PDA

View Full Version : European holiday using Turboprop

Twitcher
19th Dec 2019, 19:51
For a change of plan next year I fancy going somewhere by turboprop instead of an Easy Airbus.
Ideally to the south of France of Spain or similar 'warm' destination from a London regional airport.
Which airline/route would guarantee a flight in an ATR, Dash 8, Saab etc?

OpsSix
19th Dec 2019, 21:49
From the UK, I'd imagine Flybe would be the best option on a Q400.

If you can find the routes flown, Hop and Air Nostrum use ATR72-600's should you fancy connecting once out there.

Harry Wayfarers
20th Dec 2019, 05:34
SOU might be considered a London regional airport, with an airport rail station and just 1hr 45mins from Waterloo, not sure what may have gone on as a result of the Flybe restructuring but SOU did have some interesting turboprop routes

rog747
20th Dec 2019, 07:17
Yes from SOU you can go on a Dash 8 Q400 to Menorca on a charter flight (booking a TUI package holiday) or to Verona for Lake Garda and the Dolomite's (Hols via Inghams Holidays)

https://www.southamptonairport.com/destinations/

There a few nice French destinations too, including Perpignan - you will have to check if they are all on a Q400 - most are...

Flybe have canned quite a few other leisure routes from SOU for next summer but Virgin may rethink that....

Kit Sanbumps KG
2nd Jan 2020, 05:46
Having endured the misery of the Dash 8 far more than I’d wish to, I cannot imagine why the OP would want to do so out of choice, and on a long(ish) flight, and for pleasure. Add the possibility of being subjected to Flybe’s appalling customer service and ritual humiliation, and I’d be staying at home. The ATR is slightly better, but neither is anywhere near as ‘comfortable’ (and I use that word cautiously) as easyJet.

Cymmon
2nd Jan 2020, 07:40
I managed Samarkand to Urgench on a An-24, was a shade under 2 hours.... Sorry for the thread drift.

chevvron
2nd Jan 2020, 14:52
I've flown the Trinidad - Tobago shuttle in a Dash 8 and Warsaw - Goleniow (Szczecin) in an ATR 72 and I have to say the latter type was more prefereable.

thetimesreader84
2nd Jan 2020, 15:23
Guernsey on an Aurigny ATR? Lovely island to visit, and it might just be short enough to avoid permanent hearing damage.

rog747
2nd Jan 2020, 15:27
London to NQY on a Dash 8 then connect to take a Twin Otter to the Scilly's?

pax britanica
2nd Jan 2020, 17:54
A bit harsh on turboprops, not flown Dash 8 but most of the others inc twotters in regular service around the Caribbean and really like the sensation of flying as the props change pitch and spool up for take off. Also a great view as mostly high wing. watching the landing gear deploy/retract is interesting too. But it is horses for courses and they aren't made for long trips

Harry Wayfarers
2nd Jan 2020, 20:21
A bit harsh on turboprops, not flown Dash 8 but most of the others inc twotters in regular service around the Caribbean and really like the sensation of flying as the props change pitch and spool up for take off. Also a great view as mostly high wing. watching the landing gear deploy/retract is interesting too. But it is horses for courses and they aren't made for long trips

BZZ then up the east coast, a refuel and a Scotch pie in FSS, then down the west coast and back in to BZZ, literally all day listening and vibrating to an HS780 and 2 dart engines, that was punishment indeed!

rog747
3rd Jan 2020, 08:50
My last turboprop sojourn was last summer on a BE Q400 from SOU - VRN to go to Lake Garda for my Hols.
Flight time was 2h 20m and my ''prop'' threshold was being definitely reached lol
I had front row with extra leg room - comfort was acceptable I suppose, but in-flight service was lacking. Flight was full, bar 1 empty seat next to me, 77 pax.

