PDA

View Full Version : Posts about the AH&N 24 hour rule

Senior Pilot
6th Nov 2019, 23:15
Gentlemen,

I shall be with you as soon as I have sufficient post approved.

I do not know what is going on.

Much the same as a few years ago: whilst this is entertaining to those involved your spotters threads are turning into a parlour game with only a few participants.

Up to all of you to share with other PPRuNers or face the chop. I expect to see at least 24 hours between new entries to give those outside the UK the chance to feel part of this forum; the same applies to the other two spotters threads.

India Four Two
7th Nov 2019, 21:17
24 hours has almost passed. I'm ready to pull the trigger! ;)

dook
7th Nov 2019, 21:34
Pull it then.

India Four Two
7th Nov 2019, 21:35
Three minutes to lift off. Got to stick to the new rules.

dook
7th Nov 2019, 21:37
What new rules are they then ?

India Four Two
7th Nov 2019, 21:44
dook, see this post:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/626547-name-flying-machine-13.html#post10612688

Up to all of you to share with other PPRuNers or face the chop. I expect to see at least 24 hours between new entries to give those outside the UK the chance to feel part of this forum; the same applies to the other two spotters threads.

PPRuNe Towers
7th Nov 2019, 23:38
There are psycho, anally competitive players who will be doing a Lightning Mate and leaving this site with no warnings at all.

24 hours before formal answer or you are gone.

Rob

India Four Two
8th Nov 2019, 02:08
Rob,

Can you clarify please? Are you saying that no regulars should reply within 24 hours?

PPRuNe Towers
8th Nov 2019, 11:53
Reply all you like - just no one confirms as correct or otherwise for 24 hours.

Rob

SincoTC
8th Nov 2019, 23:23
Much the same as a few years ago: whilst this is entertaining to those involved your spotters threads are turning into a parlour game with only a few participants.

I do feel rather disappointed by Senior Pilot's comments that "whilst this is entertaining to those involved your spotters threads are turning into a parlour game with only a few participants." and I find the terms used (emboldened by me) to be quite offensive!

The subject aircraft are not the type found in airport Spotters Recognition Books and considerable historical and technical research is required, both to select them for a challenge and for the viewing PPRuNers to try and identify! It is quite a difficult quiz, not a frivolous parlour game!! It is true that there are few participants, but this is the nature of this level of quiz, but challenges or Open Houses are often left up for the "night-shift", so we are far from excluding non-UK PPRuNers. Also, I must point out that there are many, many viewers, who do enjoy following these quizzes from comments that I've heard and I'm sure a lot of these are outside of the UK.

Well, it has been over 25 hours since I declared OH "to give those outside the UK the chance to feel part of this forum" as INSTRUCTED by Senior Pilot above! I'm not sure why he feels we are not giving PPRuNers worldwide a chance to participate!

This is a relatively new thread and in only 14 pages to date, it has had contributions from the USA, Canada and the Netherlands. There is a similar if not larger ratio of non-UK posts on the other two of these quiz threads, so just what is the problem?

I cannot see that any house rules have been broken (apart from after re-reading those rules, that I may have broken one of them by posting links to a relevant picture on a popular aircraft site rather than wasting bandwidth/storage space here by uploading said images). The only objection seems to be the perceived hogging of the threads by a few participants, but there is and always has been plenty of opportunity for others to join in and they are never met with hostility and are always made welcome!

So what effect has Senior Pilot's intervention had? There has been no flood of overseas contributions to this or the other two threads, in fact a complete absence of any posts at all from anywhere on any of the three Quiz threads!! However, from the "View" figures, over 600 interested, probably disappointed PPRuNers have come and looked at these apparently stalled threads.

I do not feel inclined to take up my own Open House at this time, but will leave it OH, so that others may avail themselves for a further period!

What would be really nice, is that some of the many viewers or would be contestants would leave their (respectable) views on the situation regarding the interest and value they see in these threads so a reasonable and impartial judgement can be arrived at!

Thank you for your time, TC

Senior Pilot
9th Nov 2019, 02:12
SincoTC ; you may have missed the point. The threads have become almost (I stress almost) a closed shop for the UK contributors such that overseas members have been notably absent for some time. If you really think that this situation will be reversed within a couple of days then you overestimate the attraction to those who have ‘left the tent’: it will be some time, maybe weeks, before the desire to participate again returns.

Just relax and allow others to return and become an active part of the AH&N community :ok:

dook
9th Nov 2019, 11:39
I am confused.

"Reply all you like - just no one confirms as correct or otherwise for 24 hours".

That means 0204 tomorrow.

Am I unable to read English ?

India Four Two
9th Nov 2019, 11:47
dook,

I'm going out on a limb - it seems pointless to wait 24 hours, when my challenge has been correctly identified and can be confirmed by a quick search.

dook
9th Nov 2019, 12:06
I agree with you.

dook
9th Nov 2019, 12:26
Is it too early to post my answer ?

dook
9th Nov 2019, 12:30
Obviously I should have posted that whilst I could.

