PDA

View Full Version : Women In Combat

SASless
18th Feb 2020, 12:17
Being an old Git....I recall when the first Woman to enter Flight Training for the US Army....and have kept an eye on how the US Army changed over the years (other branches as well).

I mentored a couple of young female Warrant Officer Pilots when they reached out for advice and support.

When they deployed to Afghanistan....I kept them close to my Heart much like a "Father" would do....and worried about their returning home safe.

As there is a special bond between Aviators especially that of US Army Warrant Officers....old Gits tend to call them "Little Sister" but include them in that "brotherhood".

In Somaiia, during the first days of the UN Contract that involved CHC and Bristow....I got to see how a bunch of female Soldiers reacted to a fierce firefight just outside the perimeter of the Mogadishu Airport.

Every one I passed was either advancing to the gunfire or had taken up hasty defensive positions with their Rifles at the ready.....exactly as I would have expected of any Soldier.

The linked article identifies a few of these young Warriors.

I especially liked the account of Sgt. Hester....who received the Silver Star for her direct combat with armed Insurgents.

We all can be proud of the service of so many of these Woman who serve alongside of us.

https://taskandpurpose.com/6-women-who-fought-in-direct-combat-in-iraq-and-afghanistan

Union Jack
18th Feb 2020, 14:52
Being an old Git....I recall when the first Woman to enter Flight Training for the US Army....and have kept an eye on how the US Army changed over the years (other branches as well).

I mentored a couple of young female Warrant Officer Pilots when they reached out for advice and support.

When they deployed to Afghanistan....I kept them close to my Heart much like a "Father" would do....and worried about their returning home safe.

As there is a special bond between Aviators especially that of US Army Warrant Officers....old Gits tend to call them "Little Sister" but include them in that "brotherhood".

In Somaiia, during the first days of the UN Contract that involved CHC and Bristow....I got to see how a bunch of female Soldiers reacted to a fierce firefight just outside the perimeter of the Mogadishu Airport.

Every one I passed was either advancing to the gunfire or had taken up hasty defensive positions with their Rifles at the ready.....exactly as I would have expected of any Soldier.

The linked article identifies a few of these young Warriors.

I especially liked the account of Sgt. Hester....who received the Silver Star for her direct combat with armed Insurgents.

We all can be proud of the service of so many of these Woman who serve alongside of us.

https://taskandpurpose.com/6-women-who-fought-in-direct-combat-in-iraq-and-afghanistan
Those of us who are serving, or have served, will have noted a key word.:hmm:

Jack

racedo
18th Feb 2020, 19:09

Boyfriend of a US based friend who had spent lots of time in Fort Bragg but then a reservist opinioned post 9/11,
"I don't care what someone does with their body parts on leave, I care less what their body parts are, when in a foxhole and stuff going to f***, I need to know person has my and units back, as we have theirs. I don't care if they are called Lesley/Leslie, Francis/Frances, Jose/Josie, hell would even have a boy called Sue. I need to know the crap we all went through to get us in that foxhole was the same because then we then know what dumb f***s we all are and live or die we chose to be there."

If someone wants to serve knowing full well what they are getting into then let them serve.

SASless
18th Feb 2020, 19:54
War is an ugly thing....if you have ever been involved in the business end of one. you know too well what it is like to lose a friend, a comrade, a crewman.....or just a member of your unit that you know casually.

I did not know this young Lady who was the Commander of an Air Cavalry unit.....her Radio Call Sign was "Dark Horse 6".

In my days I flew in the same area as the Dark Horse and received gun cover from them on occasions....long before Afghanistan and Iraq.

When the news reports announced the loss of this young woman....it broke my Heart.

One of my toughest days was consoling a friend who had just sent his Daughter off to Iraq.

We grew up accepting our Sons would serve in the Military and perhaps have to fight somewhere.

My friend was prepared for that....but when it turned out it was his Daughter that was going.....that rocked his World completely.

https://www.travismanion.org/fallen-heroes/capt-kimberly-hampton-us-army/

The Royal Navy honored one of its own for Gallantry not so long ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231434/Second-female-soldier-given-Military-Cross-tending-injured-soldier-heavy-Taliban-fire.html

The Oberon
19th Feb 2020, 08:21
Well, this lady has just been awarded her maroon beret.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018547/First-woman-pass-brutal-Paratroopers-course-handed-maroon-beret.html

gijoe
19th Feb 2020, 18:10
Well, this lady has just been awarded her maroon beret.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018547/First-woman-pass-brutal-Paratroopers-course-handed-maroon-beret.html

...and she did it well. Good all round egg is Rosie - and this is from working with her.👍

Old-Duffer
21st Feb 2020, 19:31
About this time of year I am reminded of Major Marie Rossi, whose CH47 hit a unlit communications mast in Kuwait in 1991.

