PDA

View Full Version : European short haul Captain emigrating to US. Best Jobs?

Polorutz
10th Jan 2020, 15:24
Hello Guys and Gals,

I’m an A320 rated captain in Europe. Have over 7000TT, Circa 6500 A320 3000+ PIC.

Also have A320 TRI with 3 years experience. No 4 year degree however.

I’m going to be emigrating into the US market for family reasons and I’m trying to gauge what kind of options are available for someone like me.

I will be able to live and work in the US and I plan to convert my EASA ATPL and possibly get an A320 TR to be able to instruct in the simulator if that is an option.

I would be open to going back to FO as well. What kind of options would someone with my profile have in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

MarkerInbound
10th Jan 2020, 16:43
You could probably go straight to a LCC. You will have to go back to FO. FAA regulations require 1000 hours of experience in US airline operations before you can upgrade to PIC.

The Range
10th Jan 2020, 19:13
Jetblue, Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier

misd-agin
10th Jan 2020, 21:35
Don't be too proud and turn down a regional airline job. That's the most common path to the major airlines if you don't get hired by one of the airlines The Range mentioned. Other than missing a 4 yr degree your resume is right in the middle of the pack so your competitive except for no U.S. experience.

Kilogram
18th Jan 2020, 17:58
I'm on a similar boat, considering a move to the US. I don't have any Turbine PIC experience but have about 3000hrs on the A320 and 4500 total.
I'm considering a 135 operator flying Cessna 402's because it will allow me to sleep home every night (and other conditions that just seem ideal until family adjusts to transition). Final goal would be of course a major or an LCC but I wouldn't have a type rating on my FAA ATP. I do have a 4 year degree. Would I have a shot at a major or LCC after building about 1000hrs PIC on a light twin flying Part 135? Or maybe could I qualify for a DEC at one of the regionals that offer such opportunities?

Thanks in advance!

kg

Banana Joe
18th Jan 2020, 19:54
You haven't been a CFI? Oh you don't want to pay your dues?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

havick
19th Jan 2020, 01:43
I'm on a similar boat, considering a move to the US. I don't have any Turbine PIC experience but have about 3000hrs on the A320 and 4500 total.
I'm considering a 135 operator flying Cessna 402's because it will allow me to sleep home every night (and other conditions that just seem ideal until family adjusts to transition). Final goal would be of course a major or an LCC but I wouldn't have a type rating on my FAA ATP. I do have a 4 year degree. Would I have a shot at a major or LCC after building about 1000hrs PIC on a light twin flying Part 135? Or maybe could I qualify for a DEC at one of the regionals that offer such opportunities?

Thanks in advance!

kg

Maybe, maybe not. Most legacy/LCC’s tend to like to see some FAA part 121 time. That being said the massive hiring wave starting this year, will change the dynamics significantly 2-3 years from now.

So really it’s hard for anyone to give any solid advice as the market is changing so much.

bafanguy
19th Jan 2020, 19:56

Kilo,

You didn't mention the country from which you'd be coming or your nationality (I assume you're not an Aussie) but you must already have legal ability to live/work here so you've cleared the major hurdle.

As for being legally able to be a DEC at a regional, you'd have to run that potential Part 135 piston PIC time through the filter of FAR Part 121.436 to see if you'd legally meet the FAA criteria to be a DEC in a Part 121 operation:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436

The other consideration would be whether a regional would take you on as a DEC under the path you're considering even if you legally meet the FAA criteria to be one. Perhaps your previous large airplane time would be a positive factor in the minds of your target regional. And you won't need any type ratings on your FAA ATP as any carrier you'd work for here will provide type trainings.

In any event, best of luck with your plans. Let us know how it goes for you.

Kilogram
20th Jan 2020, 01:57
Kilo,

You didn't mention the country from which you'd be coming or your nationality (I assume you're not an Aussie) but you must already have legal ability to live/work here so you've cleared the major hurdle.

As for being legally able to be a DEC at a regional, you'd have to run that potential Part 135 piston PIC time through the filter of FAR Part 121.436 to see if you'd legally meet the FAA criteria to be a DEC in a Part 121 operation:

The other consideration would be whether a regional would take you on as a DEC under the path you're considering even if you legally meet the FAA criteria to be one. Perhaps your previous large airplane time would be a positive factor in the minds of your target regional. And you won't need any type ratings on your FAA ATP as any carrier you'd work for here will provide type trainings.

In any event, best of luck with your plans. Let us know how it goes for you.

Hey thanks for you thorough response. Yes, I'm not Australian. Looking at the regs, it looks like if I go on with this particular 135 operator and build 1000hrs PIC, I may just meet the minimum requirement for a DEC entry at a regional. However, you make a good point that my lack of US 121 time may not make me a candidate for it. I guess only way to figure out is by giving it shot. I also hear Spirit hires 320 guys from overseas (with the right to work in the US of course) without any US airline experience. I'm wondering if it's true and if getting the 135 first and flying there 1-2 years would hinder my chances with Spirit since I would be not current on the 320 by the time I apply. Anyways, many things to chew on.
thanks again Bafan.
I'll let you guys know what path I take

kg

misd-agin
20th Jan 2020, 01:59

Thanks in advance!

kg

AFAIK you need 1,000 hrs Part 121 time to upgrade at a regional flying 121. The guys getting hired at the majors mostly have at least 500 hrs 121 PIC. Not everyone does but there's always outliers. Building your resume by choosing the outlier path ("I'll be the guy that is the exception...") can be hard road in life.

