PDA

View Full Version : If I receive my class 2 medical in HK, can i use it for PPL training in the UK?

torque400lbs
11th Feb 2020, 13:06
Does the UK recognize the HK class 2 medical certificate? I am thinking about getting a PPL in the UK but I would like to pass the class 2 medical first before spending thousands of dollars in training. I have done trial lessons before and I enjoyed it. Do flying schools in the UK accept class 2 medical certificate from HK? Thank you.

anxiao
11th Feb 2020, 16:42
I may be wrong but it would be unlikely that the UK would accept a HK medical for a UK PPL. However in Hong Kong are several doctors who are authorised to carry out a UK pilot medical for the UK CAA.

The only catch is that for your INITIAL medical it may have to be done in the UK. Try the UKCAA website under Medical and see if you can find the correct and full answer there.

torque400lbs
11th Feb 2020, 17:02
I found this from the website:
Only one EU medical certificate can be held at a time and you can only apply for a licence from the aviation authority in the state that holds your medical records.
h ttps:// www.caa. co.ukGeneral-aviation/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/Apply-for-a-Class-2-medical-certificate/
So I guess only medical from UK works. Hmm

LapsedPPL
11th Feb 2020, 18:08
It's a few years since I had a UK medical for PPL and would guess that you need the UK CAA Medical Certificate for a UK PPL. However, if you're under 40 and in reasonable health it's not that onerous and the cost is slight compared with the total cost of training. There's even a 'self-certification' route now which negates the requirement for a medical examination that applies in certain circumstances. The flight school you intent going to should be able to advise.

flash8
11th Feb 2020, 19:47
The CAA really needs an overhaul on their onerous and convoluted procedures, esp. for professional licences.

Whilst I haven't held a licence for some time (and things may have changed) I recall in the early '00's obtaining my (FAA) first class medical for minimum cost and less than an hour of my time in central London with a friendly elderly doctor.

When applying for a (then CAA) 1st Class later... as I understood it I would have failed anyway (-5.5 dioptres unaided)... so I never bothered.

Edmund Spencer
12th Feb 2020, 02:36
Many of the Avmed doctors in Hong Kong will do a British CAA/EASA class 2 medical for you.
I did mine in Hong Kong last year.

kwaiyai
12th Feb 2020, 16:21
Hi torque,

Check your PM's and yes you can do your initial UK Class 2 in HK,
Class 1 initial only at a UK AEMC currently,

Cheers.

anxiao
12th Feb 2020, 18:57
Kwaiyai thank you for straightening out my confusion over the initial PPL in HK.

And for the OPs benefit, the UK CAA website has a list of the HK AVMED doctors that are authorised to carry out UK CAA licences. There are several on the list.