PDA

View Full Version : Medical declaration

jbscessna
7th Jan 2020, 17:19
Does anyone know if the CAA are planning to extend the validity of using a medical declaration to fly an easa certified aircaft (in the UK only) if you hold an EASA PPL / LAPL ?

It seems very inconsistent that you can fly an RV or other annex 2 aircraft with an EASA PPL / LAPL and medical declaration but not a Cessna 150.

DB6
7th Jan 2020, 19:55
Like this you mean? https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=8704

jbscessna
7th Jan 2020, 20:30
DB6
Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately para 3 ii of ORS4 No 1238 excludes anyone who has not previously held a medical declaration. In other words, if you currently have a lapl or class 2 medical, you can not move on to a medical declaration when the medical expires and fly an EASA aircraft in the UK using an EASA PPL /LAPL.

I presume the CAA will re issue ORS4 No 1283 (or something similar) in April 2020. It would be great if they deleted para 3 ii in the process.

MaxR
7th Jan 2020, 20:34
Is that really what Para 3 says? I didn't read it that way.

Fl1ingfrog
7th Jan 2020, 22:28
jbs cessna,

Para 3 (ii) is to make clear that you must not fly with the intention of making a declaration at a later date. You must first complete the medical declaration form online and have submitted it before you fly. Subsequently, whenever you fly the conditions of the declaration must continue to remain valid. Simply that.

jbscessna
8th Jan 2020, 12:59
Fl1ingfrog

Your interpretation is that the word "previously" in para 3ii refers to the carrying out a flight. It might refer to the issue of ORS4 1283.
It would be great if your interpretation was correct and could withstand legal challenge.

BEagle
8th Jan 2020, 14:46
The CAA confirmed that 'previously' simply means that a pilot intending to fly using a PMD must not do so unless he/she has submitted a declaration beforehand.

It's just clumsy legal-weasel wording which has caused the confusion.
It seems very inconsistent that you can fly an RV or other annex 2 aircraft with an EASA PPL / LAPL and medical declaration but not a Cessna 150
1. An RV is an Annex 1(c) aeroplane.
2. G-reg EASA aircraft such as the Cessna 150 may currently be flown by pilots holding Part-FCL licences (under VFR within UK airspace) using a PMD until Apr 2020.

jbscessna
8th Jan 2020, 15:14
BEagle
Thanks for your clarification.
It would be very helpfull if the CAA could update their site on medical requirements. I am sure there must be other people that also find it ambiguous.

Slopey
8th Jan 2020, 17:54
I take it this: https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/Pilot-licences/Medical-requirements/Medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/ is out of date currently given General Exemption E 4764 referenced above?

My Class 2 expired in July last year, and I've not had time to fly since but I'm looking at getting back in the saddle. I'd be up for the full gamut this time around and as I'm over 40 that puts me on 24 months expiry.

If I just want to fly a C172, VFR, on my EASA PPL(A) - I can now self certify - yes?

I'd rather save the couple of hundred quid every 2 years and spend it on flying!

flybymike
9th Jan 2020, 23:15
We’re all waiting with baited breath.

The AMEs are going to be swamped with medical applications if theCAA leave it to the last minute to make an announcement

There are thousands of PMD holders out there.

Slopey
1st Feb 2020, 14:12
The CAA confirmed that 'previously' simply means that a pilot intending to fly using a PMD must not do so unless he/she has submitted a declaration beforehand.

It's just clumsy legal-weasel wording which has caused the confusion.

1. An RV is an Annex 1(c) aeroplane.
2. G-reg EASA aircraft such as the Cessna 150 may currently be flown by pilots holding Part-FCL licences (under VFR within UK airspace) using a PMD until Apr 2020.

In the case of (2) - how do you do it? The PMD form at https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms-and-conditions.htm?formCode=PMD doesn't list an option for an EU Part-FCL PPL to fly an EASA aircraft, only non-EASA?

Do you simply complete the non-EASA one?

In the previous T&C page, it states: There is an exemption from Commission Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011 that allows UK national licence holders to fly certain EASA aircraft until April 2018. Details are contained in CAP1441 ‘PPL Licence Privileges, Type of Aircraft to be Flown and Medical Requirements Table’ which I guess alludes to being able to do it, but you can't actually select it on the declaration itself?

flybymike
1st Feb 2020, 14:26
Just complete the non EASA one. The CAA never updated the declaration form after issue of the exemption to permit use of EASA aircraft.
You can simply rely on the exemption until 8th April 2020 when we all hope it will be renewed.
The exemption can be used with either U.K. or EASA licences
The exemption is here.
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1283..pdf