PDA

View Full Version : Renting a plane in the Cayman Islands

Skylinenine
21st Feb 2020, 00:49
I am going to be in the grand Cayman Islands this summer and I’m interested in renting a plane for a day trip to Cuba or Jamaica. I have my ppl and will have my instrument rating finished up by the tone of the trip. I can’t find any general aviation plane’s available for rent on the island. I was wondering where I can find a plane and what steps I would need to take in order to be legal to fly? Does anyone have experience flying ga in the Caribbean?

Ebbie 2003
2nd Mar 2020, 11:27
Hello

I have experience of flying GA in the Caribbean - I have owed my own Archer since 2012.

Mainly I fly in the eastern Caribbean - so think BVI down to Trinidad - I have done the trip down from Florida a couple of times too.

Your problem with finding a GA airplane are fairly typical - I do not have any personal knowledge of the possibility to hire in Cayman - being British it will be a lot more difficult than if it was a US territory.

My best suggestion to you is to contact the tower at the Owen Roberts airport - they will know if there are any regular GA users who may rent, I would not expect a successful outcome - if you do I am thinking US registered airplane (you will need a US licence for international) and a whole raft of issues with insurance - then throw in the Cuba element and you will have problems.

Good luck.

Skylinenine
6th Mar 2020, 17:17
Hello

I have experience of flying GA in the Caribbean - I have owed my own Archer since 2012.

Mainly I fly in the eastern Caribbean - so think BVI down to Trinidad - I have done the trip down from Florida a couple of times too.

Your problem with finding a GA airplane are fairly typical - I do not have any personal knowledge of the possibility to hire in Cayman - being British it will be a lot more difficult than if it was a US territory.

My best suggestion to you is to contact the tower at the Owen Roberts airport - they will know if there are any regular GA users who may rent, I would not expect a successful outcome - if you do I am thinking US registered airplane (you will need a US licence for international) and a whole raft of issues with insurance - then throw in the Cuba element and you will have problems.

Good luck.

Thank you for the idea! I’ll definitely give tower a call and see what my options are, the Cuba idea is probably out the windows just because of the extra work it would add.

Chrish1968
21st Apr 2022, 20:34
Just curious, but did you ever end up renting a plane in Grand Cayman?