PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Government

tnuc
19th Dec 2019, 10:39
Seems like Queensland Gov is on a recruitment drive, positions recently advertised in Cairns, Horn island and now for a Chief Pilot as well.
Hard to find any detailed information, anyone have any information or views ? Being government run what do they do ?
Any idea what the operational culture like ?

Office Update
19th Dec 2019, 10:45
If you are currently looking for a position as flight crew, it's very simple! Just apply.!!
You can always say no later on; but once the application process closes, it's too late.

catseye
6th Oct 2020, 10:37
Director Safety and Quality actually retired to drive his Winnebago around the State and Oz. Change of management probably coming as the PSBA being broken up with the helo ops going to Polair.

Al Fentanyl
8th Oct 2020, 10:14
the PSBA being broken up with the helo ops going to Polair.

Where did you get that info? Genuine question, not a sh!t stir. PM me if sensitive. Ex-POLAIR.

ersa
8th Oct 2020, 10:39
Highly unlikely that polair will merge with qgs

tail wheel
8th Oct 2020, 20:19
I don't think they can hire until the management change after 31 October?

9th Oct 2020, 12:36
For a start, because of the nature of the flying, operating under any type of an AOC or having a commercial operator involved will never work unless the pilot ranks are increased by a factor of at least four.

catseye
9th Oct 2020, 14:29
Al check email

Square Bear
9th Oct 2020, 16:22
.... A labor government is also never the friend of aviation

I dunno about that...the Labor Pollies seem to like to get their backsides on the Govt Hawker 850 leather seats (Ironic since they slammed Joh BJ for the Hawker they labeled the “JOH JET” when he was around).

Swapped it out for a Westwind when Labor took power from Joh, but must have realised there was more bragging rights with a Hawker than a Westwind so swapped the swapped Westwind back for a Hawker. (Did that one have gold taps too?).

The Police Aviation side always seemed to be the poor (...super poor?) cousins to the Govt Aviation side.....Crime don’t pay I suppose, especially If you are writing the cheque and you could swan around in a very nice modern Hawker 850 XP (..ps..don’t forget to tell the passengers to hide the wine bottles, could be a little embarrassing to revisit “winegate” during the election.)

Is the Police Citation still working?..It always seemed busy years ago...a rego check shows it at 21 years vs the Hawker at 14 years...further proof that crime don’t pay.

megle2
10th Oct 2020, 05:40
I think the Citation is against a fence or in the hangar corner out of engine hours.

To run the Airwing commercially 601 is correct, need more pilots to cover 24/7.

They had a ex CASA chap create a Ops Manual ect to enable an AOC. Got as far as casa saying they are ready to give it a tick to start but Airwing ( QGA ) decided to let it rest. Management pilots came and went, some got as far as casa approval, some were taxpayer endorsed on Hawker then left, some endorsed on Citation then it ran out of engine time. One would guess the hourly cost to the taxpayer must be a lot higher these days. Maybe Lifeflight should take it over

Square Bear
10th Oct 2020, 08:54
Informative post Merle2.

Question....If the Citation IS out of action, and as it is a now a combined Air Unit under the QGAir Banner, if say an urgent Police Callout X BNE was needed to the regions would the Hawker be used, or is that left for ministerial duties?

10th Oct 2020, 12:37
Ministerial duties used to be near the bottom of the pile. Could have changed in the last 20 years.
Does a esky wanting to be picked up in Auckland still have it over a pollie in Wepia?.

TBM-Legend
11th Oct 2020, 02:03
Ministerial duties used to be near the bottom of the pile. Could have changed in the last 20 years.
Does a esky wanting to be picked up in Auckland still have it over a pollie in Wepia?.

Or a bottle of wine at Lockhart River...

megle2
11th Oct 2020, 05:02
The Hawker or King Air are used on police work as required and yes the transplant flights have highest priority.