Previously my long turboprop flights was an all-nighter in 1981 from LPL to Palma on a BMA Viscount - 4h 45m (it was free - I worked for BMA)
Came home 2 weeks later on a Laker DC-10, back row 3 seats to myself.

DaveReidUK
3rd Jan 2020, 17:08
BZZ then up the east coast, a refuel and a Scotch pie in FSS, then down the west coast and back in to BZZ, literally all day listening and vibrating to an HS780 and 2 dart engines, that was punishment indeed!

OK, I'll be the first to bite - where on earth is FSS ?

diffident
3rd Jan 2020, 19:50
OK, I'll be the first to bite - where on earth is FSS ?

RAF Kinloss

DaveReidUK
3rd Jan 2020, 20:22
RAF Kinloss

Thanks. Presumably derived from nearby Forres.

SpringHeeledJack
4th Jan 2020, 05:53
I suppose that after 2hrs, the small cabin and higher noise of the Q400 would become tiring (by modern standards), so UK-Italy/Spain et al would be the limit. Even 2-3hrs on a regional jet can be a bind comfort-wise, and you don't have the noise levels to deal with. I have to say I do enjoy flying on turboprop aircraft as the lower speeds and altitude give the impression that you're flying rather than the usual. Also the embarkation/disembarkation process somehow makes the experience different/connected.

Twitcher
4th Jan 2020, 16:39
Some good info here, thanks for the prompts. I know noisy prop aircraft aren't luxurious but never looked out the window to see spinny things in a flight before. ATR floats my boat I think.

Harry Wayfarers
5th Jan 2020, 21:25
I suppose that after 2hrs, the small cabin and higher noise of the Q400 would become tiring (by modern standards), so UK-Italy/Spain et al would be the limit. Even 2-3hrs on a regional jet can be a bind comfort-wise, and you don't have the noise levels to deal with. I have to say I do enjoy flying on turboprop aircraft as the lower speeds and altitude give the impression that you're flying rather than the usual. Also the embarkation/disembarkation process somehow makes the experience different/connected.

Yes, my longest on regional jets was BHX/DUS/KBP/DUS/BHX all the way there and back on CRJ50's, as much as I hate packed airliners, screaming kids and the like, it was kind of plush to be travelling in 'Executive Jets' but the CRJ is kind of cramped and uncomfortable once the novelty wears off ... Give me an F28/F70 anyday!

chevvron
6th Jan 2020, 10:13
I once did Heathrow - Warsaw in an Emb 195 and it was very pleasant. Although narrow body (2 + 2 abreast) it seemed very roomy due to the huge windows making it very light inside.

Groundloop
6th Jan 2020, 11:21
Flight time was 2h 20m and my ''prop'' threshold was being definitely reached lol
I had front row with extra leg room - comfort was acceptable I suppose,

Never sit near the front on a turboprop. The vibration and noise from the propeller wash hitting the fuselage is very high. The rear of the Q400 cabin is significantly quieter - depending on your definition of quiet!

TCAS FAN
6th Jan 2020, 13:58
SOU might be considered a London regional airport, with an airport rail station and just 1hr 45mins from Waterloo, not sure what may have gone on as a result of the Flybe restructuring but SOU did have some interesting turboprop routes

London Waterloo is 1 hour 6 minutes on fast train to Southampton Airport, 1 hour 15 minutes on semi fast. Station is about 50 metres from the Terminal. Premier Inn budget hotel about 200 metres from the Terminal. Plenty of European routes on Flybe/ Virgin Connect Q400s, Channel Islands on Aurigny DO228 and Flybe/Blue Islands or Aurigny ATR 72.

