PDA

View Full Version : Sir Tim Clark to retire in June 2020

EK7777
24th Dec 2019, 12:06
An internal memo sent by Emirates chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum on Tuesday informed company staff of Mr Clark's departure in June 2020, an Emirates spokeswoman confirmed.

Mr Clark, who turned 70 in November, will continue as a consultant to the airline, according to the memo.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/emirates-chief-tim-clark-to-retire-in-june-2020-1.955621

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/emirates-airline-president-steps-down-1.68661219

Dirigible
24th Dec 2019, 13:21
His legacy will continue for years as the Airline tries to deal with his reckless commitment to the A380 program. His 2 groomed successors have resigned and an unpopular muppet remains just below him in the hierarchy. Dark skies ahead.

BigGeordie
24th Dec 2019, 18:12
Staying on as a consultant I see. He will still be running things behind the scenes with an Emirati out front for the press.

fatbus
24th Dec 2019, 20:22
Proof of reckless commitment to the 380 ? I guess you drive a tractor . We all have a dislike for him but none of us know the inner workings and financial side of the group (9 th floor stuff ), Including the rumours of who was planned to replace him. Same applies to the profit share amount . Everyone seems to know someone who knows someone etc.

halas
27th Dec 2019, 07:30
Having a go at his order for 380's is not an insult to you or other 380 personnel.
History will show if it was a good decision or not.
Their initial order of 350's was cancelled. The fleet would be already be more efficient with 50 less 380's and 50 350's.
Removing the 330's was, in my opinion, not a good move considering the largest and closest market is regulated by seat numbers per week.
Yes now there is an order for these airframes. Now.
However this seems a knee-jerk reaction to the change in market that had been forseen years ago, and then seemingly ignored for the case of more larger frames.
I think if SMF were around he wouldn't have made the same decisions.
Anyway, this is all history.
It's STC's successor that gives me a lot less hope for the future.
As if l care.

halas

UltraFan
28th Dec 2019, 03:16
He should've left 5-7 years ago. Then we'd remember him as a person who built an amazing airline in the desert. Now, all we remember is his mishaps with plane orders, unsuccessful attempts to influence aircraft builders, and meaningless interviews that mostly show his disconnection with the industry. A very late departure, indeed.

Yarra
29th Dec 2019, 01:44
One of his “Successors” did not resign, he was shown the door.

PanAmFalcon
29th Dec 2019, 06:54
One of his “Successors” did not resign, he was shown the door.
why thou? I mean he must have really messed up to be shown the door like that

Pif Paf
29th Dec 2019, 08:25
Didn’t one potential successor give a presentation that was a little to near the truth, showed dysfunctionality within ek, upset a lot of locals who saw their mini empires within company in Jeopardy! He was promptly moved sideways, has since left!

aeropix
29th Dec 2019, 19:18
He should've left 5-7 years ago....Now, all we remember is his mishaps... and meaningless interviews that mostly show his disconnection with the industry. A very late departure, indeed.

And on the same topic his disconnection with customers. So many small things have been cost cut (for example Bailey's Irish Cream, food selection/quantity and cream for milk and coffee in First class) that customers care about. I've noticed after several years of using Delta on leave instead of Emirates, that the difference between the two airlines is that the service standards on EK are dictated by arrogance (i.e. this is what WE think customers should have, and nothing more) while Delta -and many of EK's competitors- are totally customer focused (i.e. this is what They think CUSTOMERS want).

This culture difference permeates the airline. For pilots and employees it means we are only given what THEY are willing to give us (i.e. no pay increase for 7 years, withdrawal of Buddy Passes, terrible Jumpseat policy, Indian crew food) while Delta and competitors try to give employees what they actually want (i.e. good staff travel, real profit sharing, real bidding system). The irony is that this kind of disconnect has led to both unhappy staff and unhappy passengers, the opposite of the stated goal of the "owner".

I doubt that this can be overcome with the coming changes, but I keep holding out hope.

PanAmFalcon
30th Dec 2019, 16:23
And on the same topic his disconnection with customers. So many small things have been cost cut (for example Bailey's Irish Cream, food selection/quantity and cream for milk and coffee in First class) that customers care about. I've noticed after several years of using Delta on leave instead of Emirates, that the difference between the two airlines is that the service standards on EK are dictated by arrogance (i.e. this is what WE think customers should have, and nothing more) while Delta -and many of EK's competitors- are totally customer focused (i.e. this is what They think CUSTOMERS want).

This culture difference permeates the airline. For pilots and employees it means we are only given what THEY are willing to give us (i.e. no pay increase for 7 years, withdrawal of Buddy Passes, terrible Jumpseat policy, Indian crew food) while Delta and competitors try to give employees what they actually want (i.e. good staff travel, real profit sharing, real bidding system). The irony is that this kind of disconnect has led to both unhappy staff and unhappy passengers, the opposite of the stated goal of the "owner".

I doubt that this can be overcome with the coming changes, but I keep holding out hope.
thats a load of bs as far as customer oriented is concerned. I fly delta regularly and they’re anything but customer focused. I can find better food at a Turkish prison than at delta or any of the legacy carriers.
Emirates is a lot more customer focused. Relatively large portions and meals even on short flights. Although I have seen the quantity go down, the food is still pretty decent with a good presentation.

while how they treat them employees... that’s another story.

PanAmFalcon
30th Dec 2019, 16:24
Didn’t one potential successor give a presentation that was a little to near the truth, showed dysfunctionality within ek, upset a lot of locals who saw their mini empires within company in Jeopardy! He was promptly moved sideways, has since left!
if that’s the case then Emirates might be another gf