KJ994
10th Nov 2019, 03:52
A quick hello from Torquay, Victoria, Australia where I now live.

I've been following this and the other two "parlour game" threads for the past few months or more. I haven't the time or depth of knowledge to be an active contributor, but I'd like to say that I find all three threads entertaining, and now and then they throw up some interesting surprises. So, my thanks to the regular contributors, and to any and all others who may choose to chip in.

FlightlessParrot
10th Nov 2019, 04:13
I'm not a professional pilot, but this is one of the fora to which I'm invited. I'm also at UTC +12.

I enjoy the identification competitions, almost exclusively as a spectator sport though I did once win as the first to i/d a Breguet Deux Ponts--by the standards of recent competitions a thoroughly common and indeed banal aircraft. What stops me participating is first a lack of knowledge, and second the fact that the challenges are solved so quickly, so much so that it's not the time zone difference that counts, but how many hours in the day one spends watching the thread. I observe there's a relatively small list of regular players, but this is not really a problem for me as I'm interested in the aircraft, not the participants (sorry folks, I'm sure you're all fascinating IRL).

If anyone felt there was a problem, though, I suppose there could be a rule that no entries were accepted until a certain length of time had elapsed since posting: but I don't know how you'd enforce that, and I'm not proposing it, just mentioning it as a possibility if people feel there is a problem.

Self loading bear
10th Nov 2019, 13:43
I think I can understand the purpose of the moderators not to allow the post about decision correct/not correct within 24 hours.
However if the regular posters keep answering within an hour, the attraction of the search is gone for the readers in other time zones.
I myself have also indulged myself in trying to be the fastest replier.
However for me this did not always gave the satisfaction.
Being ultra good with using the most effective search parameters has nothing to do with aviation.

I find myself letting go more and more challenges after finding the answer within half an hour.
I myself am more interested in the stories behind the airfields, aircraft, especially if someone has visited or flown it themselves.
I think this is often an neglected part of the challenges.

Asturias56
18th Nov 2019, 13:29
Feel free - the regulars are all waiting for the 24/48 hour limit or whatever it is to pass by

Asturias56
25th Nov 2019, 08:30
"Why 4 hours;has there been a rule change?"

The mods don't want a small group of people to monopolise the forum so there is a 24 hour rule of some sort see post # 17691 and before about 2 weeks ago.

"Reply all you like - just no one confirms as correct or otherwise for 24 hours. Rob (PPRuNe Towers Dep Chief PPRuNe Pilot)"

Asturias56
28th Nov 2019, 09:55
does the 24 hour rule still apply?

"Reply all you like - just no one confirms as correct or otherwise for 24 hours. Rob (PPRuNe Towers Dep Chief PPRuNe Pilot)"

Flap40
17th Dec 2019, 09:41
Not saying that this is right or wrong but haven't we got this 24hr thing the wrong way round? What is the point of waiting 24hrs to confirm when the same person will 'win' anyway?
Surely it would be better to have a 24hr limit on 'regulars' after an open house declaration to give newbies/others a chance to post something.

I'll be back in 23hrs 45 mins to declare the winner.

Asturias56
17th Dec 2019, 10:31
I agree that makes more sense - maybe a 24 hour wait for anyone who has "won" in the last 7 days?

if others agree we could approach the Mods - carefully..................

Kit Sanbumps KG
18th Dec 2019, 20:46
This business of ‘I know the answer but I’m not going to say’ is utterly ruining this thread. It’s why I deleted my posts and left. (Along with the indecipherable and unenforced 24-hour mystery rule).

(By the way, obviously I know the answer, but I’m not going to say it).

Self loading bear
4th Jan 2020, 20:35
You are very quick by filling the Open house.
Although I do not question the right answer by Meleagertoo and the following open house, it could be that Kildress has something interesting about the Sperrin.

Although we have not agreed on a set of rules,
there is a directive from a moderator.

Some of the “regulars” have translated the directive into:
“Regulars” wait 24 hours with filling an Open House in order to give followers in different time zones a chance to post a challenge.
”Regulars” wait 24 hours with answering explicitly on a challenge in order to give non-regulars and followers in other time zones a chance to enjoy the search for the challenges.
”Regulars” are posters who have won a challenge or posted on an OH in the week before.

We can of course discuss the proposed time periods, but there is reasonable logic in this.

Kit Sanbumps KG
4th Jan 2020, 21:26
I find few things as offputting as the ‘regulars’ posting along the lines of, ‘I know what it is but I won’t say’. It makes the whole episode seem pointless. Either it’s a race to a correct answer of there is no race at all.

A proper set of instructions from the moderators - which doesn’t need so much interpretation - would be helpful.

Self loading bear
4th Jan 2020, 22:10
Kit,

It is tempting to use easy clues to come to the quickest answer.
But what would then be the value of the chase (and victory)

But if the majority is put off by any comments I will be happy to refrain from any messages till 23:59 after posting of the challenge.

