PDA

View Full Version : Brits returning from China to be quarantined in a “Military Facility”

Timelord
29th Jan 2020, 13:57
Ok, so you have just been on a very long flight from China and you are going to be quarantined for two weeks in a military base. Where do you fancy? No room at Akrotiri I suppose!

pasta
29th Jan 2020, 14:14
If Akrotiri's not an option, what's Ascension like at this time of year?

Edit: if you find yourself on a coach to Porton Down, be very afraid!

ORAC
29th Jan 2020, 15:14
Room for 300 evxuees plus staff, isolated, and not currently very busy. Kinloss?

Timelord
29th Jan 2020, 15:20
Apart from the imminent arrival of the first P8s!

sittingstress
29th Jan 2020, 15:28
I have heard MPA is rather attractive at this time of year and could be most conducive to a period of enforced rest :)

cafesolo
29th Jan 2020, 15:29
Anyone had a hot tip from Netley ?

NutLoose
29th Jan 2020, 15:49
Any at Linton?

Timelord
29th Jan 2020, 16:05
Got it! HMS Prince of Wales, 100 miles off Cape Wrath.

Dannyboy39
29th Jan 2020, 17:09
So who got the short straw to operate the charter?

langleybaston
29th Jan 2020, 17:49
I assume that, having been in close proximity to the pax, the cabin crew [at least] might well need a fortnight at HM Pleasure somewhere salubrious.

sittingstress
29th Jan 2020, 17:54
Cracked it. Wattisham, the current incumbents are somewhat grubby and infected with all sorts anyway or so I am led to believe :)

diginagain
29th Jan 2020, 18:09
Brize's salubrious 'Gateway House' currently gets a three-star rating on Trip Advisor, and is just a short bus-ride from the Voyager steps. Is there still some residual COLPRO expertise in the RAF Regt?

Or are they looking for a military facility?

Timelord
29th Jan 2020, 18:17
So who got the short straw to operate the charter?

You mean the short straw inside the respirator that you drink through?

sittingstress
29th Jan 2020, 18:53
Is there still some residual COLPRO expertise in the RAF Regt?

I left the RAF Regt 12 and a bit years ago and have a fair bit of COLPRO experience and am more than happy to provide the service for the commensurate rate. I will of course provide all the poly sheeting walls sealed with bodge tape and drip trays full of Fuller's Earth. Currently I am employed wearing a pointy dark blue hat and I am certain the next "grow" I attend can donate the ducting and filtration equipment, our crims only use the finest. My username gives away my last role in the forces and as an added bonus I will be more than happy to give the evacuees the full practical experience if they so wish. I believe I am value for money and I await the phone call from MOD. :)

air pig
29th Jan 2020, 20:15
Macrihannish or Benbecula but Gruinard is still free, just drop tents and food.

SirToppamHat
29th Jan 2020, 21:10
How about Saxa Vord? The old messing facility is now marketed as the Saxa Vord Resort, run mostly as a kind of up-market hostel with centralised feeding. They could even be given freedom to roam to some extent. A couple of weeks bad weather and people wouldn't want to go out even if they were able! It's off season at the moment, so a quick call top the owner ought to seal the deal.
https://www.saxavord.com/

It even has its own gin distillery:

https://www.shetlandreel.com/

I wouldn't want to leave!

Wensleydale
29th Jan 2020, 21:14
You could get them to do Orderly Officer!

NutLoose
29th Jan 2020, 21:22
A ship does sound ideal, requisition / hire a cruise liner, chuck them on that for a couple weeks in relative comfort with medical support, it's isolated but in a pleasant way.

wiggy
29th Jan 2020, 21:36
A ship does sound ideal, requisition / hire a cruise liner..

Nah....given previous history its more likely to be a converted rather smelly car ferry rather than a cruise liner..

Ahoy there any fellow Rangatira survivors.....

