PDA

View Full Version : Getting an EASA class 1 in 2020

LVMAK
30th Dec 2019, 16:35
hey guys,

For this new year I have decided to persue my childhood's dream to become a pilot. I'll be asking for an appointment as soon as the festivities are gone, but there are a couple of things that I'd like to ask clarification about. Considering the latest EASA changes due to the unfortunate Germanwings accident, this has raised a couple of questions to me.

1. How does the initial interview and screening looks like?
I'm particularly concerned for the "mental health" part. Nothing wrong with it, I'm fortunately a healthy person but did have quite a stressful period due to external factors (failing school due to deciding to finish school 3 years in one, while parents were divorcing, being low on money at 17 living alone, etc) where I suffered from a 'burnout', more like overworked. Stress nevertheless. I was never medicated for this, neither saw a private professional. I did have help from the GP's practitioner for around half a year.
I recovered well from it, and it's over 3 years that this happened. My life changed a lot since and I was able to build a stable life, income and honestly at the end glad it happened, it gave me a lot of lessons.
2. I was thinking to add a new GP's statement, whatever they will write I'm confident it's positive. Good or bad idea?
3. In the checkbox initial questionnaire, what do I have to fill in about this, as it's not really any serious mental disease/illness like depression..? Should I ask this when I make the appointment as well, or do I risk to be blacklisted accidentally?
4. Did anyone have a similar scenario, how did it go and how did you manage it?
Some clarification and advice would be greatly appreciated, especially that I read similar stories being handled as "difficult cases".
Thanks a lot in advance :)

Radgirl
1st Jan 2020, 14:53
Hi LVMAK

Please search this site and you will find the answer as this question is repeated regularly.

You have had mental health issues and most likely a report will be required and or your GP's notes. Complete the form honestly, or you will be breaking the law, and do not offer additional statements or reports. Your AME will guide you through and advise you on your chance of success.

Nobody on this site can give you a definitive answer as we dont have your complete notes and we havent examined you

Good luck