11th Oct 2020, 12:50
Or a bottle of wine at Lockhart River...
As far as I know, no one ever tested the contents of the bottle - could have been water for all we know.

12th Oct 2020, 02:14
Poorer cousins is sort of right, disowned is more apt.
Like that for 30 years.

15th Oct 2020, 04:46
Yep Citation sold, QPS get to use the KingAir at times but Hawker is kept for others. Technically esky still has priority over pollies.

the dictators, sorry Managers, have own interests in mind. Very sad existence for crew. Morale is through the floor.

15th Oct 2020, 06:20
Oh by the way. How did they get an AOC with a HOFO that is not rated on anything that they have? How?

holdingagain
15th Oct 2020, 08:00
They haven’t progressed to activating the AOC as they delayed even though casa was ready to push button.
Management pilots ( advertised as Chief Pilot but no approval so really just another pilot at that point ) come and go. You can have a AOC with the CP not endorsed if you nominate a type expert on staff ( as I understand it ). Just to add for a oddity the “CP” gets less pay than a line pilot as far as I’m aware. Interesting setup.

Zinfandel
29th Oct 2020, 11:44
So have they filled all the positions that were advertised recently?

neville_nobody
30th Oct 2020, 05:53
If its government employees in government aircraft why would they need an AOC? You'd be crazy to go down that path if you didn't have to.

holdingagain
30th Oct 2020, 07:49
Crazy yes, but as explained to me a great way to create a new empire within the Govt and Casa were also keen to expand their control over large private operators. Win win for stupidity

oscar duce
1st Nov 2020, 04:46
I’m told it is the worst it has ever been now they have JG in control
He was responsible for more than enough damage in his previous positions.

12th Nov 2020, 04:30
Yep they have an AOC, issued in August I’m told. Now I hear that JG is even over ruling engineers. What a cluster.

12th Nov 2020, 11:37
Holder Name: STATE OF QUEENSLAND REPRESENTED BY PUBLIC SAFETY BUSINESS AGENCY
Town/City: PINKENBA
State: QLD
AOC Holder Country: Australia
Type of AOC: Aerial Work, Aircraft Charter, CASR 142
AOC Application Status: Issued
Issue Date: 21/05/2020
Expiry Date: 30/04/2022
Holder Name: STATE OF QUEENSLAND REPRESENTED BY PUBLIC SAFETY BUSINESS AGENCY
Town/City: PINKENBA
State: QLD
Type of AOC: Aircraft Charter
AOC Application Status: Issued
Issue Date: 26/08/2020
Expiry Date: 31/08/2021

megle2
13th Nov 2020, 01:29
New rumour is air wing is now part of police so I guess AOC will have to be corrected

Stationair8
24th Nov 2020, 05:37
Advertising for flight crew on AFAP website.

limbang
24th Nov 2020, 22:57
Cairns - B1900 maintenance assigned to third party. Sign of things to come?

CAVOK92
25th Nov 2020, 08:58
They have been hiring crew and aircraft from a third party organisation as well. Would make a lot of sense to just contract the whole thing.

Al Fentanyl
28th Nov 2020, 01:26
They have been hiring crew and aircraft from a third party organisation as well. Would make a lot of sense to just contract the whole thing.
They've managed to privatise (sorry contract) helicopter rescue in Qld, at 30% more cost than the Gov rescue setup with the exact same aircraft and crewing. Would be interesting to see how much a private operator could screw out of the Gov for FW services as well. Possibly even the same profit-driven private operator. Love that Government money! Bottomless well to supply the endless trough.

havick
28th Nov 2020, 07:47
They've managed to privatise (sorry contract) helicopter rescue in Qld, at 30% more cost than the Gov rescue setup with the exact same aircraft and crewing. Would be interesting to see how much a private operator could screw out of the Gov for FW services as well. Possibly even the same profit-driven private operator. Love that Government money! Bottomless well to supply the endless trough.

Do you know the actual overall costs of the government operation, or are you just floating this to get a rise?

