PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar question

Vendee
31st Jan 2020, 13:02
This is from the Laarbruch Listener dated Dec 1984. I'm pretty much sure its on II (ac) Sqns site. Any idea what is going on? I can only guess they are practising an aircraft recovery after an incident, given that the underwing stores are still fitted (although recce pod has been removed). I left Shiney Two in Feb 1984 and I've got no recollection of this happening.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49468563272_649d532be1_o.jpg

Wrathmonk
31st Jan 2020, 13:17
Is it the only way they could get it airborne with all the stores on?

Vendee
31st Jan 2020, 13:29
Is it the only way they could get it airborne with all the stores on?

Yes... that's it.... the Jaguar trebuchet launch system. OK, very funny but I'd love to hear some serious suggestions too :)

diginagain
31st Jan 2020, 14:37
Well, whatever's happening, there are some blokes there pretty determined that it doesn't escape.

fdr
31st Jan 2020, 15:28
This is from the Laarbruch Listener dated Dec 1984. I'm pretty much sure its on II (ac) Sqns site. Any idea what is going on? I can only guess they are practising an aircraft recovery after an incident, given that the underwing stores are still fitted (although recce pod has been removed). I left Shiney Two in Feb 1984 and I've got no recollection of this happening.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49468563272_649d532be1_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2innjpj)

Wonder if it had the same problem with its anti skid as my XKR did...

Lyneham Lad
31st Jan 2020, 16:30
The RAFG Aircraft Weighing Team trialling a new method to avoid all the hard work which a/c jacks...

Kiltrash
31st Jan 2020, 16:55
Woburn Safari Park take safe precautions when the Jaguar wakes up from its nap...
Sorry thought it was the Caption Competition ...

NutLoose
31st Jan 2020, 16:57
New multi axis sim?

Onceapilot
31st Jan 2020, 18:27
Deffo trade training.

OAP

diginagain
31st Jan 2020, 18:43
Hang it from the crane and use it as a decoy?

Ascend Charlie
31st Jan 2020, 19:15
It's a "Guess the weight of the Jaguar" competition. But the entrants thought they were going to win a Jaguar car, not something to put on a stick in the front yard.

Wensleydale
31st Jan 2020, 19:21
So who volunteered for a detachment to Jib?

MPN11
31st Jan 2020, 19:31
Multiple tyre changes ... a Beginners Guide?

MickG0105
31st Jan 2020, 22:30

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49468563272_649d532be1_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2innjpj)
Late '84 was when 31 Sqn were retiring their Jaguars for Tornadoes. Any chance that's a de-engined airframe (it seems to be hanging a shade oddly nose down) being moved as a gate guard or some such?

Vendee
1st Feb 2020, 08:25
Late '84 was when 31 Sqn were retiring their Jaguars for Tornadoes. Any chance that's a de-engined airframe (it seems to be hanging a shade oddly nose down) being moved as a gate guard or some such?

I think that is very unlikely. II Sqn would continue flying the Jaguar for a few more years so I don't think they would give up an airframe to be be used as a gateguard, especially when all those Bruggen Jags were becoming surplus to requirement. Also don't forget that the recce Jags were to a different mod standard to accept the recce pod so they would certainly want to keep hold of those airframes. In any case, you wouldn't want to transport a fully assembled aircraft, including underwing stores, by road.

Fareastdriver
1st Feb 2020, 08:28
Practising for it to be lifted out of a field by a Chinook.

Vendee
1st Feb 2020, 08:32
Practising for it to be lifted out of a field by a Chinook.

That's a possibility. The other thing regarding Micks suggestion that it is hanging nose low. I think its hanging in its normal flight attitude. It just looks odd because it sits nose high on the ground.

Chris Kebab
1st Feb 2020, 08:34
The irony of this thread is that the image appeared in the Laarbruch mag as a Caption Competition!

NutLoose
1st Feb 2020, 08:49
IT could be reweighing or practicing recovery techniques for a crash recovery, after all a wheels up landing will need lifting to drop the gear.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2020, 10:19
The RAFG Aircraft Weighing Team trialling a new method to avoid all the hard work which a/c jacks...

It's possibly not a good idea to mention the RAFG Weighing team, c/o 431, after a "series of unfortunate calculations " when a Harrier decided it wished to return to earth at Wildenrath one day, by virtue of going "plop ! " off the jacks and "crunch ! " on the floor. Suffice to say, that, after about 792 attempts at weighing, well ok maybe not quite as many, what you might say was a, ahem, mean figure, was decided on......

NutLoose
1st Feb 2020, 10:50
Krystal I watched a Cessna doing retracts lift itself off the jacks as the gear hit the ground during the retraction then settle back on the jack pads after the gear then lifted clear of the ground again :E

Cat Techie
1st Feb 2020, 14:38
Removed engines would make it almost two tonnes lighter in the back. I think it is a training exercise for recovery, purely that.

Seen a Jaguar bounce on a jack, Didn't stay on the jack either.

