PDA

View Full Version : RAF Laarbruch memories

RAFG
26th Dec 2019, 10:08
Hi There and happy christmas to everyone!

As a member of the only RAF Museum in Germany located at RAF Laarbruch I am on research for the station history for over 10 years now.
I found many posts at PPRuNe but most of them are so old, that the photos are no longer available.

I would like to ask everyone if he can ad stories or photos of his time at Laarbruch and post here.
Otherwise it's possible too, to contact me via PN so photos or anything else can be send via EMail to me or directly to the museum, were they can be shown to interested people of course with any copyrights depending on!

I hope to reach lots of people!

Thank you very much!

RAFG

Finningley Boy
26th Dec 2019, 13:35
RAFG,
Could you PM me for a quick chat.

Best regards,

FB

oldmansquipper
26th Dec 2019, 21:58
Good luck RAFG, with developing your excellent museum.

Any sign of a Jaguar yet?

NutLoose
27th Dec 2019, 04:05
Being a Jag it will get there eventually...... :E

NutLoose
27th Dec 2019, 04:08
Nice work on the Hunter BTW

RAFG
27th Dec 2019, 11:07
Thanks Guys, my museum fellows did indeed a great job on the Hunter! Love those T.7s! :)

Anyone remember the sectors (Squadron dispersals at Laarbruch) were called:
Blue Sector
Black Sector
Gold Sector maybe 20Sqn??
etc...
Which squadron occupied which sector?

oldmansquipper
27th Dec 2019, 11:31
Gold sector - Laarbruch’s premier Sqn. II(AC)

Silver sector - missiles

Some other squadrons were somewhere of course, but I can’t remember where.

reds & greens
27th Dec 2019, 12:53
I was on 20 from 86-89 and for some reason 'Gold' seems to ring a bell.
I may of course be wrong.

LOMCEVAK
27th Dec 2019, 14:54
Out of curiosity, what is the Hunter's history? The pictures have a variety of colour schemes. Was it an ex- XV or 16 Sqn one from Bucc days?

Vendee
27th Dec 2019, 15:54
Yes, Gold sector was II (AC) Sqn. I can't remember the others but when I did my second tour on XV, we didn't seem to use the colour thing anymore.

In relation to the runway, II (AC) were in the SE, XV in the SW, 16 in the NE and 20 in the NW. On my first tour the site that 20 later occupied was empty and just dispersals and a hangar. When I returned in 89 it was fully hardened with 20 Sqn in residence. I think I'm right in saying that the Siegfried line or West wall ran through the 20 Sqn site.

Video Mixdown
27th Dec 2019, 16:11
Thanks Guys, my museum fellows did indeed a great job on the Hunter! Love those T.7s! :)

Anyone remember the sectors (Squadron dispersals at Laarbruch) were called:
Blue Sector
Black Sector
Gold Sector maybe 20Sqn??
etc...
Which squadron occupied which sector?

Gold was definitely II(AC) during the Phantom/Jaguar era at least. Don't forget that includes II(AC) RIC, which was just off the ring road.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/759x533/ii_ac_sqn_jaguar_xz111_bb930aa0e78bedd75f4880b09bda37e38ad7c f4f.jpg

RAFG
27th Dec 2019, 18:37
The first pic!!
:ok:
Thanks!

oldmansquipper
27th Dec 2019, 20:05
RAFG. PM me with an email address. I could attach a few pics from 76-79.

The museum already has access to several FB sites of interest. ‘Heinz Willi’ and ‘Rod’ can help I’m sure.

salad-dodger
28th Dec 2019, 08:53
Being a Jag it will get there eventually...... :E
predictable

Four Turbo
28th Dec 2019, 08:55
Wasn't there something about the place being designed in metres and built in yards?? Only came to light when they resurfaced the runway and had a mound of the new materials left over? Also why rooms were too small for wardrobes. Or maybe that's all rubbish - just what I heard, but it would be nice to know of any truth!.

BEagle
28th Dec 2019, 10:14
From a post on an old PPRuNe thread by foldingwings:

Laarbruch was built post-WW2 by the Germans as part of their reparation for the war. As it was in the British Sector of West Germany it was allocated to the RAF. When it was discovered that the contractor had hived off a substantial financial gain by building it in metres (or vice versa, I can never remember) the German government was so embarrassed that he was prosecuted and sent down for a considerable number of years (30 if I recall). If you took the ring road to the north side of the airfield in the 70s, when I was on XV, it was a one-way traffic system because the road was built (outside of the spec) too narrow for passing traffic! Also, all the buildings were smaller than planned and consequently, so were the rooms in Blocks 13, 13A & 14 (OM) hence the reduced rent for livers-in!

Mind you, all that aside, it was a bloody good place for a party!!!!!

Haraka
28th Dec 2019, 11:17
The same story was told about Wilders of course......

RAFEngO74to09
28th Dec 2019, 14:20
Wasn't there something about the place being designed in metres and built in yards?? Only came to light when they resurfaced the runway and had a mound of the new materials left over? Also why rooms were too small for wardrobes. Or maybe that's all rubbish - just what I heard, but it would be nice to know of any truth!.

True. The rooms in the original blocks of the OM were all sub-standard in terms of sq footage. As a result, even first tour fg off like myself in the late-1970s could have 2 rooms - non-interconnected - either adjacent or across the corridor.

Those waiting for a second room had their wardrobes in the corridor.

