MEIR (working on ATPL exams now). Not concerned about where happy to move anywhere and not fussed about pay at this time in life. Thanks in advance
Yeah, well I wish you luck, so many of us have been in the same position over the years.

Please though do NOT say you are not fussed about pay at this time. This is what has turned GA into the dogs breakfast it is. Generations of pilots working through GA, working for nothing, flying overweight, out of hours etc just so they can move onto airlines and then sneer at the GA mess they helped create. Be a professional from the start, leave legacy for others.