PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to the first HIV Commercial pilot

NutLoose
13th Jan 2020, 15:45
Flies with Logan air, well done..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/hiv-positive-man-makes-history-as-first-ever-in-europe-to-take-to-the-air-as-a-pilot/ar-BBYTWS3

VinRouge
13th Jan 2020, 17:45
Genuine question, how have the side effects of ARVs been mitigated? Mindful (no pun intended) that medication required for other health issues meets with a flat outright “No”, curious to see how this has passed the mark.

massive congrats to the individual involved and those whom he has set an example for going forwards. Not much mention of the previous Caa objections (ARV side effects) though. Would this necessitate OML?

Ancient Observer
14th Jan 2020, 17:54
I hope the individual does well.
The "heart attack" worry was always wrong , as survival increased.
So is the aids worry.

BizJetJock
17th Jan 2020, 14:28
Nonsense story, I'm afraid. I was flying with an EASA licensed HIV+ pilot over five years ago, so he's definitely not the first in Europe. Maybe the first to get the CAA to catch up with the rest of the world...

FlyboyUK
17th Jan 2020, 14:45
I think this case is about being prevented from gaining an initial class 1 so therefore he couldn't commence training and the balance of unfairness that allowed a current class 1 holder who became HIV+ to continue flying. Anyway great to see sense prevail in the end.