Rigga
28th Dec 2019, 18:26
Bucc Zones/Squadrons:
Blue = Decoys Lightnings/Phantoms (Eventually became 18 Sqn)
White = 15 Sqn
Black = 16 Sqn (Pink zone within)
Gold = 2 Sqn (with RIC)

RAFG
28th Dec 2019, 18:49
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/806x467/1_9a96f6ad35c4e9d1417a5a3d24e2507d70513f6c.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/808x474/2_2cae730008a548d689e651549ded15fa2f2ea736.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/812x473/3_b913409407fb43ca28aa87227d64cbab28ca3873.jpg
Anyone remember Peter Rolfe? He was a navigator with XVSqn in the 70s.
These photos can be found at the website. I wonder which year it may be. The Buccs have already the camo all around. So may Winter 1978/79??
Can anyone help?

http://thebuccaneeraviationgroup.com/photos-peter-rolfe.html

Rigga
28th Dec 2019, 19:10
The On-camp airmen's married quarters were below standard as they should have been full size cellars but were only built with two small rooms. I don't believe there was any recompense from the builders.

Vendee
29th Dec 2019, 12:44
The On-camp airmen's married quarters were below standard as they should have been full size cellars but were only built with two small rooms. I don't believe there was any recompense from the builders.

At least they had cellars. The London street/York way quarters in Weeze built in the mid 80's didn't have any cellars. The word was that the first couple built did have cellars but they kept filling up with water so they completed the rest without them.

t7a
29th Dec 2019, 14:46
Remember Peter very well - the photos were indeed winter 78/79.

langleybaston
29th Dec 2019, 15:07
Laarbruch was blessed with the worst weather of the five RAFG bases in my time ............ inevitable because of exposure to any filth from West round to North. When at JHQ first time I had oversight of all RAFG TAFS as issued ................ poor old Laarbruch [EDUL ?] was usually the gloomy one.
In later life I was its inspector, and visited several times a year for six years. It seemed that every time I was driven or drove from JHQ to Laarbruch, the vis decreased, the cloud base lowered, and the windscreen wiper came on.

Perhaps I do Laarbruch a disservice, but in retrospect I am glad by junior forecaster stint was at EDUO !

Good luck with the project, very worth while.

Rigga
29th Dec 2019, 15:39
Laarbruch was blessed with the worst weather of the five RAFG bases in my time ............ inevitable because of exposure to any filth from West round to North. When at JHQ first time I had oversight of all RAFG TAFS as issued ................ poor old Laarbruch [EDUL ?] was usually the gloomy one.
In later life I was its inspector, and visited several times a year for six years. It seemed that every time I was driven or drove from JHQ to Laarbruch, the vis decreased, the cloud base lowered, and the windscreen wiper came on.

Perhaps I do Laarbruch a disservice, but in retrospect I am glad by junior forecaster stint was at EDUO !

Good luck with the project, very worth while.

I had three tours there (none on Tornadoes) and all I remember is sunshine and snow!

ShyTorque
29th Dec 2019, 15:44
By some strange coincidence, I had cause to open our ornaments cabinet yesterday, then saw this thread.
The one item I had cause to move in the cabinet was a stemmed, 0.2 litre drinking glass for "Stern" beer, given to me in 1972 when I visited Laarbruch on a CCF cadet camp.

It has the crests of the local town Weeze and of RAF Laarbruch and below them states "Britisch-Deutsche Maiwoche, Anglo-German May Week, RAF Laarbruch-Weeze".

How it's survived 47 years and at least 14 house moves I don't know.

RAFEngO74to09
29th Dec 2019, 17:00
I can add some detail to this photo:

Personnel are L > R: Wg Cdr P D Oulton - OC XV Sqn - January 1976 - July 1978 / Flt Lt Martin Spalding - OC Aircraft Servicing Flight (OC ASF) / Flt Lt Pete Rolfe - Navigator XV Sqn

The aircrew are handing over the Aircraft Form 700 for a Buccaneer S2B - that they have just delivered from the UK to RAF Laarbruch - to OC ASF for "Acceptance Checks" in ASF (the 2nd Line servicing facility in Hangar 1).

It is most likely XZ432 - the last Buccaneer S2B manufactured - one of a batch of 3 built in 1977 originally for the Ministry of Defence (Procurement Executive) [MOD(PE)] for trials - which arrived with very low flying hours on it compared to rest of the fleet.

It was essentially still a "new" aircraft compared to some ex-Royal Navy aircraft built 10 years prior or the RAF new build batch of 46 from 1973 onwards.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x533/peterimage125_6109e5d3760cb2d4dcced6f691ef2df0534649c2.jpg

oldmansquipper
29th Dec 2019, 20:21
Ahh, my old mate Martin Spalding. Average glider pilot IIRC 🤔 Last seen (by me) back in the 90’s I think. Is he still around?😉

Fg Off Bloggs
30th Dec 2019, 12:54
According to 'Peter', the photos were 1975 for the XV Sqn 60th anniversary. I asked him. He apologises for the poor definition and, thus, the unidentifiable members!

Bloggs

jindabyne
30th Dec 2019, 14:09
Consistent with them all being in a 'haze' much of their time - and you Bloggs
HNY:ok:

FL575
30th Dec 2019, 15:24
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/964x999/laarbruch_flying_club_312bc234afa3456d255df7c5e1c028f4a4f210 0b.jpg

RAFG
30th Dec 2019, 17:28
Maybe the photos are taken in february, but I wonder, whether these Buccs have a camouflage painting all around. I thought this was from mid 1976 on ....

t7a
30th Dec 2019, 18:05
Don't think so Bloggs - I am on them and didn't arrive on XV until April '77!

talking horse
30th Dec 2019, 19:46
I moved to Laarbruch from the G-spot with 18 Sqn in 1993 and was there nearly until the end. We are banned from saying it was Better at Gutersloh, hence the phrase it was Guter at Bettersloh.

I think that at the time the 18 Sqn site (formerly 20 Sqn) at the NW corner was called Bronze.