Also, how much downtime has the government operation had without penalties applied? How much aircraft downtime has the contracted company had by comparison due MX/crewing/whatever?

I don’t work for either but just curious.

Al Fentanyl
28th Nov 2020, 22:11
RW services were recently reviewed by the Govt. Info from that.

havick
29th Nov 2020, 02:13
RW services were recently reviewed by the Govt. Info from that.

That’s a pretty vague deflection. I know government rotary wing assets often have sat grounded for extremely long periods in years gone by with little to no recourse.

Had that have been a contracted operator, penalties would have been huge.

I’m not for, or against either model. Just pointing out what has happened in the past.

CAVOK92
29th Nov 2020, 05:23
Looking at the fixed wing section they appear to be run reasonably efficiently. And given the nature of the work when there is a break down chartering out the work isn’t an issue. The only questionable part is, quite often when they are short of their own pilots they bring in contract crew from a 3rd party who are not QG air employees. How they manage to call it private ops is beyond me. CASA are unofficially turning a blind eye to the whole thing.

megan
29th Nov 2020, 10:29
How they manage to call it private ops is beyond meNot sure of the point you're trying to make, unless things have changed, flew for a private operator, maintenance, C & T etc was all done by the operators employees, pilots brought in from a commercial operator were a feature for many years to fill slots alongside the in house company pilots.

Al Fentanyl
30th Nov 2020, 17:49
That’s a pretty vague deflection. I know government rotary wing assets often have sat grounded for extremely long periods in years gone by with little to no recourse.

Had that have been a contracted operator, penalties would have been huge.

I’m not for, or against either model. Just pointing out what has happened in the past.

Not deflection, just not seeing any need to go chapter and verse on a Rumour Forum. You want more info, it's easy enough to find.

The contracted commercial profit making operator is subject to performance obligations and failure penalties BECAUSE they are a contracted, commercial, profit making operator. The Govt operator clearly is not and their KPIs suggest they do at least as good a job for a lot less tax payer money.

oscar duce
30th Nov 2020, 20:53
Rumour that funds for up to 4 new aircraft to be announced in the Qld budget.

1st Feb 2021, 01:17
Well that may or may not be true, time will tell. Things are only going from bad to worse, in the last few months 3 engineers and 2 pilots have departed from the FW side of house. Can’t stand the toxic environment any longer apparently. So who is going to drive and maintain the current fleet let alone any new cabs.

1st Feb 2021, 23:52
Would make a lot of sense to just contract the whole thing.
How would a commercial operator do this.
Fly a minister to Longreach and arrive midafternoon.
Settle in for the night. Get a call that the aircraft is required for a heart/lung retrieval from Nelson in NZ.

Plan and fly back empty to BN.

New crew plan the NZ flight.
Fly to Nelson.
Wait a minimum of 6 hours on the ground.
Sleep in the aircraft.
Fly to Auckland for fuel and Customs.
Fly back to Brisbane.

The NZ flight is way over the duty limits for any AOC operations.

How would an AOC holder conduct that flight.
Private operations is the only way to conduct that flight unless you positioned a crew in Nelson.
Organ retrievals do not give time to position crew.

The above is not fantasy. It does happen.

lucille
2nd Feb 2021, 00:48
Could they not arrange for road transport of the organs to CHC to meet the aircraft as it lands? Makes more sense on every level when you take the constraints that you mention into account. Contrary to popular opinion, crews on Private Ops also suffer from fatigue.

Roj approved
2nd Feb 2021, 03:49
Could they not arrange for road transport of the organs to CHC to meet the aircraft as it lands? Makes more sense on every level when you take the constraints that you mention into account. Contrary to popular opinion, crews on Private Ops also suffer from fatigue.

that is not how organ transfer works, its incredible time critical and the whole "operation" is very well orchestrated by the different medical teams.

