PDA

View Full Version : Best drive for long term back up.

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2020, 12:39
Given that Ransomware solutions suggest not leaving backup drives plugged in, I'm hesitant to fit an internal drive, however the 2 1/2 in there now I'm pushing way past its sel by date.

I thought a Winchester Red might do the job. Slow but statistically a safer drive. I'll then back up via USB to other devices.

For ages, my W10 PC has an SSD divided into C and D, the working drives are the little one divided into E and F. C of course is devoted to the OS.

IBMJunkman
4th Feb 2020, 13:25
3 years old but maybe useful.

https://youtu.be/m0GIAvOdARY

Text version: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2796-wd-blue-vs-black-vs-red-in-2017

seer557
4th Feb 2020, 17:28
I've been running two x 2Tb Western Digital Red drives in my NAS drive........all still going strong after seven years.

Thrust Augmentation
4th Feb 2020, 18:39
As suggested above, I would consider a decent WD drive.

I moved onto WD in the early 2000's when the Raptor was released & I've yet to have a WD drive fail prematurely, I can't say the same about most other contenders though (IBM/Hitachi, Maxtor, Seagate....). Never used Fijitsu / Toshiba so know nothing about them.

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2020, 18:41
We have block paving....

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2020, 23:24
:) It took me a moment.

For long term storage of family photos etc., Red seems a good option. I suppose the question is, being designed for RAID etc., is there any reason why one should not use it in an ordinary PC?.

Saab Dastard
5th Feb 2020, 18:54
Cost & warranty.
Red doesn't have a significant performance advantage over Blue, but costs twice as much for the same capacity, plus a 3 year warranty rather than 2. If you aren't using a RAID 1 or 10 array but want a higher performance, note that the WD Black costs about the same as the Red, but has higher performance and a 5 rather than 3 year warranty. You pays your money...

SD

Loose rivets
5th Feb 2020, 21:11
That's a point. You'd think that their support-confidence indicator would be the warranty length.

Unixman
7th Feb 2020, 18:37
The Cloud .... Just hunt around for the best deal ....