PDA

View Full Version : Boss Sacked for low flying?

oldmansquipper
1st Feb 2020, 22:12
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/vmfa-225-co-fired-for-making-low-level-pass-during-units-f-a-18d-sundown-ceremony/

could have flown under a bridge, I guess...

SASless
2nd Feb 2020, 01:42
The Golden Rule is simple....."One Aw Crap! wipes out a thousand Attaboys!".:ugh:

767__FO
2nd Feb 2020, 04:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1PYYcpeD8qQ&app=desktop

Wasn't that low.

megan
2nd Feb 2020, 05:51
I hope he got lower than that when he landed. Some one up the chain is having a lend, surely, what was the briefed fly past height, 45,000? Downwind circuit is flown at 600 feet.

farefield
2nd Feb 2020, 07:08
Seriously? For that?

ORAC
2nd Feb 2020, 07:27
He wasn’t even the PIC, he was the GIB......

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2020/01/30/commander-of-california-fighter-squadron-fired/

KiloB
2nd Feb 2020, 07:52
For some reason the old classic:
“infamy, infamy, everyone’s got it in-for-me” comes to mind.
There has to be more to this story than that.

Easy Street
2nd Feb 2020, 08:14
Seriously? For that?

The video does indeed show a ‘pretty tame’ flypast but if the authorisation was only for an ‘exceptionally tame’ flypast then the crew is going to be in trouble, whoever they are. It’s a question of discipline and orderly conduct, not safety, and that is a very difficult position for a subordinate commander to wind up in (whether pilot or WSO is, in this situation, totally irrelevant). The time to challenge overly-restrictive parameters is before a sortie, not during or after.

That said, I do lament the attitude to flypasts of a generation of senior commanders who would routinely have given ‘spirited’ performances in their squadron flying days. I am not suggesting carte blanche be given to unsafe acts, but there is nothing unsafe about flying over one’s own airfield at heights and speeds which would be perfectly acceptable on a weapons range or in a low flying training area.

But, sadly, I also recognise that there is a question of trust. If crews could be trusted to stick to their authorisations then maybe senior commanders might take a bit more risk in setting parameters...

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2020, 08:34
I get dizzy if I fly that high.....

weemonkey
2nd Feb 2020, 09:05
For some reason the old classic:
“infamy, infamy, everyone’s got it in-for-me” comes to mind.
There has to be more to this story than that.

I concur in full.

charliegolf
2nd Feb 2020, 09:16
Was he authed? Was it the old, 'Never-ask-a-question-if-you-won't-like-the-answer' sitch, where he was clearly told not to do something and did it anyway?

CG

Edit: missed EasyStreet's comment.

fdr
2nd Feb 2020, 12:45
Seriously? For that?

Concur. There has to be another video somewhere, involving a farm Animal. That doesn't count as low flying even under the FARs unless there is some magic mirror involved.

That is just embarrassing.

MFC_Fly
2nd Feb 2020, 14:51
I thought he was sacked for low flying...

I was expecting something more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEgp_tGDw4

Or this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpq4Tu2NnrQ

ORAC
2nd Feb 2020, 15:04
https://youtu.be/JKME4EQDkIU

Two's in
2nd Feb 2020, 15:43
The CO being held to the very same standards and discipline that he is supposed to be ingraining within his unit seems to be an alien concept for some on here.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Feb 2020, 15:51
All very amusing until you kill someone, as in the C130 at South Cerney. As someone mentioned above - that was an "aww ****" - not an "attaboy!" moment.

teeteringhead
2nd Feb 2020, 16:31
I get dizzy if I fly that high.....Yup Shy - the nose bleeds above 1500 ft.

Arfur Dent
2nd Feb 2020, 17:14
That is the highest "low pass" I have ever seen.
He cannot have (seriously) been fired for that????????

Less Hair
2nd Feb 2020, 17:52
Did he boom someone?