Kit Sanbumps KG
5th Jan 2020, 02:18
Hello SLB, good points.

Asturias56
5th Jan 2020, 07:33
"I find few things as off putting as the ‘regulars’ posting along the lines of, ‘I know what it is but I won’t say’. It makes the whole episode seem pointless."

Agreed - tho I may be guilty some times - as with Bear's post if you know but want to give someone else a chance just don't post at all until the 24 hours are up.

These threads are under constant mod surveillance and I for one don't want to lose them. They are a haven of decency on a site that is increasing fractious elsewhere. People have been zeroed because he/she just couldn't stay away from the keyboard and was posting non-stop - all great stuff but the effect was to exclude passersby.

If you post a challenge then you have to check it regularly to be able to answer - otherwise taking a few days off isn't a bad idea..............

dook
7th Jan 2020, 14:37
This challenge has now been up for just over twenty four hours.

Is it acceptable to now post a guess ?

Asturias56
7th Jan 2020, 15:38
yes I think you're in the clear now..............................

dook
7th Jan 2020, 16:02
I am no longer sure of these new rules so I shall not.

My answer is no longer a guess but a certainty.

Asturias56
7th Jan 2020, 16:34
No its now over 24 hours and no-one else has posted a possible answer so you are clear to post - and if you are correct you can post a new immediately as you've won fair & square

If you were setting up a challenge to someone else declaring OH then you as a regular should wait - at least that's my understanding of how we're currently playing the game................

Senior Pilot
7th Jan 2020, 18:28
No its now over 24 hours and no-one else has posted a possible answer so you are clear to post - and if you are correct you can post a new immediately as you've won fair & square

If you were setting up a challenge to someone else declaring OH then you as a regular should wait - at least that's my understanding of how we're currently playing the game................

My goodness, I really don't want a blow by blow set of rules, but the 24 hour one shouldn't need explaining too many times.

Quite simply, you can post and discuss to your heart's content from the moment a challenge appears, but the declaration of a winner will not occur until 24 hours has elapsed from the challenge post. This applies to all three competition threads: a reference Wiki also covers the airfield thread.

I would emphasise that all threads should respect that this is the Aviation History & Nostalgia forum with an expectation of historic images and/or subjects please.

Clear as mud? :D

Asturias56
8th Jan 2020, 06:52
Clear Boss................

meleagertoo
11th Jan 2020, 22:52
Ere! I read the new 24hr rules several times before I thought I finally understood it - and after I'd already posted answering this correctly earlier this afternoon, and then guiltily deleted the post to await 24hrs.

Only to find the 'winner' has jumped the starting gun by 10 minutes!

Not much of a rule, this, is it?

Hrrmpf.

;)

Anyway, what article in Flight Global?
Please don't post bait like that without a link or further explanation...

Senior Pilot
12th Jan 2020, 01:03
Ere! I read the new 24hr rules several times before I thought I finally understood it - and after I'd already posted answering this correctly earlier this afternoon, and then guiltily deleted the post to await 24hrs.

Only to find the 'winner' has jumped the starting gun by 10 minutes!

Not much of a rule, this, is it?

Hrrmpf.

;)

meleagertoo this really should not be a problem: I posted this as an explanation last week, maybe you can let me know what is confusing you? I have put the comment about posting in bold, should you have missed it the first time.

My goodness, I really don't want a blow by blow set of rules, but the 24 hour one shouldn't need explaining too many times.

Quite simply, you can post and discuss to your heart's content from the moment a challenge appears, but the declaration of a winner will not occur until 24 hours has elapsed from the challenge post. This applies to all three competition threads: a reference Wiki also covers the airfield thread.

I would emphasise that all threads should respect that this is the Aviation History & Nostalgia forum with an expectation of historic images and/or subjects please.

Clear as mud? :D

meleagertoo
12th Jan 2020, 12:17
Am I being dense?
you can post and discuss to your heart's content from the moment a challenge appears, but the declaration of a winner will not occur until 24 hours has elapsed from the challenge post.

From explanations elsewhere I understood this to be a ban on answering the challenge for 24hrs after posting to give other time zones a chance.

Are you saying that I can identify the answer before then? If so how/why does it need 24 hrs before declaring a winner? The winner is surely the first to reply correctly. How does a 24 hr moritorium help anyone?

Asturias56
12th Jan 2020, 13:11
Snr Pilot says:-

Quite simply, you can post and discuss to your heart's content from the moment a challenge appears, but the declaration of a winner will not occur until 24 hours has elapsed from the challenge post.

So it's the declaration of the winner that drives the 24 hours -

I think it would be a lot easier if we were all restricted to 1 post a day - either answer or challenge - on any specific challenge TBH - that way us obsessives couldn't dominate the thread and newbies would and the far-flung would also get a fair chance - but what do I know?

evansb
15th Jan 2020, 19:55
So I am supposed to wait how long to post a new challenge?

dook
15th Jan 2020, 20:04
You have to wait until at least 1201 GMT tomorrow (Thursday) before Asturias can confirm your answer.