When the Chinook apron was built there, the question was asked what the minimum clearance required from the rotor tips was. I think the answer was 3 metres. The apron and lamposts were then built with exactly 3 metres clearance from the rotors tips. Taxying in and out of there concentrated the mind as a tipstrike in a Chinook would be really bad.

Rigga
30th Dec 2019, 23:22
I moved to Laarbruch from the G-Spot with PCSF in 1993 to form the Chinook Team in PCMF. I was there for just a year, but this was the second of my three tours there on Buccaneers, Chinooks and Harriers. I returned again in 96 and decided to PVR as it closed in 1999. It was my only regular posting. Laarbruch was indeed the best of all the RAFG bases for its location and mostly for its local population of which I still have many friends in that area. I was there again this year.

weemonkey
30th Dec 2019, 23:50
I had three tours there (none on Tornadoes) and all I remember is sunshine and snow!

One plus tour [tonka] and I agree!!

weemonkey
30th Dec 2019, 23:51
I moved to Laarbruch from the G-Spot with PCSF in 1983 to form the Chinook Team in PCMF. I was there for just a year, but this was the second of my three tours there on Buccaneers, Chinooks and Harriers. I returned again in 96 and decided to PVR as it closed in 1999. It was my only regular posting. Laarbruch was indeed the best of all the RAFG bases for its location and mostly for its local population of which I still have many friends in that area. I was there again this year.
PM incoming!!

Fg Off Bloggs
31st Dec 2019, 11:13
Don't think so Bloggs - I am on them and didn't arrive on XV until April '77!

I'm only quoting, 'Peter', so challenge him if you like - I can provide an e-mail address.

langleybaston
31st Dec 2019, 13:17
I may well be wrong about the Laarbruch weather .................. I often was back in the day.
Forecast: sunshine and snow.

denachtenmai
31st Dec 2019, 15:29
I was on our squadron's transport Comet, in the middle 60's,
We had landed on 27 and taxied all the way past the ASF pan and to the right turn off to the pans at the bottom of 27.
After travelling a few yards into the dispersal we found that trees and pitot tubes are not good friends.:eek:
Fortunately no serious damage, one pitot head replaced and no Comet into dispersed pans again.

tcinbg
31st Dec 2019, 22:12
I may well be wrong about the Laarbruch weather .................. I often was back in the day.
Forecast: sunshine and snow.

Rings a bell, probably an AOCs parade in April, maybe 1969 or 70, on the main runway. It snowed, we departed at the trot. I believe the AOC was not impressed, hence we did it all again the following week.

denachtenmai
1st Jan 2020, 09:23
Laarbruch was always a favourite det. for us.
Loved the way a fog bank would appear above the heated pool in the early months of the year.:)
Loved the way all the heads broke off of the fire flails when one was discovered just over the road from the VASF pan and we had to hurriedly move 2 Canberras away from the quite large fire that ensued.

oldmansquipper
1st Jan 2020, 21:10
Laarbruch was a wonderful posting. 7 years and I loved every minute....

claron
2nd Jan 2020, 08:00
2 tours in RAFG, Laarbruch 80's and Bruggen 90's. Both the highlights of my 22yrs.
However Laarbruch wins hands down. Better laid out, and in my opinion a better location.
Happy days!!!

Video Mixdown
2nd Jan 2020, 10:34
Now overshadowed by the 1987 tragedy, but in the 1970’s the trek to Zeebrugge was a regular part of serving at Laarbruch.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/809x741/zeebrugge_ferry_6888eec1773ab6af1dbfa23232147bb07e209a49.jpg

RAFG
3rd Jan 2020, 09:51
Can anyone confirm that this pic of IISqn Phantom (found at the internet) ist taken at Leuchars? Must be around 1975/76 ...
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1011x615/unbenannt_48afcdd1dc1d95f63735a157677156b2069182d6.png

RAFG
3rd Jan 2020, 11:08
August 1976 TFM

Rigga
4th Jan 2020, 06:11
So, to add to the praise of Laarbruch, I also had tours at Bruggen and Gutersloh (and the three at Laarbruch) and I can firmly state that LBH won hands down with Gutersloh a close second. My wife and I had 11 years in all in RAFG and I think we made the most of it - some of it with thanks to Oldsquipperman.

It's Not Working
4th Jan 2020, 08:16
RAFG, the photo is not Laarbruch, LL didn’t have that mast in the background. If it did chances are I would have had to climb it at sometime or other.

Chris Kebab
4th Jan 2020, 09:29
Looks like Leuchars to me - the old hangar by the main pan.

Krystal n chips
4th Jan 2020, 09:47
" but in the 1970’s the trek to Zeebrugge was a regular part of serving at Laarbruch."

Ah yes, fond memories of the Antwerp tunnels....even more "entertaining " with a glider trailer in tow.

Never at LBH, but many visits c/o 431 as we got to go everywhere. Always a popular bolt hole when Bruggen decided go to war for a couple of days......also noted for having something ostensibly called a gliding club.....:E;)

oldmansquipper
4th Jan 2020, 10:26
“Krystal n”

I guess you are referring to TRGC - RAFGs premier gliding club? . ��

Captain Radar....
4th Jan 2020, 13:07
Can anyone confirm that this pic of IISqn Phantom (found at the internet) ist taken at Leuchars? Must be around 1975/76 ...
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1011x615/unbenannt_48afcdd1dc1d95f63735a157677156b2069182d6.png

It is Leuchars, we were on det there (TFM or APC?) and the aircrew threw 1000 pounders around, a bit of a change from their usual recce job. We erks lived under canvas by the SAR compound and took our turn at night doing armed guard (with pick axe handles) on Harriers. Unless I'm very much mistaken that's me (as a FLM) strapping the nav in with my mate Viv taking care of the pilot. Happy days.................................(and I do have some piccies of my time on II (AC) and later XV at Laarbruch somewhere but at the time we weren't allowed to take many and get away with it!)

langleybaston
4th Jan 2020, 15:23
So, to add to the praise of Laarbruch, I also had tours at Bruggen and Gutersloh (and the three at Laarbruch) and I can firmly state that LBH won hands down with Gutersloh a close second. My wife and I had 11 years in all in RAFG and I think we made the most of it - some of it with thanks to Oldsquipperman.