Compass Call
2nd Feb 2020, 18:21
The jags in Oman considered it low flying when you dented the roof of a Toyota car!!!

oldmansquipper
2nd Feb 2020, 18:22
Thought it might provoke some interest 😁

I recall a farewell fly past at Rygge after a particularly successful Sqn exchange. A Jag four ship was briefed to overfly the area outside our hangar in trail. ‘The Boss’ chose to lead and briefed the minimum height for those who would follow (I.e. “no lower than me”)

I don't think they payed much attention. No 1 went over at a modest height, followed by the others stepping down a tad in sequence. Bill Langworthy was one of them and suffice it to say, as he passed below our view point at speed (yea yea, the words Jag and speed not often used together,) the vortex from his stb wingtip bent a halt sign post through 90 degrees. He wasn’t the last one either....

most impressive

The Banjo
2nd Feb 2020, 19:17
This is one of the past accidents that have helped create the current air of intolerance:

https://youtu.be/7-S_NM--evM

Have a read of the report.

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2020, 19:22
At Linton-on-Ouse, RAF BFTS graduation days used to be allowed a traditional "ring around the operational squadrons in UK and get what you can get to fly by" airshow.

Not surprisingly, these began to get a bit extreme as pilots all tried to outdo the previous one in whatever way they could.

During my time there in the late 1970s, the Chief Instructor, a Wing Commander, had his office on the first floor at the front of the hangar facing ATC, looking out over the airfield. On the morning of a graduation, a Buccaneer flew past his window at such a low altitude, at almost 90 degrees AOB as it pulled around the corner of the hangar, all the Wingco saw was the tops of the crew's helmets. The left wingtip must have been almost scraping the peri track! The CI's PA (Sgt Gunn?) was just bringing in a tray of coffees and he said he was so surprised by the sight and noise of the Bucc that he almost threw the lot over the CI.

Unofficial graduation flybys were banned from that moment; in reflection probably a very good thing!

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2020, 19:25
This is one of the past accidents that have helped create the current air of intolerance:

I think many of us have already read that. The pilot was a disgrace.

Mil-26Man
2nd Feb 2020, 20:23
that was an "aww ****" - not an "attaboy!" moment.

Can you provide the precise time in the video where the 'aww ****' moment occurs, because I keep missing it everytime I watch it? Thanks.

golder
2nd Feb 2020, 22:55
It could even be an occ health issue. The flightplan alt and speed didn't need ear protection for the guests. Whatever the reason, someone took it seriously. It could be just not following the flight plan was enough.

flighthappens
2nd Feb 2020, 23:35
It could be just not following the flight plan was enough.

How can the boss be expected to pull up any flying discipline if he has been part of breaking an auth in front of a throng of people...

nonsense
3rd Feb 2020, 02:34

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-story-of-bud-holland-the-rogue-pilot-that-crashed-his-b-52-after-having-maneuvered-it-beyond-its-operational-limits-at-low-altitude/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash

Dominator2
3rd Feb 2020, 07:43
Has anyone got a copy of the video from Tommy's Flypast at Cranwell. It must rate as one of the most outrageous in recent times in front of ***Officers?
The worrying thing is that one is not too sure just how much "in control" he was?
Opinions anyone?

Imagegear
3rd Feb 2020, 09:52
That may be this one, pulled up a bit late :E

Hats blown off at 1:47

Phantoms at Cranwell

IG

Onceapilot
3rd Feb 2020, 10:13
Great post Imagegear. I estimate 80 feet above the reviewing base. Not incredibly low but, no doubt it was going to end badly in the context. Glad it didn't end worser (as RFK might have said):rolleyes:!

OAP

wub
3rd Feb 2020, 12:21
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1706x1277/ed41c874_05a6_4d4f_9fa9_6b343871e881_20b961102af960446cabe2d 315387c8a4837ea76.jpeg
How about this at Swinderby

MPN11
3rd Feb 2020, 13:30
Ah, what did we do before Photoshop was invented? 😋

3rd Feb 2020, 14:25
Shy Torque - the graduation flypasts were still going strong (and very low) when I went through Linton in 82/83 - and the 'ring round' was still happening, even to include a pair of A 10s who made a great airfield attack - at Dishforth while talking to Linton tower:)

The Buccs were the real bad boys - between the hangars at warp speed in a hard turn....