Asturias56
16th Jan 2020, 07:38
To repeat the Words from the Mountain ((my emphasis) :-

Senior Pilot said (What Cockpit post # 1350 07/01/20) "Quite simply, you can post and discuss to your heart's content from the moment a challenge appears, but the declaration of a winner will not occur until 24 hours has elapsed. This applies to all three competition threads: a reference Wiki also covers the airfield thread.I would emphasise that all threads should respect that this is the Aviation History & Nostalgia forum with an expectation of historic images and/or subjects please."

Come back at 13:02 Thursday Board Time (12:02 Zulu) for an update......................... both dook and I have run into trouble mod-wise relatively recently and so must be above suspicion.

One answer is to set fiendishly hard challenges of course - next time I'll start with a close-up of a wing nut , then gradually expand the pictures over 24 hours - perhaps then a bracing wire, then a wheel, then a shot of the rudder - then when someone gets it we can restart immediately..................

Asturias56
16th Jan 2020, 13:14
I’d much rather that people give the answer"

The 24 hour rule is to allow newbies and people world wide to contribute - problem is if one of the local regulars posts winning answer (even tho it is not declared a win for 24 hours) the newbies don't bother..........

I think the solution is to restrict people to a single post every 24 hours on each of the What? threads but what do I know?

dook
19th Jan 2020, 11:48
I find it interesting that the poster is not going to say anything for 24 hours, not even clues.

Asturias56
20th Jan 2020, 10:00
Cropped again...

Quem - I've explained why I crop pictures - its either because there is something in the main picture that gives the game away (eg a large sign saying "Welcome to Hawker Aviation" - or because if I run it through Google Image it comes up with the answer or something very close to it . I run almost all the images through that before posting these days - not that I believe anyone here used it but it removes the temptation............

Would any one be supportive of an approach to the Mods to change the rules from the 24 hr wait to perhaps a limited number of individual posts per challenge?

We'd have to word it carefully - something starting

"Honorable Lords, your servants, kneeling, cringingly crave your indulgence to humbly present our worthless thoughts.........................

Self loading bear
20th Jan 2020, 15:17
.... We'd have to word it carefully - something starting

"Honorable Lords, your servants, kneeling, cringingly crave your indulgence to humbly present our worthless thoughts.........................

If you start like that you at least have not to bother about the wording of the rest of the request.

I would be supportive of a change along the lines that regulars who have won in the previous week are not allowed to post answers or clues within 24 hours.

Asturias56
20th Jan 2020, 15:33
Your right Bear - I should start in "Most exquisite Excellencies..." can't appear to be too common to them............

Self loading bear
20th Jan 2020, 17:16
When you are in a sh!thole:
Stop digging!

Kit Sanbumps KG
21st Jan 2020, 20:36
I’m out of here.

thanks all.

dook
21st Jan 2020, 20:44
It's not "our new tradition".

It just makes a mockery of the spirit of the thread and serves no purpose.

Much more of this garbage and I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't participate in what used to be intuitive and fun threads.

Kit Sanbumps KG
21st Jan 2020, 20:48
dook, I’ll be blunt. I don’t like your activity here, I don’t enjoy your input. I find you obsessive and nihilistic, and I’d rather you weren’t around.

I think the ‘no comment for 24 hours’ idea is a brilliant foil to the new rules and I embrace it.

If you don’t like that, I recommend you move on.

I'm sorry if that’s hurtful, but it’s genuinely how I feel.

Asturias56
22nd Jan 2020, 07:55
Chasing people to post immediately the challenge was open was one of the things that led to the Mods intervention in the first place IIRC

We really need to stop checking this thread every hour.... I'm as guilty as the next I'm afraid................

Kit Sanbumps KG
22nd Jan 2020, 08:01
I have no problem with things moving fast; I can dip in and out depending on the other calls on my time. I have a huge problem with obsessive pestering and criticism from self-appointed Grandees. We seem to have got rid of one of them...

grizzled
23rd Jan 2020, 01:38
It's not "our new tradition".

It just makes a mockery of the spirit of the thread and serves no purpose.

Much more of this garbage and I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't participate in what used to be intuitive and fun threads.Oh, the irony…

The rules of this thread were changed by the mods because they needed to be changed. I’m not a mod, nor do I personally know any mod or owner of this website. Having said that, many of us who were regular viewers and/or players of the original “Aerodromes” thread in the early to mid-2000’s had become disillusioned when the tone of the thread changed. Those changes fell into two areas, one of which the mods are trying to address with the new time limits.

Sometime in 2017 the laid back, patient, friendly environment came under assault from some people (very few people, but that’s all it takes to spoil any sport…). Those new players didn’t seem to understand or care about the long established and very successful rules (written and unwritten) that had resulted in a large number of regulars, along with drop-ins from all areas of the globe, posting photos, making guesses, giving clues, etc. as a leisure activity, to be enjoyed over a period of days – or even weeks sometimes.

