PDA

View Full Version : QF9 to go via Singapore?

MelbourneFlyer
8th Jan 2020, 05:39
"Qantas’ decision to reroute its Perth-London QF9 flight to avoid Iranian airspace could mean adding a Singapore stopover to refuel the Boeing 787-9"

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-could-add-singapore-stopover-to-perth-london-boeing-787-flight

Rated De
8th Jan 2020, 06:05
A Qantas spokesman says that 90 seats will be left vacant on the Perth-London QF9 flight in order to reduce the overall weight and compensate for the diversion, which will now bypass Iran and Iraq and track across Afghanistan, adding around 40-50 minutes to the journey.

Qantas spokesperson as saying the airline is also considering giving the Perth-London QF9 flight a 'fuel stop' in Singapore which would allow it to carry a full load of passengers throughout the journey.

A marginal route with 90 seats out of 236 not available commercially is a loss making route. Maybe Fort Fumble will threaten to sell this 787 too!

As was predicted this route is finely balanced. Despite much fanfare from the usual flag wavers and believers, another Grand Vision from Little Napoleon sees the Middle eastern hub abandoned, Perth London err Re-routed and QF9 via Singapore.
Another Fort Fumble random walk, from Singapore to Dubai and back again.

Maggie Island
8th Jan 2020, 06:37
A marginal route with 90 seats out of 236 not available commercially is a loss making route. Maybe Fort Fumble will threaten to sell this 787 too!

As was predicted this route is finely balanced. Despite much fanfare from the usual flag wavers and believers, another Grand Vision from Little Napoleon sees the Middle eastern hub abandoned, Perth London err Re-routed and QF9 via Singapore.

I daresay that should QF9 route via Singapore due to the situation in Iran, they will be doing so with full loads...

Global Aviator
8th Jan 2020, 06:40

You are constantly on the attack. Yes the route is marginal but appears to have been working, no idea about the profitability. Yes taking 90 seats out would destroy any profit but so would getting shot down. Obviously when the route was planned avoiding a war zone was not required.

Damned if they do damned if they don’t with you.

I will eat my words if it reroutes through SIN and stays that way when the conflict allows more direct routing again. Now where is that 350.......

dragon man
8th Jan 2020, 07:00
I daresay that should QF9 route via Singapore due to the situation in Iran, they will be doing so with full loads...

Correct, but would you pay a premium fare to now stop in Singapore instead of non stop?

morno
8th Jan 2020, 08:30
You are constantly on the attack. Yes the route is marginal but appears to have been working, no idea about the profitability. Yes taking 90 seats out would destroy any profit but so would getting shot down. Obviously when the route was planned avoiding a war zone was not required.

Damned if they do damned if they don’t with you.

I will eat my words if it reroutes through SIN and stays that way when the conflict allows more direct routing again. Now where is that 350.......

Exactly. Rated De, what exactly do you think Qantas should be doing? Or are you only interested in hanging **** on Alan?

Buttscratcher
8th Jan 2020, 08:45
Interesting......Singas isn't really on the way.

I would recommend Dubai, but what would I know.

SecretAngel
8th Jan 2020, 08:48
Correct, but would you pay a premium fare to now stop in Singapore instead of non stop?
They may not need to - a fuel stop in Singapore would slash fuel costs for the route. Might be able to price it closer to QF1 and still be profitable.

Australopithecus
8th Jan 2020, 09:14

I would recommend Dubai, but what would I know.​​​​​​

Well, not enough as it turns out. This afternoon Iran has publicly advised that it will attack Dubai and Haifa in the next round of escalation. Which will open the door to hell just a bit wider.

Ken Borough
8th Jan 2020, 09:52
There are a few malcontents who believe that Qantas does nothing that's right, no matter the circumstances. Why don't they just STFU? :mad:

Capt Fathom
8th Jan 2020, 10:09
If you can believe the Flightaware website, both Qantas 9 &10 have been planned non stop. Over Afghanistan/India inlieu of over Iran/Iraq.

Australopithecus
8th Jan 2020, 10:38
If you can believe the Flightaware website, both Qantas 9 &10 have been planned non stop. Over Afghanistan/India inlieu of over Iran/Iraq.