Timelord
3rd Feb 2020, 15:58
That Swinderby Vulcan photo may be authentic. There certainly WAS a Vulcan flypast at a Swinderby passing out parade that created a good deal of, er, comment!

wub
3rd Feb 2020, 16:00
I’m sure it is authentic, there is another from a slightly different angle

Audax
3rd Feb 2020, 16:01
Funniest Bucc flypast at Linton in the 70s. After the first pass, whilst turning for another go, front seater decided to open the bomb bay, an anguished NO from the back was too late. There was a ‘war bag’ loose in the bay which parted company from Backburn’s finest. We stopped flying, bussed all the stude’s out who recovered each and every page and mollified a tramp asleep in a hedge who nearly got clobbered. A thank you barrel from the crew was much appreciated.

Whilst sitting in the tower as Duty Instructor, I noticed 4 big birds to the west, rapidly getting bigger. At approx 1 mile from the field, a 4 ship of Jaguars abruptly broke north. On an impulse I called the DI at Leeming and yes, they did have a grad day. A few minutes later we got the message that the Jags said ‘Very Sorry’

ShyTorque
3rd Feb 2020, 16:31
That may be this one, pulled up a bit late :E

Hats blown off at 1:47

Phantoms at Cranwell (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3yV7pL1p24)

IG

I was shown that video during the flying supervisors’ course. Unfortunately, I think there’s a bit missing from the above version; the really exciting bit isn’t shown.

ShyTorque
3rd Feb 2020, 16:36
Shy Torque - the graduation flypasts were still going strong (and very low) when I went through Linton in 82/83 - and the 'ring round' was still happening, even to include a pair of A 10s who made a great airfield attack - at Dishforth while talking to Linton tower:)

The Buccs were the real bad boys - between the hangars at warp speed in a hard turn....

Yep, the Bucc I mentioned did just that. It went between the hangar and the ATC tower....but only just.

Must have got a new CI after that!

The Oberon
3rd Feb 2020, 17:12
I’m sure it is authentic, there is another from a slightly different angle

Agreed, if you look to the left of the photo, there are people who have spotted it, there is even a chap with his fingers in his ears in anticipation.

ZH875
3rd Feb 2020, 17:31
That Swinderby Vulcan photo may be authentic. There certainly WAS a Vulcan flypast at a Swinderby passing out parade that created a good deal of, er, comment!

Definetly authentic, as I have a copy of the photograph

Vortex Hoop
3rd Feb 2020, 17:48
At Linton-on-Ouse, RAF BFTS graduation days used to be allowed a traditional "ring around the operational squadrons in UK and get what you can get to fly by" airshow.

Not surprisingly, these began to get a bit extreme as pilots all tried to outdo the previous one in whatever way they could.

During my time there in the late 1970s, the Chief Instructor, a Wing Commander, had his office on the first floor at the front of the hangar facing ATC, looking out over the airfield. On the morning of a graduation, a Buccaneer flew past his window at such a low altitude, at almost 90 degrees AOB as it pulled around the corner of the hangar, all the Wingco saw was the tops of the crew's helmets. The left wingtip must have been almost scraping the peri track! The CI's PA (Sgt Gunn?) was just bringing in a tray of coffees and he said he was so surprised by the sight and noise of the Bucc that he almost threw the lot over the CI.

Unofficial graduation flybys were banned from that moment; in reflection probably a very good thing!

One of my course mates at Shawbs was ex-Tonka GR1 and he managed to get a couple of his mates to go very low with reheat plugged in over our grad. Shock waves like that produce a lovely feeling deep in the stomach!

MPN11
3rd Feb 2020, 17:53
Is it my imagination, or are the Americans seriously more robust than the RAF in such cases?

Are there similar RAF (or indeed RN/Army) cases that could be revealed? Or are the Americans just trying to keep a genie in the bottle?