Because those new folks happened to be from the UK, the thread was hurried along during UK waking hours, which is fine, but when the rest of the world was asleep those (few) wide-awake, aerodrome thread addicted folks in Jolly Olde put more and more pressure on to speed things up. Some of us (those non-UK or Western Europe people) posted a few comments or suggestions to slow down – and exchanged PMs of course about the new tone of the thread. But it seems a (very) few people were truly obsessed with sitting at their screens somewhat akin to a Labrador Retriever prancing and pawing until someone throws the ball again. That compulsivity is the first factor that slowly but surely drove so many regulars away.

I am trying very hard to “play the ball not the man” as the mods rightly insist but I will add a statistic to make my point: One of the people who was (overly) active set a record on the aerodromes thread for the most posts on any forum on pprune -- in a week, in a month and in a year! – all on a forum intended to be a leisure activity.

So, here is why (I think) the mods took action: (This is a quote from a PM I sent to a fellow ppruner back in mid-2019) “It's morning in the UK, the middle of the night in western North America, and bed time here in Asia; we've lost out on another day of enjoying and participating in what used to be the best thread on PPRUNE. Thanks to the passive / aggressive behaviour of one of the regulars, it's become a less than pleasant place, where it's either "hurry, hurry, post something, post something!" -- just because that person is in need of something to do at that very moment and doesn't understand, or perhaps doesn't care, about the nature of a global forum -- or it's a dead quiet place for 12 hours because it's night time for the forum addict.”

If everyone understood the reasons for the rules we all tacitly agreed to – and abided by those simple rules – this could still be one of the best little gems on the internet.

The second reason that contributed to previous regulars abandoning the forum was the antagonistic tone that has grown over the past several years. It seems some people don’t understand when a word or phrase is an ethnic or racial slur. Perhaps they live an insular life and honestly don’t realise that words that were acceptable when they were schoolboys or young men are offensive, hurtful and, of course, unnecessary.

Cubs2jets
23rd Jan 2020, 02:09
Well said, Grizzled. Hear! Hear!

C2j

Senior Pilot
23rd Jan 2020, 02:42
Following grizzled ‘s thoughtful summary, (nearly) all posts from the three quiz threads which have commented upon the 24 hour rule have been moved here. Mainly because they detract from the threads and have become fairly pointless as the rule isn’t about to change anytime soon and has been well explained despite some imaginative interpretations!

Any further attempts to disrupt the quiz threads by querying the moderation will achieve nothing; apart from signing T&Cs agreeing not to do so, it is spoiling our Forum. As a courtesy to you all I’ll leave this thread open, but too much complaining will see it consigned to closure.

Kit Sanbumps KG
23rd Jan 2020, 05:32
Yes, as I said in one of the posts the mods have removed, I’m no longer engaging here. Good luck all.

kcockayne
23rd Jan 2020, 06:59
As an occasional contestant, I enjoy taking part in the competition. But, all this controversy over the “rules” has really turned me off. Why can’t we just have a simple game without the need for all this bureaucracy ? - along the lines of: someone sets a challenge, others try to guess where it is; someone gets it right ; they then set another challenge or declare open house. End of story. I do admit that I am sometimes disappointed that the contest is dominated by certain individuals, but that’s life, I am afraid. I shall not be participating again until all of these rules are removed. This is a simple game, no one’s life or wellbeing depends upon it. Get a life !

DaveReidUK
23rd Jan 2020, 08:13
As an occasional contestant, I enjoy taking part in the competition. But, all this controversy over the “rules” has really turned me off. Why can’t we just have a simple game without the need for all this bureaucracy ? - along the lines of: someone sets a challenge, others try to guess where it is; someone gets it right ; they then set another challenge or declare open house. End of story.

You might want to re-read this thread to find out why that's not working.

jindabyne
23rd Jan 2020, 09:31
Too heavy-handed Mods. Bring in Wholi.

Asturias56
23rd Jan 2020, 16:04
I agree with much of what Grizzled posted but TBH I have never seen any racial slurs on here - as opposed to Jet Blast................

kcockayne
23rd Jan 2020, 22:21
You might want to re-read this thread to find out why that's not working.
I do understood the reasons for the Moderator's stance but, could it not be argued that those contestants in other time zones have an advantage when a new challenge is posted in the evening or late night - when all of us in the Greenwich +/- 2 hour zone are taking a rest from it ?

Self loading bear
23rd Jan 2020, 23:12
Is so the next challenge will be from the USA or Australia.
so much the better.
GZT will have its turn 36 hours later.

Asturias56
24th Jan 2020, 07:20
I think Dook may have elected to quit posting here................. :(

Fonsini
25th Jan 2020, 17:33
Oh the British and their sense of fair play and inclusivity, it really will be your undoing.

evansb
11th Feb 2020, 01:04
So, now we wait 12 or 24 hours? I am not sure. Other than time zone considerations, what could the reason be? The majority of PPRuNers reside in the U.K. and Continental Europe. North America ranks a distant second, and the professional pilot population residing in Asia and Australia are nearly a forgotten third. So why wait for a small minority? Just asking. I am quite tolerant and patient.

