PDA

View Full Version : Canada PM Statement - Iranian SAM Shot Down Ukrainian B737

RAFEngO74to09
9th Jan 2020, 18:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_odQTFLhrk4

Multiple US defense "sources" stated the same all morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzQ30X8COY

RAFEngO74to09
9th Jan 2020, 19:04
Pentagon "sources" - based on satellite imagery and intercepts - believe SA-15 used.

BluSdUp
9th Jan 2020, 20:39
I have been watching this madness from the sideline, and as sad as it is, it is good to see that the CFM 56 has not decided to start self detonating after two billion flight hrs.
There is not much that can bring an 737-800 down.
But two missiles would suffice.

This Ladys and Gents is what happens when You play with fire.
Regards
Cpt B

PS!
I never like it when I am tracked by military acquisition radar, we can see it on the weather radar you know!
So quit doing that , please!
DS

meleagertoo
9th Jan 2020, 22:13
I never like it when I am tracked by military acquisition radar, we can see it on the weather radar you know!

You can? Jesus! On weather radar!
Pull the other one, it's got bells on!
Never seen that in a decade of 737 ops - maybe I was unobservant!

teeteringhead
10th Jan 2020, 09:34
I never like it when I am tracked by military acquisition radar, Was "trapping" the Jordanian Air Force helicopters once in a previous life, flying circuits at their training base in a Hughes 500, checking out their QHIs/IPs. Adjacent to the airfield was a compound with a number of ZSU 23-4s.

For practice (!) they would track the helicopter circuit traffic - now THAT was scary!

Onceapilot
10th Jan 2020, 09:56
I have been watching this madness from the sideline, and as sad as it is, it is good to see that the CFM 56 has not decided to start self detonating after two billion flight hrs.
There is not much that can bring an 737-800 down.
But two missiles would suffice.

This Ladys and Gents is what happens when You play with fire.
Regards
Cpt B

PS!
So quit doing that , please!
DS

Cpt B, Yes, you will probably find that the spokes you see on Wx radar are from air to air radar. FJ without TCAS will often use this for SA . Also, if you are unlucky enough to be targeted by some SAM systems. In my day, much practice was done with real radars/missile systems. You have to guess that weapons control in some circumstances can be less than perfect!

OAP

SASless
10th Jan 2020, 16:52
Teetering,

Ever maneuver the aircraft to where the guns went out of their travel limits and watch them go all wobbly?

megan
11th Jan 2020, 05:22
For practice (!) they would track the helicopter circuit traffic - now THAT was scary!Bit like a young civil lad in a Cessna single given an unusual low level clearance into a joint use airport, asked why the low level, to be told the fighters want practice in painting someone in the ground clutter.

Fareastdriver
11th Jan 2020, 08:40
Years ago on finals to Marham you could watch the Bloodhound missiles tracking you down.

teeteringhead
11th Jan 2020, 09:23
Teetering,

Ever maneuver the aircraft to where the guns went out of their travel limits and watch them go all wobbly?:ok: eemmhg dh. nf

SAMXXV
11th Jan 2020, 11:32
Years ago on finals to Marham you could watch the Bloodhound missiles tracking you down.

That was probably me!

pontifex
12th Jan 2020, 09:51
Whenever I was opn finals at Marham I was watching the runway!

jindabyne
12th Jan 2020, 20:45
Years ago you could see the lights ---

Mogwi
13th Jan 2020, 19:58
Flew a jumping bean past the Pres in USS Iowa for the bi-centennial in NYNY and was slightly concerned to see several Dalek guns tracking us.

mog

pr00ne
13th Jan 2020, 22:35
Must be some really good memories on here seeing as the last Bloodhound at Marham was decommissioned over 55 years ago...

West Coast
14th Jan 2020, 05:32
Flew a jumping bean past the Pres in USS Iowa for the bi-centennial in NYNY and was slightly concerned to see several Dalek guns tracking us.

mog

Sure it was the Iowa?

Jumping_Jack
15th Jan 2020, 08:40
Must be some really good memories on here seeing as the last Bloodhound at Marham was decommissioned over 55 years ago...
West Raynham perhaps (85 Sqn disbanded in early 90's)?

ExAscoteer2
15th Jan 2020, 09:08
They were certainly active at Barkston Heath until 85 Sqn disbanded in 1991.

pr00ne
15th Jan 2020, 09:39
But in specific references to Marham, they were disbanded in May 1964...

sycamore
15th Jan 2020, 10:38
P, I think F-e-d will probably give you chapter and verse if you doubt the veracity of his statement....

pr00ne
15th Jan 2020, 12:31
sycamore,

I don't doubt the veracity of any statements here, merely pointing out that the MARHAM bloodhounds went in May 1964, those at West Raynham, which FED may well have been referring to, indeed came and went much later.

BluSdUp
15th Jan 2020, 12:59
It is quite common in central Europe, especially during NATO exercises.
Last from 30 sec to a minute or two. It does not bother me particularly because I am a punk and generally feel lucky.

It is the principal.

As we were told at the range :Treat it as loaded and never aim the rifle at ANYONE unless You are ready to kill them.
So , in peacetime NEVER!
As so clearly shown in Iran :It only takes one eager Beaver and someone dies!

Mele
So , not observant or never been in the cross hairs of fighter ,SAM or tired sailor on a Destroyer .
Now , when You do see it you know what it is.

Safe Landings
Cpt B

ICM
15th Jan 2020, 16:10
As far back as 1971/2, Soviet Air Defence radar spikes were quite visible on the C-141's APN 59 weather/mapping radar when passing up off the Kamchatka Peninsula en-route from Yokota AB in Japan to the West Coast on the NorthPac 1 route. In addition, one night in the wee hours between Johnston Island and Hickam, I became aware of similar spikes emanating from something on the sea below. To keep awake, I filled in one of the report forms in the route bag and handed it in at Operations after landing. By the next day, as we collected paperwork for return to Travis, that report had been upgraded to Secret with Codewords attached - so somebody seemed to think that there had been something of interest out there. All of that said, I don't ever recall seeing anything similar, anywhere around the globe, on the Ekco weather radars fitted in any of the three RAF Transport aircraft types I flew.

Fareastdriver
15th Jan 2020, 16:11
sycamore,

I don't doubt the veracity of any statements here, merely pointing out that the MARHAM bloodhounds went in May 1964, those at West Raynham, which FED may well have been referring to, indeed came and went much later.

They were at Marham, I started flying Valiants in 1962 and even though I was based at Honington practice diversions to Marham, a Master Diversion, were quite frequent.

Whenever I was opn finals at Marham I was watching the runway!

My aircraft never deviated from the glide path and centreline. They wouldn't dare!