PDA

View Full Version : Massive infections in HK

Vermin
23rd Jan 2020, 18:33
It pains me to bring this up, but after the expats hunkered down and did their best for the company during the recent rioting against the establishment, those honourable souls are going to be asked by their employer to again work hard and be passive and submissive . The expat pilot, always chasing the $$$ , housing, schooling allowances, while their life tick toc away ,, tic tock tic ... passenger Infections will be rife.

i left the company along with the former KA
DFO, KFC colonel Saunderson. And boy do I breath easily and for the life of me cannot fathom, why why why my former colleagues are still in HK , breathing the filth, talking nonsense, and facing a huge viral outbreak .

oriental flyer
23rd Jan 2020, 21:43
I wouldn’t call 2 cases a massive infection . I do agree that the world is facing a major problem and HK being right next to China creates issues that could explode. At,least China is finally doing what needs to be done , sadly the genie may already be out of the bottle . But when these people north of the border slaughter and eat lizards ,bats , and all sorts of exotic animals, new diseases will be the outcome
however it has been reported that China opened a lab in Wuhan to study SARS and Ebola has something escaped ?

ACMS
24th Jan 2020, 03:51
I Don’t think being outside HK will help you much if this gets out of control with a high mortality rate. ( it’s doesn’t at the moment )

So......

Gnadenburg
24th Jan 2020, 04:44
Welcome back Vermin.

I recall you caused a storm by releasing KA OTP data ( or lack of at the time ) onto pprune. The DFO was furious and you got a mention in the Friday yawn....vermin by name and vermin by nature he stated. Maybe he's calmed down and realised KA is just a means to an end for everybody and not just a selected few. Nobody really cares otherwise. You'd love the new generation of leaders- they actually thought a HUD would lure and bluff the KA guys toward an MFF deal.

jolihokistix
24th Jan 2020, 05:17
Alarmist and misleading thread title, IMO.

positionalpor
24th Jan 2020, 07:21
Vermin,
I suggest you to check a vocabulary for the right definition of the word “massive”.

Asturias56
24th Jan 2020, 07:36
he's been on this board too long - "gross exaggeration syndrome" is a regular risk here...............

Paul852
24th Jan 2020, 07:39
And also note that 20-30 people die every day of pneumonia in Hong Kong. That's just normal. (And not dissimilar to numbers elsewhere - 30,000+ each year in the UK, for example.)

Flex88
24th Jan 2020, 11:38
Vermin,
I suggest you to check a vocabulary for the right definition of the word “massive”.

englishpor

I suggest you check "your" sentence structure for the correct way to write in the English language :8

positionalpor
24th Jan 2020, 19:44
Right. Perhaps it is just strategy 🤓

Natca
25th Jan 2020, 02:50
Right. Perhaps it is just strategy 🤓

The handling of this is just like any other mainlander reaction. Turn a blind eye, burry your head in the sand, and move on. It will all go away. Carrie Lam is no different, we can even put mainlander Caesar into that boat. Last direction given from any leadership was a major rebrand to focus on flying mainlanders, thats where apparently market was... they even rebranded an entire airline for that purpose. Now they burry their heads in the sand about that strategy and any other better ideas.

Now there are three airlines, with no clear strategy or synergies.... hmm could have seen that one coming mates.

Asturias56
25th Jan 2020, 08:51
I can't see any Western country shutting down transport and quarantining cities...................... the Chinese have been sending out data on the infection from very early on

speedyb
25th Jan 2020, 16:18
I just returned from Bangkok, and I have developed a terrible rash. Is this the start of coronavirus?

Vermin
25th Jan 2020, 19:59
Gand, yep ‘twas I who was the leaker! Glad you remembered the red faced outpouring of your former GMO. What a plonk . The crazy thing was that he was personally congratulating me the very next week for a job well done in dealing with the 7 hour delays to PVG. There was me , sat smirking , knowing that I was the rat he was so desperate to expose. Dream on .

i also leaked heaps of confidential memos, screw ups, asr reports. Simon Parry, lol, we were on first name terms;)

Ive no idea about current management. Im guessing the are faceless wannabes who say yes alot , but not anything that matters.