Senior Pilot
11th Feb 2020, 02:42
So, now we wait 12 or 24 hours? I am not sure. Other than time zone considerations, what could the reason be? The majority of PPRuNers reside in the U.K. and Continental Europe. North America ranks a distant second, and the professional pilot population residing in Asia and Australia are nearly a forgotten third. So why wait for a small minority? Just asking. I am quite tolerant and patient.

Your repetitive criticism and querying of the 24 hour rule is becoming tedious, even if you do delete your posts after making them. If you cannot calculate a day from the time and date of the question, then PPRuNe and AH&N is obviously not for you.

There are PPRuNers around the world, and this forum is not the exclusive domain of UK and/or Europe. It has been explained before that attitudes such as yours, seeking to exclude/diminish the large number of Australian, NZ, Asian and American members, is the reason behind the 24 hour requirement.

If you cannot accept this minor ruling then please find another outlet for your online activities.

dook
17th Feb 2020, 11:55
Why is nobody going for this ?

dook
17th Feb 2020, 12:47
If my interpretation of the rules is correct then a UK-based player may not respond to an OH for 24 hours.

Asturias56
17th Feb 2020, 14:16
Not just UK based participants IIRC - no-one can confirm a correct answer until 24 hours have passed from the OP

dook
17th Feb 2020, 14:22
Thanks 56 - I am aware of that.

I only want to know what we can do after the OP has declared.

Auxtank
17th Feb 2020, 15:25
It's the waiting I can't stand...

Asturias56
17th Feb 2020, 16:33
It's the waiting I can't stand...

Careful - or we'll have the Mods all over us again................. :uhoh:

Asturias56
17th Feb 2020, 16:36
Once the OP has confirmed a winner (after 24 hours since first post) anyone can post if it's OH - he never gave any time restriction other than the 24 hours...............

"Senior Pilot said (What Cockpit post # 1350 07/01/20) "Quite simply, you can post and discuss to your heart's content from the moment a challenge appears, but the declaration of a winner will not occur until 24 hours has elapsed. This applies to all three competition threads: a reference Wiki also covers the airfield thread.I would emphasise that all threads should respect that this is the Aviation History & Nostalgia forum with an expectation of historic images and/or subjects please."

evansb
17th Feb 2020, 17:06
For a thread, I find the rules too restrictive, convoluted and not easily accessible. What was once kinda sorta fun, is no longer. From now on, I'll just watch, thanks.

dook
17th Feb 2020, 17:09
That is a great pity.

I am a subscriber to another site which has no moderation other than the common sense and integrity of its' members.

Auxtank
17th Feb 2020, 17:44
Surely the Mods don't come down here to Hist and Nost, Asters - I mean, well, there can't be very much for them to moderate. Can there?

Besides, aren't they all kept frightfully busy up at R & N sorting the wheat from the chaff, as it were....

sycamore
17th Feb 2020, 18:46
SPLOTAHN is like the SWO hiding in the bushes then jumps out with a ``YOU LAD` come `ere......!!

dook
17th Feb 2020, 18:50
I think you should tell some players here what a SWO is.

Auxtank
17th Feb 2020, 18:59
Is this still for fun?

Harry Wayfarers
17th Feb 2020, 19:03
A SWO is a RAF 'Station Warrant Officer', a character to be feared.

When based at Watton 3 of us got snowed-in at Swanton Morley after an evening on the piss, all that was visible of my mini was the roof aerial, they were bringing fooid supplies in by yellow helicopter from Coltishall,there we were on the phone to our Sgt. trying to explain why we couldn't come to work, he was bawling us out as the Swanton Morley SWO took the phone from us and bawled our Sgt. out, oh it was worth it :)

Quemerford
17th Feb 2020, 20:12
I think you should tell some players here what a SWO is.

Or try to be inclusive. Some of us have gotten over it and moved on too.

PDR1
17th Feb 2020, 23:07
Why is nobody going for this ?

I was under the impression we had to wait 24 hours or something - that's why I just hinted about it.

Do I misunderstand the rules?

PDR

Asturias56
18th Feb 2020, 08:03
PDR - the last authoritative guidance from Senior Pilot is in my post #74 above

The mods have kept a close eye on these "Name that.." threads for the last 6 months so it's best to conform - or to quit...................

PDR1
18th Feb 2020, 14:50
No problem - I have no desire to rock the boat, I just misunderstood the rules.

I would also point out that I only posted in response to a question from dook. The question is still in the original thread!

