PDA

View Full Version : Zaps

FoxTwo
14th Apr 2008, 10:02
Does anyone remember or have knowledge of this great little character on an 11 Sqn bird? Seems 74 Sqn 'zapped' her at Tengah in '69 but try as I might I can't find the serial. I found reference to a 145 Sqn (226 OCU) Lightning that got a similar treatment (maybe at Leuchars) but no joy on that one either! I'd be really interested to know which aircraft decorated in this manner.

http://www.lightningpilots.com/11sqn2.html

Makes you wonder if there were more...! :)

WolvoWill
14th Apr 2008, 10:37
Not seen that one before! There was one Lightning (I forget which squadron but think it was either 92 or 11 sqn, from very vague memory) that had a pink panther peering over the roundel in a similar fashion.

teeteringhead
14th Apr 2008, 10:59
Almost certainly 92. One of the last (if not the last - memory fades) Lightning bosses of 92 was one Wg Cdr Bob B******n who was known as the Pink Panther ....

..... if you'd have seen him, you'd know why. :ok:

forget
14th Apr 2008, 11:10
Daddy of all Zaps!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/562_kiwi.jpg

Crew Chief Chf Tech Bill Pearsey poses next to Avro Vulcan B2 XH562 of the NEAF Bomber (Akrotiri) Wing at RAF Masirah in March 1972. 562 was returning from a trip to New Zealand where it had been most spectacularly 'zapped' by personnel of the RNZAF. The squadron badge on the nosewheel door is that of No 75 Squadron RNZAF. Bill Pearsey remembers:

"The 'vandalism' was done at Ohakea. Even the station commander was involved. We threatened to fly under Sydney Harbour Bridge on the way back. We had arrived at Ohakea on the Monday; the following day we were taken on a trip to Roturua in a VIP Dakota. They were just removing the steps that they used to paint the kiwi as we arrived back in the evening. On the Wednesday we flew down to Christchurch. Some Yanks came to ask us how long us Kiwis had been operating Vulcans and my mate told them that 562 was the first of 94 that we were getting. Some months after I arrived back in Akrotiri I received a very large envalope containing a photo of a squadron of 9 Kiwi Vulcans flying over Ohakea control tower. It was definitely the best trip I ever did." © Bill Pearsey. Vulcans in Camera.

John Eacott
14th Apr 2008, 11:31
Ark Royal cross decked with USS Forrestal in the Med about 1973 (IIRC), and had a couple of F4's from VMFA-531 operating for a few days. Came time to go into Grand Harbour and one F4 went U/S, and went U/S and went U/S as we came very close to Dom Mintoff's anti-USA dominion. The only solution was to strike the offending machine into the lower hangar away from prying eyes whilst we were in Malta.

After a couple of days it was snuck into the upper hangar and repaired by 892, who had this really nice tail fin colour scheme. A few days before we departed Valletta a light grey RN F4 appeared on deck to carry out ground runs, with brown paper stuck just where USMC markings might have been ;)

Within 2 hours of clearing the harbour, VMFA-531 CO's personal airplane was returned with one of the best zaps: so good, he took it all the way back home :ok:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1686-1/US+Marine+Phantom+RN+colours+02.jpg

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1694-1/US+Marine+Phantom+RN+colours+06+onto+waist+cat.jpg

John Eacott
14th Apr 2008, 11:35
Zapped at RAAF Pearce, flown on the last launch by FW from Eagle back to Yeovilton :cool:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1946-1/Vixen+124+with+RAAF+roundels+on+final+launch+from+Eagle.jpg

(The underwing roundels, not the "For Sale" sign!)

Gainesy
14th Apr 2008, 12:06
The RAAF F-111 that came over for the Queen's Silver Jubilee at Finningley stopped off for a few days at Honington. T'was zapped by the 12Sqn Linies with a rendition of 12's fox grabbing the kangeroo in the roundel by the throat and "slipping it one" with the caption:"Say Beep, Beep now yer bastard".

No pic unfortunately.

safetypee
14th Apr 2008, 12:49
In the days of painted fins, the 56 Sqn red and white chequerboard fin was seen sporting chess pieces.
Then there was a tanker crew who filed an Airmiss against an ATC vehicle – red & white chequerboard.

I have no knowledge of the F102 which sported RAF roundels at USAF Colorado Springs!

Lima Juliet
14th Apr 2008, 17:57
Back in the early 90s a 43(F) Sqn F3 dropped into Akrotiri with an engine snag whilst 29(F) Sqn were doing APC. Whilst working the 43 jet, the 29 Sqn linies painted a large egg below the fighting cock and painted its head so that it was now looking behind it with a worried look on its face. :E

Sorry no picture.

taxydual
14th Apr 2008, 18:25
Mid 70's, HRH The Prince Phillip down under. The Andover (XS793, but don't quote me) appeared after overnight point guarding in a RAAF hangar bearing a dayglo red Kangeroo by the pax door. HRH thought it was a great laugh!! Funny old thing, a year later in Canada, a Maple Leaf appeared. Since then, everytime he flew Andover, we had to stick dayglo 'roo's and Maple Leaf's on the airframe.