We managed 12 years. I wonder what the record is?
Substantially more, and of course some old scrotes hung on as ROs., Barrack Wardens and the like.

MPN11
4th Jan 2020, 17:42
Reading recent posts reminds me that, for many people of all ranks and persuasions, once you were on the RAFG circuit you stayed there. The rest of us never got a look in!!

ISTR a few Air Traffickers did RAFG/Shawbury Instructor/RAFG/Shawbury Examiner/RAFG etc. etc. ;)

Rigga
4th Jan 2020, 21:01
Its a bit late now, but the trick to getting back to RAFG was to apply for everywhere else as soon as you returned to UK.

I NEVER applied for Germany....always for Hong Kong, Cyprus, Gibraltar...and got Germany!

Krystal n chips
5th Jan 2020, 08:56
“Krystal n”

I guess you are referring to TRGC - RAFGs premier gliding club? . ��

Alas, that would be Phoenix :E:) still have a photo of a Mr G..F "expressing his sentiments " at an AGM........mind you, I did force myself to launch a few times from TRGC....just for the view ;)

Have to agree with Rigga about the posting strategy ..... and .you were far from alone here .....I'm sure it was a cunning ploy by Innsworth to reduce their workload.

Video Mixdown
5th Jan 2020, 09:55
I NEVER applied for Germany....always for Hong Kong, Cyprus, Gibraltar...and got Germany!

Same here!
You have to cast aside the rose-tinted glasses and admit that it was not all beer & skittles - I remember Mineval/Maxeval/Taceval season as hard, often unpleasant, work. But of course there were lots of pluses to compensate.

denachtenmai
5th Jan 2020, 10:55
Talking of Mineval/Maxeval/Taceval, we had a det. to Laarbruch and it turned out that a Taceval was in operation.
Everyone was in masks and protective clothing.
A couple of us went down to SHQ to exchange GBP into DM's, over 12 to the £ IIRC:), there we were accosted for not being properly dressed for the occasion.
This state went on for about another 2 days, no one had told RAFG that we never participated in any 'Vals. even at home.:}

NickB
6th Jan 2020, 10:49
I was posted into Laarbruch in June 1996, knowing that the base was on borrowed time.

On the 9th Jan 1997 (almost 23 years ago to the day), I was on a day shift in the Met Office (part of Ops Wg HQ) - it was early on in the morning and I generally watched every take off and landing, but on this morning I was talking to the forecaster Frank C about something when I heard a strange noise making me rush to the window. I later deduced that noise was the sound of an ejection seat being used in anger, but at the time all I saw was a Harrier hitting the runway hard, sliding along and then rolling inverting and exploding into a ball of flame. I've re-lived that moment a number of times in my head - part panic, part upset (I thought the pilot was still inside) and part professionalism - I NEED TO DO MY JOB! I jumped to and starting time-marking all the met instruments and proceeded with a 'crash observation' - my first in 5 years.
Very quickly a Puma launched and landed just opposite our office on the North side of the main runway and we quickly realised he was picking up the pilot. Thank God he managed to eject in time! I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention the pilots name here - D_n S_________r, but if you're reading this D_n, can I say, never have I been so relieved to hear you got out OK with I think just a broken angle/leg. I didn't know him, but it's funny how working in a tight knit FJ station like Laarbruch makes you feel like a family - cliche perhaps, but that's how it felt to me.

Happy days, the like of which will never be repeated again - I still consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity.

morton
6th Jan 2020, 15:07
Aug 74 to Aug 77 on 16 Squadron or re-titled to Zulu Squadron, Black Sector for exercise purposes. The area, looking at Google Earth, now looks like a solar panel farm. Incongruous for an area I always associated with being dark and wet. I arrived there the year before HAS’s were being built. As langleybastion has said, a lot of days were not too clever. I would not have taken my dog out on some of the nights our Aircraft used to go flying. Just the walk from the Hangar to the dispersal was bad enough and I certainly did not envy the Crews on those nights. We were soaked just strapping them in but then we could go and get a warming cup of tea and dry off whilst they went off into the dark and stormy night but still soaking.

One of the sights to behold and not seen after all the HAS’s were built was watching the water being ejected from along the leading edges when ‘blow’ was selected on after the Aircraft had sat outside overnight in wet weather.

Towards the end of my tour we had some brand new Buccs arrive with delivery mileage only in their log Books. A delight to be able to read the clearly marked cable identifications.

The pictures I have are of pans just to the West of our Hangar. We had an Open day and there was a four ship fly-by for those present. They couldn’t be too spirited in their flying as QRA (Pink Zone?) was quite adjacent.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x618/19_taxi_in_a00b9c317071fababa6bec7374c020aef04d25e1.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x654/20_taxi_in_9b90e084b50d683f089f31a8dd7ce869f1b9e3d7.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/973x579/21_display_end_919a9c5dd4b08034a78a819476635e2114ee4dcd.jpg

In 1976 we had an exceptional Summer though and Koblenz / Moselle were just down the road in our new duty free cars. Happy days.

