PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment film.

oldpax
2nd Jan 2020, 11:30
I have just watched a RAF film for the first time and thought are there two air forces and did I join the wrong one!!!!!! Its on U tube and is called "True Bearing 1961".Some good stuff though!!
Look forward to comments!!

1859sqn
2nd Jan 2020, 12:23
The "Talking Pictures" Freeview TV channel also shows the occasional short film regarding the RAF. Today they showed "Time Piece" from 1966.

beardy
2nd Jan 2020, 12:35
That film is nearly 60 years old.
Nostalgia isn't........

SASless
2nd Jan 2020, 13:08
Old.....whatever happened to the Tech's Toolbox?

ORAC
2nd Jan 2020, 14:51
Foind this film in looking for other recruitment firms. Thought it deserved being posted.

https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/untold-story-raf-black-second-world-war-fliers-europe/The untold story of the RAF’s black Second World War fliers over Europe

chevvron
2nd Jan 2020, 15:05
I have just watched a RAF film for the first time and thought are there two air forces and did I join the wrong one!!!!!! Its on U tube and is called "True Bearing 1961".Some good stuff though!!
Probably because the latest 'recruitment film' is for the Army not the RAFhttps://www.pprune.org/images/icons/46.gif

oldpax
3rd Jan 2020, 01:53
Techs toolbox.Well we had them on "Coastal"wooden box lockable in which all sorts were kept.Working first line you didn't need them as centralised servicing took over .In fact all you needed was a G.S.scredriver for most jobs!! Of course you did a variety of jobs most of them dirty ,ie topping up oil,15 gallons per engine per day on Varsities !Refuelling ,towing trolleyaccs putting away in the hanger as not enough room on the line.Could go but!!
Of course this was the 1960s and I am sure things have progressed a bit since then. Fire piquet and duty elect ,does this still have to be done?

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jan 2020, 19:09
...and thought are there two air forces and did I join the wrong one!!!!!!

Well we are similar ages and it seems very like the RAF I joined in 1964, although I have to admit to having no experience of life as a JNCO. Singapore seemed so familiar, I even flew out there in a Britt, like the corporal's wife (although courtesy of British Eagle in my case). A big regret was I never managed to fly in the beautiful Comet. Great stuff, and pure nostalgia

oldpax
4th Jan 2020, 04:12
I left the RAF in 1968 and after five years learning in the power industry started another life as a contracter travelling to jobs in many countries.Apart from the odd one most of the time I was accommodated in nice hotels !! Still flew in economy though!!
So every continent covered except New Zealand or PMG but that's only a big island isn't it?Or Greenland and Iceland!!!

NutLoose
5th Jan 2020, 02:40
Old.....whatever happened to the Tech's Toolbox?

It was put up for sale... see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-Apprentice-Aircraft-Tool-Kit-Airframe-Files-drill-etc-in-case-Ex-Cosford/143470616587?hash=item216783e00b:g:YlUAAOSwYABd84EO

SASless
5th Jan 2020, 04:35
Still using the "Three P" method of maintenance I see!

Pound it to shape, Pound it to fit, and Paint it to match!

BEagle
5th Jan 2020, 08:22

The correct title is True Bearing: RAF In The Far East, which is one of 48 short films included in the 4-disc set Royal Air Force In The 1960s - The Definitive Short Films Collection.

13 hrs 21 min of nostalgia - available from the usual sources. The last title is Graduate In The RAF, which gives a good snapshot of the RAF I joined....

pr00ne
5th Jan 2020, 12:01
I think that the RAF, and the MoD in general, would do far better in the recruitment stakes if it could fix the underlying problems revealed in the two headline BBC articles of yesterday, one by an ex soldier complaining of being bored and misemployed in the Army, spending all his day roaming around camp being told to pick up litter, and the ex RAF lad saying he left last year as he was fed up of things breaking; heating, running water and toilets being just a few examples, in one instance they were without working toilets for over a week.

No recruitment film is going to work unless those fundamentals are sorted.

Cummings is your man!

superplum
5th Jan 2020, 20:09
It was put up for sale... see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-Apprentice-Aircraft-Tool-Kit-Airframe-Files-drill-etc-in-case-Ex-Cosford/143470616587?hash=item216783e00b:g:YlUAAOSwYABd84EO

Looks like something cobbled together for Cosford training purposes but in shameful condition!