GeeRam
14th Apr 2008, 18:40
Does anyone remember or have knowledge of this great little character on an 11 Sqn bird? Seems 74 Sqn 'zapped' her at Tengah in '69 but try as I might I can't find the serial. I found reference to a 145 Sqn (226 OCU) Lightning that got a similar treatment (maybe at Leuchars) but no joy on that one either! I'd be really interested to know which aircraft decorated in this manner.

http://www.lightningpilots.com/11sqn2.html

Not seen that one before either...:ok:

You could probably narrow it down from the serials of the original 11 Sqn a/c that were on strength at the time, (Jan 1969) but exactly which one.....:confused:
Maybe an email to Ed D at the Lightning Pilots Assoc would be best bet to see if any have it in their log books perhaps.

I know that 10 x 11 Sqn a/c made the short deployment to Singapore and the trip there and back for the 10 x Lightnings involved 228 contacts with Victor tankers.........:eek:

Art Field
14th Apr 2008, 19:26
A VC10K detached to Singapore for an Air Defence exercise had its AAR pods decorated overnight by Kiwis over painted with the red "No Entry" sign. This was because we were not allowed to refuel the RNZAF aircraft, something to do with paying for the fuel I believe.

wellsfargo
15th Apr 2008, 08:38
For the record,W/C Barcelon was boss of 19. During my very happy 3 years at Gut on 92, we detached to Bitburg for some air defence training with the yanks.Our squadron 3 tonner arrived at the base loaded with kit for the weeks det only for the yanks to refuse us entrance because we were carrying Avpin(used for starting the 18 ton aluminum pursuit ships).We eventually got in of course.
Everything that moved (or didn't) was zapped with 92 SUX, the staish was not amused especially as his staff car was targetted.
Happy days.
Stay safe everyone.
WF.:)

Flyingblind
15th Apr 2008, 10:38
forget,

Beautiful picture of the Vulcan, have sent to Kiwi mates.

As Billy Connelly said 'Lovely on'.

Arkroyal
15th Apr 2008, 11:06
Not big zaps, but after a few ales during my EFT at Leeming in '78 we decided to brighten up the Red's Gnats with discreet 'Fly Navy' stickers beneath the cockpit hoods.

So discreet that the crabs almost missed them before displaying for the queen mum's visit.

Lot's of chuntering about possible peeling off and ingestion. Grumpy buggers took 'em off.

When we returned from Topcliffe that evening we were outside the squadron building as they taxied out. Cheery waves exchanged, until the tail end gnat turned tail-on to us. Red smoke on - GO.

He must have laughed all the way back to Kemble at the thought of us fishheads stood there drenched in red deisel.

Top marks! :O

cliver029
15th Apr 2008, 11:38
...Not sure if this qualifies, but in the early 60's at Tengah (ummmm Tengah:D)

some 81 Sqdn linies went out one lunchtime and attached cardboard anchors to the nose wheels of some visting Scimiters from the gray funnel line, each one placed in a bucket of water. they were not amused for some reason:ok:

Cliver029

John Eacott
15th Apr 2008, 11:49
discreet 'Fly Navy' stickers beneath the cockpit hoods.

So discreet that the crabs almost missed them before displaying for the queen mum's visit.

This one was so discrete that the pilot left the INTSAR competition in 1972 and led a formation of two USAF Huskies on a PR trip down the Thames. Front page of the Daily Express the next day :cool:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1426-2/RAF+Whirlwind+Fly+Navy.jpg

FoxTwo
15th Apr 2008, 11:52
Thanks all. I've not seen the Pink Panther before WolvoWill! :ok: I have narrowed the search for our pawed friend down to 10 jets which arrived at Tengah between 8th and 11th Jan '69:

XS919, XR758, XS933, XR724, XS918, XR723, XS934, XS932, XS904, XS931

Still a needle in a slightly smaller haystack though! :bored: Plus you've got me loking for the Pink Panther jet as well now! :p

airborne_artist
15th Apr 2008, 11:57
When we returned from Topcliffe that evening we were outside the squadron building as they taxied out. Cheery waves exchanged, until the tail end gnat turned tail-on to us. Red smoke on - GO.

He must have laughed all the way back to Kemble at the thought of us fishheads stood there drenched in red deisel.

Top marks!

I was on the junior course (87), and we were standing slightly further away from the tail-end Red. How we laughed. I seem to remember that the red dye/diesel took some time to wash out of your grow-bags, so for some weeks after you went around in a strange colour of brown :E

To think that all that fun was 29 years ago, almost to the day ;)

GeeRam
15th Apr 2008, 15:02
Thanks all. I've not seen the Pink Panther before WolvoWill! I have narrowed the search for our pawed friend down to 10 jets which arrived at Tengah between 8th and 11th Jan '69:

Would be a huge co-incidence if it turned out to be XS904 which is still 'live' at Brunty......

Be fun putting pressure on the LPG lads to paintstrip off all that camo and return '904 to her '60's bare finish complete with a recreated 'Tiger' zap...:ok:

seac
15th Apr 2008, 16:25
Would be a huge co-incidence if it turned out to be XS904 which is still 'live' at Brunty......

Be fun putting pressure on the LPG lads to paintstrip off all that camo and return '904 to her '60's bare finish complete with a recreated 'Tiger' zap...

....or XR724 at Binbrook.

Wensleydale
15th Apr 2008, 17:13
I remember a White Elephant being painted next to the rear door of a Nimrod AEW Mk3 after being left overnight at Lossie. GEC were not amused!

ImageGear
15th Apr 2008, 17:14
Would anyone care to remember a complete line of frightenings being zapped at a Scottish base late 60's and the subsequent gating of an entire visiting team to get to the guilty party/s ?