Rigga
6th Jan 2020, 20:32
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1520x2000/411b8d9d_09dc_4ab3_9882_5bc8a32bd6c0_03b0f471cd3a3687bb0dda1 5a12f656ee08e4efd.jpeg
I was the last Chief Eng for NPFC/RAF(G)FTC and kept hold of this as we closed the club down. It now hangs in my study / Man cave

Krystal n chips
7th Jan 2020, 05:43
Talking of Mineval/Maxeval/Taceval, we had a det. to Laarbruch and it turned out that a Taceval was in operation.
Everyone was in masks and protective clothing.
A couple of us went down to SHQ to exchange GBP into DM's, over 12 to the £ IIRC:), there we were accosted for not being properly dressed for the occasion.
This state went on for about another 2 days, no one had told RAFG that we never participated in any 'Vals. even at home.:}

Ah, but, what you really needed during such times was......an orange bomb / gas / nuke / chemical / bullet proof armband marked 431 MU....wearing such did attract the purists ire from time to time, but non more so than one at Wildenrath one day, who, after the equivalent of the Reith lecture proclaimed he was personally going to ensure this sorry state of affairs would not be allowed to continue and we would be attired and playing with everybody else in future.......alas.!

Laarbruch also served Vino Plonko in the airmen's mess. Due to a series of "unfortunate incidents ", the MU driving section decided it would be a good idea to give the engineers a few days " helpful " driving instruction. This was actually quite interesting, however, we arrived at Laarbruch for lunch. All was going reasonably well at this point, until, we dined and duly consumed the one permitted small glass of plonk as we did when working there. ......the remaining days training did not involve Laarbruch and lunch.

skua
7th Jan 2020, 08:59
Ah Rigga, the NPFC, and the infamous Laarbruch Rallies! Dawn Patrols, Weeze, Goch,side trip to the Dams, what could be better! Thank you to you and your colleagues for organising them.

tcinbg
7th Jan 2020, 12:29
Tacevals were always interesting, especially in the winter time. It rained an awful lot at Tirstrup.

tcinbg
7th Jan 2020, 12:30
Nice view, didn't see much of it though. https://goo.gl/maps/eJxTQDQD2KM51kYA8

Rigga
7th Jan 2020, 17:46
Nice view, didn't see much of it though. https://goo.gl/maps/eJxTQDQD2KM51kYA8

Wow! I thought all that end was dug up for Sand!!

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Jan 2020, 19:52
Well, Riggs, it does say on the image that Google took the pic in 2010 - daresay it looks rather different now. Good view of where I used to get the UN-white Disco airborne over the speed-bump during the daily commute :)

Rigga
7th Jan 2020, 21:00
Happy New Year T&B!
I hope you're all well.
Your right - I didn't see the date.

RAFG
10th Jan 2020, 11:45
Anyone an idea where ZA446 is landing here in 1984?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x708/za446_to_xvsqn_in_1984_delievered_not_at_the_photo_e0939830f 43614fe154b2eb675d284f0b2b44872.jpg

Treble one
10th Jan 2020, 12:04
Aircraft ZA446 (1983 Panavia Tornado GR.4 C/N 234/BS076/3112) Photo by Chris Hall (Photo ID: AC706521) (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000706521.html)

Not sure how up to date that is now mind...

RAFG
10th Jan 2020, 13:57
But what about the airfield on the photo, it's maybe somewhere in Britain ...
None of the clutch bases so far.

jindabyne
10th Jan 2020, 14:27
Possibly Warton?

Dougie M
10th Jan 2020, 14:30
Just felt a shiver. Goose Bay

Chris Kebab
10th Jan 2020, 15:29
Yep - Goose Bay gets my vote - 26?

k3k3
10th Jan 2020, 16:25
Somewhere in North America, overhead power lines and brown painted buildings, I'd be inclined to think a US base.

Nolongerin
11th Jan 2020, 10:25
Possibly Nellis on Red Flag. MacRoberts Reply , F for Foxtrot, though it was F for Freddy in the day.

RAFG
11th Jan 2020, 11:39
No Goose Bay or Nellis Detachment in 1984. Or maybe the date is wrong ...

Chris Kebab
11th Jan 2020, 13:16
XV were at Maple Flag (via Goose) in 85 - so it *may* be a year out. I'm pretty sure your pic is Goose.

RAFEngO74to09
11th Jan 2020, 14:58
Definitely not Nellis AFB - no hangars like that anywhere near the touchdown point or indeed anywhere else on base.

White on green runway designator sign might be a clue.

RAFG
11th Jan 2020, 16:48
Seems to be Goose, the date is wrong!
This Phantom is also at ......? Leuchars?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/885x549/phant_9d522caac1298a2715b66920ec51b9960f1532fe.jpg

Captain Radar....
11th Jan 2020, 17:20
It is Leuchars, we were on det there (TFM or APC?) and the aircrew threw 1000 pounders around, a bit of a change from their usual recce job. We erks lived under canvas by the SAR compound and took our turn at night doing armed guard (with pick axe handles) on Harriers. Unless I'm very much mistaken that's me (as a FLM) strapping the nav in with my mate Viv taking care of the pilot. Happy days.................................(and I do have some piccies of my time on II (AC) and later XV at Laarbruch somewhere but at the time we weren't allowed to take many and get away with it!)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/886x701/leu_with_ii_2__042c01b3101522be276fb153ebe4b0173ea8c9e7.jpg
By coincidence one of the few piccies I have from that det happens to be of the same aircraft.

EXFIN
11th Jan 2020, 20:26
Anyone an idea where ZA446 is landing here in 1984?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x708/za446_to_xvsqn_in_1984_delievered_not_at_the_photo_e0939830f 43614fe154b2eb675d284f0b2b44872.jpg

Landing R26 at Goose Jun ‘89

Krystal n chips
12th Jan 2020, 08:56

Minus the pick axe guard bit, when 17 went to Colt for a week, fly in Monday, out Friday and nobody was really sure why we were there, we too were accommodated in tents, on the sports field, and were permitted to use the "somewhat basic " facilities of the sports pavilion for personal hygiene as they say in polite circles.......however, with commendable efficiency, in contrast to parting with money, the admin world duly stopped our LOA commencing on the Monday and not restoring it until the following week.

