PDA

View Full Version : Delta gives out 2 months pay bonus

oriental flyer
21st Jan 2020, 22:43
Delta has announced that 90,000 staff will receive a bonus representing 2 months salary in a 1.6 billion handout to be paid on Valentine’s Day
The only employees excluded form the profit-sharing plan are the company's officers, directors and general managers, although they are set to receive their own performance-based bonuses.
senior pilots will receive USD $42,000 plus

The CEO stated that Delta would be nothing without our 90,000 people they deserve all the credit

Jnr380
21st Jan 2020, 23:15
Yet the 30,000 employees of Cathay are all a burden and should be lucky they’re even getting paid for working at such a great company.

tdracer
21st Jan 2020, 23:51
This is why most Delta employees are not represented by a union. They believe the company will do right by them, so why bother paying union dues...

Natca
22nd Jan 2020, 00:20
This is why most Delta employees are not represented by a union. They believe the company will do right by them, so why bother paying union dues...

Pilots are alpa and the cabin crew afa.... please stick with facts. Gerogia is a right to work state aswell for the office staff.

Andyh009
22nd Jan 2020, 01:09
I wonder if Virgin Atlantic staff will Also be getting a Bonus since they are owned by Delta.

tdracer
22nd Jan 2020, 01:18
Pilots are alpa and the cabin crew afa.... please stick with facts. Gerogia is a right to work state aswell for the office staff.
If you want to argue facts, the FACT is that well under half of the Delta employees belong to a union...
Most pilots belong to ALPA, after that the percentage drops rapidly.

bafanguy
22nd Jan 2020, 09:20
The F/As are not represented by a union although there's an effort underway to change that; two previous attempts have failed. We'll see how this one goes. And the dispatchers are unionized too unless something has changed in my absence.

The pilots are ALPA with, as far as I know, agency shop but I don't know how many aren't full, card-carrying ALPA members. I'd guess very few.

Frogman1484
22nd Jan 2020, 12:19
That is from the money Boeing paid Delta for the 737 max compensation...Cx does not get compensation, they just pay fines 😂

bafanguy
22nd Jan 2020, 12:26
That is from the money Boeing paid Delta for the 737 max compensation...Cx does not get compensation, they just pay fines 😂

"Delta Air Lines is the only major US carrier without a 737 Max in its fleet."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/investing/delta-earnings/index.html

MichaelKPIT
22nd Jan 2020, 17:32
Pilots are alpa and the cabin crew afa.... please stick with facts.

The "facts" are that DL cabin crew are NOT afa - they are not ANY union.

Spooky 2
22nd Jan 2020, 18:31

Amazing the misinformation some people post as being factual. NOT TRUE and that is a fact!

Sqwak7700
22nd Jan 2020, 23:48
Delta has approximately 90,000 employees and 908 aircraft in the mainline fleet. That’s 99.1 employees per aircraft.

Cathay, as of 2018 financial reports, has 33,000 employees and 194 aircraft. That’s 170 employees per aircraft.

No wonder the bonus is what it is. And at Delta, you are actually well supported to do the task at hand, with dispatchers and full time, 24x7 support. Unlike Cathay, without dispatchers or any useful assistance outside office hours.

And this is after Cathay shed about 600 employees in 2017. How can an airline dispose of 600 employees? Because none of them were frontline staff that actually contribute to the bottom line. Not only did we not fire pilots or cabin crew during that restructuring, we actually kept recruiting!

This is why any initiatives like computer rostering and EFB are destined to fail at Cathay. We overpopulate these programs with useless full-time desk jockeys that double automation tasks instead of reaping the savings and efficiencies they offer.

Take every department in Cathay city and slash it in half and the airline would not know the difference. Then you would not need to worry about finding space for things. Instead, these geniuses move crew mailboxes to the opposite side of the building where you sign on for duties, and populate dispatch with desks that sit empty during the evening push.

Some departments, like crew operations and fuel hedging, you could outright get rid off completely and the airline would be better off.

fmotels
23rd Jan 2020, 04:00
Delta use a huge amount of part time staff which inst represented in the staffing numbers. They call it reserve ready with a maximum amount of hours available.
These staff don't qualify for the medical and leave benefits of full time staff and make the headcount vs Revenue numbers look better.

positionalpor
23rd Jan 2020, 04:58
Sqwak,
agree 100%

cxorcist
23rd Jan 2020, 14:02
Sqwak,

While I agree with the central theme of your post about excess staff, I think you have to factor in economies of scale in a 900 aircraft operation vs CX. Also, CX operates all widebody aircraft internationally and an extensive cargo network, Delta is mainly narrowbodies on a domestic network with a much smaller number of widebodies doing international flying. In my mind, there is no question DL is the very best US carrier, but comparing it to CX is apples and oranges.

Pickuptruck
4th Feb 2020, 02:22
The joke here is that back when the us carriers were going down the ****ter they raided the provident funds of their employees. Ask any of the sim instructors who were forced to join CX when 2/3 of their retirement pension disappeared. Though this is Pprune and the grass is always greener somewhere else......

DropKnee
4th Feb 2020, 06:04
The joke here is that back when the us carriers were going down the ****ter they raided the provident funds of their employees. Ask any of the sim instructors who were forced to join CX when 2/3 of their retirement pension disappeared. Though this is Pprune and the grass is always greener somewhere else......
Fret not, CX will come for you if needed.