PDA

View Full Version : Migraines and propranolol

Paddingtons wellies
6th Jan 2020, 19:24
Hi
I have been grounded due to migraines (no aura), but one sided headaches.

My doctor has prescribed propranolol slow release and these seem to work well. No headaches since starting them a few weeks ago.

Does anybody know the CAA view of this treatment. The guidance notes say in exceptional circumstances they can be considered.

421dog
13th Jan 2020, 23:23
From an FAA standpoint, migraines are a big deal, but propranolol is not.

if you can establish that your worst migraine is not in any way incapacitating, and that you just take propranolol to avoid the discomfort, then it shouldn’t be too big a deal to get an initial special issuance, (and a subsequent AME-assisted issuance on an ongoing basis)

Sorry I can’t speak to European standards, but I’d be happy to
provide any other assistance that I can...

double_barrel
16th Jan 2020, 16:36
A friend of mine has a class 2 medical. He suffered serious and occasionally debilitating migraines in his 20's. He was subsequently put on propranolol for blood pressure control with the side effect of completely stopping migraines and he has not had a migraine for over 20 years. Any idea what the CAA attitude would be to his situation?

squarecrow
17th Jan 2020, 07:55
Click on the link below and scroll down to Migraine paragraph.

If your friend has class 2 any review if any likely to be in consultation with CAA via his or her AME. Class 1 normally is direct referral to AMS . I take it your friend has
already discussed this with his or her AME in the past?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Neurology/Neurology-guidance-material-GM/

double_barrel
17th Jan 2020, 18:17
If your friend has class 2 any review if any likely to be in consultation with CAA via his or her AME. Class 1 normally is direct referral to AMS . I take it your friend has
already discussed this with his or her AME in the past?

I suspect not. I happen to know his history because we have discussed medical stuff in the past, I was triggered to ask when I saw this thread. But I imagine he thought it was a non issue being so far in the past and under complete control,