Would you have a chance with some Part 135 PIC time? Perhaps. You'd have 5500 TT, 3000 hrs 320, and 1000 hrs not 121 PIC. That's 1.5 yrs down the road? Go to a U.S. regional and in 2.5 yrs you'd probably have 500 hrs 121 PIC. The AA regional carriers have an expected 'flow' in 5-7 years (speaking with a former flow guy).

How old are you? Choosing the AA regional gives you a guaranteed job at AA in approx. 5-7 yrs. Going to the regional makes you the typical non military new hire in about 3 yrs. Going to the Part 135 job makes you the typical.....nope, not many guys are on that path to the majors.

Kilogram
20th Jan 2020, 22:10
AFAIK you need 1,000 hrs Part 121 time to upgrade at a regional flying 121. The guys getting hired at the majors mostly have at least 500 hrs 121 PIC. Not everyone does but there's always outliers. Building your resume by choosing the outlier path ("I'll be the guy that is the exception...") can be hard road in life.

Would you have a chance with some Part 135 PIC time? Perhaps. You'd have 5500 TT, 3000 hrs 320, and 1000 hrs not 121 PIC. That's 1.5 yrs down the road? Go to a U.S. regional and in 2.5 yrs you'd probably have 500 hrs 121 PIC. The AA regional carriers have an expected 'flow' in 5-7 years (speaking with a former flow guy).

How old are you? Choosing the AA regional gives you a guaranteed job at AA in approx. 5-7 yrs. Going to the regional makes you the typical non military new hire in about 3 yrs. Going to the Part 135 job makes you the typical.....nope, not many guys are on that path to the majors.

Thanks misd and bafanguy for your thorough responses. I understand that taking the typical path will likely lead to a major while going 135 may not even lead to an interview. Evidently not going to the 135 for career progression, there are other factors that are influencing my decision as I move my family and myself to the US. I understand that even if I build the 1000 hrs of 135 time that comply with the regulation to get as a DEC, I may not get a shot as I would have 0hrs FAA 121 experience. I was just trying to gauge my options would be at that point. I probably will go for the 135 but considering not waiting for the 1000hrs pic there and moving as soon as family is settled and we can afford taking another pay-cut. I'm going to check the AA regionals, I've heard about the flow. I'm just around 30, so I'd have quite a bit of people ahead of me by the time and if I flow to AA. I will also give Spirit a shot, maybe my 320 experience would make me a candidate as I hear they hired some former Avianca guys (with right to live in the US) after they got fired for the strike in 2018 (not sure if this is only a rumor).

Thanks again

bafanguy
21st Jan 2020, 20:21
...it looks like if I go on with this particular 135 operator and build 1000hrs PIC, I may just meet the minimum requirement for a DEC entry at a regional. However, you make a good point that my lack of US 121 time may not make me a candidate for it. I also hear Spirit hires 320 guys from overseas (with the right to work in the US of course) without any US airline experience. I'm wondering if it's true and if getting the 135 first and flying there 1-2 years would hinder my chances with Spirit since I would be not current on the 320 by the time I apply.

kilo,

I'm sure no legal eagle nor can I outguess what the HR people think and do (don't get me started on that). My guess is that your A320 experience may offset a lack of FAA Part 121 experience if the Part 135 PIC will meet the requirements of Part 121.436 allowing you to act as PIC in a Part 121 regional...perhaps after a very brief stint as F/O ? Who knows...

MarkerInbound is pretty knowledgeable so maybe he can step in again with some thoughts on the Part 135 vs no Part 121 time at a regional for DEC purposes. I do agree with him that you certainly should apply to Spirit, Frontier, JetBlue, etc. (and everybody else too as soon as you get here to live) where the lack of Part 121 time will be overshadowed by your considerable A320 experience. When these airlines hire people directly out of the military, those pilots have no Part 121 experience. Time in type isn't required at any of these airlines like it is in other places in the world. You're a proven entity in the airline game.

Overall, your large airplane experience is a big plus. You don't need an A320 type rating on your FAA ATP nor do you need to be current in it to be in the running for Spirit or similar airline. They'd make you go through school on the A320 as if you'd never set foot on one.

Hang in there ! :ok:

MarkerInbound
23rd Jan 2020, 00:28
I’m a regulation guy, not a hiring expert. That being said, like bafanguy said the 135 time would meet the regulatory requirement but who knows what the airlines will be looking for in a couple years. While some of the regionals are doing direct entry Captains, I don’t know of any of the LLCs doin that.

The other thing is seniority at a US airline is everything. Controls what base you get, what trips you get, when you get vacation, when you can transition to another aircraft if the air airline runs multiple types, everything. While in theory you could slide in as a DEC, you’d be the junior Captain on the list for several years as all those pilots who gained the 1000 hours with that airline upgraded and moved ahead of you on the Captain list. It comes down to, when do you want to embrace the suck?