PDA

View Full Version : UK -Tunisia

davidjohnson6
11th Jan 2020, 04:58
It seems that summer 2020 will see significantly more flights on UK-Tunisia which are holiday-centric than summer 2019

I understand that the UK Govt has made clear Sharm El Sheikh is now an acceptable risk which accounts for the increase in Egypt holiday flights, but what has triggered the increase to Tunisia ? Is it that airlines are feeling a little braver than 2019 ? I had thought the demise of Thomas Cook would lead to plentiful opportunities for airlines to fly on low risk established routes to Spain and Greece...

Rutan16
11th Jan 2020, 08:23
David.
Do you think its money at all ?

In the pre season accommodation bidding, the Tunis tourist authorities have ensured rates and availability are certainly more beneficial to the tour operators bottom line than might be achievable in say Spain- a market now so fragmented by flexible fares consolidators and the hotels click per view web site businesses .

Especially so for the traditional package tour companies taking advantage to grow their business portfolios .

Tunisia has been a popular and exotic destination for Brits since the sixties . Oh and much of the time the general public forget and indeed a significant portion remain in a perpetual state of ignorant bliss of past criminal activity.

Combined with favourably priced packages peop’s can be persuaded to quickly return to many markets ,its happened many times.

From a business point of view thats a perfect cocktail and recipe to make rather quick money and margin .

Hence the gradual ramp up of flights to serve the package businesses.

Interestingly through Tunisair’s commercial services to the capital aren’t doing so well indeed they have completely mismanaged their London operations.

Enfidha and Monastir, along with the island of Djerba are the holiday airports of choice, Tunis rather less so

Don't think its rocket science myself.

AirportPlanner1
11th Jan 2020, 09:45
Rutan - I was with you until the end. Tunis has always been served, more of a business/diplomatic/migrant route along with a few tourists and tour groups. I’m not sure anyone has ever seen it as a link to the beaches.

A bit like saying why bother flying to Zagreb which doesn’t do so well compared to Dubrovnik/Split etc

Rutan16
11th Jan 2020, 10:22
Rutan - I was with you until the end. Tunis has always been served, more of a business/diplomatic/migrant route along with a few tourists and tour groups. I’m not sure anyone has ever seen it as a link to the beaches.

A bit like saying why bother flying to Zagreb which doesn’t do so well compared to Dubrovnik/Split etc

Not disputed on the Tunis front AirportPlanner indeed part of Tunisairs problems stem from that.

A mention of their woes is important through.

From other markets particularly France and Germany Tunisair remain very active from the beaches yet haven’t yet taken the march back to the UK .

Competitor Nouvelair have through -they will be operating some of the charters from UK regionals in the coming season.

davidjohnson6
11th Jan 2020, 11:31
The question is why there is a significant increase in flights in summer 2020 when 2019 had relatively few flights.

Thomas Cook have disappeared so prices to Spain/Greece should increas, Tunisia has caused tour operators problems and Sharm El Sheikh is now open again for Brits

So why the sudden increase in Tunisia flights for S20 ?

Rutan16
11th Jan 2020, 12:17
As I said Tunisian Tourism board marketing cheap prices for the tour operators and by definition improved margins and historical rather a healthy UK market .

Doesn’t seem difficult to understand to me.

Just look at the Croatian and Montenegro coast growth, a market of huge growth to figures not seen since Tito’s Yugoslavia now the area is settled peaceful and again cheap.

That said the Euro exchange rates may now also favour Tunisia at the moment particularly among very budget conscious travellers as well.

AirportPlanner1
11th Jan 2020, 16:55
So why the sudden increase in Tunisia flights for S20 ?

Brexit. People still want their sun but it’s probable EU Europe will become even more expensive

Rutan16
11th Jan 2020, 17:44
Brexit. People still want their sun but it’s probable EU Europe will become even more expensive
This is so true even more so if the € starts trading at negative £ via some the cheating foreign exchange brokers !

(After their hidden and not so hidden charges such as average £7.50 delivery charge and in some cases minimum orders of £300 +)

Right now its about average of just €106 per £100 in your hand via these thieves.

Still thats a tangent to this thread i suppose