The zaps were found to be of a somewhat corrosive nature :eek:

Not, not, not me Boss:=

Imagegear

WolvoWill
15th Apr 2008, 17:24
Thanks all. I've not seen the Pink Panther before WolvoWill! :ok: I have narrowed the search for our pawed friend down to 10 jets which arrived at Tengah between 8th and 11th Jan '69:

Still a needle in a slightly smaller haystack though! :bored: Plus you've got me loking for the Pink Panther jet as well now! :p

The Pink Panther jet is actually a 19sqn F2, serial XN781 - I just bought a 1/48 airfix Lightning F2/F6 (oh the geekiness ;)) and it happens to be one of the aircraft for which markings are provided :ok:

FoxTwo
17th Apr 2008, 09:31
Haha! Good spot GeeRam. It would indeed be an awesome sight but I don't think you'd gain any brownie points for suggesting it! :oh:

WolvoWill - Thanks again! Saved me the trouble of tracking it down. This little pawed bugger still eludes me however! Bring back 74 Sqn that's what I say! Must be some spare Typhoons hangin' about somewhere...:hmm:

fantaman
17th Apr 2008, 14:49
The black Eurofighter DA2 test aircraft (ZH588), was she zapped when she was using the HAS site at Leuchars? If so, must be one of the more famous zaps having now gone on display at Hendon with the "Fighting Cock" still on the tail.

Corgi have also produced a die cast model that features the "zap" :ok:

goudie
17th Apr 2008, 15:12
During the mid 60's when Canberras from Akrotiri were detached to Tengah zapping was rife. A flamingo was the symbol used by us Akrotiri guys and it was amazing the places where they appeared. The RNZAF guys were extremely intrepid zappers as I recall.

XV277
17th Apr 2008, 16:56
There was a No 1 Squadron Harrier T4 painted pink by a French Squadron whilst on an exchange visit.

MDJETFAN
18th Apr 2008, 01:17
When 898 Squadron zapped the USMC F-4 with their tail markings, VMF-531 maintainers returned the favor by replacing the fuselage roundels with pre-WW2 US star markings on the Skipper's bird XV590 R/001 when the squiadron wore the Jubilee markings. They also painted out "Royal Navy" on the flanks and replaced it with "Colonial Navy". There is a decal sheet in existance of these markings.

Dan D'air
18th Apr 2008, 04:49
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6401-6500/gal6412-F-4-Nanagas/00.shtm

Indeed there is. I particularly liked the "Buy RAF Aircraft for £13" link at the very bottom of the page. That's a lot cheaper than the Typhoon!! Good old google. :ok:

Dan Winterland
18th Apr 2008, 05:13
Not really a zap as the crew knew we were doing it. But this is what one of our groundcrew did the the French KC135 on Operation Provide Comfort (Operation provide Carpets?) at Incirlik in '96. It depicts the French captain's wife with a lovelorn frog!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/froggytanka.jpg

The crew got into some trouble when they took it home!

Dan D'air
18th Apr 2008, 05:37
Pre-emptive apologies as this is slightly off thread, especially on a Friday but it relates (albeit tenuously) to Dan Winterland's post.

I heard a tale about a recently divorced woman who, a little frustrated in the bedroom department, was walking past a pet shop and noticed a sign for a "Pussy licking frog, £30". Overwhelmed by curiosity, as well as thinking that it could be the answer to her problem, she went in and looked everywhere for it.
After searching high and low with no success, she approached the counter and explained that she was looking for the aforementioned reptilian.
The assistant raised an eyebrow and said..................."Bonjour Madame".

beefix
18th Apr 2008, 06:35
Vulcan force-late seventies. Strike Force Dispersal exercise. A certain member of the crew I was with decided that it would be fun to zap the "shape" we were carrying. Big,big mistake, := despite my/our best efforts the bloody thing would not come off. Needless to say, on RTB the sh8t hit the fan big time. :{

R J Kinloch
18th Apr 2008, 20:40
Mid 70's RNZAF 14 Sqn

One of our Strikemasters ??69 had "The International Breakfast" written below the nose number.

Aircraft rostered for an Airshow so you better get that off.

The paint had eaten through the camouflage paint and couldn't be removed.

Oops better roster another Aircraft

:\

Arkroyal
22nd Apr 2008, 12:09
airborne artist,

Still got the gro-bag in question somewhere. Went a very odd shade of ochre.

Dick C's bunny suit (only HE would have one at that stage) went a very fetching pink colour.

That's a cracker, John Eacott. The 'Y' demonstrates WAFU planning to a tee.

GolfSierra
22nd Apr 2008, 13:20
Does anyone have a photo of the Frightning at Binbrook with HUGE dayglo CCCP lettering? Saw a copy of a photo many years ago before the Frightning it was swiftly wheeled back into the hangar.

Gainesy
22nd Apr 2008, 14:33
There was a No 1 Squadron Harrier T4 painted pink by a French Squadron whilst on an exchange visit.

IIRC, Pink with white polka dots.

Pilot used to frequent Pprune, you still around Henry?

There was still a dayglo Harrier zap on a roundabout sign at Lakenheath a few years ago. Been there since about 1975.

Argies got a bit sniffy when their Pucara was zapped with "Combat Proven" Harrier stickers at the Santiago air show. Chilean AF mates thought it was great.

dkh51250
30th Jul 2009, 00:02
RAF Catterick 81sh just before Christmas. WL745 of 8 sqn flown in for the firefighters to play with. Aircraft strip team come down from Lossie and request, amongst other things, a gallon of white paint and brushes.

