PDA

View Full Version : Oban fuel

sharpend
22nd Jan 2020, 21:52
We are planning in the summer to tour the Highlands & Islands in our Bulldog. However, at present there is no fuel at Oban. And of course none for many miles. Makes using it as a base a bit of a problem. I'm told that the problem lies with the the council, though not 100% sure of all the facts. However, no fuel is forecast in the future, so check before you go up that way.

BoeingBoy
23rd Jan 2020, 13:46
Great shame as I used it last year after night stopping in Glenforsa. Headed up to Skye and then across to Perth which worked well however I guess we're now looking at Islay and Stornoway as the only two places on the West side of Scotland to get 100LL, and even then I'd ring ahead to confirm supplies.

I do feel that this getting to be a safety issue as having only two airports Northwewst of Glasgow that can cater for 100LL diversions is not what we should be encouraging in the UK.

John R81
24th Jan 2020, 09:45
Their website (http://obanandtheislesairports.com/landing-airfield-charges-fuel/) currently says "Both AVGAS 100LL and Jet A1 are unavailable at Oban Airport until further notice."

ShyTorque
24th Jan 2020, 16:48
Their website (http://obanandtheislesairports.com/landing-airfield-charges-fuel/) currently says "Both AVGAS 100LL and Jet A1 are unavailable at Oban Airport until further notice."

Not much of an airport then! The few times I've flown into Oban we've definitely needed a refuel.

Maoraigh1
24th Jan 2020, 18:51
". I'm told that the problem lies with the the council, though not 100% sure of all the facts. "
I heard the fuel concession was due to expire May 2020. There were plans to replace him then. He gave his required notice early, and stopped operations. The Council were caught by surprise, and were unable to get anything organised. A self-service pump was rumoured to be the replacement the Council had arranged for May 2020.

sharpend
2nd Feb 2020, 16:18
". I'm told that the problem lies with the the council, though not 100% sure of all the facts. "
I heard the fuel concession was due to expire May 2020. There were plans to replace him then. He gave his required notice early, and stopped operations. The Council were caught by surprise, and were unable to get anything organised. A self-service pump was rumoured to be the replacement the Council had arranged for May 2020.

Absolute shambles. Without wishing to get political, Oban is a very important airfield and I'm sure the Scots can sort this out in a week, not months & months. All they need is a fuel bowser to be replaced at certain intervals. I would think that the HIghlands and Islands must be losing a lot of revenue because of this. What does that say about Scottish independence?

gasax
2nd Feb 2020, 17:12
I would try and not combine scots independence with the demonstrated and continuing incompetence of Argyll and Bute Council. In the case of Oban, every single 'decision' or action has demonstrated ABC's monumental incompetence. If you threw darts at a board blindfolded, you would achieve more correct answers than they have managed. The national government will leave things well alone for probably just that reason..... "Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Maoraigh1
2nd Feb 2020, 20:24
I was told Oban was had located a bowser to tide over until the planned self-serve pump was operational in May, which was the date on which the previous supplier's contract ran out. Presumably some snag arose which prevented this happening.
In the situation they suddenly found themselves in, I don't see the criticisms of A&G Council is justified.
I'd be surprised if there is much economic effect on the Highlands and Islands Geographical Area, nor on The Highland Council, nor the Western Isles Council.
And none on Highland & Islands Airports, who are not involved.
I

OvertHawk
3rd Feb 2020, 09:21
I was told Oban was had located a bowser to tide over until the planned self-serve pump was operational in May, which was the date on which the previous supplier's contract ran out. Presumably some snag arose which prevented this happening.
In the situation they suddenly found themselves in, I don't see the criticisms of A&G Council is justified.
I'd be surprised if there is much economic effect on the Highlands and Islands Geographical Area, nor on The Highland Council, nor the Western Isles Council.
And none on Highland & Islands Airports, who are not involved.
I

If you give the established, incumbent, fuel provider notice that he's no longer welcome or required and that you're going to do it yourself once you're set up, is it any surprise that he tells you to shove it, gives his notice and leaves?

Sir Niall Dementia
3rd Feb 2020, 10:59
If you give the established, incumbent, fuel provider notice that he's no longer welcome or required and that you're going to do it yourself once you're set up, is it any surprise that he tells you to shove it, gives his notice and leaves?

And from long experience of dealing with that man I must say he was always friendly, prompt and a good laugh, and more than once ran me to my hotel to save me waiting for a taxi. Oban is a regular stop for us as an owner spends a lot of time there, all the airport staff are good to deal with and it is a beautiful spot. The pilots here compete for those trips.