PDR

Asturias56
19th Feb 2020, 08:13
Yes - we all drift away from the Word I'm afraid - I've cut n/ pasted them onto my Desktop so I can stay on the straight and narrow

evansb
20th Feb 2020, 10:01
Thank you. I fully understand. If the T.V. game show JEOPARDY complied with pprune rules, a single episode would take 5 days. I fully understand. Did I say I fully understand? Well, if I didn't, I fully understand.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x251/hbiz4hp_e707df2d4ff81f237f347dec97aa67a2d786573c.jpg

evansb
20th Feb 2020, 10:19
Wow! The last photo of a cockpit was posted on Feb. 16th. Several DAYS ago. Now that is PERFORMANCE! Who wouldn't want to participate in this exciting, fast moving and challenging thread? Hmm... the T.V. show JEOPARDY goes through well over 50 questions in 22 minutes every day. Well, 5 days a week.

And yes, I fully understand "If you don't like it, don't participate" You are so correct. I love you. Kumbaya. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA

evansb
1st Mar 2020, 18:20
Give the time of Auxtank's response of the ATG Javelin, I am guessing dook failed to notice it.

Or am I missing some again in the rules?

dook
1st Mar 2020, 18:31
I didn't miss it.

Harry Wayfarers
2nd Mar 2020, 04:22

I'm confused ... Once in a blue moon do I post in the 'Which Aerodrome' thread or any other, quote, 'spotter' threads, just recently I posted a WA observataion that others paid me credit for them successfully guessing it right as if they were giving me the house, not to spoil their enjoyment I posted to tell them to carry on without me only to receive a scolding from a mod regarding the 24 hour rule.

That is two posts in that thread during 2020 and I am one of those outside the UK to be given the chance to feel part of the forum yet in trying to feel part of the forum I found myself scolded and my post removed!

Asturias56
2nd Mar 2020, 07:45
Harry - the discussion has been long - it seems weird that a CORRECT answer has to wait to be confirmed where what is needed IMHO is a restriction on rapid-fire GUESSES

However a lot of people are less than happy the Mods have spoken (several times) - we have a choice of continuing on here under the rules set out or going elsewhere.

I don't think anyone is very happy but that's where we are unfortunately

kenparry
2nd Mar 2020, 11:33
A56: your last sentence is a good summary. I used to post fairly regularly on a couple of these threads, but under the current rules have reverted to being just an observer. The imposed delays have reduced the fun.

So be it...………………………..

Allan Lupton
2nd Mar 2020, 14:33
Some sort of order is necessary and it only remains to define and implement it. I think enough of us, like Ken in the post above, are in reduced fun mode so some more thought may be necessary..
In another existence, I play on a site called Autopuzzles (https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php) where we identify cars that people post. We have a scoring system-based heirarchy ("rookie", "expert", "professional" and "master") with puzzles starting at "rookie" where newcomers alone may guess/answer, then moving up as and when the originator chooses.
It can work well, but the downside is that those of us who score well end up only being allowed to answer the really obscure puzzles that have foxed everyone!
You can't run such a system here but if someone were to set up an "Aeropuzzles" site, it could be quite successful.

Harry Wayfarers
2nd Mar 2020, 20:23
Harry - the discussion has been long - it seems weird that a CORRECT answer has to wait to be confirmed where what is needed IMHO is a restriction on rapid-fire GUESSES

However a lot of people are less than happy the Mods have spoken (several times) - we have a choice of continuing on here under the rules set out or going elsewhere.

I don't think anyone is very happy but that's where we are unfortunately

Am I allowed to post here twice within 24 hours?

In fairness I did observe that some, I recall a minority, were posting and posting as if they were a machine gun but a common sense rule should apply, all I posted was an observation and then a "carry on" and I got caned for the 24 hour rule, I was walking away from the thread for the mods to come chasing after me.

Alas this is the world we find ourselves living in, robotic programming, yes I have experienced their attitude "that if you don't like it etc." previously but then once upon a time I enquired regarding commercially advertising here and they justify their high prices based on the number of members they have, yes they have a price on our heads!

Auxtank
2nd Mar 2020, 20:34
"It was a bright cold day in April..."

Senior Pilot
2nd Mar 2020, 21:16
Am I allowed to post here twice within 24 hours?

In fairness I did observe that some, I recall a minority, were posting and posting as if they were a machine gun but a common sense rule should apply, all I posted was an observation and then a "carry on" and I got caned for the 24 hour rule, I was walking away from the thread for the mods to come chasing after me.

Alas this is the world we find ourselves living in, robotic programming, yes I have experienced their attitude "that if you don't like it etc." previously but then once upon a time I enquired regarding commercially advertising here and they justify their high prices based on the number of members they have, yes they have a price on our heads!

Harry Wayfarers you seem to have a different recollection of events to those in our records. Not one of your posts is deleted within this forum: all remain online for all (including you) to see.

Moderators have far better things to do than 'come chasing after you'. You are quite correct that this restriction was to contain the few members who spoiled the threads for others, despite being advised on many occasions: we may well remove them and the reason for the restrictions, but time will tell. It tends to be the same members who choose 'not to understand' and make life difficult for others.

As for nonsensical comments about not posting here within 24 hours, feel free to obey your own rules: they aren't those of this Forum.

Auxtank
2nd Mar 2020, 21:26
Harry Wayfarers you seem to have a different recollection of events to those in our records. Not one of your posts is deleted within this forum: all remain online for all (including you) to see.

