PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall to Fly????

lankymanc
7th Mar 2001, 15:33
Yes that is right I have been rejected from the RAF and British Airways for being too tall!!

Is there any airline in the world which will sponsor or train a pilot who is 6 foot 5 inches.

ickle black box
7th Mar 2001, 16:04
There was something in the paper recently, about a girl who was too short to be a air hostess. She had her legs extended a few inches by the NHS .. ask them to chop a bit off! :)

Otherwise, thought about taking up basketball..? :)

ickle

------------------
If God had meant man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Big Red ' L '
7th Mar 2001, 20:38
That new Airbus A380is pretty big. Don't they need big pilots for that.? Tell em you want to fly that..... :) :) :)

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

[This message has been edited by Big Red ' L ' (edited 07 March 2001).]

Miles High
7th Mar 2001, 20:42
Its not a problem. They are the only 2 organisations to do this. (The RAF have good reason - but BA?)

Do a search on the subject. it's well covered.

rock_the_tower
22nd May 2001, 02:27
Are there any tall drivers out there who fly either the ERJ145 or the Saab 2000 and are in the range of 6'5''? I'm 6'5'' and was wondering about your experience on those planes ?
Any spacious comments ? :) :) :)

Thanks !!

rtt

hannilein
23rd May 2001, 05:00
do more fitness and forget your back.
Your boss want`s you to earn money, not relaxing on a sofa... I am also tall an have the same problem even in the 737.
good luck :)

pilotben
26th Jan 2007, 16:27
Hi, im new to fourms and things but i have a serious question i would like to know the answer to.
im 15 and im 6ft 4 and i would like to know weather i am allowed to gain a ATPL because of my height or if some arlines will not aceppt me because of my height.
Ive earched on the internet for answers and i have found mixxed replys so i came to thesse fourms fo help.

Thank for all of your help
ben:)

Maude Charlee
26th Jan 2007, 16:47
Unless you grow another foot between now and graduation, don't sweat it mate. Plenty of guys (me included) around that height or more, plying their own brand of airborne menace around the world. Only an issue if you want to spend the rest of your life in a Cessna 150.

;)

pilotben
26th Jan 2007, 18:15
haha thanks for that:) :)

class a
26th Jan 2007, 19:33
I have a friend who is 6ft10 Yes 6ft10 big guy

And he flys a big jet so no problem

proctor
27th Jan 2007, 14:42
Only an issue if you want to spend the rest of your life in a Cessna 150.

At 6ft 5 I have little problem training in a C152 (except for having to stick my kneeboard on the right leg to keep it out of the way of the yoke, but then at least I don't need to sit on a pile of cushions either).

Conversely, when I found myself sitting in the right hand seat of a PA-31 Navajo (as a passenger), I had to sit in a really awkward position which would have been rather unsuited to flying or indeed sitting in general for any great length of time (the flight in question was a six minute hop from mainland Iceland to a volcanic island).

Comforted though I am that there are fellows flying out there who positively dwarf me:ooh: , I was wondering its common for light twins to cram more seats in at the expense of pilot leg room. Does this ever cause problems in training?

Thanks,

Proctor

Mohit_C
27th Jan 2007, 14:52
I'm 1.73m tall. Don't think that's a problem right?

bfisk
27th Jan 2007, 23:51
At 6' 0" myself, it's amazing what you can squeeze yourself into. I regularly strap a C152 around me. A little determination is all it takes.

Lord Mount
28th Jan 2007, 00:29
I too was turned down by the RAF for being too tall. It was the hip to knee length that was the problem.

I took to flying helicopters instead.

Much more room and more fun to fly as well.

LM

Fly Boy Pete
11th Sep 2007, 18:22
hey im only 15 and i am a lanky guy you wouldnt happen to knoww the limit for hip to knee or if not u couldnt do us a great favour n measure yours if it isnt too much trouble as i dont want to get my heart set on fast jet if im already too tall.
Thnx:O:ok:

Megaton
12th Sep 2007, 11:02
BA limit is height between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.91m (6'3"). I must just have squeeked in then :-)

skyhighbird
12th Sep 2007, 11:37
Wow! I wonder how that "lankymanc" got on. He posted this like in 2001!!

I suppose he and others posted a very serious point about being too tall. I would have thought the Americans, being how big they are wqould have built airliners to accomodate people 6'4-6'8. But i guess the problem is the training aircraft like cessnas.

Most people strive to be tall but I feel quite sorry for those that arent accepted becasue of their size.

I remeber when I was growing up, I was worried that I might only get to the same height as my mum which is 5'2 which I believe is the minimum for most airlines.

luckily, when i stopped growing, i'd reached 5'4 so no problem. But if i ever became an airline pilot, i'd feel really short compared to you lot who are around the 6 foot mark! Do you think it would look weird if people in the airport saw me walking around in my pilot uniform and 4 inch heels!! They'd be freaked thinking "she can't fly the plane wearing those"!!!

XXX

Mach086
12th Sep 2007, 11:46
skyhighbird,

If I was a captain and you were my co-pilot, I would have no problem whatsoever if you wanted to wear 4 inch heels ;)

In fact, I'd make a suggestion to the Airline's uniform designers to make it compulsory! Don't know what the FAA's risk register would say about it though!

epsum
12th Sep 2007, 14:35
Well, I'm 6'6" (197cm) and integrated student. Fitting in pretty easily with 152's. 172's and P28T. If to be honest, the getting into 152 is the most difficult part, inside is quite comfortable even to stay there for 2.5h training flights. It was quite suprize to realize, that in 172 and P28T was enough room to fit a normal size person on the back seat behind me.

Beefy_EMA
12th Sep 2007, 15:19
Do you think it would look weird if people in the airport saw me walking around in my pilot uniform and 4 inch heels!! They'd be freaked thinking "she can't fly the plane wearing those"!!!
They might think you are on your way to a Stag party.

skyhighbird
12th Sep 2007, 16:34
"They might think you are on your way to a Stag party. "

A stag party! What a stripper dressed as a pilot! Gosh, id hope not. Anyway, i thought the guys prefer nurses etc!

xxx

Beefy_EMA
12th Sep 2007, 17:24
Anyway, i thought the guys prefer nurses etc!
Stripper Guide 101.
* Doesn't matter what you wear, its going to be on the floor after five minutes, but those heels will still be on.
* Smile, make the punters believe your finding this fun, even though you're bored and thinking about the next episode of Coronation Street.

:ok:

skyhighbird
13th Sep 2007, 07:19
lol, thanks for the advice EMA!

You have got me thinking now! If I charged a couple of hundred per session, work all week, (don't declare my earnings to the taxman), then i'll have saved up £60K in under 2 years and be able to pay for the fATPL outright!!!

Only thing is what to put down on my CV under Employment History 2007-2009!

Lazy Gun
14th Sep 2007, 08:04
At 6ft 5 I have little problem training in a C152 (except for having to stick my kneeboard on the right leg to keep it out of the way of the yoke, but then at least I don't need to sit on a pile of cushions either).

Ah, how I envy you tall person. "Cushion positioned" is part of my checklist! :}

skyhighbird
14th Sep 2007, 10:31
"Ah, how I envy you tall person. "Cushion positioned" is part of my checklist"

I know all about that whenever I drive my dad's 745cl.! hopefully won't have the problem when i'm flying.