4th Feb 2021, 03:13
Could they not arrange for road transport of the organs to CHC to meet the aircraft as it lands?\

Depends where the organs are.
If it is in location other than a major city, the retrieval team travel on the outbound flight and conducts the recovery of the organs which can be up to 6 hours for a heart retrieval.
They then fly back on the aircraft and then do the transplant operation.

If the organs are in a location where the local surgeons have been trained for organ retrieval, you may only have to pickup an esky.

Contrary to popular opinion, crews on Private Ops also suffer from fatigue
Sure, but sleeping on makeshift bed in a spare office at the airport or in the aircraft for 6 hours does reduce the fatigue.

oscar duce
5th Feb 2021, 04:15
Its a shame that Queensland Government Air will never be a well-run, efficient, professional, or safe organisation. From an outsider’s perspective you would think that with well paid staff and a seemingly unrestricted budget (compared to the private sector anyway) they would be at the top of the industry.

However, with all management at director level and above having a complete lack of experience, knowledge or even some understanding of how to manage the operation they are seemingly conspiring to destroy the operation due to their complete lack of experience and ability to make simple decisions.

This coupled with a culture of Secrecy, Lies, Narcotism, Bullying, and non-compliance from above, it’s a wonder they are even permitted to operate.

havick
6th Feb 2021, 19:07
You nailed it. What a toxic place its become because of directors who are not only incompetent but also there to feed their huge egos - Running joke that they have to tick these boxes to get a director job. Beware anyone thinking of applying for a job at this place. People who used to be proud to work for this government aviation service are now desperate to get out but covid19 has made it challenging to find other work in the industry. Why hasn't the minister, COO, union, CASA stepped in yet to investigate this place when all the signs of incompetence are leading to an unsafe workplace. Why are they turning a blind eye to the staff turnover and people having to take leave to deal with stress, anxiety worry, bullying. I've worked in toxic environments before but QGAIR blows them all out of the water.

Do you have any specific examples of an unsafe workplace? I definitely disagree with other opinions that an in-house govt operation is run better than contracting some parts out. That being said if you’re going to sling mud, make sure you’re specific if you want it to stick.

7th Feb 2021, 06:45
Why hasn't the minister, COO, union, CASA stepped in yet to investigate this place when all the signs of incompetence are leading to an unsafe workplace.
When you have layer upon layer of managers in what once was just Joh and his pilot, things can spiral out of control..
It has grown and grown, The number of pilots remained pretty well static but the organisation has become top heavy.

megle2
7th Feb 2021, 20:22
Huge expansion of management even though there are less pilots and flying. Mixing private jet ops with AOC ops on King Air must be interesting

havick
8th Feb 2021, 01:52
Think of human factors and the training we all get in this industry- does a workforce on edge and constantly stressed out sound safe. No trust in toxic management, constant worries about your job and colleagues and effects to mental health are big parts of what leads to distractions that then leads to an unsafe workplace. Picture being at work in any job let alone aviation and needing to focus on your work but your mind is taken over by stress on a daily basis- it's a recipe for errors and mistakes that flow on to other parts of your work and not just in your own space. Think of the swiss cheese holes lining up - safety 101.

That’s vague and generic, not specific examples.

Hamley
8th Feb 2021, 13:04
That’s vague and generic, not specific examples.

I’m sure mr Jaynus isn’t naive enough to provide examples specific enough to incriminate himself.

He has offered up a general description. What do you want to know his ARN? His favourite colour?

Ascend Charlie
9th Feb 2021, 04:04
This coupled with a culture of Secrecy, Lies, Narcotism, Bullying,

They are all on drugs??? Or auto-correct fixing "nepotism"

31st Mar 2021, 20:37
Another pilot out the door, they must have virtually zero Hawker pilots left. The toxic environment strikes again.