RAFG
12th Jan 2020, 12:44
@ Captain Radar: Is this really the same detachment? on your (and my first) photo the triangle on the tail is white, but on the 2nd photo it's red, as it was aroung mid 72-74 ...
regards RAFG

RAFG
12th Jan 2020, 12:49
Goose Bay or Nellis?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x660/15and_16sqn_goose_bay_oder_red_flag_2452bbc191b978bd7cd6f36c dceba177d3c2c4b7.jpg

Onceapilot
12th Jan 2020, 13:05
Nellis.:)

OAP

k3k3
12th Jan 2020, 18:03
I agree, Nellis.

Captain Radar....
12th Jan 2020, 18:08
@ Captain Radar: Is this really the same detachment? on your (and my first) photo the triangle on the tail is white, but on the 2nd photo it's red, as it was aroung mid 72-74 ...
regards RAFG
Hi RAFG,
The first pic you posted on 3 Jan of XV 464 is the the same aircraft on the det in '76. The red badged 486 was at Leuchars by the look of it parked next to 43 Sqn aircraft but not at the same time as the '76 det. Red markings were before my time.

EXFIN
12th Jan 2020, 18:13
March ‘90 possibly?

claron
13th Jan 2020, 07:44
Definitely Nellis. Could be Green Flag 3/87, I was looking after 'EA' in the background.

RAFG
17th Jan 2020, 09:53
Maybe a bit more difficult, but anyone recognizing these ones?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/882x547/xw527_o_16sqn_7d5c8d5277b1e4562bfd12ead2d1d358e493a04d.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/884x544/xx885_b_16sqn_d7a93d711fc5d85af5178e42f82e71d4f8759331.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1066/xz103_i_iisqn_fc99440dc85cf5fe44b9c9cf116cec3307f55e1a.jpg

Jobza Guddun
17th Jan 2020, 10:30
16 Sqn jet looks to be at Honington.

Fg Off Bloggs
17th Jan 2020, 11:55
16 Sqn jets on ASP at Honington. XV Sqn jet looks like Lossiemouth.

RAFG
18th Jan 2020, 07:03
no date, no location

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x560/xv864_s_3a737c9cb3c6fe678a91053cf4b2f550d0597faf.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/883x547/xv864s_7fc2cfdc8e4242c68e1c51afa8885f08b1272cb1.jpg

Jobza Guddun
18th Jan 2020, 08:58
Bottom pic of XV864 is definitely Alpha Hard at Lossie, the old 237 OCU line.

Ridger
18th Jan 2020, 09:26
Very quickly a Puma launched and landed just opposite our office on the North side of the main runway and we quickly realised he was picking up the pilot. Thank God he managed to eject in time! I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention the pilots name here - D_n S_________r, but if you're reading this D_n, can I say, never have I been so relieved to hear you got out OK with I think just a broken angle/leg.

I was ground-crew for D_n, not on the day in question but I remember it well. Really really nice guy, think he was a JENGO before becoming flight crew. I'll need a GR7 driver to comment really but I think it was a flap controller failure which meant the flaps didn't retract when the nozzles were moved 'forward' and the word on the street was he was the only pilot to have survived this failure. The pic below shows he did well to eject in time! I did his first see-off when he returned to work. Understandably he checked the flaps quite a few times!

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure AVM Harv Smyth, the new UK Space Commander and similarly nice guy was also on 3(F) at the same time.

http://www.ukserials.com/images/losses/zd377.jpg

Rigga
18th Jan 2020, 10:04
I was ground-crew for D_n, not on the day in question but I remember it well. Really really nice guy, think he was a JENGO before becoming flight crew. I'll need a GR7 driver to comment really but I think it was a flap controller failure which meant the flaps didn't retract when the nozzles were moved 'forward' and the word on the street was he was the only pilot to have survived this failure. The pic below shows he did well to eject in time! I did his first see-off when he returned to work. Understandably he checked the flaps quite a few times!

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure AVM Harv Smyth, the new UK Space Commander and similarly nice guy was also on 3(F) at the same time.

http://www.ukserials.com/images/losses/zd377.jpg
My wife ended up as a witness to that as she saw it as it flew over her car as she approached the Main Gate on her way to work in SCAF.
This incident (and the three week clean-up after it) changed the views of many of Laarbruch's "Fire Orders" in that the direction of the wind was taken into consideration of "Composite Material Fires" leading to alternate Muster Areas to avoid smoke inhalation from them.

Major Cong
19th Jan 2020, 08:33
Happy days, I have the aerobatics trophy 😎

Major Cong
19th Jan 2020, 08:36
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1520x2000/411b8d9d_09dc_4ab3_9882_5bc8a32bd6c0_03b0f471cd3a3687bb0dda1 5a12f656ee08e4efd.jpeg
I was the last Chief Eng for NPFC/RAF(G)FTC and kept hold of this as we closed the club down. It now hangs in my study / Man cave

oldmansquipper
19th Jan 2020, 14:08

I have one for the best/most accurate approach and spot landing (I think it was in G-AVIA) somewhere....

but here is my late brother displaying ‘our’ Chippy at the Laarbruch Rally 82 ish.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1580x2000/f684e77e_b4d7_49c8_8a77_91dcf7832ef1_df3359fc5d404d1fbc763e0 27eacb130ef538dac.jpeg

NickB
22nd Jan 2020, 09:47
My wife ended up as a witness to that as she saw it as it flew over her car as she approached the Main Gate on her way to work in SCAF.
This incident (and the three week clean-up after it) changed the views of many of Laarbruch's "Fire Orders" in that the direction of the wind was taken into consideration of "Composite Material Fires" leading to alternate Muster Areas to avoid smoke inhalation from them.