She was interviewed in a clip which was shown on British TV shortly before her death.

I don't remember precisely but I think she was married to a warrant officer and might have been a US Army reservist

Old Duffer

Tankertrashnav
24th Feb 2020, 23:55
Over 800000 Soviet women served in WW II ...

Including the famous "night witches" of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

BEagle
25th Feb 2020, 06:32
Including the famous "night witches" of course.

When Gorbachev met Thatcher at Brize in Dec '87, I was involved in hosting one of the visiting Il62 crews and ensuring that their requirements were met. The passengers on 'my' aircraft were KGB security personnel, who were whisked off in a bus to sample the decadent capitalist life style of a meal in Gateway House, whilst we had coffee and excellent Russian chocolates served by very pleasant young ladies, over whom their supervisor kept a motherly eye. She seemed a bit Rosa Klebb at first, but after we thanked her and said how nice the coffee was, her face lit up with smiles and she morphed into everyone's favourite prep school matron!

For the leg from Brize to the US, the Americans had insisted that a Russian speaking USAF navigator would be on board, so rather an attractive young lady duly appeared and made her way to the flight deck to introduce herself. The crew seemed surprised that the navigator was a lady and chattered away in animated sounds of obvious Russian approval.

Turning to Yuri, the chap with whom I was working, I asked why they were so surprised. "Surely you have female aircrew in the Soviet air force?", I asked him, "your brave 'night witches' were very famous in the war against Nazi Germany"

"Yes, we do have women", Yuri replied with a grin, "....but, aahh, not very many like her!"

Tankertrashnav
25th Feb 2020, 23:37
Great story BEagle. What did you think of the IL 62 compared with the VC10? I assume you had a chance to look around, did you actually get to fly on the trip?

wondering
26th Feb 2020, 13:46
I reckon, looks is in the eye of the beholder e.g. Soviet sniper Roza Shanina https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roza_Shanina

One cannot grasp the madness which ended so many lives prematurely.

KG86
26th Feb 2020, 21:00
Great story BEagle. What did you think of the IL 62 compared with the VC10? I assume you had a chance to look around, did you actually get to fly on the trip?

On my way to Hong Kong in a VC10, we parked in Colombo right next to a IL62. Just looking out of the window, I gained the impression that the Russian designers had rushed through a copy of the VC10. The wing looked very simple (simple flaps and no noticeable slats), and they hadn't sorted out the C of G, as it had a long, simple 'tail wheel' deployed, I guess, for taxy and parking.

Old-Duffer
1st Mar 2020, 11:01
In UK a book called: "Women on the Front Line" by Kathleen Sherit has just been published. It tracks the trials and tribulations of females in the armed forces in the last 100 years and slow progress to acceptance 'on the front line'.

This book is a work of considerable moment and is not 'bleeding heart' nonsense. It is thoroughly researched, supported by much official references, interviews and bibliography.

Whilst it is about the UK forces, there are occasional passing comments about other nations and it is also written to be very readable.and I recommend it as a work of some historical significance.

Old Duffer

radar101
2nd Mar 2020, 06:53
This book is a work of considerable moment and is not 'bleeding heart' nonsense. It is thoroughly researched, supported by much official references, interviews and bibliography.

I'm not surprised - I would expect nothing less from her. Kath was always a sharp cookie. We were Flt Lts together - she ended up well above me in rank.

ORAC
16th Nov 2022, 15:53
https://twitter.com/tdf_ua/status/1592876342940684288?s=61&t=8AFUFxaFZfmOP9P4Tuvm1Q

"You are doomed, aggressor,
As the Witch presaged you"

Meet a junior sergeant callsign "Witch" from the 241 Kyiv TDF Brigade. During the defense of Bakhmut, the platoon under her leadership repulsed six enemy infantry attacks in just one night.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/923x1280/image_cf8a8eb7451d6de8ca19767422d6ce2136b76625.jpeg
​​​​​​​