31st Mar 2021, 23:50
Another pilot out the door, they must have virtually zero Hawker pilots left. The toxic environment strikes again.
Are you referring to the two who have just retired.
From Hansard

Gavin Turner and John McGee are pilots in the Government Air Wing. Gaven has been in the captain’s seat for 37 years and John for 13½ years. The Government Air Wing’s first job is organ transfer. It is a big state. The pilots can be called upon at any time and in almost any weather to fly these mercy missions. They also fly after monsoons and cyclones. They do a tremendous job. I have always felt safe in the aircraft when Gaven and John are there. I want to wish them all the very best on their retirement and thank them for their service and duty. I know that when they do organ retrievals they love hearing that it has gone well and a life has been saved. There is a reason Queenslanders walk that little bit taller, and that is because of Queenslanders like these.

I wish them both well in their well deserved retirement

Beechedasbro
14th Apr 2021, 23:45
Are you referring to the two who have just retired.

There was a third I believe... I understand he pulled the pin because of new management’s inflexibility with rostering practices which made it untenable for him to continue what had been a good working relationship for a number of years.

Word is that the other two Gents both elected to retire earlier than planned because of toxic management...

Beechedasbro
15th Apr 2021, 00:00
Its a shame that Queensland Government Air will never be a well-run, efficient, professional, or safe organisation. From an outsider’s perspective you would think that with well paid staff and a seemingly unrestricted budget (compared to the private sector anyway) they would be at the top of the industry.

However, with all management at director level and above having a complete lack of experience, knowledge or even some understanding of how to manage the operation they are seemingly conspiring to destroy the operation due to their complete lack of experience and ability to make simple decisions.

This coupled with a culture of Secrecy, Lies, Narcotism, Bullying, and non-compliance from above, it’s a wonder they are even permitted to operate.

I reckon you’re pretty much on point OD... except I would say that despite (mis)management’s worst efforts, from what I have seen frontline operational staff and crews are doing good work, and safety is a high priority.

I am guessing too that the purse strings have been pulled tight as a result of the fiscal disaster caused by the pandemic so certainly not an “unrestricted budget” anymore, but you’re point is well made - with knowledgeable management and effective leadership potentially an industry leader!

Grover 20
11th Feb 2022, 02:49
Does anyone know that the current status of the Hawker Jet? It appears to have been mothballed in the hangar since the middle of last year

oscar duce
12th Feb 2022, 08:18
Does anyone know that the current status of the Hawker Jet? It appears to have been mothballed in the hangar since the middle of last year

Word is has been sitting unused for months and now sold in a completely transparent tender process at a bargain basement price to a US based dealer.

SITTINGBULL
12th Feb 2022, 12:55
Word is has been sitting unused for months and now sold in a completely transparent tender process at a bargain basement price to a US based dealer.

Ahhh yes!
These days it's bad press to have crooks and politicians alike caught stepping off a private jet funded by Joe taxpayer.

megle2
13th Feb 2022, 05:06
Word is the Premier prefers to charter a jet rather than use the Govt King Air 350 so it’s been a handy charter boost.

Capt Fathom
13th Feb 2022, 05:32
Why would you waste taxpayer money on charters when you have the Kingair(s)?

The Premier could hitch a ride on PSK which transverses QLD almost daily. That would give her a chance to chat to the locals! :E

Alice Kiwican
13th Feb 2022, 07:16
Why would you waste taxpayer money on charters when you have the Kingair(s)?

The Premier could hitch a ride on PSK which transverses QLD almost daily. That would give her a chance to chat to the locals! :E

Why would the Premier want to travel around the state in a Kingair when she can waste taxpayers money chartering a corporate jet?

lucille
13th Feb 2022, 22:09
Faster, quieter (inside), minimal vibration etc. etc… And most importantly, sipping Moët in Kingair, just doesn’t cut it.

Stationair8
14th Feb 2022, 01:10
Propeller planes are so last century!

non_state_actor
14th Feb 2022, 02:13
These days it's bad press to have crooks and politicians alike caught stepping off a private jet funded by Joe taxpayer.