The Shackleton, visible from the A1, has Merry Christmas written along the side of the fuselage for all to see. Cue sense of humour failure from the "Commandant". Next request from the team is for brushwash and wire wool for paint removal purposes.

Not to be outdone the team use the remaining paint on the upper wings for the slogan "8 IS GREAT". Catterick overhead was very busy in those days Leeming, Teesside etc.

Fortunately the "Commandant was a dwarf and could not see their handiwork.

Mick Strigg
30th Jul 2009, 11:47
Ark, AA

I too, was there! Perhaps we need a Prune reunion (or is it a prunion)?

Photo
31st Jul 2009, 01:00
Taken at the Culdrose Air Day 2005
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/sboreham/FlyNavy.jpg

garyscott
19th Sep 2014, 23:10
Resurrecting an old thread I know, but this I found is too good to let go into obscurity . . .

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z300/petetong1704/Mobile%20Uploads/d3dbfc6f-9312-4d3a-910d-377eecf34ce7_zpsdfba9b3b.png

The pain of landing on the wrong carrier . . . :D

camlobe
20th Sep 2014, 16:49
This thread has reminded me of an occasion at Leuchars in the late '80's.

We are on a long (2month) det while Lossie's runway is resurfaced. Friday evening this young USAFE Lt strolls in and asks if we have any yellow paint, a brush, and a ladder. 8 Sqn always happy to oblige supplies the goods.

Monday mid morning, a red faced and unamused USAFE Major storms in demanding to know which &@?%#$ has painted HIS F15 with another squadron's colours, particularly wheel hubs and fin flash...in rather gourish and distinctive yellow, complete with drips everywhere, and I really do mean everywhere. He followed the trail to our door. It had arrived early on Friday in blue. We then realised that a certain young Lt in the other yellow tipped jet had departed much earlier that morning. Despite the Major's protestations, we were unable to help him in any way...probably because we were too busy chuckling.

Camlobe

charliegolf
20th Sep 2014, 17:37
Total drift, with the actual 'zap' being the only link...

1984 Austrian Grand Prix, 2x 230 Sqn Pumas on a jolly, er, I mean, doing support work for the Reds.

Now the sqn zap at the time was a gold (yellow) tiger's head motif on a black, square background- a close match for the JPS colour scheme Nigel Mansell was driving. When asked, he was only too happy to run the race wearing the zap just behind the cockpit. He seemed a very vice, genuine fella.

Wasn't his day, he failed to finish! Lauda won the race.

CG

Wander00
20th Sep 2014, 18:22
Met NM at a Reds End of season guest Night - good driver but not the world's best conversationalist. David Jason, on the other hand, and at the same function, had us all in stitches, just being himself

langleybaston
21st Sep 2014, 13:23
I expect I have recounted this but what the heck.

A French Exchange squadron ?Mysteres? zapped a complete base: RAF Gutersloh, with a stencil and white paint. SHQ, Mess, Sgts Mess, Sick Quarters .......
Priapic winged wedding tackle zaps everywhere. SWO apoplectic.

Met. office window shutter had the treatment but we whipped it off and hid it behind a cupboard. This, and the cupboard itself, with original Luftwaffe stencils and ID numbers was our pride and joy.

BEagle
21st Sep 2014, 13:40
Some groundcrew at Goose Bay once thought that it would be a merry wheeze to zap some Hercules which was night-stopping....

Unfortunately it was carrying a 'special cargo' back to the UK from the err....desert of New Mexico....:oh:

I understand that their OC had rather a one-sided chat with certain rather humourless gentlemen in dark suits shortly afterwards....:eek:

TimBee
19th Feb 2020, 17:58
Zaps - I am a Volunteer at the RAF Museum London. On a number of our aircraft (e.g. Tornado and Buccaneer) there are zaps (stickers of other units) hidden away in the undercarriage bays etc. Plus some graffiti. I am writing a short Blog for the Museum on this subject and I am keen to learn more about the subject :-
- what is the history of zaps?
- why are zaps so popular?
- when are they used and by whom?
- does anyone have any interesting, or amusing anecdotes on the subject of zaps?
Grateful for any info!
Cheers

Wensleydale
19th Feb 2020, 18:19
Early 1960s...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1869/image_01_fd85363ebbee1cb5e3dc8eda092d2dd6d98fe302.jpg

TEEEJ
19th Feb 2020, 19:15
See following link for a rather special zap on RAF Tornado GR1, serial ZA474.

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/614160-time-when-tornado-made-emergency-landing-tonopah.html

Wensleydale
19th Feb 2020, 19:49
Back in 1986(?), there was a Nimrod Meet at Kinloss, and as well as hosting the MR2 and the R1, the Nimrod AEW3 Trials Team sent an AEW3 for the weekend (any excuse for a jolly). Overnight, a large white elephant stencil was painted on the Nimrod's rear door. GEC/Marconi were not happy, and the AEW3 was forbidden from any more such detachments.

oxenos
19th Feb 2020, 20:06
As in the photo, the RAAF were in the habit of putting kangaroo zaps on everything. 205 Squadron (Shackletons , Changi) had a stencil of a ball and chain, which was added to all the kangaroos.

TimBee
19th Feb 2020, 20:15
Many thanks!

