PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 with IBS?

4535jacks
27th Jan 2020, 17:59
Has anyone had any experience of getting a class 1 with IBS and if so was a OML applied?
TIA,

Jacks

squarecrow
29th Jan 2020, 07:43
Not personally but this link might be helpful for a start,
scroll down to Guidance Material on right column.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Gastrointestinal/Digestive-guidance-material-(GM)/

4535jacks
30th Jan 2020, 22:28
Thanks, I have read that document but I am concerned by the phrase "In intermittently symptomatic cases, an OML may be appropriate for Class 1 certificate holders".

i thought by its nature, IBS was intermittently symptomatic which means many pilots with this issue may be flying with OML. I wanted to better understand if this is the case or whether those with well-controlled IBS are infact flying with no limitations in their class 1.

Radgirl
31st Jan 2020, 08:46
Good point 4535.

The Rome III definition is pain 3 days a month for 3 months plus 2 of following

More frequent stools

Looser stools

Mucous

However the diagnosis is often used 'loosely' for periods of pain with months in between........ I suspect the CAA are being loose with the word 'intermittent'...... but more importantly whether they are well controlled ie non debilitating

4535jacks
3rd Feb 2020, 13:50
Thanks Radgirl,

Thanks. I will see me doctor and see what is written on my medical records as I have not experienced any kind of pain with this issue and due to a controlled diet and have pretty much removed all my symptoms. I don't want to create issues with the CAA and risk my class 1 unless I absolutely have to.

Jacks