TCU
6th Jan 2020, 17:59
Sorry for thread drift, but if you want turboprop heaven, go exotic and come down to Africa. A recent series of flights for me in Kenya comprised:

Wilson - Olkiombo DHC7
Olkiombo - Keekorok DHC6
Keekorok - Ol Seki DHC6
Ol Seki - Musiara DHC6
Musiara - Masera DHC7
Masera - Wilson DHC7
Wilson - Malindi DHC8(3)
Malindi - Wilson DHC8(3)

The first six flights Air Kenya, the last pair Silverstone (who recently stuffed an F50 off the end of the runway at WIL)

A few years ago I did a just what you are thinking on a trip to DUS, flying Flybe SOU-MAN, MAN-DUS with the plan of flying back DUS-SOU. Unfortunately the return flight was cancelled, but Flybe did a splendid job and put me up in a nice hotel and sent me home via BHX the next day.

PAXboy
7th Jan 2020, 00:29
I recall a trip in a Viscount in 1972 from Salisbury (Rhodesia as was) to JNB. The machine could not climb above the thunderstorm and too far a diversion - so we went through a large part of it at 16,000. Not very comfortable. Overall, the Viscount was wonderful and the last time I was on one was probably 1986 or 87 on the LHR-IOM route before the 146 entered service.

I've been on about a dozen turbo prop types and found them all pretty reasonable (other than a Saab 340 over the winter mountains of Austria!) and agree that one should sit towards the back. My last was an ATR for BHX-IOM in 2017. Just take your noise cancelling headphones - even if you don't play any music - just have them on to muffle the sound.

JSCL
9th Jan 2020, 15:29
Due to fly Geneva-Isle of Man end of February direct. Not entirely sure I'm looking forward to nearly 3hrs on a Q400 if I'm honest!

750XL
9th Jan 2020, 15:53
Bit of a thread drift, apologies, bit Air Greenland/Air Iceland do a fair few 3 hour + flights between.... You guessed it.... Greenland and Iceland!

Nuweiba
12th Jan 2020, 13:28
Personally I prefer the Q400 to the ATR, though I do miss the BI Jersey-Geneva and Zurich flights. Always managed to get the first row seats.

skerry
18th Jan 2020, 20:01
Last week I flew LIS-ALC on a TAP Express/White Airways ATR72, exactly two hours; with a window seat I did enjoy watching the Iberian geography drift past at our low level . My first ever flight, at the age of nine months, was about thirteen hours London-Kano on a BOAC Britannia. Although I flew on Britannias a number of times (according to my JuniorJet Club logbook) I have no memory of those flights, and I do wonder how the Whispering Giant compares to the modern turboprop. Does anyone have any idea about the seat pitch on a Britannia back in the day, the noise level, and even just how many seats abreast it was?

rog747
19th Jan 2020, 06:48
Last week I flew LIS-ALC on a TAP Express/White Airways ATR72, exactly two hours; with a window seat I did enjoy watching the Iberian geography drift past at our low level . My first ever flight, at the age of nine months, was about thirteen hours London-Kano on a BOAC Britannia. Although I flew on Britannias a number of times (according to my JuniorJet Club logbook) I have no memory of those flights, and I do wonder how the Whispering Giant compares to the modern turboprop. Does anyone have any idea about the seat pitch on a Britannia back in the day, the noise level, and even just how many seats abreast it was?

I flew many times going on a MED package holiday with my family on a Britannia with British Eagle, BUA, Britannia AW, Caledonian Air Spain and Monarch (from the age of 7 to 16)
6 abreast seating, and it was not too bad for noise except the prop sync drone

117 pax on the BY 102 series a/c and around 130 pax or so on 300 series B/Eagle and the others, with Monarch having 143 pax.
leg room was always fine apart from Monarch seemed abit less.
Usually always cold meals on all the IT Tour flights we went on.

Cruising at around 350mph at up to FL250
Palma was around 3 hours, Malaga iirc was 3.45
I went to PMI BCN RMI AGP LJU TCI VCE MUC BSL PSA BOJ & to another airport in the south of Spain for a resort called Rota (maybe Seville?)
Lunn Poly Holidays (British Eagle) had a nice hotel there right on the beach called Hotel Playa de la Luz