PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol in Checked and Cabin luggage

25th Jan 2020, 20:41
Where can I find an official regulation about those rules? Is there a max percentage by volume of alcohol allowed? Is it an ICAO reg or is it a country by country reg? I'm asking because flying back from the Caribbean I couldn't find at the airport any Rum above 40%.

deltahotel
25th Jan 2020, 22:22
Max alcohol by volume is 70%, can be in cabin or hold, max quantity per person 5L, must be in retail packaging.

This is from the regs for carriage of dangerous goods by pax or crew which I guess will be ICAO.

HtH

dh

ps this is purely about DG. Quantities allowable for import free of duty will be a matter for national customs/excise.

Harry Wayfarers
26th Jan 2020, 02:58
Wouldn't a, just one, glass bottle be a problem in the cabin under DG, the injuries one could cause with a broken bottle!

deltahotel
26th Jan 2020, 07:50
Indeed, but that would a security issue not DG.

aloominumtoob
26th Jan 2020, 14:10
I believe the "alcohol by volume" is not an airline responsibility but a HMRC one. May be wrong, if so, sure someone will correct me. After next Friday, QUANTITY may also be of HMRC interest!!!:sad::eek:
alt.

meleagertoo
26th Jan 2020, 14:45
DH is correct, max 70% abv.

HMRC have no more say over carriage of goods than the airline has a right to levy taxes on it. The two are totally seperate.

meleagertoo
26th Jan 2020, 14:53
Cable ties are a smart move.
If someone is intent on getting into your bag they'll break a $$ padlock so a worthless cable tie is simply no loss.
On the other hand the 5 second opportunist baggage handler who sees an unsecured zipper and delves in on the off-chance won't be in the business of trying to get past a tie and will turn their attention to someone else's case.

911slf
26th Jan 2020, 15:58
40% alcohol by volume is 70 degrees proof spirit in UK, or 80 degrees proof spirit in USA. This is the most common strength in UK, higher strengths are available. This will easily light, as I demonstrate every Christmas.

Some expensive 'cask strength' whiskys are around 57% alcohol by volume (49% by weight), 100 degrees proof spirit in UK or 114 degrees proof spirit in USA. The three different measures are a source of confusion. If you are accustomed to seeing it sold as so many degrees proof and you see it quoted as percentage alcohol you may be under the impression it is a weaker product than what you usually drink.

So you can light a fire with 40% alcohol, or get dangerously drunk on 13% wine - if flight attendants don't stop you.

S.o.S.
26th Jan 2020, 16:24
Bear in mind that you are not allowed to drink your duty free whilst on board.

chrissw
27th Jan 2020, 06:34
Max alcohol by volume is 70%, can be in cabin or hold, max quantity per person 5L, must be in retail packaging.

In Bulgaria, many people distil their own spirits from fermented fruit and put it in whatever old bottles they have to hand. This is totally legal in Bulgaria, provided that it's for your personal use. We've carried this in both cabin and checked baggage on many occasions, in old coca-cola bottles, fanta bottles, as I said, whatever's available. Does that count as "retail packaging"?

Harry Wayfarers
27th Jan 2020, 06:54
In Bulgaria, many people distil their own spirits from fermented fruit and put it in whatever old bottles they have to hand. This is totally legal in Bulgaria, provided that it's for your personal use. We've carried this in both cabin and checked baggage on many occasions, in old coca-cola bottles, fanta bottles, as I said, whatever's available. Does that count as "retail packaging"?

I would suggest that while it may be legal in Bulgaria that duty has not been paid on it so it remains contraband for international transportation, down my way they even denied me taking some vinegar on to a flight because it is an acid, god knows what they would make of your 'moonshine' :)

deltahotel
27th Jan 2020, 14:14
Chrissw. That’s funny - made me chuckle. Probably best not to ask! If it’s less than 24% AbV it’s not a problem DG wise.

Harry W. Again, allowable quantities/packaging is a DG matter for the airline to worry about. Your vinegar was presumably picked up by security so an airport issue. Duty is a matter for customs at the arrival airport.

Harry Wayfarers
27th Jan 2020, 20:50
Chrissw. That’s funny - made me chuckle. Probably best not to ask! If it’s less than 24% AbV it’s not a problem DG wise.

Harry W. Again, allowable quantities/packaging is a DG matter for the airline to worry about. Your vinegar was presumably picked up by security so an airport issue. Duty is a matter for customs at the arrival airport.

And customs at the arrival airport have a hydrometer on hand to assess the alcoholic content?

The poster talked of transporting it in Coca Cola bottles, down this way retailed in Coca Cola bottles we have petrol, diesel and kerosine, I'd not only suggest that alcohol should be correctly labelled for customs to appropriately assess it but it be a DG issue of an unidentifiable liquid being transported by air in a Caca Cola bottle!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/500x375/bottled_fuel_1_dde6296ba4709f569bad09d2e2dbb19888a5851b.jpg

deltahotel
28th Jan 2020, 08:58
Can’t argue with any of that. Be interesting if it got queried as a pax went through the Nothing to Declare channel. I’m afraid I have no knowledge of customs procedures in various countries.

Exchanges like this make me even more pleased that I never have to deal with passengers!

Asturias56
30th Jan 2020, 11:02
years ago there was series about UK Customs on TV - they stopped a 60 yr old Jamaican guy at LHR and asked him what was in his bag - "nuffin Officer" - "Open it please Sir"

4 unmarked bottles of colorless liquid... "Aw Man - I'm going to my nephew's wedding in Brixton and brought along some good stuff from the old country" as a gift to make things go "

Officer opens one of the bottles, take as a sniff and reels back "Jesus Christ ! What is that stuff?" "I told you man, good stuff, Made it myself"

It was eventually agreed that a) he was genuine b) there was no way he could sell it c) they'd class it as 70 proof Scotch for the duty and d) as it was for a wedding they'd waive any penalty

As he wandered off the Customs guy who'd opened the bottle said "close shave - if I'd taken a swig I'd have lost my sight..."