PDA

View Full Version : FAA Officer exchanges

BVRAAM
6th Feb 2020, 21:54
Hi folks,

I have become aware of various Officer exchange programmes for RAF FJ Aircrew - B-2, F-15E, F-22, F/A-18 (USN, Australia), F-16 (various countries), etc. etc.
However, I haven't found so much information on FAA exchange opportunities. Are the same opportunities available for RN aircrew, in particular the F-22 and Strike Eagle, or is it different?

Thanks.

Pontius
6th Feb 2020, 22:06
The examples you used (if they exist) would normally be RAF exchanges. The RN exchanges have, historically, been with the USN & USMC (F14, F18, AV8B). No doubt the F35B will be another exchange in the future......same jet as home, just more sunny but more rule-bound.

chopper2004
6th Feb 2020, 23:25
Hi folks,

I have become aware of various Officer exchange programmes for RAF FJ Aircrew - B-2, F-15E, F-22, F/A-18 (USN, Australia), F-16 (various countries), etc. etc.
However, I haven't found so much information on FAA exchange opportunities. Are the same opportunities available for RN aircrew, in particular the F-22 and Strike Eagle, or is it different?

Thanks.

Before it was retired, FAA Observers could go to North Island on exchange with likes of VS-3@ ‘Shamrocks’ and fly in the Lockheed S-3B Viking . Also back in the day, when had the F-4K and ShAR, couple of pilots went on exchange to fly even the F-14A Tomcat. There is one ShAR pilot who lost his life , crashed lifting off ski ramp. Few yeses earlier in late 70s he flew F-14 on exchange.

Observers from the Bagger units fly exchange with E-2C Hawkeye units ...

I am sure pilots fly exchange with SH-60 now Mh-60R squadrons, they also used to fly SH-2 Seasprite on exchange when it was in service.

also

JFH CO Ade Orchard flew variety of stuff at China Lake with VX-9 such as AV-8B Harrier II Plus, AH-1W Super Cobra and evening stick time in F/A-18C.

Also the most senior Royal Marines Sea Harrier pilot who was then a Ltc went on exchange to US Navy Super Horent Squadron and instructed at Oceana a few years back. Think it was part of the gearing up to get next generation FAA aircrew back to fixed fast jet flying in anticipation of the F-35B.

Fleet Air Arm Commando Helicopter Force (you count former 3 Brigade Air Squadron ) have and fly over the last five decades with the USMC

Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight
Rockwell OV-10A Bronco
Bell UH-1E/UH-1N/UH-1Y
Bell AH-1J/AH-1W/AH-1Z
Bell-Boeing MV-22B

Plus there was the Atlantic Bandit Helicopters 3 week air to air exchange with MAWTS-1 at McAS Yuma.

Believe FAA pilots also go exchange flying with French such as Lynx and of course with the fixed wing carrier ops, some went exchange to fly Super Entard before retirement and maybe Rafale, but I could be wrong.

BVRAAM
6th Feb 2020, 23:40
The examples you used (if they exist) would normally be RAF exchanges. The RN exchanges have, historically, been with the USN & USMC (F14, F18, AV8B). No doubt the F35B will be another exchange in the future......same jet as home, just more sunny but more rule-bound.

Basically then, very limited opportunities to work overseas with the RN - for FJ pilots at least.

That's unfortunate.

Davef68
7th Feb 2020, 08:24
I think opportunnities may be more limited than over the last 10 years as the UK F-35 force spools up, as several RN officers spent time with USN/USMC post-2010 to maintain knowledge of current ops (Including the RM officer mentioned above, and 'Wings' on HMS Queen Elizabeth), including multiple tours Stateside in some cases. BUt equally, I'd imagine the 'routine' exchanges would continue

Dominator2
7th Feb 2020, 09:35
BVRAAM,

Since they are Exchange Postings the FAA would have to offer something over here. Since then FAA has reduced its Fast Jet presence in the past decade there is not much to "Exchange"

The FAA was lucky enough to secure a number of F18 assignments with the USN over the past 8-10 years to at least "keep them afloat" with pilots and experience!