SND

ShyTorque
3rd Feb 2020, 12:26
And from long experience of dealing with that man I must say he was always friendly, prompt and a good laugh, and more than once ran me to my hotel to save me waiting for a taxi. Oban is a regular stop for us as an owner spends a lot of time there, all the airport staff are good to deal with and it is a beautiful spot. The pilots here compete for those trips.

SND

I totally agree with SND, my experience too.

Unfortunately, the upper management of this "airport" at the council seem to have little idea how to actually run it properly. Whenever I visited it seemed to me that there was long standing friction between the handling setup and the airport itself. Yet one without the other is next to useless.

Maoraigh1
3rd Feb 2020, 20:31
I agree with SND and others about the previous fuel supplier. I agree he was hassled by A&B. But I don't agree that A&B could do much better than they have done - assuming as rumoured that the self-service pump does become operational within 4 months.

OvertHawk
4th Feb 2020, 08:11
I agree with SND and others about the previous fuel supplier. I agree he was hassled by A&B. But I don't agree that A&B could do much better than they have done - assuming as rumoured that the self-service pump does become operational within 4 months.

They could have not hassled the previous provider and accepted that he provided a good service and left him to it rather than trying to be control freaks and bring it in house to try and make a few more quid (or more likely bolster someone's empire) when their performance in most other areas clearly suggested that it was likely to result in a c0@k up!?

gasax
4th Feb 2020, 17:56
If ABC were responsible for organising Christmas it would probably happen every leap year (generally) - at a cost significantly higher than that of holding it every year. They pretty much define incompetence. They are a classic example of low achievers, setting a low threshold and failing to met it!

If you are touring Scotland then Perth is probably the most welcoming base. Fuel is available in some of the Western isles - but at considerable cost due to the transport.

Many of the strips can organise Mogas and sometimes Avgas.

A Bulldog does not have long legs, so some careful planning may be necessary. The trick, as ever up here , is to ensure there is always a surfeit of fuel in the tanks - the weather has the potential of spoiling almost any day! The HIAL airports can be a pain to use but there is sometimes no choice.

It does need a bit planning and phoning etc - do it - its worth it!

Forfoxake
4th Feb 2020, 22:34
If ABC were responsible for organising Christmas it would probably happen every leap year (generally) - at a cost significantly higher than that of holding it every year. They pretty much define incompetence. They are a classic example of low achievers, setting a low threshold and failing to met it!

If you are touring Scotland then Perth is probably the most welcoming base. Fuel is available in some of the Western isles - but at considerable cost due to the transport.

Many of the strips can organise Mogas and sometimes Avgas.

A Bulldog does not have long legs, so some careful planning may be necessary. The trick, as ever up here , is to ensure there is always a surfeit of fuel in the tanks - the weather has the potential of spoiling almost any day! The HIAL airports can be a pain to use but there is sometimes no choice.

It does need a bit planning and phoning etc - do it - its worth it!

This probably explains why many of us up here fly planes that use unleaded petrol...

gasax
5th Feb 2020, 08:20
There is one new option which has probably not got into the guides - Dornoch. I know once again it is one the 'wrong' side of Scotland - but it is not a very wide country!
Hangar One FBO with an internet address of dornochhangar.scot are offering Avgas and overnight hangarage. Not used them and no connection - but another option.

Maoraigh1
5th Feb 2020, 20:25
Much too near my base to be of use to me, but a good suggestion for anyone coming from farther.

sharpend
18th Feb 2020, 18:43
Anyone got an update. Surely, given the importance of Oban, this will be sorted quickly.

Chuck Glider
18th Feb 2020, 19:09
Not too sure about the importance of Oban, self-importance perhaps, but it certainly used to be a nice place to visit, back before the council got involved and it was regularly voted as a favourite destination.

mustbeaboeing
18th Feb 2020, 21:49
I appreciate it is not an answer as such, but the NOTAM says “Until 31 March 2020” no fuel.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Feb 2020, 09:17
Not too sure about the importance of Oban, self-importance perhaps, but it certainly used to be a nice place to visit, back before the council got involved and it was regularly voted as a favourite destination.
Importance - it's the stopping off point on the mainland for both aeroplanes and boats heading into the islands. Historically it was a central point for obtaining fuel - which has obviously been buggered up, but doesn't change everything else.

Also a wonderful little town to spend time in, and if you have such interests base for the Scottish Association for Marine Science.

