PDA

View Full Version : Is a Second Language a Major Plus Point?

pj997
7th Mar 2001, 14:43
Is having a reasonable command of a second language a plus point when job hunting?

My intution says anything which differentiates your CV from others is a plus point..

The reason I am asking this is that I fly as a passenger on a weekly basis with BA from LHR to Frankfurt, and I estimate about 60% of the BA Captains will make an effort to speak to the PAX in German.

Any thoughts, experiences welcome???

Landing Gear
7th Mar 2001, 14:56
I used to do that route every weekend and the F/O made an effort to tell the PAX hight/temp/speed etc in German, quite good I thought.

I've also heard that a second language is a plus and will be a plus point in your CV. With the UK moving towards Europe any language is going to be a plus over someone who's got none.

Another language must be a plus in you're CV.

Good luck

------------------
...Gear down.... Three green .....

[This message has been edited by Landing Gear (edited 05 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Landing Gear (edited 06 April 2001).]

Ivan Ivanovich
7th Mar 2001, 20:08
A second language is always a plus, it isn't needed for aviation - except in France sometimes - but it raises the respect of your customers if they hear the pilot saying something in another language. Companies like that.

However go easy on the Brits! Non English speaking countries learn English not for the joy or interest in the language or culture, but out of necessity. Try travelling around the World doing business without speaking English (unless you're travelling to the same country on a regular basis). Furthermore, English is rammed down the throat of most people in the developed or developing World by way of computer languages, movies and pop songs. It offers a great deal more exposure to the language for those learning or improving.

Airborne Hamster
9th Mar 2001, 05:02
pj997,
Though having a second language on your CV may be a plus point,unfortunately it's not a MAJOR one.Far more, it's what's on there in terms of flying experience.There are those who appreciate it such as Ryanair,but at the end of the day it matters not a stuff compared with the ability to produce a 737 rating out of your pocket(for them at least).
Without wishing to sound negative(though I do seem to)hours in the logbook and the type of flying with which they were gained says more to an employer.
However,certainly faced with two potential candidates with the same experience,one with a second language and one without,the former will probably have the advantage.
Most normal interviewers(if there are any!) are asking the question to themselves"would I like to be stuck on a flightdeck for four hours with this person?" So personality and experience,unfortunately, are king.

Anyhow,best of luck mate.

AH

EDDNR
9th Mar 2001, 10:34
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">And lets face it, English chaps are the worst educated in Europe when it comes to languages</font>

I think speaking only the language of the empire is perfectly acceptable old boy. If I have to speak to Johnny Foreigner I speak a bit louder and point a bit.

Is that OK?

Rod

[This message has been edited by EDDNR (edited 09 March 2001).]

ChampagneSupernova
9th Mar 2001, 21:06
Well said you chaps Ivan & EDDNR!