Timelord
7th Feb 2020, 12:52
BVRAAM,

if if you are thinking about opportunities for yourself, I would not let it influence your choices. There would be innumerable obstacles to overcome between now and a possible future FJ exchange slot. After selection, training, streaming, advanced training, OCU, first tour, probably selection for QWI, pass QWI course you might possibly be considered for an exchange tour.

Take one step at a time.

TL

BVRAAM
7th Feb 2020, 18:47
BVRAAM,

if if you are thinking about opportunities for yourself, I would not let it influence your choices. There would be innumerable obstacles to overcome between now and a possible future FJ exchange slot. After selection, training, streaming, advanced training, OCU, first tour, probably selection for QWI, pass QWI course you might possibly be considered for an exchange tour.

Take one step at a time.

TL

Oh, absolutely... but I can't help looking towards the future as well.

It's an exciting prospect and it motivates me further.

BVRAAM
8th Feb 2020, 00:11
Thanks Bomber.
I'd love to fly the F-22 or F-15. I'm probably too young for the C model, they'll most likely be phased out rather quickly once the X enters service. The F-22 seems to be a proper fighter pilot's aircraft, everyone I've spoken to who has flown it, has nothing bad to say about it. It's gorgeous as well.
Were you in the RAF or RN? Your China Lake time sounds very interesting - I'd love to know a bit more if you can?

switch_on_lofty
8th Feb 2020, 02:04
Nothing like a bit of ambition!

typerated
8th Feb 2020, 04:27
Don't encourage him - he is fake!

Pontius
10th Feb 2020, 05:13
BVRAAM,

Ambition is one thing but you have to be realistic as well. The FAA will never go and fly the F15 or F22. Why would they?

An FAA F35 pilot MAY go and fly F35s with the USMC as the two primary roles are different and, therefore, there is something to be gained by the exchange of the two pilots. Perhaps an FAA F35 pilot MAY go and fly the F18 with the USN as that has traditionally been a QFI exchange. FAA to USAF.......why?

No matter how much it enthuses you, an FAA pilot flying the F22 is pretty delusional.

If you need more motivation than the prospect of operating an F35 from one of the new carriers then maybe you need to look at different jobs.

Just This Once...
10th Feb 2020, 06:24
Don't encourage him - he is fake!

Was beginning to wonder. In 2018 he claimed to be in his mid-20s as a mature student still trying to gain the minimum qualifications for officer selection, whilst pushing the maximum age limit for entry. Now he is debating which military and fast jet type he would like to fly on exchange from either the FAA or RAF, without having joined either.

I hope he is fake, rather than wildly delusional.

downsizer
10th Feb 2020, 06:27
Was beginning to wonder. In 2018 he claimed to be in his mid-20s as a mature student still trying to gain the minimum qualifications for officer selection, whilst pushing the maximum age limit for entry. Now he is debating which military and fast jet type he would like to fly on exchange from either the FAA or RAF, without having joined either.

I hope he is fake, rather than wildly delusional.

I can't wait for him to answer....

typerated
10th Feb 2020, 07:24

I think he usually reinvents himself - was Typhoon 93 I think and Glider 90?

Maybe others?

kimono1950
12th Feb 2020, 06:29
Why the FAA did not exchange with the French Navy, even when the RN used the Catobar ?

AirCon5
25th Apr 2020, 21:45
Imagine thinking you'll pass the aptitude tests competitively when you are still trying to get your maths up to the minimum standard...

Martin the Martian
25th Apr 2020, 23:00
I recall 771 Squadron had a regular slot for a USCG pilot for many years, with a FAA pilot going the other direction. The HH-65 used in the Bond film Licence to Kill was flown by a FAA pilot. In the very quick shots of him he is wearing a Union Jack patch on his sleeve.