Moderators have far better things to do than 'come chasing after you'. You are quite correct that this restriction was to contain the few members who spoiled the threads for others, despite being advised on many occasions: we may well remove them and the reason for the restrictions, but time will tell. It tends to be the same members who choose 'not to understand' and make life difficult for others.

As for nonsensical comments about not posting here within 24 hours, feel free to obey your own rules: they aren't those of this Forum.

I for one, have not been here for long - I do enjoy the challenges - I have yet to witness anyone from > UTC +/- 3 HRS complaining that the Challenge/ Response is unfair in terms of the Time Zone difference.
Perhaps SeniorPilot could ellaborate on the evidence of his assertions and, following Harry's comments assert that they are credible and relevant.
I ask, as ever, only for information.

Auxtank.

sycamore
2nd Mar 2020, 21:38
Harry W, you can post as may submissions as you want in the `spotting` threads,but nobody will have a correct answer given until 24 hrs have passed...clues may be offered/denied/changed in that timeframe,apart from a confirmation of the correct answer....so feel free to post...
And for anybody else,suggest you watch the `Tiger Club`,the Early Days``,when life was more FFFUUUNNN`,Airshows were not constrained by thick books of regulations/regulators,more by `awaremanship`/commonsense,and scrutiny by your peers...and in most cases `we` were paying to fly the aircraft, as well..no sponsors, ….

ps..the video is on the link at the `sticky ,top of Forum.....

Harry Wayfarers
2nd Mar 2020, 23:54
Harry W, you can post as may submissions as you want in the `spotting` threads,but nobody will have a correct answer given until 24 hrs have passed...clues may be offered/denied/changed in that timeframe,apart from a confirmation of the correct answer....so feel free to post...
And for anybody else,suggest you watch the `Tiger Club`,the Early Days``,when life was more FFFUUUNNN`,Airshows were not constrained by thick books of regulations/regulators,more by `awaremanship`/commonsense,and scrutiny by your peers...and in most cases `we` were paying to fly the aircraft, as well..no sponsors, ….

ps..the video is on the link at the `sticky ,top of Forum.....

But it seems that I cannot thus my confusion as to what the rules may be, they say to allow those outside of UK a chance to feel part of the forum ... Except me it seems!

Forum Alert (https://www.pprune.org/members/454893-forum-alert)
https://www.pprune.org/images/avatars/th_banned.gif

Your post(s) have been moved

Hello Harry Wayfarers

Your post(s) in the thread "Which Aerodrome Mk III" have been moved to Posts about 24 hour rule (https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/629089-posts-about-ah-n-24-hour-rule.html) by our moderator team. We encourage you to continue your discussion in this new location.

Thank you!

Asturias56
3rd Mar 2020, 07:20
Ahhh - it happens to us all I'm afraid

Harry Wayfarers
3rd Mar 2020, 08:49
Ahhh - it happens to us all I'm afraid

The mods can bull as much as they like, perhaps that my post wasn't deleted but moved to a different thread that I had no intent of posting in, that's much the same as an airline claiming that they haven't cancelled my flight, they've simply rescheduled it to a different day!

Sycamore posted that I can post as often as I like so long as I do not announce a correct answer ... So I'm not the only one that is confused then!!!

Asturias56
3rd Mar 2020, 09:04
No - you can post as much as you like but the OP can't CONFIRM you are right until after 24 hours. This isn't logical I agree as once someone has posted a right answer we all go off and check and agree & that's the thread dead for the rest of the 24 hours until the OP signs it off. Personally I'd prefer a system that limited the posting so you could only POST once a day on any thread but that's not what the Mods have decided

Harry Wayfarers
3rd Mar 2020, 10:54
No - you can post as much as you like but the OP can't CONFIRM you are right until after 24 hours. This isn't logical I agree as once someone has posted a right answer we all go off and check and agree & that's the thread dead for the rest of the 24 hours until the OP signs it off. Personally I'd prefer a system that limited the posting so you could only POST once a day on any thread but that's not what the Mods have decided

What an attitude problem, we are all here chatting amicably amongst ourselves without conflict for one character to cone along to claim nonsensical writings whilst nonsecically claiming that he/she/it has better things to do than chase after me ... Pot calling the kettle black or what?

My opening words were "I'm confused" ... not "Hello mods, come and punch my lights out" ... What an attitude to demonstrate!

Asturias56
3rd Mar 2020, 19:37
Modding isn't an elective office we have the ones we have (Gawd Bless them all if they're reading)

Senior Pilot
15th Mar 2020, 02:28
OK, the immediacy that some members found imperative to their lives is now under control within the 'competition' threads.

Those who have a history of creating parlour games are queued for post approval, so as of now the 24 hour rule is lifted and we'll see how the threads progress.

Anyone hovering over their keyboard to return the threads to a UK/Europe centric game may find their posts queued or their access to AH&N limited; I hope that doesn't happen since this is a better and friendlier forum than most :ok: