PDA

View Full Version : Australian Helicopter Pilots working in America on E3 Visa

bront
6th Feb 2020, 05:29
Hi all,

Are there any Australians working in the States as a helicopter pilot that did it on the E-3 Visa lately?

I have a company willing to sponsor me but looking for any info you can offer, like;
How difficult was it?
Did you use a lawyer?
If so, how much did it cost and would you recommend your lawyer?
How long did the process take?
What's the pay like?
Anyone change jobs and how difficult was that?
Any requirements to be below a certain age?
Anything else you can think of?

I'm a 9000 hour ATPL with lots of firefighting and vertical ref long line experience. I'm also rated on the Blackhawk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. PM me or stick it on here, I'm probably not the only one interested in the answers.

Cheers

Bront

Autonomous Collectiv
6th Feb 2020, 06:05
Talk to Havick he can put you straight on the process, not sure if you will get any traction on the helicopter side though as I don’t think there are any operators signed up.
However, you can slide in as a fixed winger if you have that and some operators are offering good terms.

Mike Hardy
6th Feb 2020, 12:37
Bront,
Sent you a PM.

jimmymc
6th Feb 2020, 20:52
I'd be very interested to find out more about this too.

alj87
10th Feb 2020, 16:02
Interesting for Me too

muermel
10th Feb 2020, 20:08
Check out Canada too. Looks like Pilots are now on the "most wanted list" or whatever that list is called where jobs in demand are put on.

Immigrate to Canada as a Pilot ? Canada Needs Pilots (http://www.emigratecanada.com/immigrate-to-canada-as-a-pilot/)

Gordy
10th Feb 2020, 20:53
I only know of one Australian pilot working helicopters in the US and I believe he has an American wife.

I could be wrong.

havick
10th Feb 2020, 21:26
I came over on a green card, wife is American.

But the first company I worked for flying a 212 and 412 in 2016 also had an Aussie flying their 802 Air Tractor on an E3, and last season they used an Aussie on their 212 contract on an E3.

So it’s doable you just have to find the right companies that understand what the E3 visa is and the fact it’s not a sponsored visa at all.

For anyone thinking of doing the E3 thing, it’s not like the regional airlines where they will convert your license for you. You will have to be ready made with FAA tickets in hand for rotary jobs.

Good luck. How’s the time to be speaking with fire companies as it’s this time of year they’re locking down all their pilots for next season.

Gordy
10th Feb 2020, 22:42
I came over on a green card, wife is American.

Willits, CA 2 years ago doing the deathwatch on the Mendocino Complex....was that you? H-514, I was in H-57Z. Remember the Norcal WX briefings on video.......lol?

bront
11th Feb 2020, 00:55
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the feed back I've been getting. Definitely seems doable.

The TSA fingerprint thing is going to be a bitch though, as not too many places in the world to get it done and I'm not near any of them.

Cheers

Bront

alj87
11th Feb 2020, 14:05
Check out Canada too. Looks like Pilots are now on the "most wanted list" or whatever that list is called where jobs in demand are put on.

Immigrate to Canada as a Pilot ? Canada Needs Pilots (http://www.emigratecanada.com/immigrate-to-canada-as-a-pilot/)
this requires going through English language test

bront
12th Feb 2020, 02:10
As long as it doesn't require French then I'm good to go.

muermel
12th Feb 2020, 06:57
this requires going through English language test

Well, it is ONE of two official languages in the country so what's the problem with that? If you want to go to the US, your English should be of a certain standard too, it will be assessed in the visa interview at the embassy at least once. Also you want to work and live in that country so in my own interest I would want it to be as good as possible for job interviews, dealing with authorities, talking to landlords, buying a car..... LIVING there.

havick
13th Feb 2020, 06:43
Willits, CA 2 years ago doing the deathwatch on the Mendocino Complex....was that you? H-514, I was in H-57Z. Remember the Norcal WX briefings on video.......lol?

Wasn’t me, two years ago I was flying Embraers out of NY. I only did the 2016 season on a 412 and 212 then did the Airline thing at the end of that season.

Now back to flying rotary and jets full time. Might do some casual work this season though if I have time.