;)

Union Jack
29th Jan 2020, 21:47
A ship does sound ideal, requisition / hire a cruise liner, chuck them on that for a couple weeks in relative comfort with medical support, it's isolated but in a pleasant way.

But surely that sounds too risky - they might catch something *really* nasty!

Jack

ORAC
29th Jan 2020, 21:48
It now seems to be the plan to send them to an “NHS facility”, which seem strange.

Theyre nit sick, so don’t need wards and beds, they need rooms and entertainment. If any fall sick thry then need isolating from the rest, not mixing. I also don’t think the NHS has a spare facility that size not being used......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/29/coronavirus-returning-britons-could-be-kept-in-quarantine-for-14-days

NutLoose
29th Jan 2020, 22:43
Maybe they are watching the China model and planning a rapid 1000 bed hospital, now let's see, rushing it through public inquiries 12-20 months planning permission another year....... Maybe not :E

rattman
30th Jan 2020, 02:00

Cruise liners fight disease breakouts all the time, while it gastro cant see a cruise line company wanting their liner to a be a quarantine then lose the revenenue from it and the massive clean / disinfect job that is going to be required

NutLoose
30th Jan 2020, 02:42
A flight to bring about 200 British nationals back to the UK from coronavirus-hit Wuhan is unable to take off as planned on Thursday.

It is understood relevant permissions from Chinese officials have not yet come through.

The flight from Wuhan, the city where the virus first emerged, had been expected to arrive at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire on Thursday morning. Passengers were to be taken to an NHS facility.

However, a number of UK citizens in China have said local authorities have prevented members of their families from leaving because they hold Chinese passports.Jeff Siddle, from Northumberland, told the BBC he and his nine-year-old daughter had been told they could fly back - but not his Chinese his wife, who has a permanent residency visa for the UK ."My wife is distraught," he said. "The Chinese authorities are not allowing any Chinese residents to leave."

He added: "I had to make a decision where it's either my nine-year-old daughter, who's got a British passport, and myself to leave - and leave my wife here in China - or the three of us stay."

Another UK citizen due to be flown out of Wuhan said she was told to leave behind her three-year-old son because he has a Chinese passport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51304204

When we had the first UK AIDS victim flown into Brize from the USA in a Ten, If memory serves me correctly she was offloaded and shipped to a secure isolation unit where she sadly died, crew on were on full AR15 / oxygen and attending staff in NBC, she was in an isolation chamber... Aircraft then departed to Boscombe I think for a full decontam.. as it was a new disease at the time.

Asturias56
30th Jan 2020, 08:17
"Cruise liners fight disease breakouts all the time"

The Marie Celeste anyone?

Impress to inflate
30th Jan 2020, 09:29
Surely it's got to be Stanley in the South Atlantic ?

Downwind.Maddl-Land
30th Jan 2020, 09:46
Macrihannish or Benbecula but Gruinard is still free, just drop tents and food.

Can't think of a better use for the former......... :E

Dougie M
30th Jan 2020, 09:58
Time to recommission the Coastel and position it off shore. Just a minute though. Where are the 1500 Chinese who arrived in the country without any med checks at all? This is discrimination.

brakedwell
30th Jan 2020, 10:05
I suggest taking them to RAF Lyneham and putting them up at Clyffe Pypard - a bit like the old days!

ORAC
30th Jan 2020, 10:25
So, latest news - not an RAF aircraft, not an RAF crew and not Brize Norton.

It would appear the first two might have been the sticking point with China and the UK has now chartered an aircraft from somewhere else in Europe. Not Brize Norton because the identified facility is in the "north" and BZ is not convenient.

NutLoose
30th Jan 2020, 12:23
A ship appears to have sadly become available.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/30/coronavirus-live-updates-china-death-toll-wuhan-evacuation-foreign-nationals-citizens-latest-news

chevvron
30th Jan 2020, 12:24
If Akrotiri's not an option, what's Ascension like at this time of year?