That's just a retarded Australian mentality. Everywhere else in the world it's normal for many reasons. It's funny that 3rd world countries have better and more practical equipment than Australia who has a higher standard of living and very high tax rates to fund government.
The media in Europe or the US wouldn't blink an eye to anyone flying in a private jet but in Australia it's like you have been caught in a major scandal. I guess it goes to show how petty and backwards the Australian media really is.

Capt Fathom
14th Feb 2022, 04:56
Joh loved the Kingair.

It was a big step up from the Navajo, then the Pressurised Navajo that followed.

I think Joh was gone by the time the first Hawker arrived.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x808/0069407_b95bb81e09109a4556a0f93667a41336250a88c1.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x1026/0087194_dae48ae74be99e4b119057947889e0089add46fe.jpg

Office Update
1st Oct 2022, 22:03
Subscribe to the Cairns Post (https://www.cairnspost.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=CPWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cairnspost.com.au%2Fnews%2Fqueensland %2Ftaxpayers-to-pay-off-palaszczuk-governments-157m-bill-for-new-air-fleet%2Fnews-story%2F731b874b015dd6647dac31a60241e6e2&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium)

Story behind paywall ......

megle2
1st Oct 2022, 22:46
Story been around a few months now, a bunch of King Airs and maybe something else to replace Hawker which disappeared and now maybe in Sydney
King Airs to provide police transport

AnotherFSO
2nd Oct 2022, 05:52
From the Qld government media release website:New QPS aircraft fleet has Queensland coveredPublished Today at 12:35 PM

Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
The Honourable Mark Ryan

A fleet of replacement aircraft to be delivered to the Queensland Police Service Aviation Capability Group will provide enhanced life-saving organ retrieval capabilities and further bolster community safety across Queensland.

The new aircraft will provide the operational capability to conduct organ retrieval flights to locations anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.

Highlighting the importance of these life-saving missions, in the last 18 months alone, the Queensland Police Service Aviation Capability Group has conducted more than 100 organ retrieval operations.

That’s around six organ retrievals per month or around one per week.

Acting Police Minister Mark Furner joined Acting Assistant Commissioner Marcus Hill today to announce the QPS’ purchase of the new aircraft which will replace its ageing and antiquated fix-wing aircraft fleet.

“Following extensive consultation and evaluation, the QPS has purchased two new mid-sized jets and five new turbo prop aircraft to replace the current outdated fleet,” Minister Furner said.

“The modern aircraft will boost capacity and capability across its extensive government operations which includes life-saving organ transfers, specialist police operations, general transportation to remote areas and prisoner transfers.

“This investment will ensure regional communities and the south-east corner alike are safeguarded with versatile aircraft capable of deploying specialist police, assisting in search and rescues and providing disaster relief at a moment’s notice.”

Acting Assistant Commissioner Marcus Hill said the purchase includes five Beechcraft King Air 360 turboprops which will be based in Cairns, Mount Isa and Brisbane and two Gulfstream G280 jets which will be based in Brisbane.

“The modern turboprops will have cargo accessibility to help transport important supplies during disasters and special police equipment which can be transported anywhere in Queensland or Australia.

“They will also be pressurised, allowing them to travel higher and faster and attend to urgent jobs quicker.”

A/Assistant Commissioner Hill said the two jets replace the old Citation and Hawker jets which were recently sold after reaching the end of their economic and operational life.

“The new jets have been purposely designed with a utility interior fit out to ensure they are adequate for a range of transportation requirements while representing value-for-money,” he said.

He said the Aviation Capability Group was responsible for providing aviation services for multiple government departments across Queensland including QPS, Queensland Ambulance Service, Queensland Corrective Services, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services, Queensland Health and other agencies.

“Demand for aviation services continues to rise significantly and this replacement fleet will ensure we have the capacity and capability to effectively manage these services for communities across the state now and into the future,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Hill said.

