PDA

View Full Version : What flying can be logged ?

double_barrel
4th Feb 2020, 04:56
I sat in the right seat of a Caravan the other day, I flew the aircraft under close instruction from the PIC, just like my early lessons in a C172. Would that be a valid logbook entry? ie can I count that as an hour of Pilot under instruction? I currently just have a PPL without turbine or IFR.

Thanks

Pontius
4th Feb 2020, 05:26
Was the other pilot an instructor? Was it a proper instructional flight? If not then you weren't under instruction.

Since (a) the aircraft does not require multi crew and (b) you are not type rated, nor class rated, you cannot claim P2 time.

You can put it in your logbook as 'other' but the time does not get added to any totals, doesn't count towards any of your revalidation requirements and is only really there as a diary entry for when you handled the controls of a Caravan under the supervision of the PIC.

double_barrel
4th Feb 2020, 05:31
Thanks.

The answers to your questions are no and no.

Damn! In a fit of enthusiasm I put it in my logbook and since it was the last entry on a page I added the time into the running totals and carried them over to the next page. Off to find the whiteout.

Duchess_Driver
4th Feb 2020, 07:28
Don’t whiteout!!!! A simple single line strike through with the correct entry written close by (above). Too much whiteout = “what are you trying to hide/change?”

Pilot DAR
4th Feb 2020, 12:39
If there is an error in your log, just strike it out, and make the correction, everyone makes mistakes, and they are easily forgiven if understood. Things written under whiteout are hard to understand.

You may not get to write some flying you do into your logbook, but that doesn't mean that that flying does not have value. You flew the plane, you learned a whole bunch of new stuff about bush type operation - excellent! You got the photos, and smile on your face. You will be a better pilot for this added experience. So you're better than your logbook indicates you should be, perfect! Hopefully you have lots of opportunity to fly aircraft for which you cannot log the time! It means your flying is diverse. That's better than only knowing the cockpit of one 172, and logging all of that time.

The other thing you can do is to make the entry for flying the Caravan, but not total in the time. There's no harm in recording flying that you have actually done, there's just some flying, for which you are not entitled to take credit for the time. The authorities who read your pilot log are not trying to catch you at anything, they would just like an accurate record of the flying experience you have, for which you are entitled to take credit for. They're also happy to see the experience you have for which you cannot take credit, as long as you aren't taking credit!

Whopity
4th Feb 2020, 22:44
You can log anything you like, its a personal logbook however; if it doesn't count as pilot time just write PAX or SNY in the Operating Capacity column.

S-Works
5th Feb 2020, 16:40
I have spent the last 2 days in the right seat of a Caravan and did not touch the controls once and logged all the time as PIC.

LTCTerry
5th Feb 2020, 18:59
The Caravan is an Airplane Single Engine Land under 12,500 pounds, so in the FAA-realm (Country, registration, and license not identified by the OP...) you could log the entire time you were sole manipulator of the controls as PIC...

rudestuff
5th Feb 2020, 19:05
I have spent the last 2 days in the right seat of a Caravan and did not touch the controls once and logged all the time as PIC.

You should probably elaborate on that before the OP gets the wrong end of the stick!

double_barrel
5th Feb 2020, 20:06
You should probably elaborate on that before the OP gets the wrong end of the stick!

Don't worry, the OP worked it out.