The honey wagon at Ascension is U/S (according to NOTAMs) so no pax aircraft landing there; the Brize - MPA transport stops at Cape Verde instead..

chevvron
30th Jan 2020, 12:30
I assume that, having been in close proximity to the pax, the cabin crew [at least] might well need a fortnight at HM Pleasure somewhere salubrious.
Flight deck crew will have been on the same air circulation system so them too.

chevvron
30th Jan 2020, 12:37
It now seems to be the plan to send them to an “NHS facility”, which seem strange.

Theyre nit sick, so don’t need wards and beds, they need rooms and entertainment. If any fall sick thry then need isolating from the rest, not mixing. I also don’t think the NHS has a spare facility that size not being used......

Whose brilliant idea was it to close all the military hospitals in the UK?
The Cambridge mil at Aldershot might be re-opened with the large runway (Farnborough) next door.

chevvron
30th Jan 2020, 12:45
Cracked it. Wattisham, the current incumbents are somewhat grubby and infected with all sorts anyway or so I am led to believe :)
Bodney Camp isn't too far away or maybe Woodbridge, but on the other hand, Little Rissington was a huge 'contingency' hospital but never used as such; is all the kit still there? .

Buster Hyman
30th Jan 2020, 12:50
We're sending ours to Christmas Island! And...they're paying AUD1,000 each for the privilege!!!

brakedwell
30th Jan 2020, 13:50
We're sending ours to Christmas Island! And...they're paying AUD1,000 each for the privilege!!!

Obviously not the Christmas Island for A bombs I went to with a Hastings in 1957.

MountainMetman
30th Jan 2020, 13:54
The honey wagon at Ascension is U/S (according to NOTAMs) so no pax aircraft landing there; the Brize - MPA transport stops at Cape Verde instead..
The runway is also downgraded but *trumpets sound* the contract to renew it has been awarded!!
https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/fluor-contract-repair-runway/ One phrase of which that jumps out is "the cost-plus, fixed-fee task order" which seems a little different from our processes...

As for the returning contagious tourists, the P8 hanger at Lossiemouth won't be used for a while. Cots and bags for 300 should be easy enough to fit in there

Strumble Head
30th Jan 2020, 14:13
RAF? North of England? For 300+ pers?
Spadeadam? Catterick? Blowed if I can think of anything else light blue and oop North yet not in Scotland that could take 300 peeps.

pasta
30th Jan 2020, 14:32
Cripes, I had no idea NOTAMs were required for a non-functioning khazi!

ZH875
30th Jan 2020, 15:15
RAF? North of England? For 300+ pers?
Spadeadam? Catterick? Blowed if I can think of anything else light blue and oop North yet not in Scotland that could take 300 peeps.
Linton On Ouse is pretty much empty these days.

sittingstress
30th Jan 2020, 15:49
The less charitable side of me say the festering hole that is Tidworth and any empty quarters/barrack blocks there. After all if it is good enough for the troops then surely it is good enough for Joe Civvy .

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
30th Jan 2020, 15:52
From the Beeb...

"When passengers arrive at Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, they will be transported to former NHS staff accommodation in the north-west of England."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51314028

KelvinD
30th Jan 2020, 16:06
Apparently, they will be going to an NHS facility in the North West but, not a hospital. It will be a block of flats, previously used as nursing staff accommodation etc now not used since they no longer have the nurses etc to staff them.

KelvinD
30th Jan 2020, 16:08
Cripes, I had no idea NOTAMs were required for a non-functioning khazi!
Shhh! Wasn't it a message similar to this that stuffed the Japanese at Midway? (related to a water heater, if I remember right)

SPIT
30th Jan 2020, 16:48
I don't think they would want a Chinese Chippy???

West Coast
30th Jan 2020, 16:52
We’ll give y’awl the friends, family and former colonial power rates at Gitmo. Temp is a very tropical 28C.

TEEEJ
30th Jan 2020, 17:00
Around 150 Britons stranded in Wuhan by the coronavirus outbreak will be quarantined for two weeks in a facility on the Wirral after they are flown back to the UK, Sky News understands.

The flight to evacuate them from the Chinese city and the province of Hubei has been rescheduled - as new details of the plan to isolate them upon their return emerged.

The Britons were due to leave Wuhan - the epicentre of the deadly outbreak - on Thursday morning but the plane was not able to take off as Chinese authorities had not yet given clearance.

The flight is now expected to depart the city on Friday at 7am local time (11pm GMT on Thursday) and is due to land at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire on Friday morning - thought to be around 10.45am.

The plane, which was chartered from a Spanish company, will also evacuate around 50 Europeans, and will then fly on to Spain.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-evacuation-britons-wuhan-delayed-death-toll-hits-045400328.html

slf99
30th Jan 2020, 17:01
Sky News reporting they are to be quarantined somewhere on the Wirral and that the plane has been chartered from a Spanish company.

pikestones
30th Jan 2020, 17:03
Local news is saying they are to be quarantined in the huts within Warton Airfield,they have been used in the past as temp accommodation and are very secure,

Asturias56
30th Jan 2020, 17:05
will they set fire to it after getting everyone off?

Timelord
30th Jan 2020, 17:16
Since it is a civilian aircraft with a civilian crew and pax bound for The Wirral, any idea why is it landing at Brize rather than Liverpool or Manchester?

Doodles
30th Jan 2020, 17:39
Spanish 744 not far away

Strumble Head
30th Jan 2020, 17:50
Since it is a civilian aircraft with a civilian crew and pax bound for The Wirral, any idea why is it landing at Brize rather than Liverpool or Manchester?
Because that would be convenient for the final destination and avoid a very very long coach journey. If the usual suspects have done the chartering and planning, then it would take all the fun away doing that.

diffident
30th Jan 2020, 17:55

It pretty much boils down to the fact that.... If I owned Liverpool or Manchester airport, would I want that plane landing at my airport??

The answer is no. Apart from the disruption it would cause to my business for the day, there is the big box of "what if's", and also I wouldn't be wild about footage of my airport with pilots in chemical suits taxiing around all the normal recognisable planes appearing on evening news bulletins around the world.

double_barrel
30th Jan 2020, 19:17
It pretty much boils down to the fact that.... If I owned Liverpool or Manchester airport, would I want that plane landing at my airport??

The answer is no. Apart from the disruption it would cause to my business for the day, there is the big box of "what if's", and also I wouldn't be wild about footage of my airport with pilots in chemical suits taxiing around all the normal recognisable planes appearing on evening news bulletins around the world.

Broughton? Harwarden? Both very quiet with long runways and a few minutes from the Wirral

sycamore
30th Jan 2020, 19:29
d-b,don`t think `out of the box`.....
Actually ,it`s just so everyone at Brize can get out their AR5( Or whatever it is now) and walk around like `zombies`...

LastStandards
30th Jan 2020, 20:30
Broughton? Harwarden? Both very quiet with long runways and a few minutes from the Wirral

Also both the same airfield. And not overly long for Public Transport - 1742M LDA becomes 1200M actual performance with Public Transport factoring, so a bit limiting for anything large & long haul. Beluga Operators are under different authed distances.

Pontius Navigator
30th Jan 2020, 20:41
Good choice of locatior, right next to the crem at Landican Lane Cemetery.

737James
30th Jan 2020, 21:23
I understand Wamos Air have been chosen as this airlift is being partly paid for by leading travel and ex pat insurance provider Mapfre who are Spanish hence their choice.

i am a little surprised if the passengers are going to the hospital that there is not anywhere further North than Brize Norton that can accept a very light 747 especially as it’s only expected to have 100-120 onboard as some people couldn’t get to the airport

PA38
30th Jan 2020, 21:39
They are all heading to Arrowe Park Hospital near Liverpool......

air pig
30th Jan 2020, 21:47
The norovirus capital of the Wirral.

barry lloyd
30th Jan 2020, 22:10
So, given that they've had an 11.5 hour flight from Wuhan, they now have to suffer a 3-hour (at best) journey to Arrowe Park. And what happens when they need a 'comfort break?' Do they shut down Norton Canes for a day or two?

KelvinD
30th Jan 2020, 22:20
There is no sense at all in landing at Brize and then bussing people all the way to the Wirral. Just imagine if one of the buses had an accident on one of the motorways en route and a busload of potentially contaminated people spilled out on to the motorway? Now that would be chaos!
Liverpool would be the ideal choice, a very short drive through the tunnel and there you are!

Lomon
30th Jan 2020, 23:12
There is no sense at all in landing at Brize and then bussing people all the way to the Wirral. Just imagine if one of the buses had an accident on one of the motorways en route and a busload of potentially contaminated people spilled out on to the motorway? Now that would be chaos!
Liverpool would be the ideal choice, a very short drive through the tunnel and there you are!
There is no sense in bussing squadrons of people from Lossie down to Brize and back every few months for a Shader roulement when Voyager could easily land there and pick up the passengers (saving everyone the horror of the 14 hour happy bus, and an overnight in the gateway with no food or drink)

But I do agree, Liverpool, Manchester and possibly even Warton would all have been far better choices.

Still, at Brize they don't have to worry about customs!

carmel
31st Jan 2020, 03:02
Wamos B744 EC-KXN landed Wuhan recently, in from Hanoi

Flight PLM8471 inbound, estimated arrival 1pm UK.

https://www.radarbox24.com/data/flights/EB8471

vascodegama
31st Jan 2020, 05:44
Lomon

Are you an expert in Voyager ops then?

Foxxster
31st Jan 2020, 05:56
So we are going to use a normal Quant Arse crew to evacuate our people. Crew will do a normal Sydney to Hong Kong run tonight, Friday. Then rest for about 36 hours before going to China then on to Darwin landing Monday at 2.30 am.

pr00ne
31st Jan 2020, 06:23
Lomon,

​​​​​​"Still, at Brize they don't have to worry about customs!"

Oh yes they will!

Clearly Voyager ops NOT your expert subject...

Pontius Navigator
31st Jan 2020, 07:44
Lomon,

​​​​​​"Still, at Brize they don't have to worry about customs!"

Oh yes they will!

Clearly Voyager ops NOT your expert subject...
Mind you, I don't see Customs being too keen on getting up close and personal. Stand back and let RAF Police do it.😀

Immigration will be interesting too as these will most likely be long term out of UK and Chinese nationals too. That might be why they are not using a civil airport. Trying to process the pax in a civil terminal or the apron would be disruptive.

PS

I see the BBC, 3 Hours after the ETD say the flight was delayed. Some journey, flight delay, processing at Brize, bus to Arrow Park

N707ZS
31st Jan 2020, 07:58
Wamos B744 EC-KXN landed Wuhan recently, in from Hanoi
I wonder what procedures are going to be taken to clean the aircraft after this flight.

TEEEJ
31st Jan 2020, 08:32
Two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UK, Public Health England says.

https://news.sky.com/story/two-cases-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-uk-11922375

31st Jan 2020, 09:11
PLM8471 B744 Wuhan Brize. EC-KXN just passed abeam Helsinki 1010 uk local time

biscuit74
31st Jan 2020, 10:54
Can anyone explain to me why this flight was not done by the RAF? Were there diplomatic issues perhaps?
In days gone by that would have been almost automatic. Given that the forces are well equipped to deal with casualties, I'd have thought an RAF transport with a small group of medical staff aboard just in case would have been a comforting and efficient way to do this.

VinRouge
31st Jan 2020, 11:48
Can anyone explain to me why this flight was not done by the RAF? Were there diplomatic issues perhaps?
In days gone by that would have been almost automatic. Given that the forces are well equipped to deal with casualties, I'd have thought an RAF transport with a small group of medical staff aboard just in case would have been a comforting and efficient way to do this.