Senior Pilot
26th Apr 2020, 01:47

He won't be: he has been removed from Mil Forum for a while now. To think that this was an earlier post of his only a year and a half ago :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

I am currently in full time education as a mature student, to achieve the minimum standard of academic qualifications required to be eligible to apply to be an RAF Officer.
I am interested in the Pilot branch, fast-jet flying has always been my dream since I was a little boy (and particularly Air Defence), however sadly the realities of life meant I could not apply when I was 18, hence why I am now quite late.
As I am close to the upper age bracket in my mid-20's, it's not lost on me that the boat for Pilot direct entry may have sailed by the time I make it to OASC and I am fully aware of this, however I will still be eligible for the Weapon Systems Officer or Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Pilot branches, and I most certainly would like to be commissioned aircrew on the front-line.

My questions are: If there is still a Pilot shortage in the RAF, what is the likelihood that Cranwell will offer me a commission in the Pilot branch if I am a year or two over the limit, but I have a great interview, impress the Officers at the interviews and I pass all of the fitness and medical tests?

If commissioned in to the WSO or RPAS-P branches, what is the likelihood of being able to re-train to the Pilot branch after a good first tour? I focus on RPAS-P especially as I understand that all of those in the RPAS Pilot branch must complete Elementary Flying Training on the Grob 120TP Prefect, to earn their wings to move to the MQ-9A (or later MQ-9B) OCU. Logically, a good EFT course could be the foundation blocks for getting sent to Valley at a later date for BFJT on the Texan and so on.

Finally, I understand the Armed Forces in general are still in a bit of a state regarding manning, but how long realistically could one expect to wait from the initial application, to the AFCO interviews and then OASC interviews? I have heard from anything between 9-12 months for the whole process, but I'd just like to make sure.

I would really like to serve, and if the truth be told, I'm at the stage in my life where I'd happily fly anything, as long as I could wear the brevet. Of course I'll keep working hard and fighting for a jet slot, but I really just want to fly aeroplanes in the military, and as long as I am an operator involved with the core mission, I reckon I'd be happy. With that said, if I can avoid it, I'd rather not spend a whole 12-20 year career just flying the MQ-9. There are mixed views on it from the guys I've spoken to - the consensus I am seeing is it provides a decent lifestyle, especially if you have children, doesn't take you away for months at a time (LRE dets aside...) but is incredibly boring to fly. I want to be a pilot because I love being in the air, and something that's extremely boring might not hold my interest for the long term.

Thanks in advance for your help, ladies and gents.

But the discussion about exchange postings is an interesting one so the thread has remained open. Just don't bother to comment on the OP, please :ok:

Union Jack
26th Apr 2020, 17:37
He won't be: he has been removed from Mil Forum for a while now. To think that this was an earlier post of his only a year and a half ago :rolleyes:

But the discussion about exchange postings is an interesting one so the thread has remained open. Just don't bother to comment on the OP, please :ok:
Here's something to be going on with, albeit not bang up to date, nor relating to a full length formal exchange https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2014/march/03/140303-rn-french

Jack

chopper2004
27th Apr 2020, 07:01
I recall 771 Squadron had a regular slot for a USCG pilot for many years, with a FAA pilot going the other direction. The HH-65 used in the Bond film Licence to Kill was flown by a FAA pilot. In the very quick shots of him he is wearing a Union Jack patch on his sleeve.

771 did exchange with USCG since 60s maybe earlier for sure and so did the RAF SAR Community, There was also an RAF exchange pilot in 88-9/91 at CGAS Miami.

Here are stills from License To Kill opening scene and the a/c is wearing normal CGAS Miami patch. Also in the credits it thanks USCG pilot no Union Jack unless you on about the beardy co-pilot (then again the USCG did not prohibit till 88/89).