Different incident I think Rigga - the one your wife witnessed was in July 98 when a GR7 sucked in a buzzard on finals and crashed just before the 27 threshold... thankfully the pilot banged out safely, but the airframe was 'toast'! I was on AL at the time and missed the event.

IIRC we lost 5 jets (& thankfully no pilots) in my 3 year tour - one was in the USA flying ULL... I was told at the time the jet hit a ridge and that the impact initiated ejection. I think the pilot was badly injured but survived, although I'm not sure if he returned to flying, at least while Laarbruch was open.

I remember on one occasion seeing OC Ops (SF) sprinting out of Ops Wing HQ to ATC - I knew then something had gone down and was proved correct - GR7 with engine failure over Xanten I think.

Rigga
24th Jan 2020, 22:32
Quite possible that it was the wrong incident. I must say my short jaunt into harriers had the worst accident history of the types I was working on throughout my 24 year career.

NickB
27th Jan 2020, 09:38
Rigga - Yes, it did have a bit of a habit of falling out of the sky, but thankfully in my time no-one lost their life (in jets from Laarbruch).
Sadly whilst I was based there, Wittering lost their Station Commander in the nasty accident at Castle Howard.
Were you on 3 (F) whilst at Laarbruch?

Rigga
27th Jan 2020, 16:55
Rigga - Yes, it did have a bit of a habit of falling out of the sky, but thankfully in my time no-one lost their life (in jets from Laarbruch).
Sadly whilst I was based there, Wittering lost their Station Commander in the nasty accident at Castle Howard.
Were you on 3 (F) whilst at Laarbruch?

I think there were three in the last six/seven years of Laarbruch (two on the runway, last one - in a greenhouse) of which I was in MEAS/ASF for at least four of those years 93-94 (PCMF) and 96-99 (HMF).
Luckily, when at Laarbruch, I never made it to a Sqn - so was able to enjoy most weekends away with family AND friends instead of just friends!

RAFG
30th Jan 2020, 04:24
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1010x628/xm276_ae6676ff518de404ca5bb6c43eff97c820d76142.jpg
Anyone an idea where the pic was taken?

Stitchbitch
30th Jan 2020, 06:11
The loss rate continued when we got back to the U.K, with W_z and W_m senior joining the club. Interesting time to be a Squipper or Armourer. 🤣

lsh
30th Jan 2020, 10:02
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1010x628/xm276_ae6676ff518de404ca5bb6c43eff97c820d76142.jpg
Anyone an idea where the pic was taken?

RAF Aldergrove ?

lsh

OwnNav
4th Feb 2020, 10:46
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1332x720/screen_shot_2020_02_03_at_17_10_02_195b57d2296d339c3122805c1 9017ebc51448e99.png
From Witham MOD sales.

Blanket Stacker
4th Feb 2020, 20:54
It could be RAF Aldergrove. The Officers' Mess behind looks right.

RAFG
21st Feb 2020, 08:42
Good Morning,

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/797x421/xk952_c8ace1ea4093e942a3fd5a54bbf0950e269a2589.jpg
another Pic again without location maybe 1969 ...

EXFIN
21st Feb 2020, 13:14
Good Morning,

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/797x421/xk952_c8ace1ea4093e942a3fd5a54bbf0950e269a2589.jpg
another Pic again without location maybe 1969 ...
looks like Lossiemouth?

Jobza Guddun
22nd Feb 2020, 11:33
First one looks like Aldergrove to me, second one Lossie.

RAFG
5th Apr 2020, 12:26
Just to keep this thread alive ...
Any more memories or photos of Laarbruch times?

Nolongerin
6th Apr 2020, 06:27
Over this weekend I refurbished a garden bench ‘acquired’ from the Laarbruch Golf Club on closure. Fond memories of two tours at Laarparts, Buccs and Harriers.

All Laarbruch golfers were aware of the rules if HAS 39 doors were open or an aircraft was parked on it, it meant one hole was out of play. During my first tour, I wasn’t so keen on golfers, and being in position that often influenced the use of HAS 39, I was not inclined to keep aircraft away from that pan. On returning on the Harrier tour and occupying the same HAS Site, and now being a avid golfer, and being in a slightly higher position of influence , I certainly helped to keep all 9 holes in play.

I for apologise my crass behaviour ( depending on your point of view on golf and golfers, you may interpret the apology for my actions against either tour as you wish)

RJIngle
17th Apr 2020, 14:33
Hi gents, I am not a pilot so have crashed your forum to hopefully get some info on Laarbruch 1971-74 when my dad was Sqn Ldr there (OC Electrical Eng Sqn) CO's were Edwards, Simmonds from memory. I am building a portfolio of memories for him and models too, so I was after some authentic plane idents, for his era.
2 Squadron Phantom FGR2 fitted with AWG12 & SLRR
15 & 16 Squadron Buccaneers
An old Hunter there too, but I don't have a squadron number.
Thanks

Adrian Williams
8th Feb 2021, 01:54
That would be viv George, and Phil Buckley, along with myself Roger Pilbeam and a lad we called stumpy we were the bicycle display team and mamas chicken and jaga schnitzel eating team,
I have vivid memories of viv sat sideways on the toilet, throwing up into the sink with the taps running and then eating the undigested mushrooms out of his vomit.
I also have fond memories of Melice from one February fraus night.
Very happy days. Would love to get back in touch.

RAFEngO74to09
9th Feb 2021, 00:53
Plenty of Phantom FGR2 photos on line - search using the correct II(AC) Sqn.

II(AC) Sqn Association here:

https://www.shinytwo.com/phantom.html

Plenty of XV Sqn & 16 Sqn Buccaneer photos on line too.