Charter would have been much cheaper than the hourly rate for FCO is my guess. Either that or military dip clearance lead times for overflight vs civilian freedoms of the ether.

Union Jack
31st Jan 2020, 11:51
Flight PLM8471 inbound, estimated arrival 1pm UK.

https://www.radarbox24.com/data/flights/EB8471

Now just passed over the Edinburgh area, and should pass quite close to the Wirral before landing at Brize at approximately 1325....😱

Jack

NutLoose
31st Jan 2020, 11:51

Or perhaps a destroyer up the Yangtze, that passes Wuhan.. :E

I agree it seems strange to land at Brize unless it's to top up with cheap fuel.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
31st Jan 2020, 11:57
Now just passed over the Edinburgh area, and should pass quite close to the Wirral before landing at Brize at approximately 1325....😱

Jack
Maybe they just intend to offload as they over fly. Parachutes issued at Wuhan would save a road trip back up from Brize.
;-)

dead_pan
31st Jan 2020, 11:57
Must remember to hold my breath when it passes over my house... I'll close the windows and pull the curtains for good measure

topgas
31st Jan 2020, 12:03
If they look out of the window now, they’ll see their accommodation below them

VinRouge
31st Jan 2020, 12:07
Or perhaps a destroyer up the Yangtze, that passes Wuhan.. :E

I agree it seems strange to land at Brize unless it's to top up with cheap fuel.

avoidance of landing fees and no issues with moving “the infected” through a massively busy civilian terminal? Plus cheap fuel at the MoD rate.

KelvinD
31st Jan 2020, 12:15
A tad ironic that while passing their new accommodation, they came within a gnat's of one of the great "scare stories" of my school days in the area; the New Ferry Smallpox isolation hospital! Now that was quarantine proper, with stories of people "escaping" and being captured and brought back!

Pontius Navigator
31st Jan 2020, 13:11
avoidance of landing fees and no issues with moving “the infected” through a massively busy civilian terminal? Plus cheap fuel at the MoD rate.

​​​​​​Pure speculation but:
Landing fees might only be waived by the Government otherwise MOD would charge normal fees I guess. The bill could be sent to the charterer, or FCO. Why would RAF fuel be sold at discount except by arrangement with FCO?

Stampe
31st Jan 2020, 15:10
Congratulations to the Wamos 744 crews and operations staff who mounted this flight which many others felt unable or were unwilling to to carry out.An excellent example of Applied Aviation at its best.Huge respect.

biscuit74
31st Jan 2020, 15:11
Thanks Vinrouge & Nutloose.

I hadn't thought the cost would be lower - was resuming that RAF transport aircraft are effectively 'sunk costs' so only fuel and crew costs to cover. Different economic thinking.

Nutloose - I like that idea, though I thought the Yangtse river incident ships were heading only for Nanking, which is downstream of Wuhan, isn't it? And they had a hard enough job getting out as it was...

NutLoose
31st Jan 2020, 16:34
​​​​​​Pure speculation but:
Landing fees might only be waived by the Government otherwise MOD would charge normal fees I guess. The bill could be sent to the charterer, or FCO. Why would RAF fuel be sold at discount except by arrangement with FCO?

When Virgin were doing the Falklands runs they always used to uplift as much fuel as they could possibly carry to remain under the max landing weight at wherever they returned too post dropping off pax at Brize, the saving was apparently considerable.

dctyke
31st Jan 2020, 18:34
Funny to see the medics on the buses fully suited up whilst at least on one bus the elderly driver was wearing a woolly pullover.

Pontius Navigator
31st Jan 2020, 19:37
Funny to see the medics on the buses fully suited up whilst at least on one bus the elderly driver was wearing a woolly pullover.
From other items it is apparent that all pax on the flight were spread out in the aircraft. One said they were all more than 2 metres apart. On the bus lots of seats were taped off with murder tape so it looks as it the driver was remote from any infection risk.