I guess they’ll take the loss of revenue today and tomorrow in order to position 787 crews up in SIN for the continuation of the service after the tech stop. Assuming that the belligerents keep playing tit for tat.

kiwi grey
8th Jan 2020, 19:00
I would recommend Dubai, but what would I know.

If you have to make a fuel-only stop, then Sri Lanka or India would make better logistical sense than Dubai

Chad Gates
8th Jan 2020, 20:55
If you have to make a fuel-only stop, then Sri Lanka or India would make better logistical sense than Dubai

new crew would be needed for the continued sector due duty limits. It’s much easier to get crew to and from Singapore.

C441
8th Jan 2020, 21:13
Or they could operate MEL-PER-SIN-LHR in an A380 and carry more than 3 times as many punters including First Class! :rolleyes:
…or skip PER altogether and do MEL-HKG-LHR. :)

PoppaJo
8th Jan 2020, 22:47
I would be asking for a refund. Many still connect to this service from the East Coast. MEL-PER-SIN-LHR in a 787 is not something to look forward to.

Ask for your cash back and book SIA. A350/A380 combo to London is the best way over these days. I have not flown QF International in a while until they pick up their game.

Rated De
8th Jan 2020, 22:53
Or they could operate MEL-PER-SIN-LHR in an A380 and carry more than 3 times as many punters including First Class! :rolleyes:

Rather like QF prior to Little Napoleon's tantrum declaring the airline "terminal".
The load factors on the Perth London service are impressive, provided one ignores the net seat reduction.

The withdrawal from Frankfurt, Hong Kong (London) and Bangkok (London) with a hub switch to Dubai. The case present to the ACCC was dire, QF could not operate profitably nor compete.
Roll forward five years, the airline transformed, switched back to Singapore. Give it a little more time and the Network will be "grown" to reflect "customer preference" through Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong to London.
Throw in the Frankfurt or some other secondary European port and a five year random walk finds the airline right back where it started.

Genius!

PPRuNeUser0184
8th Jan 2020, 22:57
I would be asking for a refund. Many still connect to this service from the East Coast. MEL-PER-SIN-LHR in a 787 is not something to look forward to.

Ask for your cash back and book SIA. A350/A380 combo to London is the best way over these days. I have not flown QF International in a while until they pick up their game.

Funny stuff.

dragon man
8th Jan 2020, 23:17
I guess they’ll take the loss of revenue today and tomorrow in order to position 787 crews up in SIN for the continuation of the service after the tech stop. Assuming that the belligerents keep playing tit for tat.

The only problem with that is they will run short of crew as it’s not planned for, and I will add that’s not their fault.

Chris2303
8th Jan 2020, 23:17

Just as well I'm not still working in the call centre then

maggot
9th Jan 2020, 00:21
But but but ... That game has been changed

industry insider
9th Jan 2020, 03:46
…or skip PER altogether and do MEL-HKG-LHR. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Oi, some of us "Westerners" use QF9 and QF10 you know.

krismiler
9th Jan 2020, 08:31
Reroute via Singapore for the moment and give discounts/partial refunds from the fuel savings, possibly pick up a bit of extra traffic as well to/from and connecting in Singapore.

As Changi is a regular port on the network, disruption would be minimal. Non stop isn’t that vital, the flight is basically a test bed for SYD - LON anyway.

dr dre
9th Jan 2020, 11:49
Oi, some of us "Westerners" use QF9 and QF10 you know.

There’s probably enough Brits in WA to sustain two 787 loads per day.

rog747
9th Jan 2020, 12:19
Does the QF9/10 LHR-PER non-stop service attract a higher fare then - even in Y?

Just tried making a dummy booking on QF o/w PER-LHR and the the non-stop was just £3 more LOL versus via SIN

nivsy
16th Jan 2020, 03:35
There’s probably enough Brits in WA to sustain two 787 loads per day.
Not at the prices QF charge I am afraid in Business.
It's QR for me...always.

PPRuNeUser0198
16th Jan 2020, 05:14
net seat reduction

Correct. Easy to promote 'impressive' LF when ASK's are less...

There is a premium for the PER service on average. There is even a premium for the new J product over the old Marc Newson Skybed II (or are they giving you a discount...)