Stretchwell
3rd Feb 2020, 17:59
I was on the parade square that day ! Memorable............ This is the sanitised video for sure.

Stretchwell
3rd Feb 2020, 18:00
I was shown that video during the flying supervisors’ course. Unfortunately, I think there’s a bit missing from the above version; the really exciting bit isn’t shown.

I was on the parade square that day ! Memorable............ This is the sanitised version of the video for sure.

wub
3rd Feb 2020, 18:08
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1212/66ba5e45_b4b3_4ad6_97ce_bf1223e9407a_2aab7ead8584a9b4acc2ec6 44aef0e49583c676e.jpeg
Here’s a different angle

Pontius Navigator
3rd Feb 2020, 19:57
Has anyone got a copy of the video from Tommy's Flypast at Cranwell. It must rate as one of the most outrageous in recent times in front of ***Officers?
The worrying thing is that one is not too sure just how much "in control" he was?
Opinions anyone?

OC Ops desig, as a student nav, was in the back and lost 6 months seniority.

Pauljw
3rd Feb 2020, 20:15
Not a display flight , but I remember reading about a headless tractor driver found in a field in the north York’s area in the 50s / 60s .
I think the aircraft involved was a jet provost .

Mal Drop
3rd Feb 2020, 21:18
I was on the parade square that day ! Memorable............ This is the sanitised version of the video for sure.

Spot the 'Mal Drop' competition.

The video definitely omits the really fun part of the flypast. Also, bear in mind that as the weather was pretty gusty that day, we had chin-straps on and there was still around a 20% hat loss.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/987x720/mal_20drop_zpshp1xtpei_c1aaa60c45604b211fe627f56d7888156a179 467.jpg

Pontius Navigator
3rd Feb 2020, 21:22
Not a display flight , but I remember reading about a headless tractor driver found in a field in the north York’s area in the 50s / 60s .
I think the aircraft involved was a jet provost .
Sounds a tall story.
T3, powered by the Viper 102, and this entered service with No. 2 FTS, located at RAF Syerston, during June 1959,
Suggests 1960s.

BEagle
4th Feb 2020, 07:51

Correct. The descending turn in wing rock around Whittle Hall isn't shown.

Wasn't 72' a.g.l. the assessed minimum height?

Dominator2
4th Feb 2020, 08:48
Of course, those lucky enough to have served at MPA will have witnessed a number of "flypasts".

Those in the know will be aware of Exercise Fiery Cross. Although there were set limitations on speed and MSD, they were rarely abided by. The competition between the fighter crews and the Rapier crews to prove who was "the most competent" was extremely important. On one of these exercises the OC was flying in the RCP with a young, and keen to impress, 1st tourist pilot. Unfortunately, over exuberance got the better. Full AB in the Tornado F3 at low level made it go very fast!! Overflight of the Fire Section at "about" 100 feet and at very high speed caused the roof to fail.

I believe that the OC may have received a stern talking to, as did the pilot, but no one lost their jobs over this unfortunate incident!!

charliegolf
4th Feb 2020, 08:57
Gives one a warm fuzzy to know our pilots can do things wrong much better than American pilots- respect!:D

C (Are we auth'd for this?) G

Pontius Navigator
4th Feb 2020, 13:28
C (Are we auth'd for this?) G

Heard that twice. Once illegally when the boss, on board but not the Captain gave verbal authorisation down to 100 feet. Had we gone in it would have been found to be unauthorised and pilot error.

Treble one
4th Feb 2020, 14:25
Anyone care to speculate on the height of the Swinderby Vulcan flyby? Looks awfully low to the untrained eye.

jmmoric
4th Feb 2020, 14:34
Once they get below tower height..... and you look down on the pilot.... they're low...

gzornenplatz
4th Feb 2020, 15:14
Nobody looks down on pilots.

sycamore
4th Feb 2020, 15:37
Lightning photo at Akronelli….?