The attendant would have been suited up in case they had to attend and passenger.

Interesting, at the air port one Briton has a full face mask with double filters. His Chinese wife had a simple mask.

ORAC
31st Jan 2020, 19:41
And in China they are down to wearing fruit, sanitary pads and bras as stocks of alternatives run out....

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/644x338/image_9969b90fe457b3f216bdff27affaca561ca0532d.jpeg

Foxxster
31st Jan 2020, 21:04
And in China they are down to wearing fruit, sanitary pads and bras as stocks of alternatives run out....

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/644x338/image_9969b90fe457b3f216bdff27affaca561ca0532d.jpeg

you forgot plastic bottles..oh actually looks like there is a bottle on the baby ?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=aassX_1580457247

ORAC
1st Feb 2020, 05:47
No doubt with the wife and kids carrying on as normal with work, shopping and school.......

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-quarantine-leave-for-coach-drivers-wnbq3fbv2

Coach drivers who collected British passengers from the evacuation flight out of China (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/topic/china) are to be given paid leave to isolate themselves......

The drivers had agreed to take the job and will receive ten days’ leave to “remain at home”, Horseman Coaches, their employer, said. The vehicles will be “deep-cleaned” and temporarily removed from service.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
1st Feb 2020, 10:33
What if Marshalls could wrestle Bassingbourn from the MoD? It is almost SW from Cambridge.

Just saying.

Aaron.

NutLoose
1st Feb 2020, 10:34
Deep cleaned using military grade decontamination equipment......

Had flash backs to brooms, buckets, hand pumped plastic garden sprays with detergent in it, plastic noddy suits over NBC kit, plastic sheeting, bodge tape, drip trays and fullers earth...... One hopes they have improved since then, but I doubt it.

i still think that the fact the drivers were not protected was lax, they mutter on about pax were 5 rows back etc, but they still need to walk past his seat.

Pontius Navigator
1st Feb 2020, 11:09
Very smart apparently as cabbage has anti-bacterial properties.

ORAC
1st Feb 2020, 15:49
Lettuce pray it works. Cos otherwise.

ShyTorque
1st Feb 2020, 15:58

Leaf it out!

1st Feb 2020, 17:31

Maybe the Spanish want it to keep its wheels for the ongoing flight !,

B Fraser
1st Feb 2020, 20:36

…….it will be the tip of the iceberg.

NutLoose
1st Feb 2020, 22:40
They had to try something as they needed to romaine

NutLoose
1st Feb 2020, 22:44
Unless of course it is his cabbage kit.

rigpiggy
3rd Feb 2020, 14:11
Do they seize their passports until they pay it back"had a friend who was rolled in Spain,got home(Canada) but no passport till payment"

ORAC
5th Feb 2020, 07:03
Britain to send final evacuation plane to WuhanThe UK government is chartering a final flight to bring British nationals back from Wuhan.

After Britons in mainland China were controversially urged to leave the country (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/04/dominic-raab-urges-britons-china-leave-coronavirus-outbreak), the Foreign Office said the plane was expected to leave in the early hours of Sunday morning local time and will land at RAF Brize Norton.

It added that the government wanted to ensure that all British nationals in Hubei province contact the Foreign Office to register if they want to leave on the flight.

ORAC
7th Feb 2020, 16:27
Final evacuation flight arriving in UK on Sunday and evacuees going into isolation in a facility in Milton Keynes.

Nearer to BZ, probably means they’ll land at LM........

ORAC
9th Feb 2020, 06:40
Latest evacuation flight just landed at BZ, must have been racing the storm to get in!!

200 evacuees on board, 2 turned away at Wuhan airport because of temperature (one of those has posted videos online of his trip to the airport - and back again in an ambulance, which are being shown on Sky News.