And yes the virus is growing exponentially.
Its interesting how guys jump on here and defend their indefensible positions of why it won’t be a big deal in hk.
ive seen it all before . It will be.

Do tell your kids while they cough up the coronavirus phlegm, its was daddies choice to stay, the company will look after us . Cough.

Apple Tree Yard
26th Jan 2020, 01:01
All kidding aside, I would be getting my children out of HK now, not later. This could prove to be a catastrophic event. Who's willing to gamble with their own family?

Dragon Pacific
26th Jan 2020, 02:49
Quite right ATY. Get the kids out now while you still can or it might not be possible through full flights or restrictions. They are off for at least three weeks with a good chance of it being longer.

Dragon Pacific
26th Jan 2020, 03:02
Latest update, Shantou in Guangdong is getting put in lockdown from 2pm today. Only just up the coast from us 298 Km.

Che Xindamail
26th Jan 2020, 04:13
Let’s see, recent worldwide crisis that used to mean the end of the world was near (until it didn’t): Financial crisis in ‘98, Avian influenza, 9/11, SARS, Financial Crisis in ‘08, first and second Gulf War. Like all of them this too will pass. In the meantime, distract yourselves with some media-induced climate-anxiety.

Air Profit
26th Jan 2020, 05:06
It's all hysteria, until it's not. But you know best.

lucille
26th Jan 2020, 06:31
I just returned from Bangkok, and I have developed a terrible rash. Is this the start of coronavirus?

Nah! It’s just the end of the Singhavirus.

No longer ATC
27th Jan 2020, 14:10
Nah! It’s just the end of the Singhavirus.

Or maybe the Kung Flu?

Threethirty
27th Jan 2020, 17:24
Why are you asking on that question on here?

Oasis
28th Jan 2020, 05:15
So considerate to offer free healthcare to foreigners with the coronavirus.

mk18mod1
29th Jan 2020, 09:27
Thank you so much, you guys pay for it - free healthcare, good job.

Superman1
31st Jan 2020, 01:31
On top of all the civil unrest that’s been impacting Hong Kong for months and killing route profitability as people have deferred holiday and business... now comes the coronavirus...

Me and my colleagues fly to Europe on CX ex AUS (preferred corporate carrier) every few months and I was surprised to see our company put out an announcement the other day not allowing even transiting through HK...so pretty much stopping all travel on CX.... I wonder how many other corporates are taking this very cautious approach.

CX must really be hurting now... if they hadn’t had a tough enough past 6 months.

safelife
31st Jan 2020, 05:53
Bookings down 46% for Cathays, 31 % for Hong Kong Airlines.
Before the onset of the corona virus.
Now, all bets are off.

cxorcist
31st Jan 2020, 07:00
Bookings down 46% for Cathays, 31 % for Hong Kong Airlines.
Before the onset of the corona virus.
Now, all bets are off.
Sounds strange to say, but I’m nervous about how quiet things have been from CX Management. Most of the time, they are unrelentingly painting a negative picture. Now? Almost nothing other than nearly meaningless trivialities. I think CX is in big trouble. If the Corona virus is the real deal, I think it might be over for CX. The Chinese and perhaps others will get to pick at the carcass. HK’s reputation is badly damaged. That has lasting consequences for CX.

AllWobbly
31st Jan 2020, 08:04
Sounds strange to say, but I’m nervous about how quiet things have been from CX Management. Most of the time, they are unrelentingly painting a negative picture. Now? Almost nothing other than nearly meaningless trivialities. I think CX is in big trouble. If the Corona virus is the real deal, I think it might be over for CX. The Chinese and perhaps others will get to pick at the carcass. HK’s reputation is badly damaged. That has lasting consequences for CX.

Sadly you may be right. There are plenty of major international carriers serving HK and the major mainland carriers can easily take up the slack on domestic routes if required possibly with government assistance.

