PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFERRING PHOTOS AND VIDEO'S

Loose rivets
21st Feb 2020, 00:40
I've more or less mastered 'Send to' but I have thousands of photos to sort. I see some freebe's that work on W10 but has anyone tried a safe file shifter that gives a clear and quick image.

SAFE - FREE in that order. Due to careless buildup of coppies, I have about 200 000 to sort. A quick glimpse and send to a fair selection of addresses which must include being on different drives on same PC.

Any tried and tested?

Jhieminga
21st Feb 2020, 12:03
I've always been a big fan of ACDSee on Windows, but having moved to another operating system am not up to date with their current offerings. Not free but has always worded like a charm for me.

Capn Bloggs
1st Mar 2020, 23:28
Picasa. You can visibly drag images to other folders. You can also drag images from various folders to albums, which you could then use to export the contents of those albums to your new folders. You can also export selections of images from across multiple folders into a single new folder.

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2020, 00:23
I think a friend used that but it seems it's now owned by Google and they have "decided to retire it". They invite going to Google Photos which has a sneakingly similar logo. Has anyone used that?

My main problem is making my old bones do anything these days and the slightest resistance to an easy ride fills me with an odd reluctance to manipulate my limbs.

An example, a folder labelled "Photos from small Seagate hard drive". That folder was sent to the new WD Black and the system reported 69,000 files. The small drive is a backup drive I purchased in Texas. A quick look found a few delightful pictures that I haven't seen in years but it's certain the bulk is . . . backups. The WD has a folder labelled PHOTOS. Under that I've got folders saying where they were copied from. In those . . . well, you get the drift. :eek: I've probably got ~127 photos that have multiplied like rabbits.

Jhieminga
2nd Mar 2020, 15:15
Picasa has been retired, I've used an old version until recently but cannot recommend it. Google photos is an online site that invites you to upload everything so that they can do what they want with it (my view...).

Your question made me rethink my own image sorting needs, and I've gone ahead and purchased the latest version of ACDSee for my Macbook (I've got ACDSee Photo Studio 6). I very quickly fell in love with it again.

Main interface offers folder tree on the left. 'Tiles' with thumbnails of images is the main view and there are additional options to show along the right side of the screen.
You can select one or more images and right click to 'move to folder' or 'copy to folder' as needed.
There is a function that searches your drive, or a subset of folders, for duplicates of an image (can take a while).
I've used batch rename on many occasions. There are other batch functions included in the software.
The software also includes various editing options, but browsing and sorting through the many images I've got stored on my harddrive is the main thing I use this for.

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2020, 22:35
ACDSee. It took a moment. I've downloaded the free sample and instantly became afraid. Afraid my brain won't understand anything bigger than X-Tree file management.

Then there was that bloke. He's a photographer, and waves his hands about. Within three minutes I wanted to chop them off, and I'm a person that helps spiders out without hurting their little feet. I'll have a bash without his help.

I haven't said thanks yet, but that's only because of the fear. :p

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2020, 23:06
Well, it looks good. Thanks. The only problem is that nowhere has it said how much. Home, as basic as it gets I assume. It gave me the chance to buy, but seemed as though the emailed password thing would all be scrapped if I tried to go back.

Oh, another problem is, when you can see so many pictures, it becomes impossible to not gawp aimlessly at one's life, and its missed opportunities.

Jhieminga
3rd Mar 2020, 14:30
Software can't solve that problem for you I'm afraid. That's why we invented alcohol ;)

Alchad
3rd Mar 2020, 15:59
Hi,

This might be more than you need, but it is free and relatively straightforward to use. It is my default photo viewer/organiser even though I have another programme I bought.

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

It allows you to load and review images, and VERY usefully to select (they call it tagging), you can then select all tagged photos and say move to a new folder.

Give it a go, any questions please ask.

Regards

Alchad

Loose rivets
3rd Mar 2020, 21:59
That's a blast from the past. Thanks. I used Faststone Image resizer for ages in the days when PhotoBucket limited files size. Forgot all about it, but the old one was on my SSD drive, so not ancient history. I've downloaded from your link and will give it a go.

yoganmahew
7th Mar 2020, 10:47
That's a blast from the past. Thanks. I used Faststone Image resizer for ages in the days when PhotoBucket limited files size. Forgot all about it, but the old one was on my SSD drive, so not ancient history. I've downloaded from your link and will give it a go.
Do report back please! I have a gazillion photos currently in PhotoShop Lightroom. Which is fine for viewing/simple editing, but less so for deleting the multiples/picking the best of a set.

descol
17th Mar 2020, 13:53
Pruners
some advice, if possible
I have not uploaded an image to PPRUNE for a while - just found out that Photobucket - where I would have uploaded from in the past - are looking for a monthly fee
? - I don't want to pay to upload an image to PPRUNE every now and then - is there an alternative to Photobucket /
thanks
descol

Capn Bloggs
17th Mar 2020, 14:05
I use Postimage:
https://postimages.org/

Repos
17th Mar 2020, 19:08
Can't you just upload a jpg straight from your device using "Manage Attachments" without using online storage?

descol
18th Mar 2020, 08:51
Thanks Capn Bloggs and Repos - I will have a go

Jhieminga
19th Mar 2020, 19:45
You can upload to PPRuNe without using another storage site. There is the 'Manage Attachments' button below (if you're using the full editor) or you can click on the image button above and you'll get the same option to upload.

India Four Two
21st Mar 2020, 16:38
I’ll endorse Jhieminga’s observation.

When I first started posting pictures on PPRuNe, you couldn’t upload them directly - you had to host them somewhere. I used Photobucket which was inconvenient but free for a small number of pictures.

Then about three years ago, they shot themselves in the foot, when they went to an expensive subscription model and didn’t grandfather any existing images. They then compounded their mistake by blurring old images and pasting on a giant logo! Thanks but no thanks, Photobucket!

Shortly afterwards, the PPRuNe software changed. You can now upload images directly. Extremely easy - just click on the Image icon when composing a reply.

RogueOne suggested using Google Photos. You could, but it is redundant if you want to post photos on PPRuNe. A more important reason for not using it is you are probably giving up a lot of rights to your photos, possible even copyright.

I avoid Google as much as I can.