PDA

View Full Version : Recency opportunities SE QLD

Chipsandgravy
15th Jan 2020, 05:48
Hi all. A bit of assistance if anyone has the time to help.
I finally received my CASA ATPL (on top of 4000 hrs Military Transport ME) but am not hearing back from any of the major airlines I've applied for. I've heard from insiders that recruitment may not begin until the middle of the year. That will leave me about a year since leaving the military so my lack of recency may well become an issue.

I'm after advice on how best to get regular flying hours, utilising CPL or ATPL, ideally in the Brisbane-ish area. I'm not worried about money, just a basic job that can tide me over until (hopefully) an airline comes calling. I've looked at Skydive Australia and other employers but without specific Type Ratings, I assume it's a bit tricky to find anything.

Thanks for your time, all advice/ abuse is helpful! Fly Safe!

C&G

belongamick
15th Jan 2020, 08:15
GAM. Drop in, they are out at the GA area of Brissie airport.

Chipsandgravy
15th Jan 2020, 08:19
Thanks belongamick, I'll do that tomorrow. Do you work for them or is this a guess that they might have something?

Many thanks,

C&G

knackered IV
15th Jan 2020, 12:20
Those airlines may not come calling if they feel you're not serious about maintaining a serious interest in aviation but just waiting for them to call. Go to where the jobs are, it will sit well on your resume. If it's only 6 months it's no big sacrifice.

Upgraded
15th Jan 2020, 18:49
For some reason based on my observations it is almost impossible to get an airline job if you aren’t currently employed in a flying role. Don’t really know why and it’s not written anywhere I have seen. More anecdotal than anything.

With your considerable experience I would be trying to get a flying job anywhere (AFAP Jobs website?) and that may mean leaving the SE-QLD area. You will then update your applications and probably find the process a lot smoother. Good luck.

junior.VH-LFA
15th Jan 2020, 22:49
Have a look at RFDS, they seem to be interested in Mil types with ME experience lately.

Chipsandgravy
15th Jan 2020, 23:56
Thanks for your thoughts.
I’m certainly not committing myself to SE QLD when it comes to airline jobs, I was just hoping to find some GA work around my area to keep current and relevant. It seems I once again have to amend my hopes and expectations. I have a few contacts in recruitment for a few big airlines and I was only hearing very encouraging things, unfortunately after navigating the CASA requirements, all recruitment has dried up.
Ideally I’d find some hours building opportunities around Brisbane to keep me current until the airlines begin recruitment again but obviously I’m aware that the market has gone cold so beggars can’t be choosers!

I agree that the system in Aus is all set up to employ people who are already in a job- huge hold files and a very slow recruitment process from start to finish! Timing is everything and my luck has run out at the mo!

The name is Porter
16th Jan 2020, 01:28
I have a few contacts in recruitment for a few big airlines and I was only hearing very encouraging things.

Did you forget to submit your Space Shuttle time? You may have to fill out an FAA Verification of Space Shuttle time, that should see you qualify for right seat SAAB, DHC8 or ATR.

It seems I once again have to amend my hopes and expectations.

The Australian airlines are yet to amend their hopes and expectations. Your are obviously extremely well qualified. Good Luck!

Global Aviator
16th Jan 2020, 03:55
Without being shot down as there is an entire thread on the US.....

However have you thought about US regionals while awaiting your Aussie airline hopes?

Certainly not near SE QLD though!!!

geeup
16th Jan 2020, 20:32
Hundreds of unemployed pilots about this time of year use to make the journey to Kununurra with hope of employment in the dry season.

Could be worth a look.