Dominator2
4th Feb 2020, 15:52
F4 From the tower at AKR. Just another day on APC

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/403x302/19_apc_1980_d_535870b4de4eeba980fc923bee1595c96d7c8142.jpg
Operation BlockOff

Airbubba
4th Feb 2020, 18:00
A remembrance of the infamous U.S. Air Force Academy Thud flyby in 1968 from the Smithsonian's Air and Space magazine.

With a Loud KABOOM, an F-105 Upstaged Our Air Force GraduationNo one from the Cadet Class of 1968 will forget the day.https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/3jutXsaFxF7HHcPIftCO0J89eQU=/800x600/filters:no_upscale():focal(1580x1809:1581x1810)/https://public-media.si-cdn.com/filer/8a/19/8a197759-f89d-47a2-9aec-e2cba69b8afa/17c_dj2020_05f_as08_f105d_live.jpgThe Mach 2, 25-ton F-105 could create an enormous sonic boom. During the Vietnam War, the fighter-bomber flew dangerous missions and suffered heavy losses. (USAF)

By Darrel Whitcomb

Air & Space Magazine
December 2019

In May 1968, the Vietnam War was at its peak. Our nation’s newest service school, the Air Force Academy, where I was completing my third year of study, was only 14 years old at the time but already had many graduates in combat. To honor the Academy, the United States Air Force sent a decommissioned Republic F-105 Thunderchief—a “Thud,” in USAF language—to be placed on permanent display. A dedication ceremony was scheduled for May 31—the first day of graduation-week festivities for the class of 1968.

The academy’s superintendent, (then) Lieutenant General Thomas S. Moorman Jr. would speak, as would Major General George Simler, a former F-105 wing commander, and Donald Strait, an executive with Republic Aviation, which built the F-105. After their remarks, four Thuds from McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas would perform a fly-by. We occasionally saw individual aircraft fly over, but a formation flight would be a rare thing to witness.

When the appointed day arrived, the assembly crackled with anticipation. We were too busy craning our necks to see the Thuds to pay much attention to the speakers. The Master of Ceremonies got our attention, though, when he told us the flight was being led by Lieutenant Colonel James “Black Matt” Matthews, a veteran of dozens of F-105 combat missions.

We soon spotted the flight of four F-105s in a holding pattern off to the east. Then we saw them turn toward us and take up a diamond formation. We heard their J75 turbojets scream as they flew northward over Mitchell Hall, the air gardens, and Vandenberg Hall.

The F-105 is a beast of an aircraft, a fighter-bomber built for low altitude, high-speed operations. The four Thuds streaked by at what must have been 500 miles per hour. I’ve never forgotten the whistling sound that announced their passing. Though we were in formation, many cadets yelled and whistled at the passing jets, a breach of discipline our superiors were kind enough to overlook.

We expected the formation to recede into the eastern horizon, back to Kansas. But instead they turned south and took up trail spacing. They were lining up to make individual passes!

I could clearly see the lead aircraft turn north. This time though, I could not hear its engine. I noticed a weird quality of light in the air around the Thud. I didn’t know what that meant, but a cadet in the next rank, an aeronautical engineering major, obviously did. I heard him mutter “Oh, ****,” as he clapped his hands over his ears.

The lead aircraft silently streaked by. Then the air around us seemed to shimmer, and we heard and felt the KABOOOOOM as the shock wave swept over us. The F-105 had broken the sound barrier just before passing over our heads.

As the shock wore off, a few cadets began to clap and cheer, but that festive sound was quickly silenced by the Ka-pow! Ka-pow! Ka-pow!  of windows shattering in Vandenberg Hall.

General Moorman was purple with rage. The commandant, Brigadier General Robin Olds, was apoplectic. Only when we heard them summoning ambulances did we realize people had been seriously injured by the flying glass.

My squadron was ordered into the dining hall, the south wall of which was floor-to-ceiling glass. Or rather it had been, moments earlier. Everything—the floor, the tables, the plates, and yes, the food—was now covered with broken glass. We would not be having lunch that afternoon. We later learned that 15 people had been cut by flying glass. One officer was hospitalized for several weeks.