Exrigger
19th Feb 2020, 20:21
When I was on 230 OCU at RAF Scampton 1970/71, I made Snoopy zaps out of dayglo and they ended up in quite a few places, some had details painted on them, it passed the time.

Hydromet
19th Feb 2020, 20:34
I recall seeing a stencil of a kiwi obscuring the kangaroo on an RAAF roundel.

langleybaston
19th Feb 2020, 21:02
Difficult to beat the winged todger and knackers that appeared all over RAF Gutersloh c. 1968 when a visiting French fighter squadron departed. They were spray-painted on stencils. The SWO man went berserk of course, and he had them disappeared before the last fighter was in the air.

BUT the one on the Met Office [ground floor of the tower] survived because it was on a window shutter. I was on morning shift, had the shutter whipped off and had it hidden.
A good few years later when I was the inspecting officer it still survived.

I wonder.

Tashengurt
19th Feb 2020, 21:03
I do remember a time when you couldn't go anywhere in the UK (and probably further) without seeing a dayglo train stuck on roadsigns, pub bars and even the odd chimney.

Martin the Martian
19th Feb 2020, 21:04
Surely the accolade of the ultimate zap must go to the pink Harrier.

Wensleydale
19th Feb 2020, 21:12
Back in WW2, the troops of the 51st Highland Division left their HD monica on everything that they could - so much so that they were known as 51st HD (Highway Decorators) Division.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/236x247/hd_5f10dbd8d02cd8ee5a0c4ba3861afd0f78990077.jpg

safetypee
19th Feb 2020, 21:30
Early days of The Lightning;

56 Sqn, large red and white chequers on the fin, gained a few chess pieces during a European visit.

23 Sqn 2xF6 with overwings, tanked non-stop to Toronto airshow. Gained 'Air Canada' logos; photos on web somewhere.

Mogwi
20th Feb 2020, 08:28
I was given a "combat proven" sticker by the Roland missile team at Farnborough in the early 80s after a discussion about the success of their kit down south. It was applied to the fin of my Sea Harrier!

Mog

Jhieminga
20th Feb 2020, 08:42
See following link for a rather special zap on RAF Tornado GR1, serial ZA474.
The link didn't work for me, try this one: https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/614160-time-when-tornado-made-emergency-landing-tonopah.html

NutLoose
20th Feb 2020, 10:23
The jag world was a small place, so often if a Jag was returning from RAFG to the UK or the other way around, often cryptic and damned right rude messages were written on the undercarriage doors and bays to people you knew, because often you would know who would be seeing the jets in.

Jobza Guddun
20th Feb 2020, 12:55
Zaps - I am a Volunteer at the RAF Museum London. On a number of our aircraft (e.g. Tornado and Buccaneer) there are zaps (stickers of other units) hidden away in the undercarriage bays etc. Plus some graffiti.

As a matter of interest, does your Tornado have "FLAV is fat" or "Dave Yeeles is a big jobby" scrawled anywhere? GR groundcrew would regularly find these, bit of an inside joke.

Another favourite would be to colour in the breached dam on any visiting 617 jet. Crew generally wouldn't notice but phone calls later were common. I also recall when TWCU was 45(R) Sqn, their Griffin (?) insignia would often end up flying home with dayglo genitalia on display!

Speedywheels
20th Feb 2020, 13:53
Surely the accolade of the ultimate zap must go to the pink Harrier.
....or the turd brown Nimrod?

TimBee
20th Feb 2020, 14:25
As a matter of interest, does your Tornado have "FLAV is fat" or "Dave Yeeles is a big jobby" scrawled anywhere? GR groundcrew would regularly find these, bit of an inside joke.

Another favourite would be to colour in the breached dam on any visiting 617 jet. Crew generally wouldn't notice but phone calls later were common. I also recall when TWCU was 45(R) Sqn, their Griffin (?) insignia would often end up flying home with dayglo genitalia on display!

Sorry no, ours (ex-617 Sqn) has a couple of USAF/USN zaps in the main u/c bay and some graffiti also there, saying IX(B) sank the Tirpitz!

NutLoose
20th Feb 2020, 14:34
I rather liked the Wessex that went on its airtest with the complete set of VIZ characters down the side, or the Royal Air Farce VC10

kintyred
20th Feb 2020, 20:57
Many moons ago at MPN, one of the SAR boys (Flt Lt L.. C........d) and I were returning to the accommodation from LOT22 ( 78 Sun bar). The aforementioned officer was very well oiled and as we passed the 1563Flt (F4) QRA Landy parked at the door he pointed to it and said in a slurred voice, ‘I will not paint that wagon yellow’....
Imagine my surprise when I emerged the following morning to see said vehicle’s immaculate battleship grey livery with red Maltese Cross insignia now sporting a vibrant yellow paint job.....including the tyres and windscreen (apart from a small slit for the driver) along with a significant portion of the parking space itself.
The MTO was apoplectic and OC Kerosene Kids was also very dischuffed. Remarkably though, despite extensive investigations by the feds the culprit was never caught. In fact despite the obvious association of the paint colour to another flying unit on the station not a single SAR boy was even interviewed.
LC, the best SH mate the SH force never had. Wherever you are L, we salute you!

ex82watcher
20th Feb 2020, 21:38
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/20200220_222251_baaaf6579ffdd34ffea3b35e174913204d0688e9.jpg
These were around in the mid 80s.

Easy Street
21st Feb 2020, 07:19
I do remember a time when you couldn't go anywhere in the UK (and probably further) without seeing a dayglo train stuck on roadsigns, pub bars and even the odd chimney.

