PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Indian ATPL(H) to FAA ATPL(H)

xeopskzu
17th Jan 2020, 14:01
Hello!
I am a holder of an Indian ATPL(H) and wish to convert it to an FAA ATPL(H). I have no immediate plans to pick up a job in the US (I do not have a green card or work visa; neither do I have a job offer from an American company) but feel it might come in handy after some time. Should I look for options after a couple of years, at least I'll have a licence to show and won't be running around then. I have a few thousand hours of flying experience with half of it as command hours (so a few thousand less), hence flying experience will not be an issue.
Can anybody guide me on the rules (which exams to pass, whether I have to attend some mandatory classroom training etc), quantum of flying required, costs involved, and recommend any reliable flight schools which can do it efficiently? I am employed, so have to manage it in my break time (one preferably, since more trips means more expense on flight tickets to and fro!!)

Thanks in advance.

GoodGrief
17th Jan 2020, 14:39
Start here:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-61/subpart-G

xeopskzu
17th Jan 2020, 14:44
Thanks! I saw through that, but didn't find anything about conversion of a foreign (ICAO contracting state's) licence. Did I miss something? If I get no relaxation in the requirements, it may not be worth the time and effort! That's the reason for my asking.

Gordy
17th Jan 2020, 17:48
Thanks! I saw through that, but didn't find anything about conversion of a foreign (ICAO contracting state's) licence. Did I miss something? If I get no relaxation in the requirements, it may not be worth the time and effort! That's the reason for my asking.
You cannot convert. You can get a private certificate based upon a foreign certificate, but after that you will have to take the same written test and flight test as initial US applicants.

gulliBell
17th Jan 2020, 20:04
To get the FAA ATP for helicopter is straight forward. Meet the aeronautical experience requirements (the stumbling block for many is the 100 night hours). Pass the knowledge test within 24 months of the practical test (multi-choice answer type). Pass the flight medical. Meet the English language standard. Take a flight test (which also includes an oral test). It's all spelled out in the Practical Test Standards.

tottigol
18th Jan 2020, 22:47
To get the FAA ATP for helicopter is straight forward. Meet the aeronautical experience requirements (the stumbling block for many is the 100 night hours). Pass the knowledge test within 24 months of the practical test (multi-choice answer type). Pass the flight medical. Meet the English language standard. Take a flight test (which also includes an oral test). It's all spelled out in the Practical Test Standards.
I think it's actually "pass the practical test within 24 months of the knowledge test".
The Class 1 medical is required to exercise the privileges of an ATP certificate and is not needed if testing in a simulator used within an approved Part 142 training program.

gulliBell
19th Jan 2020, 02:08
I think it's actually "pass the practical test within 24 months of the knowledge test".
The Class 1 medical is required to exercise the privileges of an ATP certificate and is not needed if testing in a simulator used within an approved Part 142 training program.
Nope...what it says is "have passed the appropriate airline transport pilot knowledge test within 24 months before the date of the practical test". But yeah, has the same affect either way.

pilotmike
19th Jan 2020, 07:42
Tis reminds me of the 3 helicopter pilots whose hearing had become impaired:

1st helicopter pilot: "Isn't it windy today!"

2nd helicopter pilot: "No, I think it's Thursday."

3rd helicopter pilot: "So am I, let's go and have a beer."

.... However, to settle the argument, the bit where it sayshave passed the appropriate airline transport pilot knowledge test within 24 months before the date of the practical test ... so it is NOT "the same effect either way". Clearly the wording states unambiguously that the theory test must be passed before the practical test.

Heliringer
19th Jan 2020, 09:45
Is there much work around for an FAA ATPL H outside the US?

gulliBell
19th Jan 2020, 10:00
.... However, to settle the argument, the bit where it says ... so it is NOT "the same effect either way". Clearly the wording states unambiguously that the theory test must be passed before the practical test.

But that was never the argument, there was nothing to settle. You've misunderstood what was said. It was always self-evident that the written had to come before the practical, nobody here said any different.

gulliBell
19th Jan 2020, 10:12
Is there much work around for an FAA ATPL H outside the US?

Saudi Aramco. But as far as I know, they have low turn-over. Certainly when I was there the turn-over was low.

pilotmike
19th Jan 2020, 16:51
You've misunderstood what was said. It was always self-evident that the written had to come before the practical, nobody here said any different.
Whatever you wish to believe, gulliBell - whatever!

What you actually wrote was Pass the knowledge test within 24 months of the practical test By leaving out the word 'before', anyone who can "Meet the English language standard" will obviously interpret what you wrote to be starting the practical test is taken first, then the knowledge test afterwards. And that is exactly why 'tottigol' corrected what you wrote - don't take it so personally!

I didn't misunderstand anything you said, as you wrongly state; neither did tottigol; nor has everyone else. It is just you who doesn't understand the effect of leaving out the crucial word 'before'. However, I'm sure you'll be back to argue the toss some more to have the last word, as usual, rather than graciously accept that you caused confusion by what you wrote, albeit unintentionally.

Old Farang
23rd Jan 2020, 11:51
Whatever you wish to believe, gulliBell - whatever![/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
Ha, give him a break Pilotmike, he is actually a gud bloke. You know, one of those Kiwis that sometimes serve fush and chups at a weeding! Cheers.

gulliBell
23rd Jan 2020, 13:34
Well, remind me of any jurisdiction in the world that lets you take a flight test before passing the written test. It is blindingly self evident that is the order of things, however one might interpret "within" without having said "before", and there was no confusion expressed here by anybody about that.

And let me point out pilotmike before you jumped in at post #8, I had said everything that needed to be said to address the OP question in post #7. Which was word-for-word taken from the PTS.