Freehills
31st Jan 2020, 10:33
Sadly you may be right. There are plenty of major international carriers serving HK and the major mainland carriers can easily take up the slack on domestic routes if required possibly with government assistance.

italy just banned flights from HK...

mk18mod1
31st Jan 2020, 10:52
other countries will block all people who come from China/HK whatever nationality you are, All Block. Good Luck pilot in HK. I'm sure people still in HK will be not allowed to leave HK. Good on you

TimeToWhine
31st Jan 2020, 15:08
With Hong Kong’s refusal to fully close borders with China, what do you think will happen to Hong Kong and it’s Airlines as more people in Hong Kong become infected and the world realises that people, including the Chinese hopping the border, potentially carrying the virus can easily come through Hong Kong to get across the world? Italy has just announced a ban on flights to and from Hong Kong and other counties will soon follow suit. Flights in and out of Hong Kong will come to a screeching haul, the airport will pretty much close shop, and all involved will be well and truely F-ed. Good luck to us all.

Trafalgar
31st Jan 2020, 17:39
Spoke to a friend of mine associated with the UK CAD today. He said that HK not shutting borders will prove to be a death knell. As the above post correctly surmises, once an article is published by an international news organisation commenting that free transmission of the virus is possible into HK, the territory will be considered as "dangerous" as the rest of China. Might as well turn off the lights at that point. CL is going to prove to be the worst, most destructive "leader" in HK's history. I doubt this will end well. If CX management have any sense of the growing storm, they and all other big business leaders in HK should immediately meet with her and insist on closure of the border. A few more days and it WILL be too late.

Flex88
31st Jan 2020, 18:04
Breaking

United, American & Delta will suspend ALL flights to/from mainland china !!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-flight-ban-delta-cuts-all-flights-white-house/4620989002/

LongTimeInCX
31st Jan 2020, 22:58
It's easy to say close the HK border with China, but there's a couple of significant points.
Firstly, a lot of fresh food, and I use the term 'fresh' with a degree of caution, come from the mainland, which can lead to food shortages in HK. And secondly, we need to be mindful of which large Capital City north of here that makes the REAL decisions about such things.
I'm not saying the border doesn't need shutting, it does to people, and should have been done last week.

ACMS
31st Jan 2020, 23:33
Ahhh no, the NOTAM I read included Hong Kong Macau and Taipei....

propje
1st Feb 2020, 00:55
Ahhh no, the NOTAM I read included Hong Kong Macau and Taipei....

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/632x1089/e4ccf5b3_c2ad_4bc5_9075_45a140e35280_bd7dbe87a5a1ab025b007df f1cdaeffb2a1953ed.jpeg

Freehills
1st Feb 2020, 01:21
They banned flights from China. HK was excluded from that.

Yeah, not true

Travel advisories (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_AU/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories.html)Updates on flights between Italy and Hong KongLatest update: 01 Feb 2020 9:45 HKT (GMT+8)Following the suspension of flights between Italy and Hong Kong ordered by aviation authorities in Italy, all Cathay Pacific flights from/to Rome and Milan on 1-3 February have been cancelled. We will be be in touch with affected passengers to make alternative arrangements. Passengers are advised to check their latest booking arrangement via Manage Booking (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_AU/manage-booking/manage-booking.html).

We will provide more information regarding our flights between Italy and Hong Kong as soon as possible.

Freehills
1st Feb 2020, 04:15
And because of Schengen, completely pointless. Someone can just fly via another hub...

main_dog
1st Feb 2020, 04:52
... unless the rest of the EU join Italy. In which case, we’re stuffed.

mk18mod1
1st Feb 2020, 05:16
... unless the rest of the EU join Italy. In which case, we’re stuffed.
it will be very soon, don't worry.

SOPS
1st Feb 2020, 05:24
Australia has just announced that unless you are an Australian citizen, you will not be allowed entry if you are coming from China.

mk18mod1
1st Feb 2020, 05:42
Australia has just announced that unless you are an Australian citizen, you will not be allowed entry if you are coming from China.
Nice act, good

b747heavy
1st Feb 2020, 09:06
A0202/20 notamnq)vvxx/qafxx/iv/nbo/e/000/999/1700n10711e999
a)vvvv vvts
b)2002010706 (01feb20 0706u)
c)2005012359 (01may20 2359u)est
e)discontinuation of all flights btn ad of viet nam and ad of hongkong, except special cases that need aproval fm civil aviationauthority of viet nam.)

