PDA

View Full Version : Question for you commercial pilots!

john stro
6th Jan 2020, 11:43
I absolutely love flying and want to pursue a career in piloting. The problem is that I’ve heard being away for so long and constantly takes a massive toll on family and relationships. Is this really true or has it been over reacted? What about flying domestic? Is it really as bad as it’s made out to be? Thanks!

tail wheel
6th Jan 2020, 20:24
Flying various from country to country and LH to domestic. Should you not be asking that question in a British forum where you live?

rudestuff
6th Jan 2020, 21:58
Be prepared to give up girlfriends etc if you want to pursue this job. You first job is unlikely to be where you want it to be.

tio540
7th Jan 2020, 12:30
I absolutely love flying and want to pursue a career in piloting. The problem is that I’ve heard being away for so long and constantly takes a massive toll on family and relationships. Is this really true or has it been over reacted? What about flying domestic? Is it really as bad as it’s made out to be? Thanks!

You can actually artificially simulate being a professional pilot, and see if it suits you.

1. Irrespective of your age, dye your hair grey.
2. Ask you present employer for a 50% pay cut, and request to work a 12 hour day, with just one day off in a row.
3. Stay up all night for a week, with the alarm going off after 4 hours sleep.
4. Tell your current partner you will not be home for Christmas, their birthday, and any public holidays for the next 5 years. Or weekends.
5. Buy a €500 car, without heater, and air conditioning, and arrive to your partners house to pick them up 2 hours late because you were held up at work.
6. Have sliced ham, and cheap salad for dinner, 3 nights a week for two years in a row, and call it catering. (True story)
7. Do this for 3 years, then send yourself letters saying you need more experience, and do the above for a bit longer.

You are now a professional, (junior) pilot.

Good luck, and buy lots of flowers for the better half.

rudestuff
7th Jan 2020, 13:22
There are jobs that let your sleep in your bed every night. There are jobs that let you spend every other week on a tropical beach with a load of hostiles.

The problem is you never get to choose your first job. You accept whatever is available, anywhere in the world on any airframe. It's much easier doing that single. If you love flying you'll probably end up single, either by your choice or hers.

deja vu
10th Jan 2020, 04:22

If you have a family that wants to give you grief because you are just doing your job and want to earn a living in something you love, kick them into touch. Or if you don't have a family and partner yet, then pick one that knows the score.

You will not be the only one working Christmas Day, birthdays, school holidays, hundreds of other occupations are away all the time, sometimes, in moderation its good for a relationship. And could you imagine living with someone day in and day out who caused you to give up your dream in the forlorn hope it may prevent a massive toll on a relationship. You are probably already doomed by thinking that way.

Dawn Patrol
10th Jan 2020, 04:55
You can actually artificially simulate being a professional pilot, and see if it suits you.

1. Irrespective of your age, dye your hair grey.
2. Ask you present employer for a 50% pay cut, and request to work a 12 hour day, with just one day off in a row.
3. Stay up all night for a week, with the alarm going off after 4 hours sleep.
4. Tell your current partner you will not be home for Christmas, their birthday, and any public holidays for the next 5 years. Or weekends.
5. Buy a €500 car, without heater, and air conditioning, and arrive to your partners house to pick them up 2 hours late because you were held up at work.
6. Have sliced ham, and cheap salad for dinner, 3 nights a week for two years in a row, and call it catering. (True story)
7. Do this for 3 years, then send yourself letters saying you need more experience, and do the above for a bit longer.

You are now a professional, (junior) pilot.

Good luck, and buy lots of flowers for the better half.

Boy o boy does that ring true. Haha

on the other side. The view is nice. And it’s pretty relaxing when you’re up the front and cruising along.