One has to jack a Jaguar rather high to do undercarriage retractions / gear swings! I'll get my coat.

https://www.facebook.com/allen.vernon.9/videos/10157414707477034/

spitfirek5054
1st Feb 2020, 17:36
It was the same on the Belfast,had to jack it up to about 5 feet to do undercarriage retractions.

Cat Techie
1st Feb 2020, 21:22
It was the same on the Belfast,had to jack it up to about 5 feet to do undercarriage retractions.

Now you are showing your age. I was 10 when the things were retired. The jag OP picutre was taken when I was on T24 at AFTS , RAF Halton. 18 years old. I still maintain aeroplanes, well Civvy ones.

NutLoose
1st Feb 2020, 21:38
Same height nearly as a Cessna because the gawd awful mains used to fold in from the sides underneath, rotate the fold up into the rear of the fuselage

GGR155
2nd Feb 2020, 07:13
Could be gate guardian installation

spitfirek5054
2nd Feb 2020, 15:10
Now you are showing your age. I was 10 when the things were retired. The jag OP picutre was taken when I was on T24 at AFTS , RAF Halton. 18 years old. I still maintain aeroplanes, well Civvy ones.
Posted onto Belfasts 1972,at RAF Abingdon,as a young LAC,18yr old,straight out my Airframe Mechs course at Saint Athan.
Still involved in aviation working for KLM at Schiphol on CF 6 engines,retirement this year in October aged 66 and 8 months.

Cat Techie
2nd Feb 2020, 16:47
Posted onto Belfasts 1972,at RAF Abingdon,as a young LAC,18yr old,straight out my Airframe Mechs course at Saint Athan.
Still involved in aviation working for KLM at Schiphol on CF 6 engines,retirement this year in October aged 66 and 8 months.

Nice one mate. NWI but not for much longer seeing Logan are pulling the plug. LAE though so other jobs are about.

Compass Call
2nd Feb 2020, 18:31
Started my aviation career when I was 20 after I finished an engineering apprenticeship.
I stopped working on aircraft when the last flying Sea Vixen was given to the Navy, now I work building AAR pods - 70 and no sign of retirement!!

oldmansquipper
2nd Feb 2020, 18:53
In the 80s whilst on my second tour at Laughing Laarbruch, the station had just won an RAFG award for Engineering Excellence (the something trophy?) when the ASF guys got a post maintenance fuelling sequence a bit wrong and a Jag was seen to sit down on its a*se outside the big hangar. (Not as dramatic as watching a Vulcan do it but pretty amusing nonetheless) The stn photog Who had his section just a few feet away spotted the calamity and took loads of pictures...

Allegedly, and possibly to prevent embarrassment, all the pictures were destroyed on orders from the local engineering hierarchy....

Could the picture be post that incident?

Pontius Navigator
2nd Feb 2020, 19:57
Not as dramatic as watching a Vulcan do it

The one I saw at Akrotiri as we taxied passed had the crew chief desperately hanging on the the towing arm. He saw the aircraft start to go and went for the towing arm. Futile as the fuel was still going in.

oldmansquipper
3rd Feb 2020, 13:42
The one I saw at Akrotiri as we taxied passed had the crew chief desperately hanging on the the towing arm. He saw the aircraft start to go and went for the towing arm. Futile as the fuel was still going in.

PN I didn’t see the AKR one, mine was at Waddo. However, I was (partially) responsible for providing ground crew entertainment at AKR when an Argosy wing stowed life raft we were fitting decided it wanted to get out! I can assure everyone that once it starts coming out, you can’t stuff it back in, as my supervising Cpl discovered to his embarrassment when he tried.

oh how they (LXX Sqn groundcrew) laughed!

NutLoose
3rd Feb 2020, 18:06
In the 80s whilst on my second tour at Laughing Laarbruch, the station had just won an RAFG award for Engineering Excellence (the something trophy?) when the ASF guys got a post maintenance fuelling sequence a bit wrong and a Jag was seen to sit down on its a*se outside the big hangar. (Not as dramatic as watching a Vulcan do it but pretty amusing nonetheless) The stn photog Who had his section just a few feet away spotted the calamity and took loads of pictures...

Allegedly, and possibly to prevent embarrassment, all the pictures were destroyed on orders from the local engineering hierarchy....

Could the picture be post that incident?

Ahh the mighty Jag, Michael "Tarzan" Hestletine Mp descended on us at Bruggen for a visit, Contractors came in shotblasted the HAS internally and the floor to remove the years of crud, it was repainted and sparkled like new.. Jags were prepped and put inside.. Spotless, bombs and belts of ammo laid out in Sqn numbers, the scene was set...................... then i was told to go out literally hours before his visit and refuel the rear jet, I requested it out as it was a known venter, promptly refused due to all the ammo set up etc, so in I went, in went the fuel and out came a lot of it........ the HAS was a literal swimming pool... Bags of chicken **** were scattered far and wide and attempts made to recover the prisitine HAS state, result, Hestletine visited a HAS with a dirty great dusty stain on the floor, smelling of fuel and crunchy underfoot :) Of course it was all my fault!

Cat Techie
3rd Feb 2020, 22:46
Later days saw a drain tube and 2o5 litre drum on a sack barrel stuck on the donkeys dick to stop such botherations.