( Btw one tech flaw in that opening sequence is the HH-65A does not have a crew chief / Aviation Mechanic as well as the A/C and co-pilot).

cheers

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/c2e86ffd_b5d4_43ee_b871_7dceb701ed41_07aa7fb8ad0855f4215da40 e9375388ae8f86e8a.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x613/80bb468d_029d_4ff8_ab2f_adc390240615_b3b97b05d0f85ee6ba68ee4 818c5959e79a58ce6.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x548/46263353_4a16_4b4e_bbba_3d296bbf92d4_3fdb102577f8913684ebdea dbba9f34ae00bba83.jpeg

peterperfect
27th Apr 2020, 21:33
771 did exchange with USCG since 60s maybe earlier for sure and so did the RAF SAR Community, There was also an RAF exchange pilot in 88-9/91 at CGAS Miami.

Here are stills from License To Kill opening scene and the a/c is wearing normal CGAS Miami patch. Also in the credits it thanks USCG pilot no Union Jack unless you on about the beardy co-pilot (then again the USCG did not prohibit till 88/89).

( Btw one tech flaw in that opening sequence is the HH-65A does not have a crew chief / Aviation Mechanic as well as the A/C and co-pilot).

cheers

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/c2e86ffd_b5d4_43ee_b871_7dceb701ed41_07aa7fb8ad0855f4215da40 e9375388ae8f86e8a.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x613/80bb468d_029d_4ff8_ab2f_adc390240615_b3b97b05d0f85ee6ba68ee4 818c5959e79a58ce6.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x548/46263353_4a16_4b4e_bbba_3d296bbf92d4_3fdb102577f8913684ebdea dbba9f34ae00bba83.jpeg
Very skilful doing it on one engine as well !

chopper2004
17th Apr 2022, 17:56

Honestly thought with the demise of mil SAR here w.r.t SK retirement, that the exchange with the Coasties be null and void. However came across this on the USCG Instagram page so now the program with HITROn TEN.

cheers

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/443x960/623b8503_ea2b_48b4_bba9_b1de2854e98a_d55571658d085423405a3fd db47a58695de5d037.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/443x960/a58d37b7_4145_47c9_b606_6204d18ef7a7_a9414ec2756df203a9f00e0 ca48aceb03fcea1c5.jpeg

DuckDodgers
17th Apr 2022, 19:00
Before it was retired, FAA Observers could go to North Island on exchange with likes of VS-3@ ‘Shamrocks’ and fly in the Lockheed S-3B Viking . Also back in the day, when had the F-4K and ShAR, couple of pilots went on exchange to fly even the F-14A Tomcat. There is one ShAR pilot who lost his life , crashed lifting off ski ramp. Few yeses earlier in late 70s he flew F-14 on exchange.

Observers from the Bagger units fly exchange with E-2C Hawkeye units ...

I am sure pilots fly exchange with SH-60 now Mh-60R squadrons, they also used to fly SH-2 Seasprite on exchange when it was in service.

also

JFH CO Ade Orchard flew variety of stuff at China Lake with VX-9 such as AV-8B Harrier II Plus, AH-1W Super Cobra and evening stick time in F/A-18C.

Also the most senior Royal Marines Sea Harrier pilot who was then a Ltc went on exchange to US Navy Super Horent Squadron and instructed at Oceana a few years back. Think it was part of the gearing up to get next generation FAA aircrew back to fixed fast jet flying in anticipation of the F-35B.

Fleet Air Arm Commando Helicopter Force (you count former 3 Brigade Air Squadron ) have and fly over the last five decades with the USMC

Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight
Rockwell OV-10A Bronco
Bell UH-1E/UH-1N/UH-1Y
Bell AH-1J/AH-1W/AH-1Z
Bell-Boeing MV-22B

Plus there was the Atlantic Bandit Helicopters 3 week air to air exchange with MAWTS-1 at McAS Yuma.

Believe FAA pilots also go exchange flying with French such as Lynx and of course with the fixed wing carrier ops, some went exchange to fly Super Entard before retirement and maybe Rafale, but I could be wrong.

There was also a very “interesting” US Coast Guard exchange down in Florida.