Matthews was grounded and his aircraft inspected for defects. A board of inquiry determined that many were to blame for the incident. While they found no problem with Matthews’ F-105, rumors persisted that its airspeed indicator system had a “glitch” that improperly indicated the true airspeed as it approached the speed of sound. Matthews had broken numerous regulations, but his flight status was soon restored. The Vietnam War consumed F-105 pilots very quickly, and he was needed to train replacements.

News coverage of the incident was mostly unflattering to the Academy and the service. Fair enough. Nothing could justify so needlessly dangerous a stunt. But that demonstration of raw power made a deep and lasting impression on many of us young cadets. At a time when our nation was at war, it clearly reminded us of our purpose: We were training to be warriors, just like Jim Matthews.

One of my classmates, Scott Sonnenberg, wrote of the fly-by years later: “In one split second, a 30-year Air Force career was born. I don’t know how many other cadets were similarly affected, but all those windows broken may have been one of the best investments the Air Force has made in recruitment and retention.”

I believe most cadets from the classes of 1968 to 1971 who witnessed that event would agree. Many of us went on to serve in the war and in Air Force careers; 31 of the cadets who watched those Thuds would die in the Vietnam conflict. Their names are chiseled on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, along with 121 other Air Force Academy graduates and 58,000 of our countrymen. For the rest of us, that fly-by lives on in our memories and in Academy lore. It was a day we will never forget.

ex82watcher
5th Feb 2020, 01:00
F4 From the tower at AKR. Just another day on APC

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/403x302/19_apc_1980_d_535870b4de4eeba980fc923bee1595c96d7c8142.jpg
Operation BlockOff
Doesn't look as though there's anyone in the back seat.

Rhino power
5th Feb 2020, 01:24
Doesn't look as though there's anyone in the back seat.

Really? Helmet is quite clearly visible...

-RP

Dominator2
5th Feb 2020, 07:37
You cannot see either pilot or nav in this picture!!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/947x747/mpa1_9ca090a0a55db30dacf0c6930a649f7ac192f83c.jpg
Just another day at Pax Port Howard

But yes they were flying the aircraft!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x656/mpa2_f0a6475a88700d32ccd8f04e369f5df85735d53c.jpg
Just helping round up the sheep!!

Boeing Jet
11th Feb 2021, 12:01
Of course, those lucky enough to have served at MPA will have witnessed a number of "flypasts".

You can say that again! when I was down MPA the F-4's would regularly beat up the airfield before landing.

SirToppamHat
11th Feb 2021, 18:59

And those on the mountain sites as many again.

"Measles 2 minutes from the south" no time for introductory 'stand by for broadcast' etc

air pig
11th Feb 2021, 22:41

The fool who was PiC of the aircraft, was well known to the chain of command about his antics flyoing B52s and they did nothing about him. At the time Fairchild had had a shooting in the base hospital of an airman who had severe psychiatric disturbance and he killed numerous people. Again the chain of command knew about him and did nothing. In both cases people were not disciplined for their lack of actions. This well worth a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warnings-Unheeded-Tragedies-Fairchild-Force-ebook/dp/B01N46GYHO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fairchild+air+force+base&qid=1613086845&s=digital-text&sr=1-2

Richard Dangle
12th Feb 2021, 04:31
One of the best courses I ever did in the mob was the two week full flying authorisers course at Bentley Priory. Great course, great bunch of mates, great stories. Both the B52 and Cranwell F4 were presented (as well as South Cerney and the Puma on the Spanish??? parade ground). They were presented by the some of the top aviation shrinks on the planet and they tackled angles otherwise left unseen. Their view of the Cranwell F4...seriously *****ed flight planning, putting the "offending" pilot in a tight spot, which he did well to recover from.

The Bud Holland story is truly staggering to any aviator with an ethos based in professionalism. As Air Pig points out his disregard for limits was well known, to the extent that several sqn members had risked their careers by refusing to fly with him. Conversely a couple of the Sqn execs who were sticking up for him, were in the aircraft on the day.

