PDA

View Full Version : is PBN required ?

Pinuz89
12th Feb 2020, 12:08
Good afternoon folks.

I have a question related to the PBN privileges applicability.

I knew that in order to fly an RNAV approach, the famous PBN stamp must be endorsed on the licence.
But also, from my (probably wrong) memory, I remember that in order to fly SID / STAR / Routes, no particular requirements are requested, if the approach is simply an ILS (for instance).

I had a discussion regarding this topic with one of my instructors, who claims that without a PBN in my licence I would not be able to fly even a SID, unless using conventional navigation aids.

I also know that PBN will be mandatory after the 25th August 2020, and I'm willing to attend it, of course before that date, but actually I still don't have, because I didn't do any of these appraches during my IR skill test.
Anyway I have a "type specific" IR on the Airbus A320 (A320 / IR), and of course during the type rating course I flew RNAV sids and STARs and Routes.
Now I'm about to start the Line Training, and this "debating" is still "ongoing".
I agree that I wouldn't be able to fly RNAV, RNP, GNSS approaches, and I will leave the seat to the safety pilot, if any. But would I be able to fly in the Terminal Area and in the cruise without a PBN today ?

I aprreciate any suggestion
Thanks