PDA

View Full Version : Twin Hire

mesh
30th Dec 2019, 09:54
Twin HireLooking for a bit of guidance chaps. My brother is looking at doing his twin engine course soon and is looking at viability of hire after. Firstly what’s the cost of twin hire at the moment? Also, he lives and flies out of Compton. Any twins for hire around that area? Finally is there an hours requirement he will need before he can rent?

thanks in advance

rudestuff
30th Dec 2019, 12:32
Do people hire twins for fun? Generally they are only used for training, and then it's usually a means to an end - to get an MEIR for an airline job. You might find the insurance requirements make it almost impossible.

mesh
30th Dec 2019, 13:59
I would of thought some do to go further and quicker. Across water etc....

TheOddOne
30th Dec 2019, 18:23
No. A single is statistically safer than a twin. A Cirrus is as fast and can go as far with the same payload. BRS if you get into trouble. Fantastic modern avionics and autopilot to relieve the stress of navigation.

As rudestuff says, the only reason for getting a MEP rating is for training for an airline career.

TOO

Duchess_Driver
30th Dec 2019, 22:03
Whilst I would concur that most twin flying is for training and not for fun, it depends upon the mission. Longer over water sectors (U.K. - Netherlands/Denmark/Ireland etc) are more appealing in a twin. Remote areas too are better served in a twin, it gives you more options.

Agree that the higher performing singles (SR22/C400 etc) are just as fast and tend to have better avionics / comfort /appeal and have generally lower operating costs which has led to the decline of the light twin.

FullWings
31st Dec 2019, 08:37
You only have to look at the used market to see. Perfectly serviceable old twins like a Seneca can be had for £60k but a 172 or PA28 of the same vintage will cost more.

Once you’ve got some passengers, baggage and fuel in a typical light twin of the above era, there’s only one direction you’re going after an engine failure and it isn’t up...