As for the South Cerney Herc...again the story beggars belief...as does the eventual outcome (and I'm not referring to the fatality).

These incidents have a common theme. Breaking established rule and limits are usually an act of ego and showmanship, which in itself demonstrates aircrew who have conciously and deliberately decided to prioritise their hubris at the expense of their professionalism. From that point on outcomes become as much about fate and chance as anything else.

Sometimes they get away with...often leaving spectacular footage to challenge the minds of like-minded peers. Sometimes they kill themselves. And sometimes they kill a whole lot of other people.

On a lighter note...the video of the Puma and parade ground is well funny (no casualties). Wouldn't mind seeing that again.

DCThumb
12th Feb 2021, 04:31
I was on the Tristar as pax, just arriving on the Islands....the F3s had done their practise intercept and were providing a welcome flypast fiery cross.
Having spoken to the pilot afterwards, apparently his error was in banking as he passed the fire station because he wanted to say hello to 78 Sqn too. The bank induced a boom apparently and yes, damaged the fire station. But more importantly cracked the wing mirror on the 1312 R&R Landrover, Whitey!

His bollocking was more for overflying the helipad than the boom as I recall!

Easy Street
12th Feb 2021, 07:39
Re. Bud Holland:

Conversely a couple of the Sqn execs who were sticking up for him, were in the aircraft on the day.

The co-pilot Lt Col Mark McGeehan was the sqn cdr who had tried hardest to have Holland grounded, had banned his aircrew from flying with him, and does not deserve to be caught up in your implication above. The only person on board with some degree of culpability was the Fairchild Bomb Wing Vice Commander, Colonel Wolff. The record shows that Holland's principal enablers were a succession of full-bird colonels in the Bomb Wing HQ, ending with Brooks and Pellerin, neither of whom was on board. They and their predecessors failed to act effectively on the long series of squadron complaints against Holland.

Tinribs
12th Feb 2021, 16:42
Best flypast I ever saw was a loony F111 who flew down the crowd line jettisoning fuel from between the jet pipes all the way down the strip then hit reheat as he flew away, sonic boom as the dumped fuel ignited

GeeRam
12th Feb 2021, 17:00
Best flypast I ever saw was a loony F111 who flew down the crowd line jettisoning fuel from between the jet pipes all the way down the strip then hit reheat as he flew away, sonic boom as the dumped fuel ignited

Even better when the mad Aussie's did it at night over a city.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znud9pPKciE

Bksmithca
13th Feb 2021, 04:50
The CO being held to the very same standards and discipline that he is supposed to be ingraining within his unit seems to be an alien concept for some on here.
Given that he wasn't flying but was in the backseat and no mention if the pilot flying was also fired.

Richard Dangle
13th Feb 2021, 07:01
The co-pilot Lt Col Mark McGeehan was the sqn cdr who had tried hardest to have Holland grounded, had banned his aircrew from flying with him, and does not deserve to be caught up in your implication above. The only person on board with some degree of culpability was the Fairchild Bomb Wing Vice Commander, Colonel Wolff. The record shows that Holland's principal enablers were a succession of full-bird colonels in the Bomb Wing HQ, ending with Brooks and Pellerin, neither of whom was on board. They and their predecessors failed to act effectively on the long series of squadron complaints against Holland.

Fair comment, although I did not mention any names nor "imply" any individual culpability. I expect we are exactly on the same page with our view that this is an accident to be studied by professional aircrew and to be learnt from.

John Eacott
13th Feb 2021, 07:36
Much talk of RAF and other arms ‘low flying’ here, but rarely a week went by without a low pass or three of RN FW carriers by returning stovies.

I captured a Buccaneer on film when pulling up from a low run under the flight deck angle, which gave the driver a one way chat with Wings and the no option choice of tanker for the next big exercise. In a fit of generosity I loaned him the slide which I’m still waiting to get back some 48 years later. Bloody paraffin pigeon drivers, never could be trusted :rolleyes:

Then there was the F4K cleared for a low pass of Ark, unfortunately the Mach meter was a bit out so not only low but supersonic. Cleared the dust off the overheads.

