PDA

View Full Version : WTH CASA to stop issuing ASIC's ?

mcoates
19th Feb 2020, 23:37
With all of the who hard around the stupid bits of plastic which have absolutely no bearing on security outside of the international airports (in my opinion) CASA have decided to stop issuing ASIC's themselves. I find this just unbelievable and confusing that the safety regulator who is a big part of making us having this operational system doesn't want to be involved anymore. Perhaps, when it comes time to renew I should just make my own !
CASA to cease being authorised issuing body for Aviation Security Identification Cards (ASICs)

You are receiving this correspondence because you hold a current Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) issued through the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

We are currently one of a number of ASIC issuing bodies under legislation set by the Department of Home Affairs.

From 28 February, we will no longer be an authorised ASIC issuing body. Your ASIC records will be transferred to Aviation ID Australia Pty Ltd, our current third-party provider and an authorised ASIC issuing body.

We have made this decision following approval from the Department of Home Affairs who set the legislative framework for aviation security checks.

Should you require a replacement ASIC, need to report a conviction of an aviation security relevant offence, report a change of name or address, report a lost or stolen ASIC, or return an expired or cancelled card after 27 February 2020 you will need to contact Aviation ID Australia directly. Their contact details are as follows:

Postal: Locked Bag 2000
MERIMBULA NSW 2548
Phone: 02 6497 4333
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.aviationidaustralia.net.au (http://mailinglist.casa.gov.au/lists/lt.php?tid=cRoFAw9VVQZRWE5XUgVYS1BWVlJMWlJUVhoCAAwAAl8PVg9YC 1IfXQFYUwEBV1pLVAsHVkwMVwBUGldRWQJMWF1VA1VfAFsBBg5WGAIHDVcAV VEDTFxSUVMaAgANB0xbClQHTA5QBV1QDlYGBwQJXg)

More information on your card holder obligations (http://mailinglist.casa.gov.au/lists/lt.php?tid=cRoOBQpTVwRWX05XAgkPS1BWAgBMWVBVBRpUUQ4CWA4MUFZYD AcfXQFYUwEBV1pLVAsHVkwMVwBUGldRWQJMWF1VA1VfAFsBBg5WGAIHDVcAV VEDTFxSUVMaAgANB0xbClQHTA5QBV1QDlYGBwQJXg) can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

If your ASIC needs renewal, you can contact any issuing body. The list of authorised issuing bodies (http://mailinglist.casa.gov.au/lists/lt.php?tid=cRoHVwFTUgMDCE4HUwEIS1BRUwNMAVQFAhpQBg1QU1tYVQ8HD VAfXQFYUwEBV1pLVAsHVkwMVwBUGldRWQJMWF1VA1VfAFsBBg5WGAIHDVcAV VEDTFxSUVMaAgANB0xbClQHTA5QBV1QDlYGBwQJXg) can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Lead Balloon
19th Feb 2020, 23:44
The ASIC system is not CASA’s idea (although I see that AVMED have now overreached into using it as part of its we-don’t-trust-pilots campaign).

I agree it’s mostly a facade though.

Mr Approach
20th Feb 2020, 01:18
CASA lists 29 different places that can issue an ASIC, not just aviation id.
Aviation security is excluded from the responsibilities of CASA unless the Government decrees otherwise, so not sure why CASA ever issued ASICs, they did not even issue them to their own staff!

mcoates
20th Feb 2020, 02:30
so not sure why CASA ever issued ASICs, they did not even issue them to their own staff!

Really ?? I would have thought they issued their own. The CASA boys always have CASA statement* and logo on the bottom ?

*Were not happy until your not happy

YPJT
20th Feb 2020, 03:40
Really ?? I would have thought they issued their own. The CASA boys always have CASA statement* and logo on the bottom ?
*Were not happy until your not happy
WIth the new card design that came in early last year. The area to identify the IB is now just a small box on the RH side of the card.

CASA have always been a basket case as an issuing body. It was marginally better when they outsourced it to Aviation ID Australia who still, according to their website, haven't figured out that the name of the responsible department has had about 4 name changes since DOTARS.

Probably not something CASA never wanted to do in the first place, much like a lot of the smaller airports who have voluntarily had their ASIC issuing approvals revoked over recent years. Unfortunately, many will now be faced with added costs associated with ID verification that is done with Australia Post. Not sure to what extent the larger airports that are IBs will pick up the slack created by this particularly for GA. I'd suggest contacting the IB on the list as close as possible to your location to see if they can assist.

Lead Balloon
20th Feb 2020, 04:23
You might be able to solve a mystery for me, YPJT. How does a photo I’ve submitted to an IB for the purposes of obtaining an ASIC end up on a DAME’s computer screen without my having consented to the use of the photograph for any purpose other than the ASIC?

thorn bird
20th Feb 2020, 04:37
Often wondered about that myself Lead, but then again I'm not surprised
CAsA medical probably have your bedroom bugged to see it you snore from
sleep apnea which seems to be the flavour de jour with them at the moment.

I also wonder why FOI's have access to your medical records.

YPJT
20th Feb 2020, 05:26
I couldn't hazard a guess at that one LB. As far as I am concerned, if you provide a photograph for an ASIC then there are very specific cyber security requirements for safeguarding that data, including photographs. If CASA are taking the photo and using it for something else that may well be contrary to the requirements of the Auscheck legislation. Does the CASA application say anything about using the photo for other purposes? Ask CASA, if not happy with the response, contact the Department of Home Affairs.

From the website:
For information on these processes email the department at [email protected] or call on 1300 791 581 (option 2).

