PDA

View Full Version : Techtation

Pilot DAR
18th Feb 2020, 14:52
Yeah, spell check tells me that “techtation” is not a word… Oaky, I acknowledge, but I’m going to use it anyway…

Elsewhere, we have read about incidents and accidents, which have at least as factors, pilots continuing flight into weather conditions beyond their capability. This, sadly, is not new, it’s been happening for as long as we’ve been flying. But recent technological improvements in avionics should be lessening this risk – Is the risk being lessened? It doesn’t seem so…

When I learned to fly in the mid ‘70’s, having more than a clunky tube comm radio in a GA plane was a luxury. Having a gyro attitude indicator was a maybe, not a certainty. Maybe there was a VOR or ADF nav, but not certain, and GPS was unheard of. So navigation and terrain avoidance was mostly finger on chart, and determining attitude was looking out the window. If you went “eyes in”, there was not much to direct you.

The evolution of cockpit information has been astonishing! I have my fair share of Garmin glass cockpit time, including the most recent touch screen PFD in a Cessna Caravan I flew in December. There was more information presented, than I could think to ask for! It was several hours of VFR flying before I figured out what some of the arcs and lines on the display were telling me. Certainly useful information, but information which decades ago I would have figured out roughly with some mental math. The avionics designers are surpassing themselves, and each other in presenting more and more information at less cost.

But is this making VFR flying more safe? Perhaps not at the rate we would think. We continue to have accidents where very capable aircraft are flown by adequately capable pilots into unsuitable conditions. I opine that in many cases, these pilots suffer from techtation, where they know that they have ample technical capability in the aircraft, but that knowledge lures them into worsening conditions. I admit this failure in my own flying from time to time. I’ve caught myself about to follow the magenta line, and thinking to myself “I don’t have enough information to continue along this line, maybe I should turn around”. I guess I’m here, because on those occasions I did turn around it was probably the better decision. I’ve done my fair share of IFR flying, but it’s my decision to not fly in those conditions anymore, so I choose to remain VMC.

My Fire Chief would say to the drivers about our four wheel drive fire trucks “Four wheel drive is to get you out, not for you to get further in”. Similarly, pilots of very capable aircraft being operated in a VMC environment, probably should consider the ultimate in that capability only for use after they’ve made the decision to turn around from deteriorating weather…..

megan
18th Feb 2020, 15:43
I guess your thread is because of the article posted elsewhere DAR? Posted in case readers missed it.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/24391996_Effects_of_Advanced_Cockpit_Displays_on_General_Avi ation_Pilots'_Decisions_to_Continue_Visual_Flight_Rules_VFR_ Flight_Into_Instrument_Meteorological_Conditions_IMC

Jan Olieslagers
18th Feb 2020, 18:34
I rather wondered if it were posted in defiance of this (https://www.pprune.org/private-flying/629527-synthetic-vor-dme.html)

Pilot DAR
19th Feb 2020, 18:40
'Not a reaction to this very worthwhile discussions, rather summing up my thoughts on experiences I have had, and other not so good events I have been aware of. I see instructors and mentors (including me) promoting the new tech to eager pilots, yet not giving enough attention to the resulting higher risk resulting from the techtation, which previously would not have been possible. When I was ferrying back an MD500 helicopter, with no gyro instruments at all, I sure regarded the importance of effective visual contact with the ground. Going IMC for even a few moment would have been fatal. No tech was a certain way to demand my discipline in not continuing into IMC!

Geriaviator
20th Feb 2020, 11:44
Even 40 years ago we were discussing whether basic airmanship was more important than computer-minding; tectation is a good word for it. Back in the 1970s I watched with some envy as light aviation loaded up with twin VHF/VOR and digital ADFs replaced the coffee-grinders. Weather was a diminishing problem, we told ourselves. I was fortunate in being allowed to make mistakes in a simulator but couldn't afford the shiny new kit anyway. The PPL who waved to me as he taxied past the hold one morning was very proud of his new IFR avionic fit, which was of little use as he flew into a foggy hillside 20 minutes later.

Hot 'n' High
20th Feb 2020, 16:34
Yeah, spell check tells me that “techtation” is not a word… Oaky, I acknowledge, but I’m going to use it anyway…...........