“Our fixed-wing aircraft are extremely versatile and enable specialist police officers and equipment such as the dive squad, our Special Emergency Response Team (SERT) and the Explosive Ordinance Response Team (EORT) to be deployed virtually anywhere in Queensland or Australia.

“The new fleet will mean a reduction in the number of different aircraft type, gaining efficiencies by having pilots and engineering capability more able to be spread across a common fleet rather than having a complex mix of different aircraft.”

The new aircraft will be introduced over the next two years and will bring the total fixed wing fleet to nine aircraft in addition to the rotary wing and remotely piloted aircraft systems.

Fast Facts

Seven new QPS aircraft purchased to replace ageing fleet
ACG’s fixed-wing aircraft have been involved in more than 100 life-saving organ retrievals in past 18 months
Gulfstream G280 jets can travel more than 6,000km in one trip

Office Update
3rd Oct 2022, 00:05
Broken election promise .... No more aircraft, regardless

2 Gulfstream G-280 jets

5 Beech 360 Super King Air

Mr Approach
3rd Oct 2022, 00:21
Queensland is as big as Europe, don't you think a sensible Government would have a small fleet of aircraft to make sure country people do not miss out on representation.
I understand the police use them to get specialist officers to where they are needed and transport prisoners without having to put them on commercial flights.
We know they are also used for high priority organ transplant transport.
Nobody seems to complain about the BBJs and Falcons based in Canberra for the Feds
So, What's not to like?

Blueocean505
3rd Oct 2022, 00:50
Queensland is as big as Europe, don't you think a sensible Government would have a small fleet of aircraft to make sure country people do not miss out on representation.
I understand the police use them to get specialist officers to where they are needed and transport prisoners without having to put them on commercial flights.
We know they are also used for high priority organ transplant transport.
Nobody seems to complain about the BBJs and Falcons based in Canberra for the Feds
So, What's not to like?

Well said,
And those who don't like it would have no problem accepting a vital organ flown in for a loved one in need!

Cloudee
3rd Oct 2022, 02:07
Queensland is as big as Europe

Your geography needs a bit of work. The total area of Australia is 7,692,024 sq km, and the total area of Europe is 10,180,000 sq km.
Queensland area is 1,853,000 sq km.

compressor stall
3rd Oct 2022, 02:41
Your geography needs a bit of work. The total area of Australia is 7,692,024 sq km, and the total area of Europe is 10,180,000 sq km.
Queensland area is 1,853,000 sq km.
Maybe so, but the distance from London to Bucharest is less than Brisbane to Horn Island.

megle2
3rd Oct 2022, 03:05
The Citation ran out of engine hours about 3 years ago and the Hawker had a time ex engine about 2 years ago so neither jet has been missed

Covid came and organ transfers reduced accordingly but local jet charter companies filled the gap easily. The Premier also preferred the charter jets over that slow King Air that was sitting in the back of the hangar virtually unused

The minister has stated that there was about 1 organ transfer per week average so why does the taxpayer need the two new jets each much larger than the replaced old Hawker to cover so few transplants

I suppose it’s too early yet to see what pay is on offer or whether the new hangar will have crew rest facilities like the rotary wing guys have

Do the Caravans remain or are the King Airs replacing them

The Banjo
3rd Oct 2022, 05:29
Joh loved the Kingair.

It was a big step up from the Navajo, then the Pressurised Navajo that followed.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x808/0069407_b95bb81e09109a4556a0f93667a41336250a88c1.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x1026/0087194_dae48ae74be99e4b119057947889e0089add46fe.jpg
Joh also thought that Beryl was a good pilot too.....

