PDA

View Full Version : Birdsville Races

OZAZTEC
11th Aug 2002, 01:11
Birdsville is fast aproaching 6/7 September and am thinking of taking the Aztruck for the jaunt if I can find some pax. :eek:

Any one got some stories, experiences or advice on this epic trip? Is it worth the 3/4 days of sleeping on the dirt?:rolleyes:

Mainframe
11th Aug 2002, 14:10
Oz, go for it, it's the blokiest weekend you can have. The races are great, do go to them as well. A little bit of VB is consumed each night and a backhoe is used to clear the street in the morning as they are nearly 1/2 metre high everywhere. The desert is not only hot during the day, but very cold at night, so besides sleeping on rocks (need a thick swag) you'll probably be freezing all night. Expect CASA at nearby enroute refuelling stops, just helping you by making sure you're not overweight and everythings in order (i.e. Ramp Checks can be expected, not where you think, at Birdsville, but where you didn't think, Charleville etc.). If Brophy's Boxing tent is still operating it's also an absolute must. Hope you enjoy as much as every one else usually does. :cool:

SuPeRcHaRgEd
12th Aug 2002, 04:14
If you're still trying to fill an aircraft I'd recommend that you collect a large portion of the cost share amount as deposit from your passengers as early as possible. I have had to cancel two Birdsville trips because at the last minute passengers that were all too keen a couple of months ago at first mention of the trip then suddenly make excuses about finding that sort of money, or something else comes up etc.
I'd make it clear to them that its a non refundable deposit so they can't back out at the last minute leaving the remaining passengers to foot the bill for their vacant seat.:p

OZAZTEC
12th Aug 2002, 10:36
Thanks Main and Super

Point taken re CASA and Pax.

Have got 2 confirmed pax so will be making the trip- and looking forward to it. Stopping o/nite at Broken Hill on way up.

Any other Ppruners going - Meet in the Pub ?

DFB
21st Aug 2002, 05:23
See you there OZAZTEC

I'm bringing up a C-172 from Adelaide, although from what I can tell good luck meeting in the pub!!!!!!

badarse
24th Aug 2002, 20:58
Did the Birdsville thing a few years ago. Tarp over the wing. 4 sleeping bags lined up under the tarp.
After the races returned to find that my sleeping bag had been stolen. The desert is no place to spend the night without a sleeping bag.

Lock everything up.

Tinstaafl
25th Aug 2002, 01:23
Yeah, keep stuff locked in the a/c when you're away from it.

Not always a good idea to spread the tarp over the wing. Get a decent breeze & the tarp's movement can scratch the paint.

Order your fuel as soon as you get there. The bloke runs flat chat all weekend with frequent pauses to refuel the tanker. Bear in mind that it's drum fuel that get put in the truck then sold by the litre to you. Be cautious about your quality/H2O checks.

Also plan your refuel points to allow you to tanker the maximum amount INTO Birdsville. It can be a damn sight cheaper!!

A camping mattress is a must. The gibber stones are not fun to sleep on, even after digging out the large ones. Also the ground gets bloody chilly.

Don't forget a spare pair of footware. I managed to have someone step on the heel of one of my shoes causing it to come off. Never found the damn thing again.

Wasn't too bad because I found a thong someone chucked away when the strap broke. A bit of bailing twine later & I was no longer single footwared. Best thing was that I found the thong's mate a bit later!!:D

Make sure you do a good landing in case the judging committee is sitting with their eskies at the threshold holding up score cards for each landing... (my scores were all 9's...:p )

Big Dog 2
26th Aug 2002, 10:32
I had great fun in about 87 I took an Arrow up with a friend in a 172 from EN, 7 guys, we made a week of it and stoped at Broken Hill Innaminca Birdsville, Alice, Ayers Rock Andomoka.
Do they still have Brofies Boxing Tent?.
I suggest you take your own Fuel pump I know its cumbersome
But you buy a Drum Off the guy and Refuel your A/C and Find some one to Share what you dont need, before you buy it. I know it was a pain when we were there beause you had to wait at he A/c For the refueler.
Take A 10ft length of 1/4 clear plastic hose and you can use it to check the amount of fuel in the drum.
Nothing like walking down the main st knee deep in Green cans and at the end of the day they just scoop them up with a frontend loder.Hope you have a great time.

eggs
27th Aug 2002, 05:17
Boys and girls the fuel at Birdsville is now bulk at the new bowser.
Still costs a fortune but no waiting for the truck to come around, fill up as you land .....and pay the laning charges

A good weekend!!