PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow crash deaths were BA Cabin crew

NutLoose
1st Jan 2020, 17:28
It is now being reported that the tragic holidays deaths at Heathrow were BA cabin crew, what a waste and such a tragedy at this time of year, my thoughts and condolences go out to the families and friends. Blue skies.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/heathrow-crash-three-people-killed-in-smash-were-british-airways-cabin-crew/ar-BBYwqjT

tubby linton
1st Jan 2020, 17:48
A fund has been set up to send a floral tribute and to assist the survivor.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/ba-angels-fund?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet
RIP

KelvinD
2nd Jan 2020, 08:21
One has to wonder how this happened. The road on which the accident happened is rather narrow and I seem to remember it has a 40mph limit. For 3 people to be killed, the speed at which it happened must have been spectacular. At least one of the fatalities must have been sat in the rear seat and, presumably wearing a seat belt and relatively safe in case of a collision at 40mph.

campbeex
2nd Jan 2020, 09:43
One has to wonder how this happened. The road on which the accident happened is rather narrow and I seem to remember it has a 40mph limit. For 3 people to be killed, the speed at which it happened must have been spectacular. At least one of the fatalities must have been sat in the rear seat and, presumably wearing a seat belt and relatively safe in case of a collision at 40mph.

The vehicles involved were an HGV and a small car, so a rather significant difference. Suggesting the "speed at which it happened must have been spectacular" is unnecessary speculation.

Thoughts and condolences to everyone involved.

bgbazz
2nd Jan 2020, 10:45
Not speculating at all, but both vehicles could have been moving at the legal limit and the impact speed could be 80mph.

Very tragic and very sad, whichever way you look at it.

pax britanica
2nd Jan 2020, 11:18
I travelled that road many times and it is very very narrow , built before LHR existed to connect the villages of Stanwell and Bedfont and is no longer fit for purpose with articulated HGVs and tankers . It has a river on one side and generally commercial properties on the other. The junction with Long Lane where the accident seems to have occurred is of similar vintage . A car headed north and then east has limited vision for oncoming traffic depending on foliage etc and as the truck ended up in the river it is all too likely that momentary inattention or just blocked vision saw the car pull out into the ah of the truck who served and ended up in the river but destroying the car too.
This road should have been upgraded decades ago but it is on the boundary of a London borough and Surrey CC and along way from their head offices so nothing ever gets done.

I dont mean to over speculate one the accident except for the fact I nearly lost a friend there decades ago, in his case the truck pulled out and he swerved into the river well facing down its bank shaken but unharmed this time three young people lost their lives tragic indeed

Kiltrash
2nd Jan 2020, 11:45
I must be the only person in PPRuNe land not to have been aware of this accident till I saw it on R&N just now. Thoughts are with the people involved including the lorry driver.
I used this road regularly when I lived in Staines and worked at Heathrow it was always a dangerous road and given the Heathrow expansions I am amazed they have not improved it and or traffic calming measures
Obviously given the difference in vehicle size speed may not have been a reason for the deaths but is a disaster for all family members
Blue sky's all

K

Asturias56
3rd Jan 2020, 08:01
A witness said the car was going very fast..................... terribly sad - killed with their whole lives ahead of them.