And the RN exchange pilot who found Eagle wandering around the ocean and asked for a low pass in his Etendard. The crew painting the flight deck markings weren’t impressed with the modern art as the paint tins followed the slipstream down the deck :p

Box Brownie
13th Feb 2021, 08:34
The attached photo of the F4 was taken at a Gaydon air display in '76 0r '77. Just before MOD sold Gaydon, a set of trials took place involving F4s approaching the airfield from below the ridge
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/765x516/2_copy_ccdbb122db1367477033c63fd235e04ad8c2fbfa.jpg
.near to the village of Kineton, which has a large secondary school. I was teaching metalwork there and recall being next to a window in the workshop when there was a sound and all I saw ( can still picture it today) was a glimpse of a navigator's white helmet with a dayglo sticker on it. The attendance officer appeared a couple of days later complaining of one Phantom going across the front of his car without warning. Cycling home one day in the 80s at the base of the ridge, I dismounted ( thought I was fit in those days!) and was aware of a Canberra pilot eye balling me from zero feet. Dad was admin with 39squadron ( Mosquito NF32) at Fyid in 1951. He would regularly fly with a W.O. Preston, ex WW11. On one occasion they were met on landing and taken separate ways. He had no recollection of going down the deck of an aircraft carrier at nought feet.

ORAC
13th Feb 2021, 09:48
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident

Hawker Hunter Tower Bridge incident

On 5 April 1968, Pollock decided on his own initiative to mark the occasion of the RAF anniversary with an unauthorised display. His flight left the soon-to-be-closed RAF Tangmere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Tangmere) in Sussex to return to RAF West Raynham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_West_Raynham) in Norfolk, a route that took them over London. Immediately after takeoff, Pollock left the flight and flew low level. Having "beaten up"[note 1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident#cite_note-4) Dunsfold Aerodrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsfold_Aerodrome) (Hawker's home airfield), he then took his Hawker Hunter FGA.9 (XF442), a single-seater, ground-attack jet fighter, over London at low level, and circled the Houses of Parliament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Westminster) three times as a demonstration against Prime Minister Harold Wilson's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Wilson) government. Pollock continued and dipped his wings[note 2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident#cite_note-5) over the Royal Air Force Memorial (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_Memorial) on the Embankment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Embankment), and finally flew under the top span of Tower Bridge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Bridge).

He later wrote of the decision to fly through Tower Bridge:
Until this very instant I'd had absolutely no idea that, of course, Tower Bridge would be there. It was easy enough to fly over it, but the idea of flying through the spans suddenly struck me. I had just ten seconds to grapple with the seductive proposition which few ground attack pilots of any nationality could have resisted. My brain started racing to reach a decision. Years of fast low-level strike flying made the decision simple...

Knowing that he was likely to be stripped of his flying status as a result of this display, he proceeded to "beat up" several airfields (Wattisham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Wattisham), Lakenheath (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Lakenheath) and Marham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Marham)) in inverted flight (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileron_roll) at an altitude of about 200 feet en route to his base at RAF West Raynham, where, within the hour, he was formally arrested by Flying Officer Roger Gilpin.

Although other pilots had flown under the upper span of Tower Bridge, Pollock was the first to do so in a jet aircraft.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5571423/RAF-veteran-pilot-82-relives-split-second-decision-fly-busy-Tower-Bridge.html

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/634x423/4ac5f17400000578_0_image_a_59_1522712598822_815e319eae90bcc7 fd4c5ff38da254d49687386d.jpg

ORAC
22nd Jun 2023, 06:59
https://twitter.com/drsophyantrobus/status/1671211203543040011?s=61&t=rmEeUn68HhlFHGKbTPQr_A

Have had a fab day in @UkNatArchives including seeing the note to CAS on that notorious Cranwell Phantom flypast!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1420x2000/image_1ea2c304cc65bd335c3a10b2f944ee0406ef5595.jpeg
​​​​​​​