SOPS
1st Feb 2020, 09:50
Australia has not banned flights from Hong Kong ....yet. I'm wondering how long it will take for the "smartest people in the room " to work out people can just go from mainland China and into Hong Kong and get a flight to Australia.

TimeToWhine
1st Feb 2020, 10:03
By the time CL makes any decision to close the border with China it will be too late, the ball is quickly rolling. Soon the only country that will still accept anyone or any flights from Hong Kong will be China itself.

Also, since lots of countries are now turning away or quarantining anyone who has been in China in the last 14 days, how does this affect crew either operating or passengering to these countries if they meet this restriction? Will a turn-around flight also count as having been to China?

hyg
1st Feb 2020, 10:42
By the time CL makes any decision to close the border with China it will be too late, the ball is quickly rolling. Soon the only country that will still accept anyone or any flights from Hong Kong will be China itself.

Also, since lots of countries are now turning away or quarantining anyone who has been in China in the last 14 days, how does this affect crew either operating or passengering to these countries if they meet this restriction? Will a turn-around flight also count as having been to China?

according to the news in hk, qantas claimed they are pulling out of China because of the limitation it has on its crew scheduling because of this 14 days quarantine......

Freehills
1st Feb 2020, 12:00

Also PR, and family members allowed from China. Strange virus that takes passport into account!

LongTimeInCX
1st Feb 2020, 13:26
Whilst white Australia would at the moment probably like to exclude all Chinese, that would be blatantly racist, however practical and sensible it may be. It would never float.
So by allowing Citizens and Permanent Residents to enter Australia, regardless of whether they are of Chinese descent, prevents any accusations of racism.
What is ironic is that the Aust Govt has put in place tentative rescue plans for these almost entirely 'Chinese Australians' and their kids, but now they are complaining about having to spend 14 days at Christmas Island.
One of them whinged further in the press saying if it was a white Australian, they wouldn't be sending them there. Typical blinkered victim approach! I hope somebody pointed out that all rescued folk, be they Chinese, White or Magenta are going to get the 2 week quarantine. So what if it's a refugee camp, and how about just saying thank you.

Superman1
1st Feb 2020, 21:51
AA have suspended flights to HK now..I’m sure the start of many... CX could potentially be grounded in the coming weeks if other countries extend their ban to HK.

Interesting to see thousands of doctors and nurses going on strike until CL takes action and closes the borders...amazing it needs to get to this, just like the protests over the extradition bill....she really doesn’t understand the people of HK obviously... She should be embarrassed.

Near Miss
2nd Feb 2020, 00:30
It's easy to say close the HK border with China, but there's a couple of significant points.
Firstly, a lot of fresh food, and I use the term 'fresh' with a degree of caution, come from the mainland, which can lead to food shortages in HK. And secondly, we need to be mindful of which large Capital City north of here that makes the REAL decisions about such things.
I'm not saying the border doesn't need shutting, it does to people, and should have been done last week.

Hasn't Macau closed its border with China? Where do they get their "fresh" food from?

dhoonk
2nd Feb 2020, 02:38
The Philippines too. The sphincter is puckering up...

Superman1
3rd Feb 2020, 08:51
Borders closing tonight. This maybe the best news CX has had in a while... If HK became exposed for longer it would need to be isolated itself from the rest of the world.

mk18mod1
3rd Feb 2020, 09:30
Borders closing tonight. This maybe the best news CX has had in a while... If HK became exposed for longer it would need to be isolated itself from the rest of the world.
Not all borders, it still 3 borders in/out.
What do you think about Doctor & nurse Strike?

Dragon Pacific
3rd Feb 2020, 09:34
HK Macau ferries stopped. A cunning plan to get people to use the bridge.

Dragon69
3rd Feb 2020, 11:00
This virus is pretty potent and contagious. It literately killed all the whinging on this forum in one quick swoop.