PDA

View Full Version : Xolair / Omalizumab / Cholinergic urticaria?

project.pilot
15th Jan 2020, 00:40
Good night

Not long ago I was diagnosed with cholinergic urticaria. I'm currently taking 300 mg Omalizumab every month + 10 mg of non-sedant antihistamines daily. No side-effects for me. This allows me to do normal life without any hives, except for some types of physical exercise.

My urticaria seems to be under control. Plus, in 2020, so far, I haven't had any flare up even though I have been exercising. It's very unlikely that I will ever suffer this in a cockpit, since stressful moments don't trigger urticaria for me. Plus, if, for any reason, I had a flare up while flying, it would be a momentary flare up of about 2-3 minutes of just uncomfortable hives, which wouldn't impede me from focusing on flying (the same way it doesn't impede me from focusing on driving) .

I want to stress that I have never had angioedema or any other symptom apart from discomfort from the hives, which, thanks to the medication, I only suffer from time to time.

Anybody in the same condition? What happened to your Class 1 Medical? PM please

Radgirl
16th Jan 2020, 10:37
You would not be considered eligible for this drug with the symptoms you describe in many countries including the UK. In addition the drug is only given for a specific period not continually. You will in any case need to declare the drug at renewal / initial even if you have discontinued it and of course if you already have any medical your medical is invalid until you declare it and get specific feedback from your AME. I suspect they will ask questions and it may not be easy

Sorry not be have better news

project.pilot
16th Jan 2020, 10:43
You would not be considered eligible for this drug with the symptoms you describe in many countries including the UK. In addition the drug is only given for a specific period not continually. You will in any case need to declare the drug at renewal / initial even if you have discontinued it and of course if you already have any medical your medical is invalid until you declare it and get specific feedback from your AME. I suspect they will ask questions and it may not be easy

Sorry not be have better news

Thanks for the answer. Can that urticaria prevent me from obtaining Class 1 medical even if I didn't take any drugs and prevented if with physical exercise? I'm not from the UK