They were the handiwork of TTTE ('Thomas the Tank Engine') at Cottesmore. It was also possible until about 2010 to navigate from Brize to Marham by following the direction marked by a dayglo bull's head.

Other odd places I've seen squadron zaps include the tops of ski-lift pylons in France (presumably applied from the end of an outstretched ski pole) long before winter sports stickers became a 'thing', high on nightclub ceilings (thrown up on the back of a wallet?) and the roof of air show party tents (by skilled climbers of marquee poles). And there used to be an occasional sighting of an 'Advisory for Aircrew' or 'Advisory for Fast Jet Aircrew' sticker, in yellow and black with hatched edges to look like an emergency notice. My favourite instance of the latter was next to a 'Now wash your hands' notice in the gents' at RAF Valley Officer's Mess!

As with many other traditions of the 60s to 90s, zapping things other than aircraft seems to have died away over the last decade or so. The only exception I can think of is The Eagle pub in Cambridge, which has a rather more smartly applied collection, mainly USAF but also some civilian (e.g. Boeing test) and RAF, including the II(AC) Sqn 'Second to None' zap. In other places this one often used to be seen pen-amended to 'Second to One' or more rarely 'Second to Nine'...

Jhieminga
21st Feb 2020, 10:00
... or the Royal Air Farce VC10
Can you tell us more about that one?

binbrook
21st Feb 2020, 10:03
I don't know whether it counts as a zap but, a long time ago when Franco was being obnoxious and Hunters were sent to Gib, wasn't the resident Viscount marked up to show that its operator was YOGIBAIR?

ExAscoteer2
21st Feb 2020, 16:31
These used to be all over Europe:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/140x80/dom_zap_58126498edc3f15da04eb77bb32740b3ec42a287.png

ShyTorque
21st Feb 2020, 22:01
Some Army Air Corps pilots (UK) used small gold coloured "zaps" declaring: "You are being flown by Teeny Weeny Airlines Taxy Service".

ShyTorque
21st Feb 2020, 22:06
A certain infamous Puma pilot allegedly flow so low over a German zoo that the resident elephant had a heart attack, keeled over and died. Word soon went around. The next time he flew, there was an inverted dayglo elephant sticker on his cockpit door.

NutLoose
25th Feb 2020, 12:13
Can you tell us more about that one?

It appeared one evening in Base hangar, everyone had a lot of chuckles over it, most of the night shift trapsed over to see it, but in the daytime they were not amused and it was hastily change back. I doubt anyone had a camera with them in those days sadly....

There was also the French one... I think it was possibly the first repaint that was farmed out to Luton and it came back and everyone on the line knew something was not quite right, but it took a while before someone figured it out and noticed the tail flash had been added the wrong way round.... vive la France!

BEagle
25th Feb 2020, 13:27
....or the turd brown Nimrod?

Our Vulcan AEO had been at St Mawgan at the time of that infamous event and recounted the saga. It seems that it had been decided by Someone Senior, that HM's Mighty Hunters were no longer to look like airliners, but were to be painted in a rather more warry colour schem. 'Hemp' was about to become the fashionable colour of the day, so the order went out "Obtain paint ref. XXXXXX" and paint a Nimrod forthwith!".

Several hundred gallons of paint duly arrived. A wise old SNCO painter took one look and was surprised at the strange brown contents. So he rang someone further up the food chain "Sir, the paint wot has come doesn't look much like 'hemp'?".

"Right, leave it with me and I will check with Supply Wing"

"OC Supply here, how can I help - have you checked the ref. no.?" "Of course, sir, but Chiefy says that it's not exactly 'hemp', in fact it's a sort of, to put it politely, chocolate brown"

"Hmm, I will check with Group" "Ah, sir, OC Supply at St Mawgan here, the paint supplied for your Nimrod seems to be rather a strange colour"

"I know, it's called 'hemp'"

"But sir, Chiefy says that it doesn't look like 'hemp'"

"I AM A VERY SENIOR PERSON AND I KNOW ABOUT PAINT - STOP WASTING MY VALUABLE TIME AND PAINT THE BLOODY THING!"

And so it came to pass that the work began. "Maybe it'll change colour when it dries?" was the helpful suggestion.

It dried.

It didn't change colour.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/448x215/new_picture_5d181032ed4fedae82b9cee8a3fb04be2c3cfa7f.jpg

To spare blushes, it never ventured further than wherever local training took it. But one fine day came the AOC's Inspection. The brown bomber was moved to the remotest part of the aerodrome, but even so The Man spotted it.

"WHAT, Station Commander, is THAT?"

"Nimrod, Sir!"

"I know it's a Nimrod, man, why is it that horrible colour?"

"Group told us to paint it, sir"

"Well paint it again, this time in the right colour!"

Which duly happened. But if only someone had listened to the wise old SNCO in the first place!

PlasticCabDriver
25th Feb 2020, 13:42
Many moons ago at MPN, one of the SAR boys (Flt Lt L.. C........d) and I were returning to the accommodation from LOT22 ( 78 Sun bar). The aforementioned officer was very well oiled and as we passed the 1563Flt (F4) QRA Landy parked at the door he pointed to it and said in a slurred voice, ‘I will not paint that wagon yellow’....

1563 was the Puma flight in Belize (amongst other places), did you mean 1435?

Crromwellman
25th Feb 2020, 15:28
Well remember a Det to Mildenhall in late-1970s when the Brit contingent got at CINCSAC's VC-135 and replaced the red centre of the fuselage stars and bars with a sticker announcing that the vehicle was "stolen from Willhire Van Rentals". Almighty sense of humour failure and witch hunt followed with the Brits assuming their best "What us guv" approach. We heard later that CINCSAC was quite amused by the zap but wondered how the Brits had circumvented the armed guards.

Tashengurt
25th Feb 2020, 20:06
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/448x215/new_picture_5d181032ed4fedae82b9cee8a3fb04be2c3cfa7f_5a614e0 fb7430ab95975abb0487b9abed56434a7.jpg

Well whaddya know? Turns out you can polish them!

ExAscoteer2
25th Feb 2020, 20:12
It seems that it had been decided by Someone Senior, that HM's Mighty Hunters were no longer to look like airliners, but were to be painted in a rather more warry colour schem.

It was **** all to do with being 'warry' as you well know, but everything to do with cam on concrete parking areas vs atmospheric reflectivity when airborne.

In the same way, were not your much vaunted (and never in the right bloody place) VC10s painted in hemp?

bspatz
25th Feb 2020, 20:58
Given that the Nimrod hemp colour scheme was designed to blend with concrete why did they resurface the main parking area at Kinloss with black tarmac?

BEagle
25th Feb 2020, 22:03
The first VC10K2, ZA141, was originally painted in grey/green camouflage with a light grey underside. We described this on US flight plans as 'lizard', hence '141 became known as 'The Lizard'.

Then they were all painted in hemp, with light grey undersurfaces. Which looked rather better than 'lizard'.

But when the RN started retiring many of its war canoes, a surplus of 'paint, grey, ships for the painting of' became available, so 'John Major Grey' became the colour of choice as 'Pusser' had oceans of the wretched stuff available to sell to the RAF!

The first grey VC10K appeared with a 'wedgewood blue' cheat line and white lettering, which received many ribald remarks about the 'blue vein'. Latterly the blue was changed to dark grey, as was the white lettering. Much tidier!

ExAscoteer2
25th Feb 2020, 23:06
The first VC10K2, ZA141, was originally painted in grey/green camouflage with a light grey underside. We described this on US flight plans as 'lizard', hence '141 became known as 'The Lizard'.

Then they were all painted in hemp, with light grey undersurfaces. Which looked rather better than 'lizard'.

Still were never in the right ******* place though.

BEagle
26th Feb 2020, 07:55
Still were never in the right ******* place though.
Explain your unfounded and scurrilous libel!

claron
26th Feb 2020, 08:30
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/20200220_222251_baaaf6579ffdd34ffea3b35e174913204d0688e9.jpg
These were around in the mid 80s.

I remember these Zaps and T shirts causing a bit of a stir at IAT Greenham Common 81,
The organizers didn't see the funny side, and the guys from 8 sqn were asked to withdraw them from sale.

condor17
26th Feb 2020, 08:33
Binbrook ,
Yep anything Gibair was known as Yogibair . Again don't know if it counts , but was into GIB on 1st 732 in GB colours [ memory might say DV leased from Brits/AirEurope ], instead of temp placards inside BA Trids and BA Airtours 732s .
Went for a chat with RAF ATC tower guys ..... they ... '' Doesn't look right without a Yogibair sticker '' ...... '' We've a couple prepared earlier , wot's it need ? '' .
Me '' Coffee 'n Biccis please , white no sugar . It's the end of BA airtours hangar party tonight , and we've to take her to the hangar on arrival LGW ''

Good farewell party and job done ...Don't know how long they lasted on the nose , 'cos Dayglo stood out .

rgds condor

Jhieminga
26th Feb 2020, 09:12
The first grey VC10K appeared with a 'wedgewood blue' cheat line and white lettering, which received many ribald remarks about the 'blue vein'. Latterly the blue was changed to dark grey, as was the white lettering. Much tidier!
Wandering off topic, but do you know how long ZA149 stayed in that scheme? According to some photos, it stayed in these grey/blue colours from early 1994 to at least mid 1996, but I would like to know when it received the final grey scheme.

NutLoose
26th Feb 2020, 10:51
Well remember a Det to Mildenhall in late-1970s when the Brit contingent got at CINCSAC's VC-135 and replaced the red centre of the fuselage stars and bars with a sticker announcing that the vehicle was "stolen from Willhire Van Rentals". Almighty sense of humour failure and witch hunt followed with the Brits assuming their best "What us guv" approach. We heard later that CINCSAC was quite amused by the zap but wondered how the Brits had circumvented the armed guards.

I do remember one aircraft being adorned and I cannot remember what it was, by the simply task sliding a plank across from wing tip to wing tip and while the guard patrolled below, mischief was being carried out above..

30mRad
26th Feb 2020, 17:23
There was a visit to Southport by HRH Prince Charles back in early 1989, and the 146 used to bring him up landed at RAF Woodvale. The Purple Airspace constrained flying for a bit so we (studes) spent the time talking to the crew about the aircraft etc. Someone, whilst the crew were distracted, zapped the inside of the main gear which went unnoticed until a few days later. I believe there were repercussions as a result both on the Royal Flight and on the UAS. The individual who zapped was "fined" in the LUAS fine book too!!

NutLoose
26th Feb 2020, 17:48
Wandering off topic, but do you know how long ZA149 stayed in that scheme? According to some photos, it stayed in these grey/blue colours from early 1994 to at least mid 1996, but I would like to know when it received the final grey scheme.

it was parked across from my room window, was there for a while.... It had an extra 68psi switch in the cabin compressor outlet don't you know, same as ZA150, specified by East African Airways, but gawd knows why..

ICO
27th Feb 2020, 03:14

I recall from my JEngO tour on IX(B) Sqn being tasked with staging an aircraft with technicians busy for a visit by Bob Ainsworth, Gordon Brown's Defence Sec. The Avionics Techs were busy with a long term Z12 loom repair so this was an ideal platform for the Sec to see. The Rects Controller detailed a team to remove any groundcrew graffiti from the u/c bays etc. I went out 30 minutes before the Sec came into the HAS and was impressed that aircraft was relatively clean (for a Tornado), the HAS was tidy and all looked well until I opened the GSP and refuel panel to find 'Dave Yeeles is a big jobby' scrawled in black permanent marker on the yellow background!

When the inspection team was asked about this missed graffiti their (valid) excuse was that Dave Yeeles jobby messages were so prevalent that they faded into the background! When the Hon Bob Ainsworth walked into the HAS the offending graffiti had been redacted with another black marker and he was none the wiser.

Wensleydale
27th Feb 2020, 07:33
I remember these Zaps and T shirts causing a bit of a stir at IAT Greenham Common 81,
The organizers didn't see the funny side, and the guys from 8 sqn were asked to withdraw them from sale.

8 Sqn had a semi-professional cartoonist in its ranks (pen name of "Gwyn" who used to draw for Air Pictorial and such magazines), plus a screen printer. Zaps various ("Old Age & Treachery will Triumph over Youth & Skill" for example) made it to T-shirts/ sweat shirts and even ladies' underwear which were very big sellers around the air shows. I wore an old and torn 8 Screws sweatshirt to an aircrew party at an airshow in Ramstein once - it was immediately demanded, and swapped for an American cold weather flying jacket which kept me warm in Lossie for a good few years. The booty from the sqn memorabilia stall at airshows kept us stocked for a good few aircrew parties!

1.3VStall
27th Feb 2020, 10:33
Many moons ago I had the occasion to use the Gents at King's Cross station. As I approached the urinal I was amused to see a zap, which proclaimed "You have just entered the Midland Radar overhead".

Willy Miller
28th Feb 2020, 13:26
I am amazed no-one has provided a photo of 120sqn HQ roof after "T S" was added to the "C X X"

In 6 foot high yellow paint.

Just because we put your sqn Metro car in your bar!

G-ARZG
28th Feb 2020, 16:34
What about the hangar roof at Cazaux ? 'Small Dicks' - now who could the culprits be?
(still visible if you slide back to 2012 in Google Earth, pixellated in later shots...)

langleybaston
28th Feb 2020, 17:50
I am amazed no-one has provided a photo of 120sqn HQ roof after "T S" was added to the "C X X"

In 6 foot high yellow paint.

Just because we put your sqn Metro car in your bar!

Must be getting old and less rude ....... took me ages to work that out!

Null Orifice
29th Feb 2020, 13:13
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/309x298/gib_zap_5c1e88adc9d51597d3f37566e151e0b8f59d99ea.jpg
Several times!

cynicalint
29th Feb 2020, 22:12
Originally Posted by Willy Miller View Post (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/629885-zaps-5.html#post10698227)
I am amazed no-one has provided a photo of 120sqn HQ roof after "T S" was added to the "C X X"https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/850x645/120sqnroof_977e3c1c2cba18f1267a8b86ec8fb227955deb4b.jpg
What, This one?/

Willy Miller
5th Mar 2020, 19:42
That's it, BRILLIANT!

The boss had a total sense of humor failure but the lads all thought it was fair play!

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2020, 21:01
In addition to zaps and T shirts we had knickers. At a German air show our wares attracted much interest. Then a Frau snuck in behind our pop up shop and shyly asked for a pair of knickers. She made sure her husband didn't see her.

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2020, 21:05
Originally Posted by Willy Miller View Post (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/629885-zaps-5.html#post10698227)
I am amazed no-one has provided a photo of 120sqn HQ roof after "T S" was added to the "C X X"https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/850x645/120sqnroof_977e3c1c2cba18f1267a8b86ec8fb227955deb4b.jpg
What, This one?/
In 1964 10 Sqn Victors zapped the top of the Officers Mess garages with XV IS BUMS. They were ordered to remove the offensive white lettering. The black over paint was still visible 30 years later.

thunderbird7
6th Mar 2020, 18:28
In 1964 10 Sqn Victors zapped the top of the Officers Mess garages with XV IS BUMS. They were ordered to remove the offensive white lettering. The black over paint was still visible 30 years later.

A naughty schoolboy painted HM Prison on the roof of my school in the 70s. The cleaned tiles still clearly spelled the same when I started flying and went to have a look 10 years later..

OldAgeandTreachery
6th Mar 2020, 21:17
Two that I remember involved Kinloss Nimrods. Firstly in the early 70s, more tail art than zap, the Fincastle Trophy winner had,on it's tail, John Bull throttling a Kiwi with one hand, crushing a Maple Leaf with the other and had his foot on the neck of a Kangaroo. The second was, I think XV260, in Gibraltar during a NATO exercise, when it was decorated in 120 sqn colours being zapped, or carefully adapted, by Trembler groundcrew so that it became a 111 sqn aircraft. (CXX into CXI)