On line copies of RAF Laarbruch Station magazine - "The Laarbruch Listener" from 1971 onwards here.

https://sites.google.com/site/raflaarbruch/laarbruch-listener-1

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/600x400/image_098fe5d96cd387ebaa6dcdc96ceac27b29f2b4ab.png

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/440x299/image_043d90069ae18fdf79e13b359829dce53436c4f8.png

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/440x304/image_e36d5afa1cfc3f0d46f69bbb9a844c7b19de2867.png

RAFEngO74to09
9th Feb 2021, 00:53
Hi gents, I am not a pilot so have crashed your forum to hopefully get some info on Laarbruch 1971-74 when my dad was Sqn Ldr there (OC Electrical Eng Sqn) CO's were Edwards, Simmonds from memory. I am building a portfolio of memories for him and models too, so I was after some authentic plane idents, for his era.
2 Squadron Phantom FGR2 fitted with AWG12 & SLRR
15 & 16 Squadron Buccaneers
An old Hunter there too, but I don't have a squadron number.
Thanks
See post above

Video Mixdown
9th Feb 2021, 07:34
Plenty of Phantom FGR2 photos on line - search using the correct II(AC) Sqn.

II(AC) Sqn Association here:

https://www.shinytwo.com/phantom.html

Plenty of XV Sqn & 16 Sqn Buccaneer photos on line too.

On line copies of RAF Laarbruch Station magazine - "The Laarbruch Listener" from 1971 onwards here.

https://sites.google.com/site/raflaarbruch/laarbruch-listener-1

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/600x400/image_098fe5d96cd387ebaa6dcdc96ceac27b29f2b4ab.png

The II(AC) FGR.2 doesn't look right without its recce pod.

Adrian Williams
10th Feb 2021, 02:25
That was my 18th birthday on that detachment and I was on fire picket, drunk as a skunk and burned my backside on the paraffin heater in our tent when I sat on it.
The pubs in the village closed at 10 pm and we went from the pub to a shop which sold beefburgers at night or we had half a yak and chips from the chip shop.
My time at laarbruch on 2 sdn as a flm was the happiest time of my life, oh to be 18 and do it all again.
Would love to meet up with any of the flms from 2sdn again, pick on one you pick on ten was the battle cry and riding shotgun to the lox bay with Tim covens in a green and yellow 153 was the highlight of a swing shift..

Rigga
10th Feb 2021, 20:08
Hunters were modified to use a Bucc Machmeter And used as a Bucc trainer (and as station hack) and during my time they were serviced by VASS (Penguin Airways) - they weren’t allocated to a Sqn.

Storeman Biffo
9th Sep 2023, 17:34
Hi All,
on the scrounge, I am looking for any stories, information, photos etc relating to Laarbruch Supply Squadron, with a view to possibly creating a display for the museum, if we can get enough material together to justify doing so.

If anyone has any old documentation items, especially any Supply forms, etc they would be willing to loan or donate or photograph etc to help create a lasting memory of the Squadron please give me a shout.

Sadly the main Supply Building has gone and is now a car park for the Airport, as is POL, so any photos would be brilliant.

Names and dates would always be helpful if possible to, although if your memory is like mine that's out of the question lol.

Thanks, here's hoping.

chopper2004
10th Sep 2023, 18:04
3 decades ago I picked up a copy of Flyer magazine with an article on the station flying club, so the contributing writer / flyers went for a visit and hosted by a Tornado pilot in 1992, though at the the time looked like a grey Tornado F3 was visiting, as the author got to sit in. With the help of the `said F3 pilot, everyone piled into the flying club Cessna for some mock ACM lol

Anyhow had a gander on the web,

History (http://laarfly.co.uk/History.htm#CHAPTER_4_-_THE_1990S_AND_THE_FINAL_DAYS_RAF)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/850x582/aero_advertising_shot_enhanced_40a2aa7593cb0b179b9d3ef7d0ad9 b7c724beb45.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x596/walter_extra_ea230_16_jun_8_efe7e90cd7fbb5313c1e0285341d52a5 538757a4.jpg

cheers

Maoraigh1
10th Sep 2023, 18:50
History (http://laarfly.co.uk/History.htm#CHAPTER_4_-_THE_1990S_AND_THE_FINAL_DAYS_RAF) Pic of G-ATVX. I (no service links) now part-own her with an ex-Laarbruch RAF Police guy.

Stitchbitch
10th Sep 2023, 23:07
I think there were three in the last six/seven years of Laarbruch (two on the runway, last one - in a greenhouse) of which I was in MEAS/ASF for at least four of those years 93-94 (PCMF) and 96-99 (HMF).
Luckily, when at Laarbruch, I never made it to a Sqn - so was able to enjoy most weekends away with family AND friends instead of just friends!

Yep, one on takeoff which should have been non survivable onto the runway, one on finals (birdstrike) and one on an airtest. All nice blokes. :ok:

bspatz
11th Sep 2023, 13:36
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1786/scan0010_copy_9e5f245281e6403e89b41b2a9d5e1e59e2f8a40b.jpg
One of the Two Rivers' gliders had a field landing accident and I asked 2 Sqn if they could take a photo to assist with the investigation. Fortunately nobody was hurt and this is one of the photos that was taken by a Phantom.

NutLoose
11th Sep 2023, 15:51
Hunters were modified to use a Bucc Machmeter And used as a Bucc trainer (and as station hack) and during my time they were serviced by VASS (Penguin Airways) - they weren’t allocated to a Sqn.

Who painted a bloody great Penguin on our Puma sponson as we were transiting through, much to the disgust of Dick Langworthy who had a spitting his dummy out moment when he saw it.

Kal_Manfiltercleaner
25th Sep 2023, 14:19
20 Sqn was "Bronze" sector.