G

sharpend
19th Feb 2020, 10:16
Just spoke with Oban and was told nothing has changed and no idea when fuel will be available. I really cannot understand this. Is there some machiavellian plot going on? I was told today by Oban that 'A lot is going on'. The lady did not explain further.

helicopter-redeye
7th Mar 2020, 17:25
The best thing that could happen in the area would be for Glenforsa to hold 100LL ( depends if Brendan wants the trouble, but even pre positioning a few barrels would be better than nothing).

i haven’t looked this year but other places that carried 100LL were Prestwick/ Islay (small towable bowser)/ Stornaway/ Inverness/ Perth/ Plockton and Wick.

helipaddy have positioned barrels at various places for their adventures for a few years so this is possible. Andrew, at Wick, is a key POL supplier to the region. Surely something can be done if Paul is retiring

kui2324
9th Mar 2020, 19:37
Andrew, at Wick, is a key POL supplier to the region. Surely something can be done if Paul is retiring

Andy Bruce retired a few years ago from Wick.
Drew and Adrienne took over.

Maoraigh1
26th May 2020, 20:25
I can't add to Oban Glenforsa News thread.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52796907
Drone BVLS deliveries Oban Hospital - Craignure Hospital.
Notam is up to 400', only for 27/5 but presumably for longer, (eternity?).

overandout
15th Jun 2020, 10:37
Unfortunately we currently don’t have a timescale for when fuelling will be available at Oban, we are waiting on the contractor to start the ground works for the new tank, once this is in we will have a better idea of a timescale.

in reply to
my request for mid August

xrayalpha
16th Jun 2020, 07:00
Unfortunately we currently don’t have a timescale for when fuelling will be available at Oban, we are waiting on the contractor to start the ground works for the new tank, once this is in we will have a better idea of a timescale.

in reply to
my request for mid August

One despairs.

Spend millions of quid on an airport, and then can't afford to hire a bowser for e few months.

Of course, they can afford to hire a bowser - and send at least two people, maybe three to cover holidays - on the training course.

But there's the right way, the wrong way and the council way - which is the same as the wrong way but costs twice as much and takes twice as long, if it ever happens!

sharpend
14th Jul 2020, 09:37
As of 14 July still no fuel. Any updates?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
14th Jul 2020, 20:14
As of 14 July still no fuel. Any updates?

Sounds like Oban aren't really interested in selling AVGAS... No excuse not to be selling it by now, unless they've bought a fancy bowser that doesn't fit into the garage :E

Fostex
15th Jul 2020, 10:35
Where does G-HEBS (The O-540 powered BN Islander) get fuel, I thought it was based out of Oban?

Maoraigh1
15th Jul 2020, 18:33
The Scottish Covid-19 rules may have prevented the Avgas facility installation. In which case it should now be underway.
If the Council was financing it, it might be that it's not affordable in the present Covid-19 expenses situation.

longer ron
9th Aug 2020, 19:51
We had a walk around the area and up to Tralee Bay yesterday,spotted what appears to be a brand new Bowser parked just inside the Airfield Gate,probably cost the poor old Oban Tax Payer a couple of hundred quid (ahem).
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1124/img_0983_fedb59a15891aa74374fd3ec2655b474d9cdfeb7.jpg

sharpend
10th Aug 2020, 13:51
Oban Notam & website still saying no fuel: Both AVGAS 100LL and Jet A1 are unavailable at Oban Airport until further notice. Maybe that tanker was for a private aircraft.

Fostex
10th Aug 2020, 13:53
As I said earlier

"Where does G-HEBS (The O-540 powered BN Islander) get fuel, I thought it was based out of Oban?"

Maybe the tanker is for the Islander?

longer ron
10th Aug 2020, 14:43
Oban Notam & website still saying no fuel: Both AVGAS 100LL and Jet A1 are unavailable at Oban Airport until further notice. Maybe that tanker was for a private aircraft.

I am assuming that the Bowser is a very recent arrival and perhaps not 'commissioned' yet,also possibly still nobody qualified to operate the refuelling ?
I never said fuel was available - just that there is a new bowser on the Airfield.

As I said earlier

"Where does G-HEBS (The O-540 powered BN Islander) get fuel, I thought it was based out of Oban?"

Maybe the tanker is for the Islander?

What I assume is the 'old' Bowser appears to be parked over near the Islander Hangar.

Maoraigh1
21st Jun 2021, 12:30
From Scottish Aero Club Newsletter.
AVGAS Available - Oban & The Isles Airports (http://obanandtheislesairports.com/avgas-available/)

ShyTorque
21st Jun 2021, 13:28
Still no Jet A1?