But is this making VFR flying more safe? Perhaps not at the rate we would think. We continue to have accidents where very capable aircraft are flown by adequately capable pilots into unsuitable conditions. I opine that in many cases, these pilots suffer from techtation, where they know that they have ample technical capability in the aircraft, but that knowledge lures them into worsening conditions..........…..

Hi Pilot DAR, an interesting set of thoughts ... and something that has received some formal study in the past - but not recently as far as I know. In the UK, the CAA ran the On Track study which, while looking at the causes for airspace infringements, noted that the use of more sophisticated Nav equipment inc GPS brought it's own problems ranging from press-on-itis in poor weather, basic programming errors taking pilots blindly to the wrong airfields or to just not leaving any margin for error when it came to Nav. That study dates back to 2003 and the report can be found here https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_5.PDF. It also covers a load of other reasons for such errors, and focuses on infringements of CAS as a priority. However, some 20% of the infringements were due, in part, due to issues surrounding the use of GPS though other things like "distraction" could be linked (ie spending too much time playing with the GPS!)

People like Mike Nendick (New Zealand -"Global Positioning System (GPS): Human Factors aspects for General Aviation Pilots.") and Kevin Williams (USA - The FAA CAPSTONE Project) were also looking into this in the late 1990's tho the CAPSTONE project was more looking at how it could be used in Alaska to make flying safer. That said, "risk analysis" was all part of that work. There was also a study started in the UK entitled "UK GPS Research" which aimed to look at something more akin to what you, Pilot DAR, raise as an issue; the more general problem of "techtation" or the impact of the new technology on workload and situational awareness in PPLs. Again, that was around 2004 but only the first phase was completed which was some initial scoping work. Sadly, not all such work is published or completed for various reasons, especially work coming out of private academic study which can stop due to lack of funding or other problems like work getting in the way. I'm not really aware of anything else more recent taking place - not to say it hasn't, just I ain't seen it!

But your idea of "techtation" is accurate I am sure. I myself, flying back into a major UK airport several years ago heard a remarkable argument on the App frequency between the Radar Controller and a GA Aircraft who was about to infringe CAS which ended in an almost "shouting match" with the Pilot virtually yelling "Well, my GPS says I'm going to miss your Zone!!!" which was followed by the Controller retort in a similarly agitated voice of "Well, my Radar says you are just about to fly straight into my Zone and my Radar has been here a lot longer than your GPS!". I thought it had suddenly started to rain heavily - until I realised the sudden moisture-related lack of forward visibility was due to the tears of laughter flooding my eyes!!! Fortunately I calmed down enough to land shortly after listening in to their scrap! I recall the GA pilot eventually took the hint and, with some guidance from App, re-routed round the Zone!!!

Anyway, just some "history" there! Sorry not much else of use! Cheers, H 'n' H

Pilot DAR
20th Feb 2020, 17:48
Pilot virtually yelling "Well, my GPS says I'm going to miss your Zone!!!"

This video was shown to us during police marine training many years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WMSxV6lMs

Just to remind us not to get too cocky, no matter how important we think we are!

Jan Olieslagers
20th Feb 2020, 18:12
the GA pilot eventually took the hint and, with some guidance from App, re-routed round the Zone

Yes, sure. It all depends on selecting the right App on your I-thingy, and everything will be ok.

Hot 'n' High
21st Feb 2020, 16:47
Yes, sure. It all depends on selecting the right App on your I-thingy, and everything will be ok.

Lol! By "App" I mean "ATC Approach Service" as you probably realised ... but, actually, nail, head of, well hit JO! In the case I mentioned, it was a rather dischuffed ATCO sat in the App Controllers position who provided the suggestions as to "where they should go"! He was quite polite and helpful about it all, once they'd taken the hint that he was, in their eyes, "probably right after all"!

Continuing your thought about Apps, even tapping the right stuff into the right App (not the ATC Approach Service variety) on your I-thingy! And then checking what your App is telling you to do is actually what you want to do/are legally able to do! A340, PA-28 .. makes no difference .. apart from the size of the potential bang!

And PD, I'd forgotten that USN clip. I've often wondered if that was a true tale, or at least, what prompted it. Don't think the RN have done quite that ... but they have found, on several occasions, submerged rocks/sea mounts can be a tad unforgiving! :uhoh:

Thinks - quite enough "Apps" for one post! ;) H 'n' H