I guess that as CASA are ceasing as an IB, they will ask you to provide a photo by some other means for their Avmed requirements.

Ixixly
20th Feb 2020, 13:20
For anyone baffled by CASA no longer issuing ASICs, I'd suggest following the money trail leading from Aviation ID Australia Pty Ltd into the coffers of select people who have a hand in such decisions. Nothing quite like a made up industry having a butt load of customers who HAVE to use their service and don't have to compete on price being delivered to you on a silver platter.

Clare Prop
20th Feb 2020, 13:24
For anyone baffled by CASA no longer issuing ASICs, I'd suggest following the money trail leading from Aviation ID Australia Pty Ltd into the coffers of select people who have a hand in such decisions. Nothing quite like a made up industry having a butt load of customers who HAVE to use their service and don't have to compete on price being delivered to you on a silver platter.

They don't have to use Aviation ID Australia, there are other providers, but the way CASA put links directly to them makes it seem that way. There was no tender process that I am aware of.

YPJT
20th Feb 2020, 13:35
Are you for real? That statement is one of the funniest I have read in ages on all social media platforms.
For your conspiracy theory to have any credence, all 29 issuing bodies would collectively have to be contributing to the "coffers of selected people". News flash! it is not just Aviation ID Australia who issue ASICs to GA and other industry participants.

aroa
21st Feb 2020, 00:09
Having had an obscene and bash threat phone call from an AWI after reminding him of his earlier perfidy (perjury, conspiracy with others to effect a criminal conviction). He obviously got my PVT mobile no. by breaching CAsA protocols re privacy...not that they give a rats.

Somewhat gobsmacked to see my old ASIC mug shot in the Avmed site at my last medical.
If the records can be accessed, then that picture could be called up and given by the AWI to his accomplices so they hit the correct target....." I've got a couple of c*nts coming for you" ( phone Call extract)
Aah, CAsA that lovely agency where criminals are protected and remain employed in spite of gross criminality, but thats because all the HQ crowd are liars, phoneys, perverters of the course of justice, and professional BS artists themselves.
At my request Avmed took down the pic...but to where? The file they keep..and deny thay have?

Ixixly
21st Feb 2020, 00:33
Are you for real? That statement is one of the funniest I have read in ages on all social media platforms.
For your conspiracy theory to have any credence, all 29 issuing bodies would collectively have to be contributing to the "coffers of selected people". News flash! it is not just Aviation ID Australia who issue ASICs to GA and other industry participants.

Have you even LOOKED at the 29 issuing bodies YPJT? 20 of them are Airports and Companies that will only issue to people using their Airport/Company specifically/only or only their own employees. 1 of the 29 on that list is CASA who are about to go. That actually leaves 7. I'm not talking about the other 6 here, I'm saying why is it that just 1 of them have been handed all this extra business on a silver platter? If someone can find a Tender process for this I'll be surprised.

Also why is Aviation ID Australia their choice of Third Party Provider? This isn't some "wacky conspiracy theory" I'm here to spout, it's just good old fashioned greed.

Also out of those 7 they included Melbourne Airport, Newcastle Airport, Brisbane Airport whom I honestly would not have thought to go to directly and would surprised if they would so now we have 4 being Aerodrome Management Services Pty Ltd, Airport Security, Aviation ID Australia and Veritas. AMS requires you to do an interview at Perth or Jandakot so that rules out a large number of Pilots, so really means there's 3, not 29.

YPJT
21st Feb 2020, 02:48
If you don’t want to use Aviation ID, I’d give Security ID in Geraldton a call. They are set up with Australia post to do the ID checks and are easy to deal with.

CASA was probably made to be an issuing body from the outset to cover GA requirements. It is strange that they were allowed firstly to contract out their operation and now to revoke it completely. I’d hazard a guess they were unable to comply with the IT security requirements introduced recently which are pretty stringent.

CASA did once put their ASIC processing out to tender but I believe it was pulled and given back to AIA.

red_dirt
21st Feb 2020, 06:30
If you don’t want to use Aviation ID, I’d give Security ID in Geraldton a call. They are set up with Australia post to do the ID checks and are easy to deal with.

+1 for Security Id.

Not their fault I know, but my recent renewal took 5 months.

Stickshift3000
21st Feb 2020, 06:53
A few months ago I was told by a veteran in the industry that Veritas were currently quickest - when I subsequently used them it took 3 weeks. Only writing this in the hope it might help others.

YPJT
21st Feb 2020, 08:35
Veritas were currently quickest - when I subsequently used them it took 3 weeks. Only writing this in the hope it might help others.
I know of other instances where cards have been issued in the same week as being applied for. Veritas in no way can claim to be the quickest as it is the background checking process which takes the time. Once a clearance comes in, cards are usually printed on the same day.
More advertising hype rather than fact.

Stickshift3000
21st Feb 2020, 09:43
I know of other instances where cards have been issued in the same week as being applied for. Veritas in no way can claim to be the quickest as it is the background checking process which takes the time. Once a clearance comes in, cards are usually printed on the same day.
More advertising hype rather than fact.

To clarify - it was a CFI at the time that made this claim, not Veritas. His estimate of 3 weeks aligned with reality.

YPJT
22nd Feb 2020, 08:37
Three weeks is not a quick turnaround. In fact with AusChecks current performance it is a little below average.
Any card that is quickly processed should not be an expectation of how others will go. Even per individual, the times can vary greatly from one renewal to the next. Best advice is, get your application in by the first week of the month of expiry or even a few days before the end of the previous month. If you put it in too soon, you run the risk of the clearance coming through quickly and losing a month.