Blueocean505
3rd Oct 2022, 05:40
The Citation ran out of engine hours about 3 years ago and the Hawker had a time ex engine about 2 years ago so neither jet has been missed

Covid came and organ transfers reduced accordingly but local jet charter companies filled the gap easily. The Premier also preferred the charter jets over that slow King Air that was sitting in the back of the hangar virtually unused

The minister has stated that there was about 1 organ transfer per week average so why does the taxpayer need the two new jets each much larger than the replaced old Hawker to cover so few transplants

I suppose it’s too early yet to see what pay is on offer or whether the new hangar will have crew rest facilities like the rotary wing guys have

Do the Caravans remain or are the King Airs replacing them

From a friend working there- The horn Island Caravan is staying (For the short runways in the Torres) and the Mt Isa one will become a spare. Unsure where the spare will be kept!

The Cairns, Mt Isa bases will have B360’s. The Bn base Gulfstreams and B360’s

3rd Oct 2022, 13:23
He certainly was Premier when the first BAE-125 arrived.
After all VH-SGY was called the "Joh Jet"
VH-SGY (https://www.airhistory.net/photo/32286/VH-SGY)

Morning Glory
5th Nov 2022, 07:22
Some not so positive comments on this site from a few years back. Keen to know, have things turned around?
From what Google says this operation now seems to structurally fall under QLD PolAir, surely that wouldn't have hurt?
Here's hoping it's an enjoyable place to work. The ops sure sound interesting from outside looking in.
PMs also welcome 🚁

Alice Kiwican
11th May 2023, 23:44
I see they are looking for pilots again n Brisbane. Does anyone have any current information on working conditions, rostering, staff morale etc? When do the B360’s arrive?

Asking for a friend…….

BO0M
14th May 2023, 02:53
I see they are looking for pilots again n Brisbane. Does anyone have any current information on working conditions, rostering, staff morale etc? When do the B360’s arrive?

Asking for a friend…….

They have been advertising since COVID kicked off. The advert goes up, everyone applies then theres nothing for 6 months before the advert is removed and you get an email saying the position no longer exists, then rinse and repeat all over again. That in itself is an indication something isn't quite right in the place. That said I don't know anybody working there so it could be qiute good.

megle2
23rd Apr 2024, 22:24
Well it’s been awhile, where are the jets? I see one new King Air VH 8TT arrived and flying last week, wondering if the other 4 are still coming

B&Blue
23rd Apr 2024, 23:57
Well it’s been awhile, where are the jets? I see one new King Air VH 8TT arrived and flying last week, wondering if the other 4 are still coming
jets are initially assembled Israel and then fitted out in Georgia - I guess the current situation in Israel delaying everything

megle2
24th Apr 2024, 02:08
Adding to my comment above the 1900 appears to be for sale
https://www.aviationtrader.com.au/listing/for-sale/231816739/1999-beechcraft-1900d-turboprop-aircraft

AnotherFSO
24th Apr 2024, 05:13
In related news -- a media release from the Queensland Government:

The Miles Government will provide the Queensland Police Service with funding to establish a Polair helicopter capability for Cairns and the Far North.

The decision follows advice from Queensland Police and strong advocacy from Cairns MPs on behalf of their local communities.

Polair operational capabilities have proved extraordinarily successful in South-East Queensland and in Townsville.

Police advise that Polair capability can significantly enhance police operations in regional areas.

Polair helicopters deliver advanced camera, thermal imaging and night vision capability.

Polair aircraft are deployed on a daily basis to assist police operations including tracking offenders, surveillance operations and search and rescue missions.

This new Polair capability will be able to assist police officers conducting operations across Cairns and the Far North.

The Queensland Police Service will now embark on a process to establish an interim capability ahead of a full procurement process to secure an appropriate aircraft and operator for a permanent and dedicated capability for the region.

Timeframes for its commencement will be announced following market sounding for an interim solution.

+ various quotes from Ministers etc

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/100184

Image: Barron River MP Craig Crawford, Premier Steven Miles and Minister Michael Healy in Townsville
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x768/web_akqv0ooh_2d0ab1e3e593e4c22cd6df5f57494c46cf55cda8.jpeg